Replacing de gea should be the priority

humdinger

It astonishes me how many people in here rate him. I think he's been a liability for years now. The run-in under Ole when we threw away top 4 thanks largely to his abject performances in goal were the real eye opener for me.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Pope went to Newcastle for £10m and were stuck with this guy.

PSV

Apologies for completely ignoring the rest of your post but that kit is dreadful for a sunny day. Look how much the players blend in with the grass!
Yeah, I totally agree. I couldn't see any of our passages of play this evening.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Athletic mentioned McCarthy and said we had increased the budget for a third choice keeper to £7M
We need to think very carefully about the 1 year options we have for De Gea and Rashford
Knowing United, we'll renew for another 4 years to protect their value.

Mmm-Qatarian

Athletic mentioned McCarthy and said we had increased the budget for a third choice keeper to £7M
We need to think very carefully about the 1 year options we have for De Gea and Rashford
I don't think we need to think very carefully about our one-year option on De Gea. Our thought process should be "Don't trigger it". It's that simple.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
There's no way we should be renewing De Gea on £375k a week.

Lecland07

Wondering whether Tom Heaton would be better at this stage. Missed out on Pope.

cj_sparky

We will need a modern goalkeeper to implement the style ten Hag wants.

But sadly the complete decay of the current squad, means that there are other obvious areas that need addressing. Right back, midfield and in attack.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
How on earth are we going adapt to ten hag philosophy and modern progressive tactics in general with de gea as our gk which plays such a pivotal role in executing the philosophy, we saw pep chuck Joe Hart to the side for a goalkeeper that is confident with the ball at his feet despite not even a great shot stopper.

Even defensively he is awful in so many ways that must hurt the defence confidence and create confusion when he such little command around his box and the only defense for him is that he is a good shot stopper which was clearly not visible today.
Respectfully disagree. We have no control in games, we can’t score for toffee. Midfield and a striker are way ahead of a keeper.

Elcabron

Of course it is. He’s an architect of chaos: makes some flashy Dan saves in a dogshit side. He was a bout of Covid away from being thrown on the scrap heap, yet here we are.
Exactly. Perfectly said, architect of chaos. He is useless, end of. We should enquire about the former Madrid keeper currently warming the bench at PSG, Navas. Light years ahead of DDG.

jeff_goldblum

De Gea is a problem and has been for ages. His weaknesses on the ball are a problem when we try and play out from the back. His weaknesses in the air are a problem at set-pieces and when teams pump high balls into the box. His weakness is coming off his line and being proactive in the face of through balls behind the defence are a problem when we want to play a high line. He's also prone to dreadful mistakes. We saw all of that today in the first half.

Chief123

We have many more priorities.

Those who want henderson, he never showed me anything that suggested he would be good in ETH’s system either. His distribution and passing has never been that good either.

However De Gea does need replacing with a keeper that suits.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
It astonishes me how many people in here rate him. I think he's been a liability for years now. The run-in under Ole when we threw away top 4 thanks largely to his abject performances in goal were the real eye opener for me.
Yep. What was even worse was that the club decided to reward him for that shit show and us losing a CL spot by giving him an even bigger contact. Utter madness. No wonder players aren't motivated to do well. Even if they fail they know the club is stupid enough to reward them. I sometimes wonder if the Glazers are really Americans as I don't know of any that rewards mediocrity as much as these clowns.

Rojofiam

Keylor Navas is still a world class goalkeeper at 35, probably better than Donnarumma but PSG aren't playing him. Would be the 3rd best PL keeper after the 2 Brazilians straight away.

He would be available for peanuts, would allow us to let De Gea go for free in 2023 and we would have 2-3 years to look for a long-term replacement.

An absolute no brainer, but we probably aren't even looking at him knowing this club

redshaw

Yep.

We have a huge gaping wound from the keeper and constantly buying and playing attacking midfielders too deep.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
We have many more priorities.

Those who want henderson, he never showed me anything that suggested he would be good in ETH’s system either. His distribution and passing has never been that good either.

However De Gea does need replacing with a keeper that suits.
De Gea is not even doing the basics right, never mind anything else. Any old keeper will do right now.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Keylor Navas is still a world class goalkeeper at 35, probably better than Donnarumma but PSG aren't playing him. Would be the 3rd best PL keeper after the 2 Brazilians straight away.

He would be available for peanuts, would allow us to let De Gea go for free in 2023 and we would have 2-3 years to look for a long-term replacement.

An absolute no brainer, but we probably aren't even looking at him knowing this club
Thank Christ you are nothing to do with the recruitment in this club. :lol:

RVN1991

I'm his biggest fan but he's been shit for a good 4 years now. I'd actually rather have Navas he's been that much of a liability the last few seasons.

Ceeps

Don’t get the we need to sort out this and that first, he’s a huge problem now if we want to play the way the manager wants us to. Outside of the occasional worldie, he sucks at pretty much everything you need a modern goalkeeper to be. The truth is we need multiple positions fixed and in no order of relative priority as each is equally damaging to the team. In different ways.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Exactly.

Maguire, Rashford and McTominay are basically opposition players. DDG isn't in our top 5 problems.
Bullshit. Any team that wishes to play a semblance of progressive attacking football has to have a keeper that is comfortable with the ball at his feet as well as coming off of his line. DDG is terrified of doing either and it’s going to continue costing us until it’s sorted. Every top manager in the world has realized that shot stopping is nice but being able to defend proactively (keeping the ball, pressing high, and sweeping up any balls in behind with the keeper) are far more important aspects of the game than a keeper that can stop a worldie now and then. Ederson is a decent stopper at best yet he’s one of the best in the world because of everything else. It’s not 2002 anymore, times have changed.

Chief123

Dude, you do know coming for crosses and commanding his box isn’t something Navas is strong at? At the age of 35, he isn’t going to improve that either. Makes no sense to buy a keeper who has similar weaknesses to De Gea.

Adamsk7

These threads are a joke. We could have four keepers and they wouldn’t stand a chance with that defence and midfield. De Gea has weaknesses that are exposed in this system, for sure, but he’s a problem that I would happily kick down the can to after getting Maguire, Dalot, Shaw, Fred and McTominay out of our club. I’d probably then look at improving the forward line before I even touched De Gea, not least because he has years left on a £350k contract. We’d only loan him and still pay half his wages anyway.

The club is in dire straits and I cannot believe anyone thinks the priority is getting rid of a goalkeeper.
he made mistakes today, the daggers are out and he’s the scapegoat. He’s also the only one that’s come out and faced the media so far to my knowledge.

Relevated

fixated with venom and phalluses

Looking at this first goal, it's easy to blame De Gea. Sure it's a shot he should and most of the time would save, but like any keeper this kind of blunder does happen. The point is what's going on before this goal. Ronaldo receives the ball surrounded by Brentford players. He's struggling to maintain possession; Bruno who was busy directing his teammates as the throw-in was coming in actually RUNS AWAY from Ronaldo, the player who was behind Bruno is now free to intercept the ball which he does, winning possession and then passing to Dasilva.

Ronaldo struggling to hold onto the ball running on to it with a player infront and behind him, and Fred and Bruno decide the winning move is to run away from him to a position that he cannot see.

Fred as a holding midfielder doing that and leaving that much space is absolutely criminal. Or perhaps they've been coached to do that: if Ronaldo drops deep, they're to push up to stop the opposition back-line from collapsing on them and boxing them in. Although the fact Fred was subbed off at halftime would indicate otherwise.

Pause the video when DaSilva receives the ball. There's no united player within 15 yards of him and he's within shooting range. That's a mistake that will get punished more times than any team can afford.

These kinds of issues are nothing to do with the keeper, you swap him for the most inform goalie in the world and you're still gonna have these problems. Keane alluded to Bruno's attitude a while ago implying he was buying into his own hype and doing too much talking. That a player has that much room to shoot 10 minutes into a game is the real problem.

From the moment DaSilva receives the ball you can see he's got one thing in mind. At no point does he lift his eyes away from the ball, he's gonna shoot, you can see it a mile away. Yet Martinelli makes a lacklustre attempt to close him down, he should be flying at him fully committed, in the end it's a half-hearted tackle, Dasilva gets the shot off and scores.

DeGea held his nerve for years but sometimes when you see so much obvious stuff going wrong right in front of you it's hard to keep your spirit applied.

Edit: Also as the shot's going in there's a player sprinting into the box, if De Gea spills it, he gets to it first because Maguire who's stood right behind him and can see what he's doing doesn't react with nearly the same commitment. It's just too easy to blame one person for this. This is a collective effort.
The fault actually is of the manufacturer of the ball because If it had special ridges then the ball would have travelled slower, and then Ronaldo would have been able to get rid of it faster as he'd have more time to think and work faster against it.

Also the blades of grass should have been taller so that they help de gea catch the ball.

After this we can also discuss the sun and how its rays were reflecting from the opposite goal post into de geas eyes causing him a lapse In concentration

Rojofiam

Dude, you do know coming for crosses and commanding his box isn’t something Navas is strong at? At the age of 35, he isn’t going to improve that either. Makes no sense to buy a keeper who has similar weaknesses to De Gea.
His distribution is top class, though and he's also a great shot-stopper (something that De Gea used to be, but he's had some howlers in recent seasons). He would definitely be a huge upgrade on De Gea and we would buy some time to identify a long-term replacement. Look at Alisson, Ederson and Ramsdale. All of them have great distribution. De Gea just hoofs it long into midfield instead of a short pass to Martínez / Maguire / one of the full-backs. That's just asking for trouble, since we lose the ball a lot from these situations and end up conceding...like vs Brighton. I'm not saying Navas should be our keeper for the long term...this would definitely be a stop-gap signing, but a good one.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
I don’t know man, could have bought a different one instead of investing into our 10th centerback. Or even kept Henderson as he’s at least a better distributor.
Did the club back him to do so?
Reports are he had a 1m budget for a keeper and hes had to fight to get it to 7m

GiddyUp

Highest paid keeper in the world yet he's not even near the top 10 in the league.

Longshanks

Looking at this first goal, it's easy to blame De Gea. Sure it's a shot he should and most of the time would save, but like any keeper this kind of blunder does happen. The point is what's going on before this goal. Ronaldo receives the ball surrounded by Brentford players. He's struggling to maintain possession; Bruno who was busy directing his teammates as the throw-in was coming in actually RUNS AWAY from Ronaldo, the player who was behind Bruno is now free to intercept the ball which he does, winning possession and then passing to Dasilva.

Ronaldo struggling to hold onto the ball running on to it with a player infront and behind him, and Fred and Bruno decide the winning move is to run away from him to a position that he cannot see.

Fred as a holding midfielder doing that and leaving that much space is absolutely criminal. Or perhaps they've been coached to do that: if Ronaldo drops deep, they're to push up to stop the opposition back-line from collapsing on them and boxing them in. Although the fact Fred was subbed off at halftime would indicate otherwise.

Pause the video when DaSilva receives the ball. There's no united player within 15 yards of him and he's within shooting range. That's a mistake that will get punished more times than any team can afford.

These kinds of issues are nothing to do with the keeper, you swap him for the most inform goalie in the world and you're still gonna have these problems. Keane alluded to Bruno's attitude a while ago implying he was buying into his own hype and doing too much talking. That a player has that much room to shoot 10 minutes into a game is the real problem.

From the moment DaSilva receives the ball you can see he's got one thing in mind. At no point does he lift his eyes away from the ball, he's gonna shoot, you can see it a mile away. Yet Martinelli makes a lacklustre attempt to close him down, he should be flying at him fully committed, in the end it's a half-hearted tackle, Dasilva gets the shot off and scores.

DeGea held his nerve for years but sometimes when you see so much obvious stuff going wrong right in front of you it's hard to keep your spirit applied.

Edit: Also as the shot's going in there's a player sprinting into the box, if De Gea spills it, he gets to it first because Maguire who's stood right behind him and can see what he's doing doesn't react with nearly the same commitment. It's just too easy to blame one person for this. This is a collective effort.
Thats all great and all but its an absoulte nothing shot at the end of it that even a non league GK would easily save, you can analyse a load of small mistakes that are going to happen in every game or you can analyse the big basic mistake that was the cause of the goal.

Now all GK's make mistakes from time to time, but how many times have we seen similar mistakes from de gea now? Basic basic mistakes. Followed up by the second goal caused by his poor distribution, the third goal partially caused by his non-exsistent command of area and the fourth by his non existent sweeping skills and his cowardice approach to one on ones and we get the full house.

6 goals conceded and De gea's weak goalkeeping has played a pretty big hand in all 6 of them. Thats pretty damming for the worlds highest paid GK.

It would be nice to not go behind and give teams a massive leg up thanks to weak GK, god forbid we actually keep a clean sheet.

LARulz

Cos he was also at fault for the midfielders and attackers not being able to pass in the Brentford half and get proper shots in

Amarsdd

These threads are a joke. We could have four keepers and they wouldn’t stand a chance with that defence and midfield. De Gea has weaknesses that are exposed in this system, for sure, but he’s a problem that I would happily kick down the can to after getting Maguire, Dalot, Shaw, Fred and McTominay out of our club. I’d probably then look at improving the forward line before I even touched De Gea, not least because he has years left on a £350k contract. We’d only loan him and still pay half his wages anyway.

The club is in dire straits and I cannot believe anyone thinks the priority is getting rid of a goalkeeper.
he made mistakes today, the daggers are out and he’s the scapegoat. He’s also the only one that’s come out and faced the media so far to my knowledge.
How does that even compute? Its pretty much the other way round esp in case of the defence. Before the start of the season, GK wouldn't have been way down the ladder in terms of priorities to replace for me. But given the last two games, he has shot right up, just behind getting a DM.

RedBanker

I love you Ole
Yes him. And a new CB. and a DM. and two new CMs. and three new attackers. And a new RB.