Replace the CEO first

hungrywing

I want him at OT too, Geebs. He'd give us an identity longer term.
Just pick him up and carry him here. It's what you've been training for your whole life...

In the year 2058:
Child: Who's that, mum?
Woman: That's a statue of Spoony, dear. He carried Van der Sar to Old Trafford over mountains and oceans. See? That's Van der Sar on his back, pointing the way.
Child: And then we won all those trophies. (in awe) He was a great man.
Woman: *Is*, dear. He is a great man. *makes no effort to wipe tears of gratitude away* And he always will be.

wise_old_man

But is it official?

I know that’s the rumour. But having Woodward’s friend from Uni changes nothing.
At least Arnold had the sense to cancel all his Monday appointments and ring Joel Glazer directly because he was well aware of how terrible/toxic the situation after that Liverpool debacle had been. So he has a decent awareness of how things are going, instead of burying his head in the sand like many others. So I just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

gajender

VDS had Overmars doing a similar role at Ajax. Doesn’t mean that a footballing man like VDS can’t get involved in the football side. Transfer talks with players. Imagine VDS talking to you instead of just a corporate shrill. Imagine VDS asking for full footballing future direction when asked to sign off transfer funds, you couldn’t pull the wool over his eyes.
bringing him in doesn’t mean the end of Murtough, it means building better structure
I don't think CEO's get involved in transfers directly if you already have sporting directer doing that job and you are overselling the point of footballing great talking to players for transfers anyway , Sir Alex gave complete tour of United to Jude Bellingham along with his family recently but he still choose Dortmund over United.
I would say competence and merit should be the primary factors for any appointments footballing background is just added bonus . I think United's boards problems have been more due to incompetence rather than their non footballing background as such.

wolvored

Hasn't the change already been announced?
Well to put a positive spin on it, Arnold on the financial side and Murtough and Fletcher on the football side will be a split to Deadwood Woodward running the whole kit and kaboodal. This surely has got to be better and certainly cant be worse. Whether its good enough is another matter.

Nytram Shakes

cannot lust
Not sure what is the fascination with CEO. Will he or she teach our defence how to defend? Or will they teach attacking patterns or pressing ? It’s a lazy excuse that is given up every time a manager fails. Ole has been backed to the hill and almost every target of his has been acquired. 3 years down the line we can’t even defend or press is not management fault.
I think the fascination with the CEO is because the football decisions under Woodward have been appalling.

You can trace it back to that first disastrous transfer window under moyes. Then going from LVG to Mourinho, managers with exact opposite styles of play and types of players they like working with, and giving them both 100’s of millions to spend, which was clearly going to create a basket case of a squad.

Then there is the appointment of Ole, a fun temporary manager, but a guy who had failed at Cardiff and done ok at Molde. Who was given the job even after it was clear his great start was a new manager bounce.

So people are obsessed with the CEO because the don’t trust the current hierarchy to get the next appointment right.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't think CEO's get involved in transfers directly if you already have sporting directer doing that job and you are overselling the point of footballing great talking to players for transfers anyway , Sir Alex gave complete tour of United to Jude Bellingham along with his family recently but he still choose Dortmund over United.
I would say competence and merit should be the primary factors for any appointments footballing background is just added bonus . I think United's boards problems have been more due to incompetence rather than their non footballing background as such.
You’re missing the point.

VDS ticks all the competencies

and all the other stuff which surely is a bonus to a football club

Eplel

As much as I despise him, he's not in charge of our tactics and coaching, lack of these are our biggest problem right now.

Lentwood

No....not this time...the CEO isn't picking this side or organising them on the training pitch.

Results can be good or bad but performances count for a huge amount. What I have seen from United this season would embarrass my Sunday league team. We don't concede goals directly from our corners or 3 vs 1 scenario's in the first 5 minutes

gajender

You’re missing the point.

VDS ticks all the competencies

and all the other stuff which surely is a bonus to a football club
I think you missed this from my first post

but coming back to the VDS it seems he has done well in his role with Ajax so wouldn't harm to atleast explore the possibility unless it's already decided.

I have no issues VDS being in the conversation for our CEO if he happens to be the best suited candidate appoint him.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
Yep, that worked well when Fergie and Gill left and Moyes sacked all the back room staff! :nervous:
We are hardly clearing out winners/competence this time though are we :lol:

Also - preferably wouldn't be brining in Moyes and his cronies either.

golden_blunder

Staff
I think you missed this from my first post

but coming back to the VDS it seems he has done well in his role with Ajax so wouldn't harm to atleast explore the possibility unless it's already decided.

I have no issues VDS being in the conversation for our CEO if he happens to be the best suited candidate appoint him.
That’s why I said your post was contradictory, it seemed to be arguing against it too. Anyway let’s move on

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not sure what is the fascination with CEO. Will he or she teach our defence how to defend? Or will they teach attacking patterns or pressing ? It’s a lazy excuse that is given up every time a manager fails. Ole has been backed to the hill and almost every target of his has been acquired. 3 years down the line we can’t even defend or press is not management fault.
I agree with this. First it was all the lack of a DoF’s fault, now we are blaming poor football performances on a CEO.

tomaldinho1

This has become such a diversion debate. There is nothing wrong with the current setup that excuses such bad performances.

If we get to a point where the team has a style, it’s doing well but just behind the league leaders and then we don’t back the manager to really push to the elite level (i.e the window Klopp bought Alisson and Fabinho) it is an issue. As it stands, all the problems lie with coaching staff and players.

e.cantona

Mummy, mummy, diamonds, I want them too
This makes too much sense to ever happen in the world of Manchester United. It's the "obvious" thing to do. Never gonna happen :(

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
The thing I will never understand is that it really is in the Glazers' best interest to actually hire a funcitoning set of execs to manage this club. It costs them money running it this badly. People talk about yes men this and that - but a more competent CEO than Woodward would have created more value in the past 5 seasons and thus delivered them more potential dividends and market cap.

People say 'as long as the dividends are there' the kids could care less, but surely the prospect of getting an additional $5m a year is incentive to pay attention?

Woodward's management should be viewed as a financial crime. He did well initially to spike our commercial revenue, but in the last 3-5 years has done nothing, been overtaken by our peers, wasted countless millions on terrible transfer sagas and delivered precisely 0 trophies, well in the last 3 years anyway.

Zen86

Woody's done such a sterling job at maximising revenues and developing commercial partnerships that I can't see the Glazers appointing anyone who isn't a "money man" unfortunately.

golden_blunder

Staff
I agree with this. First it was all the lack of a DoF’s fault, now we are blaming poor football performances on a CEO.
Agh, read what I said

the CEO is leaving so we have a chance to do it right and get a football man in, which would bring added benefits

im not saying anything other than that

golden_blunder

Staff
This has become such a diversion debate. There is nothing wrong with the current setup that excuses such bad performances.

If we get to a point where the team has a style, it’s doing well but just behind the league leaders and then we don’t back the manager to really push to the elite level (i.e the window Klopp bought Alisson and Fabinho) it is an issue. As it stands, all the problems lie with coaching staff and players.
Another one not reading the OP and picking it up wrong

Kaos

Arnold sounds like he's going to be a Woodward carbon copy. Another accountant and Glazer lackey with absolutely no footballing pedigree or know-how.

The OP is right, so long as we have the same cabal of money-men steering the ship, we're doomed to be stuck in this "almost" purgatory, where we ironically waste obscene amounts of money trying to remain a profitable Disney-like venture, grossly mismanaging our resources and doomed to be repeating the same mistakes. A new manager won't change diddly squat unless they're given full agency regarding all footballing matters which our board won't be willing to give up.

tomaldinho1

Another one not reading the OP and picking it up wrong
But the OP is just saying you think VDS should come in in 2 months, are we to just say 'yay' or 'nay'?

VDS as CEO I don't see how he'd be much different to Woodward - yes he's an ex football player but his responsibilities at Ajax are broadly going to be the same as any CEO. His strength is also not what we need, their business model is essentially developing classes of academy graduates to sell whilst remaining dominant in a relatively non competitive league (for them), he even said it was easier in the Eredivisie because the stakes weren't so high. Woodard is not involved in transfers, that has been confirmed numerous times by the club and himself, by all accounts he's been excellent commercially so I don't really get what you expect VDS would do differently? Aside from being far more liked on a personal level of course.

Murtough seems good so far, even though not a classic DoF and the transfer committee seem good - we've basically got everyone we went after. The structure isn't really an issue for me as we can't realistically change the owners.

Spoony

The People's President
Arnold sounds like he's going to be a Woodward carbon copy. Another accountant and Glazer lackey with absolutely no footballing pedigree or know-how.

The OP is right, so long as we have the same cabal of money-men steering the ship, we're doomed to be stuck in this "almost" purgatory, where we ironically waste obscene amounts of money trying to remain a profitable Disney-like venture, grossly mismanaging our resources and doomed to be repeating the same mistakes. A new manager won't change diddly squat unless they're given full agency regarding all footballing matters which our board won't be willing to give up.
The problem is our revenues have flatlined over the last 5 years. Clearly success on the pitch is key. They got so lucky with Ferguson but everything since has been disastrous, so unless they start a holistic approach starting with footballing men making the decisions we'll keep going around in circles.

golden_blunder

Staff
Hire a caretaker

convince VDS to join in the summer
Get his input NOW as to who he’d like to work with. I suspect TenHag would be the choice and would be prepared to come with him.

Murtough continues in his role. VDS being a football CEO compliments that aims understands better what Murtough and the coaches are trying to build

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Hire a caretaker

convince VDS to join in the summer
Get his input NOW as to who he’d like to work with. I suspect TenHag would be the choice and would be prepared to come with him.

Murtough continues in his role. VDS being a football CEO compliments that aims understands better what Murtough and the coaches are trying to build
Ban all class of 92 members from ever giving an input directly to the club. Let them talk on twitter. Pay them to shut their mouth if needed.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Who gave a direct input?
I have a sneaky feeling these "United way" that we have been trying to follow is due ex players constantly bigging it up and make it so getting away from it is a sin, plus the owners arent very knowledgeable. The club need to change and be way more modern in its approach. 5-0 loss at home against Pool and Gnev immediately trying to protect his mate. Has this ever happened to other top clubs? bringing the 99 and Sir Alex days to justify keeping a manager that is failing. Disappointing. Some of our ex players are too relevant that they can control the narrative.

redpatron

Yeah lets replace the guy who figured out how to sign varane, sancho, and the return of ronaldo. But not replace the guy who doesn't even know how to properly use them.

The fanbase here is more lost than our back four.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Woodward should be gone the second United were to participate in Super League. Didn't happen. Ole resigning after Liverpool. Didn't happen.

Nothing happens. Club being reduced to bunch of stock market shares for sale. That's actually the only thing happening right now.

golden_blunder

Staff
Yeah lets replace the guy who figured out how to sign varane, sancho, and the return of ronaldo. But not replace the guy who doesn't even know how to properly use them.

The fanbase here is more lost than our back four.
Another one that doesn’t understand what he’s replying too

hungrywing

:lol: We are the banter club now
Inside the footballing world, we've been "the banter club" since Woodward opened his mouth. AKA since around 2013. In general, people reaaaaaaaaaaally don't understand this; case in point all the 'Woodward is a financial genius' sentiment that persisted until around a year ago. (and un-ironic major props to everyone who's changed their tune regarding that) It affects everything, from contract negotiations to signing players like Pogba to managers not wanting to come here.

RedDevil@84

Is VDS looking for a new challenge? Else the whole thing seems a bit far fetched or even entitled to think that we would be able to kidnap everyone from Ajax to here.

midou

It is time to make big decisions in Man United which means it is time for fecking clown Ed Woodward to show the world once again why he is the biggest joke in professional football.

The worst part is he doesn't even need to know anything about football, he can remain being a clown without this hurting Man United, just needs to hire a competent director of football/sporting director whatever you want to call it to manage the club's hiring for him.

One more time - clown.

Random Task

WW Lynchpin
Before finding committing to a new manager would be the smart play.

Woodward leaves his post in 2 months so the timing is such

my choice is bring in VDS as CEO. He’s done sterling work at Ajax but hasn’t ruled us out in the past. He’s a football man and well liked by United fans. As he is a football man he should then have a say who he’d like to work with.

then appoint the new manager
I'd like to see VDS become involved at United in the future. He's always spoken highly of us, plus he's done a top job at Ajax, but I read somewhere that the club wanted to promote from within, with Richard Arnold being the prime candidate for Ed's position.

I doubt VDS is even in their thoughts. We'll have to remove the Glazers before we can adopt a forward-thinking approach like appointing a football man as the club's CEO.

caid

Before finding committing to a new manager would be the smart play.

Woodward leaves his post in 2 months so the timing is such

my choice is bring in VDS as CEO. He’s done sterling work at Ajax but hasn’t ruled us out in the past. He’s a football man and well liked by United fans. As he is a football man he should then have a say who he’d like to work with.

then appoint the new manager
I want to say replace both immediately but i know your right and its the sensible way forward. Presumably he'd be happy to work with Ten Hag, maybe you can go for both?
Would CEO's not have to take a leave of absence for a time before moving to a new position? Is it the kind of thing you do overnight? We probably need an immediate solution so while medum - long term i definitely want a better CEO in charge the timing might just be off for this approach and its a plan for the manager after the one we hire next.

decorativeed

When you replace the CEO, you've also got to replace the people the CEO has hired due to them going to school with him, and the people they have hired due to being related to. The whole club is like that. No meritocracy whatsoever, just a boy's club of overpaid incompetent management.

blythy

Fascist Dictator
VDS is a football man. I'd love to see him that role.
Which is exactly why he'd never get the job under this regime. Woodward's replacement will be another Glazer lapdog