Replace the CEO first

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Before finding committing to a new manager would be the smart play.

Woodward leaves his post in 2 months so the timing is such

my choice is bring in VDS as CEO. He’s done sterling work at Ajax but hasn’t ruled us out in the past. He’s a football man and well liked by United fans. As he is a football man he should then have a say who he’d like to work with.

then appoint the new manager

Caesar2290

If we can meme Ten Hag into being manager of Manchester United, than maybe we could meme Edwin as our CEO. Fellow muppets, assemble! :drool: :devil:

Revan

Assumptionman
VDS as CEO would be the greatest thing that has happened to this club in a very long time. And likely would cost the Glazers less than having another incompetent idiot in charge (I am assuming that Arnold is gonna be similar to Woodward).

However, we need a new manager now. Get the new manager now, get VDS at end of the season, he builds his team (DoF etc), and decides to keep or replace the manager.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Isn't it going to be/is Arnold now?

I'd agree though - do an whole clear out of everyone involved in footballing matters.

Bwuk

I agree with both points, especially if we appoint a new manager on a permanent basis.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband

my choice is bring in VDS as CEO. He’s done sterling work at Ajax but hasn’t ruled us out in the past. He’s a football man and well liked by United fans. As he is a football man he should then have a say who he’d like to work with.

Wait for 2 more months with the current manager?

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Hasn't a guy called Richard Arnold got the job? So unlikely VDS will be coming in.

I suspect there is a good chance that Arnold may want to bring in a new manager as whenever there is someone new in charge of a company they normally like to make their own appointments.

Flytan

Well the new CEO after woodward was already decided and we added fletcher and murtough recently. I agree we should clear them all but it's never happening with the current owners.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Not sure what is the fascination with CEO. Will he or she teach our defence how to defend? Or will they teach attacking patterns or pressing ? It’s a lazy excuse that is given up every time a manager fails. Ole has been backed to the hill and almost every target of his has been acquired. 3 years down the line we can’t even defend or press is not management fault.

hungrywing

If we can meme Ten Hag into being manager of Manchester United, than maybe we could meme Edwin as our CEO. Fellow muppets, assemble! :drool: :devil:
step 1. Start a thread where posters each write a heartfelt letter to VdS.
step 2. media gets whiff of it, prints some of the 'better' ones.
step 3. Edwin is moved.
step 4. win three CLs over the next ten years.

He’s apparently staying till April :lol:

When this tweet popped up yesterday, it wasn't discussed much; not many people understand what might be going on. There's a fairly high chance there's been a war of sorts going on between OGS and Woodward. A lot of subtle jockeying for position and influence.

ti vu

Not sure what is the fascination with CEO. Will he or she teach our defence how to defend? Or will they teach attacking patterns or pressing ? It’s a lazy excuse that is given up every time a manager fails. Ole has been backed to the hill and almost every target of his has been acquired. 3 years down the line we can’t even defend or press is not management fault.
Who tried to sell the club to Klopp using illusion of Adult's Disneyland?

The answer would give the answer to why CEO position can influence the lower level positions at club, despite not involved in micro management. Have a look the dumbest decision thread for a quick reminder of some of the dumb decision made by executive level people at the club. If those things had been done differently, it may have steered the club in better direction.

golden_blunder

Staff
A footballing CEO would know better from being inside the club whether to stick with someone or get rid. A footballing CEO would see what’s happening at training sessions and could tell if the manager is out of his depth. A footballing CEO would have the best interests of the football club at heart.

I didn’t realise Arnold was definite, I thought he was just a possibility. VDS would have been smarter for the Glazers for multiple reasons

GazTheLegend

@hungrywing
When this tweet popped up yesterday, it wasn't discussed much; not many people understand what might be going on. There's a fairly high chance there's been a war of sorts going on between OGS and Woodward. A lot of subtle jockeying for position and influence.
This isn't how it works. There is no jockeying for position or influence, Woodward is Solskjaers direct boss. If there was a war, then Solskjaer would be nuked without reply, make no mistake on that.

JPB

The VDS and Ten Hag duo would be the perfect combination. Let's hope we get it somehow.

redshaw

Some ex players that end up in more advisory roles are living in a country they're settled down in. The playing career is where most will move across Europe and beyond every few years, they earn the money then settle down with an easier role back home. I don't think VDS wants to come, he's expressed his support but would prefer to stay where he is. Depends on the person of course, big pay increases, short playing careers, perhaps a player didn't move much.

golden_blunder

Staff
But he's not a money man eh Glazers?
His degree was in marketing and that’s where he started his post-playing career before promotion to CEO. Imagine having a recognisable football figure talking to sponsors instead of a corporate nobody. It might actually work in our favour. Especially if he gets the football side progressing too

Revan

Assumptionman
A footballing CEO would know better from being inside the club whether to stick with someone or get rid. A footballing CEO would see what’s happening at training sessions and could tell if the manager is out of his depth. A footballing CEO would have the best interests of the football club at heart.

I didn’t realise Arnold was definite, I thought he was just a possibility. VDS would have been smarter for the Glazers for multiple reasons
To be fair, it does not need to be a football CEO. Some of the best CEOs ever (Bernabeu, Perez, Laporta, Berlusconi, Agnelli the old one) have not been first and foremost, football people. They were very good at what they did, so it was all grand. Heck, our own Martin Edwards and David Gill were quite good CEOs. Of course, football people can be good CEOs too e.g., Rummennige.

Ed has been absolutely shit, and Arnold was his top lieutenant. No wonder we are not hopeful that Arnold will do much better.

Ralaks

He’s apparently staying till April :lol:

step 1. Start a thread where posters each write a heartfelt letter to VdS.
step 2. media gets whiff of it, prints some of the 'better' ones.
step 3. Edwin is moved.
step 4. win three CLs over the next ten years.

I kind of wonder about the source of it, I've tried to look both at Mark Ogden's twitter and ESPN.co.uk, I can't seem to find any mention of this. Maybe I am just bad at searching, but seems like a dodgy tweet

Nick7

I kind of wonder about the source of it, I've tried to look both at Mark Ogden's twitter and ESPN.co.uk, I can't seem to find any mention of this. Maybe I am just bad at searching, but seems like a dodgy tweet
Maybe it's fake. Can't say I'd be surprised though.

golden_blunder

Staff
Some ex players that end up in more advisory roles are living in a country they're settled down in. The playing career is where most will move across Europe and beyond every few years, they earn the money then settle down with an easier role back home. I don't think VDS wants to come, he's expressed his support but would prefer to stay where he is. Depends on the person of course, big pay increases, short playing careers, perhaps a player didn't move much.
He didn’t rule it out in the past. I see it like any other job, you want to challenge yourself at the best. The fact that he played in England so long and italy before that showed me he’s not afraid of moving around

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I'll be the most useful of the avengers ie Hawkeye.

hungrywing

@hungrywing

This isn't how it works. There is no jockeying for position or influence, Woodward is Solskjaers direct boss. If there was a war, then Solskjaer would be nuked without reply, make no mistake on that.
Again, it'd be more subtle than that.

Take a guy who thinks he knows everything, been calling the shots for years, over time being criticized and even lampooned for those shots. Hires a new employee, but still wants to be 'the big guy' in many areas. New employee does things and is 'more successful'. Internally, "Big Boss" loses influence. On paper, duh he can fire the new guy, but he knows he'd look petty/jealous/stupid/weak. So he can't just do it. Think Gladiator.

Maybe he goes over the new guy's head and signs a player. Maybe the new guy doesn't play that player to put the big boss 'in his place.'

golden_blunder

Staff
To be fair, it does not need to be a football CEO. Some of the best CEOs ever (Bernabeu, Perez, Laporta, Berlusconi, Agnelli the old one) have not been first and foremost, football people. They were very good at what they did, so it was all grand. Heck, our own Martin Edwards and David Gill were quite good CEOs. Of course, football people can be good CEOs too e.g., Rummennige.

Ed has been absolutely shit, and Arnold was his top lieutenant. No wonder we are not hopeful that Arnold will do much better.
you’re right, it doesn’t need to be. But it’s preferable especially as in VDS’s case he seems to tick all the boxes. The timing fits too.
imagine VDS getting involved in transfer talks.
It just fits.

maybe it’s too smart for the glazers. Maybe they just want a shrill

Spoony

The People's President
His degree was in marketing and that’s where he started his post-playing career before promotion to CEO. Imagine having a recognisable football figure talking to sponsors instead of a corporate nobody. It might actually work in our favour. Especially if he gets the football side progressing too

I want him at OT too, Geebs. He'd give us an identity longer term.

Crimson King

The current Group Managing Director and Woodward's uni chum, Richard Arnold, has basically already been confirmed for the role.

Stop dreaming that we'll get someone competent at running all facets of a football club. You're forgetting who the owners are.

Spoony

The People's President
you’re right, it doesn’t need to be. But it’s preferable especially as in VDS’s case he seems to tick all the boxes. The timing fits too.
imagine VDS getting involved in transfer talks.
It just fits.

maybe it’s too smart for the glazers. Maybe they just want a shrill

Yes. They want a bloke who can maximise revenues. It's very short sighted.

wise_old_man

I thought it was "widely known" that Richard Arnold would replace him directly?

gajender

Wouldn't it be best then to have football people to own the Club as well why just stop at CEO .
It seems redcafe have completely lost it with new threads coming up every other second . You just need competent people who are good at their jobs , footballing background should not be the factor atall but coming back to the VDS it seems he has done well in his role with Ajax so wouldn't harm to atleast explore the possibility unless it's already decided.

Revan

Assumptionman
Yes. They want a bloke who can maximise revenues. It's very short sighted.
Woodward and Arnold were maximizing the revenue, while Gill was CEO, though mostly for football decisions.

So it should not be one or the other.

IWat

Again, it'd be more subtle than that.

Take a guy who thinks he knows everything, been calling the shots for years, over time being criticized and even lampooned for those shots. Hires a new employee, but still wants to be 'the big guy' in many areas. New employee does things and is 'more successful'. Internally, "Big Boss" loses influence. On paper, duh he can fire the new guy, but he knows he'd look petty/jealous/stupid/weak. So he can't just do it. Think Gladiator.

Maybe he goes over the new guy's head and signs a player. Maybe the new guy doesn't play that player to put the big boss 'in his place.'
If you want to usurp your direct line manager, it tends to help if you're an actual star and at the point of being indispensable. Which Ole isn't. If he'd done the treble last season, sure.

hungrywing

Fingers crossed that's the case.

It's just that that tweet emerging right now under these circumstances happens to be very consistent with a personality like Woodward's; someone who thought he was pretty much a goner because of the 'footballing people' at the club making better decisions than he, seeing those 'footballing people' falter and wanting back in. Normally this would be done out of concern, "Oh, should I stay a little longer to help?" With narcissists, there's a smug and haughty 'See, I told you so' element.

golden_blunder

Staff
Wouldn't it be best then to have football people to own the Club as well why just stop at CEO .
It seems redcafe have completely lost it with new threads coming up every other second . You just need competent people who are good at their jobs , footballing background should not be the factor atall but coming back to the VDS it seems he has done well in his role with Ajax so wouldn't harm to atleast explore the possibility unless it's already decided.
Your post is a bit contradictory?

im only talking about getting the structure right and having a footballing CEO, with the benefits of being able to talk football with whoever the manager is and know whether it’s a good plan or not. Someone who can keep a closer eye on the football side

hungrywing

If you want to usurp your direct line manager, it tends to help if you're an actual star and at the point of being indispensable. Which Ole isn't. If he'd done the treble last season, sure.
Not quite sure how something this obvious needs explicit mention, but on the other hand I guess it doesn't hurt. I mean, if you think 'usurp' is anywhere near the realm of possibility, great.

gajender

Your post is a bit contradictory?

im only talking about getting the structure right and having a footballing CEO, with the benefits of being able to talk football with whoever the manager is and know whether it’s a good plan or not. Someone who can keep a closer eye on the football side
Didn't we appoint Murtough and Fletcher for that so what would be their brief exactly and I maybe wrong but I read somewhere our Next CEO wouldn't have the same role as Woodward most of the footballing side would be overseen by Murtough assisted by Fletcher .
We have already moved towards the new structure and it seems with departure of Woodward and Ole they would get additional responsibilities as well.

golden_blunder

Staff
Didn't we appoint Murtough and Fletcher for that so what would be their brief exactly and I maybe wrong but I read somewhere our Next CEO wouldn't have the same role as Woodward most of the footballing side would be overseen by Murtough assisted by Fletcher .
VDS had Overmars doing a similar role at Ajax. Doesn’t mean that a footballing man like VDS can’t get involved in the football side. Transfer talks with players. Imagine VDS talking to you instead of just a corporate shrill. Imagine VDS asking for full footballing future direction when asked to sign off transfer funds, you couldn’t pull the wool over his eyes.
bringing him in doesn’t mean the end of Murtough, it means building better structure