Republic Of Ireland Football Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Heard he got some sort of abuse. Coleman was talking about it but didn't know the content of it. Wouldn't surprise me these days with so many cretins online.
Yes it is his mother tweeted about it, not sure who it came from though..
That's unbelievable. Sick stuff.

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
For what it's worth the ball has been in play for 9 seconds out of the first 1:30

JakeC

Last Man Standing 2 champion 2020/21
That ref was bent btw. 100% gave them absolutely fecking everything.

Robbie Boy

Very different match than I expected but same outcome. Kenny must be on the ropes at this stage. It's not good enough.

Robbie Boy

I'm not sure what you were expecting given the circumstances though.

I thought that was a lot more encouraging than I expected it to be going into it. We have no one on the level of Tadic or even Mitrovic.
Fair enough. I am in an overly negative mood tonight as I thought we were looking good first half then conceded a stupid goal.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Do you think Kenny can turn it around?
Turn it around and qualify or get second? Unlikely I’d say, but I don’t think anyone could. It’s really poor side, man for man Serbia has way more quality. We did well to even give it a proper go today, first choice keeper in there and we could be walking away with a point or more.

We actually pass the ball which is good enough for me tbh. I don’t see what sacking Kenny achieves. You can bring in whatever manager you want, they can’t conjure a striker or a creative midfielder out of thin air. The group of players is really really poor. Bleed some youngsters through, comfortably beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, and sit and hope some young quality comes from somewhere is the best we can really expect. I have no interest in watching us purposely play shit on a stick football anymore. Either we have a manager who wants to play football or I’ll just stick to following Canada from now on.

Withnail

Fair enough. I am in an overly negative mood tonight as I thought we were looking good first half then conceded a stupid goal.
Yeah first half was better. We seemed to run out of steam and fitness seemed to be an issue. I don't know for definite but I got the impression many of our players in midfield and attack aren't playing regular first team football.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yeah first half was better. We seemed to run out of steam and fitness seemed to be an issue. I don't know for definite but I got the impression many of our players in midfield and attack aren't playing regular first team football.
Your impression is correct. They went through them all, man by man, on the Second captains podcast. All woefully out of form and most of them not getting picked for crap teams.

Withnail

Your impression is correct. They went through them all, man by man, on the Second captains podcast. All woefully out of form and most of them not getting picked for crap teams.
Jaysus yeah thought I'd heard that. I didn't get a chance to listen to me podcasts this week.

Hopefully we bate Luxembourg and the club situation improves by September.

Robbie Boy

Yeah that seems fair enough.

Long gone are the days of having the the 2 x Keane's, Duff, Finnan, Dunne and Given being really good PL players.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah that seems fair enough.

Long gone are the days of having the the 2 x Keane's, Duff, Finnan, Dunne and Given being really good PL players.
Tadic was the difference between the teams tonight. At our level just one top player makes such a difference. Our most established/top quality player is a 32 year old full back at a mid-table team. It’s actually nuts how few regular PL starters are in our team. Surely the fewest in decades? Certainly in my lifetime watching Ireland.

Robbie Boy

Tadic was the difference between the teams tonight. At our level just one top player makes such a difference. Our most established/top quality player is a 32 year old full back at a mid-table team. It’s actually nuts how few regular PL starters are in our team. Surely the fewest in decades? Certainly in my lifetime watching Ireland.
Yeah I feel the same, definitely the lowest quality of players I've seen in my lifetime. If only Grealish had of chosen us, so frustrating especially given he was a big GAA head as a kid. Even someone like Bamford would be useful for us now.

I remember back in the day even the average players in the squad were all regular PL players: the likes of Holland, Kinsella, Carsley, Cunningham and Kilbane. We badly need more players in the PL but Brexit will scupper that.

Pogue Mahone

Yeah I feel the same, definitely the lowest quality of players I've seen in my lifetime. If only Grealish had of chosen us, so frustrating especially given he was a big GAA head as a kid. Even someone like Bamford would be useful for us now.

I remember back in the day even the average players in the squad were all regular PL players: the likes of Holland, Kinsella, Carsley, Cunningham and Kilbane. We badly need more players in the PL but Brexit will scupper that.
Grealish and Rice would literally double our overall quality as a team. Maybe triple it. Plus only going to get better in years ahead. Oh well. Spilt milk. I thought Mulumby and Cullen both did themselves proud tonight.

lsd

The Oracle
Turn it around and qualify or get second? Unlikely I’d say, but I don’t think anyone could. It’s really poor side, man for man Serbia has way more quality. We did well to even give it a proper go today, first choice keeper in there and we could be walking away with a point or more.

We actually pass the ball which is good enough for me tbh. I don’t see what sacking Kenny achieves. You can bring in whatever manager you want, they can’t conjure a striker or a creative midfielder out of thin air. The group of players is really really poor. Bleed some youngsters through, comfortably beat Luxembourg and Azerbaijan, and sit and hope some young quality comes from somewhere is the best we can really expect. I have no interest in watching us purposely play shit on a stick football anymore. Either we have a manager who wants to play football or I’ll just stick to following Canada from now on.

Exactly i can't see why anyone would rather get rid of the first manager we have had in a lifetime who wants to play actual football rather than just hoofing it up in the air for 90 minutes.

Kenny has very little quality to work with but is going about things in the right way by trying to bring in new players and looking to play decent football

Robbie Boy

Thanks for the reply and good assessment.

Brophs

The One and Only
The more I see, the more I worry that whatever relative success Kenny might have, will be little more than being responsible for bringing through a younger squad of players who are given the freedom to play a bit of football. Results are looking like they might be hard to come by, even on a good day. I feel for Kenny. It's a horrible job to take on in terms of expectations versus raw materials.

Withnail

They made a good point on Off the Ball this morning. Not many of us would want to pay to watch us stick 10 men behind the ball and try to sneak a nil all.
I'd pay to watch this team have a go and try to play the right way.

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
They made a good point on Off the Ball this morning. Not many of us would want to pay to watch us stick 10 men behind the ball and try to sneak a nil all.
I'd pay to watch this team have a go and try to play the right way.
Absolutely. It feels like it's a very small majority who are strongly against how it's going under Kenny, as opposed to how many were turned off by the puke football we were serving up in the past.

Status
Not open for further replies.