Replacing Ronaldo & Tevez with Valencia & Owen

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Yeah it's bizarre. Let's go back further shall we and see if at can find something else to blame.
We have never replaced Sir Bobby Charlton properly, he wasn't just one of the very best players in the world, he was also a leader, a role model and the embodiment of Manchester United but also English football in the 60s. In my opinion, United has never seen his equivalent since his retirement, captain Marvel being the closest thing to him.

Bojan11

Baulked at the ridiculous 25 million price tag.
Actually the club said they were willing to pay the fee in a statement but Tevez did not want to come.

Also people forgetting we made a go for Benzema and even Owen himself said that Fergie told him if Benzema does not come then he will be coming. The stupid thing we did that summer was not tell Madrid to stay away from Benzema if they want Ronaldo.

TheReligion

Abusive
We have never replaced Sir Bobby Charlton properly, he wasn't just one of the very best players in the world, he was also a leader, a role model and the embodiment of Manchester United but also English football in the 60s. In my opinion, United has never seen his equivalent since his retirement, captain Marvel being the closest thing to him.
We didn't replace Robbo either. We got raging Roy Keane on board instead which was a clear mistake. The Irish stamper who ruined our chance of signing Alf's son in 2020.

Siorac

Tevez is obviously a little overrated over here. Granted he scored a few important goals but his goals per season stat wasn't that impressive. Replacing Ronaldo was always going to be mission impossible so it doesn't matter who we got in. Valencia gave back 15 to 20 assists in his first season and we got Owen for free or little money if I remember correctly. The problem was that SAF really didn't bother to fill our midfield with quality in his last three seasons. We still had quality up front with Rooney, Nani, Berbatov, RVP and Hernandez in his latter years. It was the midfield we never invested in with the aging Scholes and Giggs, Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and later Cleverley: a midfield far from convincing.
I don't really get that logic. Surely it was all the more important that we bring in top quality to make sure the team's level doesn't drop too much?

norm87cro

I don't really get that logic. Surely it was all the more important that we bring in top quality to make sure the team's level doesn't drop too much?
Can we really argue that there was another C Ronaldo on the market? We could have got some quality midfielders but no one could really replace him. And it really had nothing to do with Valencia either.

Siorac

Can we really argue that there was another C Ronaldo on the market? We could have got some quality midfielders but no one could really replace him. And it really had nothing to do with Valencia either.
Again, this makes no sense. I'm not suggesting we should have got another Ronaldo - I'm saying we should have invested the money we got for him in better players than Valencia, Owen and Obertan.

caid

Again, this makes no sense. I'm not suggesting we should have got another Ronaldo - I'm saying we should have invested the money we got for him in better players than Valencia, Owen and Obertan.
Midfielders and another goalscorer so we weren't so reliant on Rooney's fitness would have been nice.

fezzerUTD

Actually the club said they were willing to pay the fee in a statement but Tevez did not want to come.

Also people forgetting we made a go for Benzema and even Owen himself said that Fergie told him if Benzema does not come then he will be coming. The stupid thing we did that summer was not tell Madrid to stay away from Benzema if they want Ronaldo.
Doesn't work like that :lol:

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
Definitely we have never got back to that point. Ergo decline

norm87cro

Valencia did pretty good but the general consensus on this topic amongst all of us is that we should have bought a midfielder (probably an amf) and I agree. What I don't agree with is the point that that transfer window was some kind of turning point where things went to shite because we still had some 3 seasons of SAF after that without signing a midfielder.

Son

Must be noted at the time Robben and Sneijder were viewed as rejects so United fans wouldn’t have been thrilled. Robinho was probs rated higher at Madrid back then. He had a great 6 months where people said he’d win the Ballon D’Or in the near future but then fell off a cliff.

Tevez I wanted to stay but the fee was huge for what he actually delivered. Berbatov we signed the summer before too.

I thought the Owen deal could be a steal at the time but the loss of Ronaldo and the final made that a weird summer.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Roy Keane wants to know your location.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts

We were too late according to Tevez

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Ronaldo was the big loss, not so much Tevez, especially as you could argue he was already replaced by Berbatov - iirc. (Getting old so the memory isn’t as great :nervous:).

SAF was a big admirer of Valencia & tbf, he was great for us. It was always going to be mission impossible to replace Ronaldo, as no one was close to that quality, that was available. We all knew about Robben, but wasn’t he quite injury plagued at Madrid? Again, memory is hazy and I’m sure we were all fans of him from his time at Chelsea - I’m just not 100% what his reputation was like at/after Madrid.

Hazard a couple of years later was the bigger loss imo. Over €4m in agent fees or summin. Not sure if that really was the difference (Chelsea just won the UCL iirc?). But yeah, those were the “no value in the market days”.

Decomposing In Paris

What on Earth were we thinking here?

To many this is where our decline as a powerhouse truly began. Of course we had the brilliance of SAF to guide us to 2 more titles & a CL final. IIRC Robben, Ribery & Sneijder were all available that summer. Unbelievable negligence by us back when we were the consensus 2nd best team in the world. Did we not realise losing the best player in the world & another top player & not replacing them would see us decline? I was quite young back then, what was the fans view at the time?
I’m pretty sure that had we tried to sign Robben as Ronaldo’s replacement, Real would have demanded £40m... which back then, and with his injury record... he just wasn’t worth.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Whenever I think of the trio, I always find it sad that they never played together during each of their respective peaks as players. Still, what we got wasn't half bad!

Which is also the period we had the best player in the world and the best defence in the world. Bit of a reach to attribute that to Tevez, one of our least important players at the time.

His first touch was shocking. Seriously, my lasting memory of him is sat at OT watching him chase around his own wayward first touch.

People remeber the player Tevez was for City (a compeltely different one then he was for us) in my opinion.
I disagree with that. Tevez was very important. The difference between having him up front compared to Berbatov (who I was also a fan of) was huge. He complemented Rooney and Ronaldo perfectly. The way he'd rotate with Rooney where one would stay forward and one would track back to help accomadate the two man midfield was very important in us not only not getting overrun in midfield, but allowing Ronaldo more freedom to attack (though he still provided defensive support to Brown and Evra).

He was obviously much better at City, but I think he was very good here, too. Albeit not the best, but still a key player in one of the clubs best ever seasons.

Zen86

Tevez was a money grabbing ****. But yeah, the general premise of the thread is ridiculous. 2013 - present is what got us where we are.

fps

Tevez was a money grabbing ****. But yeah, the general premise of the thread is ridiculous. 2013 - present is what got us where we are.
No, there really is something in it. Who was signed post 2009 who went on to be a top notch United signing? In Fergie’s last years the heavy lifting was almost entirely done by Fergie stalwarts.

Zen86

No, there really is something in it. Who was signed post 2009 who went on to be a top notch United signing? In Fergie’s last years the heavy lifting was almost entirely done by Fergie stalwarts.
No, there isn’t. If we didn’t sack off half the coaching staff and f*** up the rebuild so badly after Fergie left, no one would be here whining about 2009.

fps

No, there isn’t. If we didn’t sack off half the coaching staff and f*** up the rebuild so badly after Fergie left, no one would be here whining about 2009.
Both can be contributing factors, it is not an either/or situation.

Berbatov was Tevez replacement, we just brought him a year early. I think towards the end of Tevez first season Sir Alex decided he preferred Berbatov and as it was a 2 year loan we just went and signed him. I am sure we wouldn't have minded keeping Tevez but never seemed like a priority to Sir Alex.
Tevez was done at United the moment he turned his shirt around in Moscow. Ferguson ney like that shit.

I think he'd have gone that summer if the Berbatov deal didn't go to the deadline.

Not bringing in some top quality after Ronaldo left was devastating.

But United never really replaced Rio, Vidic, Giggs, Scholes, Rooney, Berbatov, Carrick etc.

The whole team was going and it's been so badly handled by the club - they needed an overarching strategy of rebuilding that happened at Woodward's level, not leaving individual managers just freesytling it and hoping for the best.

Some issues began late in Fergie's day - but really the club has been run appallingly since Gill left.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Valencia did pretty good but the general consensus on this topic amongst all of us is that we should have bought a midfielder (probably an amf) and I agree. What I don't agree with is the point that that transfer window was some kind of turning point where things went to shite because we still had some 3 seasons of SAF after that without signing a midfielder.
I agree, the squad level dipped towards the end of Fergie's tenure, and while that transfer window is pretty eye-catching it was more of a gradual process and the team he left in 2013 was ageing but still a very good starting point for the next guy. We should have been on the front foot adding to the squad and creating the next great United team. We didn't do that, which was a bad mistake, then we hired Moyes which was worse still.