Reserves: Boro vs Manchester United

Virtuoso

Barclays Premier Reserve League
Riverside Stadium, 24 March 2009

MIDDLESBROUGH v UNITED

KO 19:00 GMT - Live coverage on MUTV from 18:30 GMT

Reserves reshuffle for Boro

United's Reserves travel to the Riverside Stadium to take on Middlesbrough on Tuesday evening, looking to extend a fine run of four wins from five games.

With Danny Welbeck and Danny Drinkwater on international duty with England's U19s, Ole Gunnar Solskjaer and Warren Joyce have had to shuffle their pack. Kiko Macheda is likely to feature as a lone striker, possibly with Lee Martin in support, while Robbie Brady will start on the left wing.

Fabio, scorer of an injury-time penalty against Boro earlier this month, joins Richard Eckersley, Corry Evans and Ritchie De Laet in defence, ahead of goalkeeper Ben Amos.

Matt James, Rodrigo Possebon and Magnus Eikrem make up the remainder of midfield, with Ron-Robert Zieler, Scott Wootton, Oliver Norwood and Cameron Stewart on the bench.

Tuesday's match kicks-off at 19:00 GMT, with MUTV's exclusive live coverage beginning half an hour earlier.

United: Amos; Eckersley, De Laet, C Evans, Fabio; Eikrem, James, Possebon, Martin, Brady; Macheda.
Substitutes: Zieler, Wootton, Norwood, Stewart.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Martin I reckon deserves some footy, even just being on the bench. Has worked hard since he's come back and is looking good through the middle

PS18

1-0 FT

Great result against a Boro side with a few first-teamers in it, thought we controlled the game for most of the second half (albeit without creating too much).

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
How has Macheda played tonight?
I think especially in the first half he was very impressive. He used the ball well, linked up well. Didn't really have any great chances of note but first half he was one of our better players certainly

cj_sparky

I think especially in the first half he was very impressive. He used the ball well, linked up well. Didn't really have any great chances of note but first half he was one of our better players certainly
Cool, I think he has a lot of potential. Did Possebon and Fabio play well?

Sorry for asking, I was watching a stream before the game started but it was so stop start I gave it a miss.

Virtuoso

Something very impressive from what I've seen of Macheda so far is that he always gets himself involved without coming very deep. As a striker he gets into good forward positions, chases down defenders, can drift out wide, brings others into the game with good control and clever use of the ball etc. He is able to do this aspect of a forward's game when the football isn't free-flowing and space/supply is not really available. He doesn't just go missing if he isn't getting the chances but he also doesn't nullify his own threat as the main striker by losing his positioning as a forward, he's certainly improving as an all-round footballer and forward all the time because he's had that goalscoring instinct since the day he came.

Ballache

Supports
Martial
Possebon hasn't played well for a while now. Careless in possession and generally looks a bit sloppy. I would say James looks the better CM right now.

Fabio looks a class above almost everyone else at this level.
he needs to be more energetic, i dont know why but he strikes me as a Serie A player.

as for Fabio, he needs to be in first team IMO. brilliant prospect!

i was impressed by Eikrem in the first half, and Macheda did well on his own.

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Something very impressive from what I've seen of Macheda so far is that he always gets himself involved without coming very deep. As a striker he gets into good forward positions, chases down defenders, can drift out wide, brings others into the game with good control and clever use of the ball etc. He is able to do this aspect of a forward's game when the football isn't free-flowing and space/supply is not really available. He doesn't just go missing if he isn't getting the chances but he also doesn't nullify his own threat as the main striker by losing his positioning as a forward, he's certainly improving as an all-round footballer and forward all the time because he's had that goalscoring instinct since the day he came.
Thanks for that.. Well written and very informative as well..

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
That was a strong Boro side, so credit to our lads for the win.

Name Changed

weso26
Possebon hasn't played well for a while now. Careless in possession and generally looks a bit sloppy. I would say James looks the better CM right now.

Fabio looks a class above almost everyone else at this level.
Do you think James has the potential to get close to the first team squad in a couple of years?

Who do you think actually will? Fabio obviously. What about Macheda? Do you think Brady has what it takes? Eikrem hasn't really fulfilled his potential as of yet.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
The back four was solid. Eckersley was probably our best player and Fabio had a good first half.

In midfield Eikrem gave his best performance so far at this level, amazing goal. James showed glimpses of skill and passing ability but I thought his legs seemed a bit heavy. Maybe the hectic shedule is catching up with him. Rodrigo looked somewhat tired as well.

Macheda led the line well, Martin had a good game too.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The back four was solid. Eckersley was probably our best player and Fabio had a good first half.

In midfield Eikrem gave his best performance so far at this level, amazing goal. James showed glimpses of skill and passing ability but I thought his legs seemed a bit heavy. Maybe the hectic shedule is catching up with him. Rodrigo looked somewhat tired as well.

Macheda led the line well, Martin had a good game too.
I can't help being reminded of Eagles, to be honest.

It's almost the exact same scenario. An underwhelming loan spell results in him being recalled to the club, with his hopes of a long-term United career pretty much in tatters. He then goes on to look like one of our best two or three players at reserve level before being sold to a Championship side (this hasn't happened to Martin yet, but I fear it's only a matter of time)

If nothing else, it's a good barometer of exactly how big the gap is between looking good for our reserves and being good enough to play for our first-team. If any of the young lads want to have any hope at all of making the jump any time soon they need to be really excelling for the reserves, week in, week out.

IMO only Fabio and comes close to this sort of performance (and even then, I'm basing my opinion mainly on how well his bro' made the step up) Macheda is so young he's still in with a decent shout - ditto Welbeck - but I don't have high hopes for Possebon.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
I can't help being reminded of Eagles, to be honest.

It's almost the exact same scenario. An underwhelming loan spell results in him being recalled to the club, with his hopes of a long-term United career pretty much in tatters. He then goes on to look like one of our best two or three players at reserve level before being sold to a Championship side (this hasn't happened to Martin yet, but I fear it's only a matter of time)

If nothing else, it's a good barometer of exactly how big the gap is between looking good for our reserves and being good enough to play for our first-team. If any of the young lads want to have any hope at all of making the jump any time soon they need to be really excelling for the reserves, week in, week out.

IMO only Fabio and comes close to this sort of performance (and even then, I'm basing my opinion mainly on how well his bro' made the step up) Macheda is so young he's still in with a decent shout - ditto Welbeck - but I don't have high hopes for Possebon.
Well yeah but Eagles isn't done yet. He'll definitely get a chance in the Prem sooner rather than later.

uae

Desperately wants a tagline under his name
It was nice our reserves got to experience a typical Riverside atmosphere as well ;)

Virtuoso

Very true, Eckersley was awesome - really could be a very useful defender for us in the future, as a utility defender if nothing else if he carries on the way he's going as he can play right across the back four and has quite a bit to his game.

lysglimt

Scout
Eckersley is on the verge of the first team - he is close to Premier League quality now. And I must admit I have been very impressed with Corry Evans over the last couple of months - not that I expect him to make it at United, but he has shown a lot of potential and is probably the most improved player from last season.

samabachan

Football is about glory, it is about doing things
Very true, Eckersley was awesome - really could be a very useful defender for us in the future, as a utility defender if nothing else if he carries on the way he's going as he can play right across the back four and has quite a bit to his game.
Always been impressed by the kid every time Ive seen him play. If only Danny Simpson had an attitude half as good as his!

Chirag

Euro '08 League Winner
Thanks for that keep them coming!

Really?!?

Be fecking shocked if that happened. The only ex-player we should even think about signing is young Joe the Red.
Seriously? I would think Rossi would do well with Berbatov & Rooney.. Whether that actually happens is a completely different matter though.. We also have Campbell, Welbeck, Manucho and the probable signing of Tevez..

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
Seconded. I rate the Eck.

Besides, we need another ginger in the first-team squad. SAF should be planning for the future. Continuity is key.
3rd'ed.

With regards to the defending part of being a full back, he has impressed me a lot more than Fabio and Raf do. The twins are better going forward but Eckersley is much more solid defensively isn't that bad going forward either. Like all youngsters though... needs to bulk up.:D

PS18

We're probably going to buy him back, seeing as Fergie went to watch Burnley play just to check him out. Big mistake if we do.
I don't know how you can come to that conclusion. I know we have buy-back clauses there with him but to say we're 'probably going to buy him back' when he's struggling to even get in the Burnley team of late is a big stretch.