Reserves Draft | Aldo Staine 14-6 EAP

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
In fact we have banned managers posting formations before their games as we want them to come up with their own idea. How is this allowed? Not 1 or 2 people either, entire thread has people helping one guy out.
Honestly can't be bothered at this point.

Moby

Dick
Yeah I can see Aldo's point because finding the right balance at the end will probably win him some votes, especially from voters that see the formation for first time and haven't followed the discussion.

Subs and formation changes are interesting topic indeed, especially when they are made. Making 1 in the first half an hour per say when seeing the other team line up is one thing, making one in the last half an hour is different of course.
Mate, helping is one thing, feedback is one thing but drawing actual formations? That's strictly the manager's job.

The game had barely begun since this has been happening. It's there on the first page.

Enigma_87

You know who
Mate, helping is one thing, feedback is one thing but drawing actual formations? That's strictly the manager's job.

The game had barely begun since this has been happening. It's there on the first page.
Don't disagree with you I think it dragged a bit too far. I think most that draw formations are trying to get their point across with fewer words.

Still kudos for Edgar for for trying out something unorthodox which was bound to be risky and spur controversy.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I still don't know why formations are THAT different from the usual feedback and I feel that it's not uncommon for the voters to discuss and post suggestions in the thread.
By posting formations we just want Edgar to elaborate on the roles of his players, but it takes much less effort to draw a few names than to ask:
- Why is Brady so deep?
- How will you deal with the lack of width in your team?
- Why Brady, Ceulemans and Dalglish won't overlap?
etc.
When you draw a formation where the roles of his players are different, you are basically asking Edgar (and not you!) to comment on why his choice of their roles and positions is better.
And it's certainly not helping him, it's a form of criticism.

But you're the draft master, @Aldo, so I'll abide anything you ask - I can even delete my formation if you want.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Mea culpa. No offence intended.

I have deleted my pedagogical post whose aim was simply to be "easier to understand".

Moby

Dick
But you're the draft master, @Aldo, so I'll abide anything you ask - I can even delete my formation if you want.
It has nothing to do with me being the draft master, it is only about this game and how I felt it was unfair.

You can easily go through the thread and see how it all favours one manager. It may not be your intention but it's certainly against the spirit of competition. It went too far here, it took 5 pages and a sharemytactics graphic posted for me to post a complain. I wouldn't do it at all if it wasn't getting past the limit.

montpelier

I largely agree with what Harms said but have some sympathy with Aldo feeling a little bit under siege - defended his team well imo, mind.

Diagrams might be a bit much if you consider folks are probably skim reading by the time it's over 6 pages. Unfairly weights the evidence an undecided voter might be receiving, one could say, because of the power of pictorial representation exceeds that of text if the text isn't getting read, esp.

But it's difficult to discuss players, player's roles & tactics without using the context of a team formation.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I have nothing against creative tactical systems or positioning of players but:

- The tactical system of EAP strip players of their responsibilities because
----->Michel & Brady are not trained to defend a lot without the support of lateral defenders. For example, Brady can't stop both Sagnol & Amancio
-----> There are 2 "no man's lands": one being the triangle Michel-Stiles-Andrade and the other one Brady-Nadal-Hughes because :
..............................1. Andrade & Hughes have to protect Blind
..............................2. I don't see Ceulemans as a box-to-box midfielder to cover Stiles or Nadal in the middle of the park if necessary

- A Blind vs Elkjaer battle is unwise

- 5 very offensive players with limited defensive skills make the EAP's team unbalanced

Now, I guess I am the assistant manager of both managers :D

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
By posting formations we just want Edgar to elaborate on the roles of his players, but it takes much less effort to draw a few names than to ask:
- Why is Brady so deep?
- How will you deal with the lack of width in your team?
- Why Brady, Ceulemans and Dalglish won't overlap?
etc.
Brady is more aggressive than he'd be in a similar place in a diamond. Not exactly pure wing play, but he'll drift wide when needed. Same with Michel on the other side. As someone said, it's like playing Beckham. Not a winger, but a wide midfielder. You get width of sorts...not many player around who fit that mould.

The focus us to utilize the space between his midfield and fullbacks. As you can clearly see from Downcast's formation (is it still there?) .... Who in Aldo's team will be picking Brady and Michel up? Will they have a free run of the game? It is my opinion that they'll get lots of space till we run into their defence where it morphs into a similar question there...Who picks them up? Szepan drifting wide? Sagnol tucking in? One of the CBs stepping out?

Aldo dances around the issue and clearly is shifting focus to my back 3....successfully for now.

Maybe he'll at least answer that now, @Aldo?

On the overlaps...I don't know how to elaborate clearly...but here's what I had in mind. The white dotted line are areas where players may interchange during attack.

My mental heatmap (sort of) on where the players would concentrate:

Ceulemans has played Centre Midfielder, #10 and SS during his career. Here we'll predominantly have a slightly deeper version with Dalglish upfront supported on either side by Brady and Michel.

The DM's don't overreach and it'll be up to my Brady/Ceulemans/Michel to run the central and attacking midfield areas.

Dalglish will operate just behind Rush where the CBs must make a decision to step out or let him run the game. Same dilema for his DMs too. Dalglish dropping or Ceulemans advancing? Whom to cover? Or maybe drift wide to stop Brady/Michel?

His strategy is to defend deep. So this means my creative trio will have all the time and space to run the whole game.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I have nothing against creative tactical systems or positioning of players but:

- The tactical system of EAP strip players of their responsibilities because
----->Michel & Brady are not trained to defend a lot without the support of lateral defenders. For example, Brady can't stop both Sagnol & Amancio
-----> There are 2 "no man's lands": one being the triangle Michel-Stiles-Andrade and the other one Brady-Nadal-Hughes because :
..............................1. Andrade & Hughes have to protect Blind
..............................2. I don't see Ceulemans as a box-to-box midfielder to cover Stiles or Nadal in the middle of the park if necessary

- A Blind vs Elkjaer battle is unwise

- 5 very offensive players with limited defensive skills make the EAP's team unbalanced

Now, I guess I am the assistant manager of both managers :D
It's as if you've not read my game and instead running with your own version :lol:

----->Michel & Brady are not trained to defend a lot without the support of lateral defenders. For example, Brady can't stop both Sagnol & Amancio. Stopping Amancio falls to Hughes and support against Sagnol comes to Nadal.
..............................1. Andrade & Hughes have to protect Blind Why does Blind need protection? He was so successful for Ajax and won multiple trophies in the same position he's here now.
..............................2. I don't see Ceulemans as a box-to-box midfielder to cover Stiles or Nadal in the middle of the park if necessary. Maybe that's why I haven't played him as such. He has 2 DM's who can make simple passes and Dalglish ahead for creativity. Why would he need to run box-to-box?

Moby

Dick
Maybe he'll at least answer that now, @Aldo?
Sure.

If they are coming in too central, they will overlap with your already crowded middle.
If they go out wide they'll be picked up by the fullbacks. An easy job given your defenders do not add any support out wide.

His strategy is to defend deep. So this means my creative trio will have all the time and space to run the whole game.
Your HR department will fail you in the verbal reasoning test. :D Defending deep doesnt imply allowing you space and time, have already explained this in detail with multiple examples but you are free to paint the wrong picture.

Moby

Dick
Stopping Amancio falls to Hughes and support against Sagnol comes to Nadal.
Which leaves Cubillas to Stiles, Elkjaer to Blind and Kempes to Andrade without any support left in that 3v3 then?

You'll be picked off, given that scenario will occur not in a patient buildup where your backline is organised but in an onrushing counter where your defenders will be outrun by my attackers (are any of your defenders quicker than my front four? to guard against the counter?)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Sure.

If they are coming in too central, they will overlap with your already crowded middle.
If they go out wide they'll be picked up by the fullbacks. An easy job given your defenders do not add any support out wide.

Your HR department will fail you in the verbal reasoning test. :D Defending deep doesnt imply allowing you space and time, have already explained this in detail with multiple examples but you are free to paint the wrong picture.
Well they are wide midfielders for that purpose. I have drawn a diagram on where they'll operate. Who picks them up? Let's be clear on this.

Yes it does. Defend deep = CB and DM would not move too far ahead of their lines. And Cubillas is not one to drop and play CM. There is a BIG gap between.

Moby

Dick
Why does Blind need protection? He was so successful for Ajax and won multiple trophies in the same position he's here now.
Can he match Elkjaer's strength and aerial ability and stop his hold up play which he will use to bring others into play all by himself with everyone around him occupied?

You can't seriously think this is a sound defensive strategy, otherwise every manager in the world is an idiot for playing back fours shielded by at least one proper DM against lesser numbers in attack.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Which leaves Cubillas to Stiles, Elkjaer to Blind and Kempes to Andrade without any support left in that 3v3 then?

You'll be picked off, given that scenario will occur not in a patient buildup where your backline is organised but in an onrushing counter where your defenders will be outrun by my attackers (are any of your defenders quicker than my front four? to guard against the counter?)
That's quite naive...unless you go metal and plan to have all of them attacking at the same time? :houllier: Surely if you are attacking from right and Kempes, then Nadal will be in the middle and if Amancio has the ball then he can help the left? Not both at the same time, right?

Moby

Dick
That's quite naive...unless you go metal and plan to have all of them attacking at the same time? :houllier: Surely if you are attacking from right and Kempes, then Nadal will be in the middle and if Amancio has the ball then he can help the left? Not both at the same time, right?
What? All of the front four would obviously make runs on the counter all across the pitch. Is that new? Ozil, Ronaldo, Di Maria and Benzema did that game after game, all four were always present in attack. Likewise Marcelo next to Ronaldo, and that was one of the best counter attacking teams. If Amancio is carrying the ball, OBVIOUSLY Elkjaer, Cubillas and Kempes would all be ready in and around the box to receive it. What else do you think will happen?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Can he match Elkjaer's strength and aerial ability and stop his hold up play which he will use to bring others into play all by himself with everyone around him occupied?
Yes, I rate Blind equal to Elkjaer if not better. He has proven record in a back 3 and his trophy haul speaks for itself. A mainstay in one of the most talented of club teams of all time and you're trying to make him a liability here. He was strong, competent, intelligent and has marshalled the defence exceeding well in his career.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Edgar Allan Pillow

To illustrate my modest understanding of your strategy, I will give an example

Let's say that you have 5 defensive players. An example: with the support of Sagnol, Amancio with the ball will attract 2 of your 5 defensive players so that Blind will be alone with Elkjaer.

Am I wrong?

Moby

Dick
Yes, I rate Blind equal to Elkjaer if not better. He has proven record in a back 3 and his trophy haul speaks for itself. A mainstay in one of the most talented of club teams of all time and you're trying to make him a liability here. He was strong, competent, intelligent and has marshalled the defence exceeding well in his career.
Well, at least you are consistent. While I have spent majority of the thread giving tactical reasoning and advantages for my team (and moaning :p ) you have been banging the same drum on how your defense is good enough due to so and so, how your midfield is dominating, how your attack is much better and what not with little backing it up.

Newsflash Edgar, this is an all time draft. Every player is picked because he achieved a lot in their careers. You want me to recite what Picchi did for all those years at Inter?

I was clearly alluding to the particular strength Elkjaer provides. He was tireless, agile, strong, excellent in link up play, extremely quick and unselfish. Think of Benzema only much better. He made a memorable partnership at the 86 WC in the team known as Danish Dynamites. So, is Blind going to curb all those qualities and to what degree, knowing he is absolutely all by himself with no CB partner covering for him?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow

To illustrate my modest understanding of your strategy, I will give an example

Let's say that you have 5 defensive players. An example: with the support of Sagnol, Amancio with the ball will attract 2 of your 5 defensive players so that Blind will be alone with Elkjaer.

Am I wrong?
Is that how football is usually played? In a series of 1vs1 battles?

Hughes covers Andrade. Nadal drops behind either if Amancio beats Hughes or tries to drift a cross in. He supports both Hughes and Blind in that role and it becomes a squeezed in back 4 with Stiles shielding.

Moby

Dick
you're trying to make him a liability here.
Where?
I actually asked you a question which you have to still answer.
Most defenders in a 3v3 would be picked apart, you'll probably agree to this as soon as the game is over. I can't imagine you not understanding this extremely basic part of the game.

Moby

Dick
And of course, Edgar is also dominating the midfield while both his CMs are also helping out the defenders and dropping in defense. And he has a 5 man attack roaming wild.

What an amazing strategy, wonder why no manager ever uses this genius of an idea. :D

Why do managers use a back four or five but not a three, @Edgar Allan Pillow ?

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I was clearly alluding to the particular strength Elkjaer provides. He was tireless, agile, strong, excellent in link up play, extremely quick and unselfish. Think of Benzema only much better. He made a memorable partnership at the 86 WC in the team known as Danish Dynamites. So, is Blind going to curb all those qualities and to what degree, knowing he is absolutely all by himself with no CB partner covering for him?
Nobody is debating about Picchi here. Any reason to bring him out if not to confuse the issue?

You are swinging between extreme OTTs here. Yes, I rate Elkjaer and wanted to pick him last draft. All I maintain is that Blind is equal to the task of defending against him. You make it out as it like Elkjaer will dominate and Blind goes AWOL in this exchange...which is frankly ridiculous. It is an even trade.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
And of course, Edgar is also dominating the midfield while both his CMs are also helping out the defenders and dropping in defense. And he has a 5 man attack roaming wild.

What an amazing strategy, wonder why no manager ever uses this genius of an idea. :D

Why do managers use a back four or five but not a three, @Edgar Allan Pillow ?
Yes, I pulled a man out of defence....BUT THAT MAN HAS TO PLAY SOMEWHERE, RIGHT? If I'm at a disadvantage in defence, then I even by having an advantage elsewhere...in the midfield. Why's that so hard to wrap your head around?

Moby

Dick
Nobody is debating about Picchi here. Any reason to bring him out if not to confuse the issue?

You are swinging between extreme OTTs here. Yes, I rate Elkjaer and wanted to pick him last draft. All I maintain is that Blind is equal to the task of defending against him. You make it out as it like Elkjaer will dominate and Blind goes AWOL in this exchange...which is frankly ridiculous. It is an even trade.
I'll try it for the third time.

Can you talk about Blind's skillset precisely? Not his quality is what I doubt, nope. But I listed the precise set of skills Elkjaer offers to my team. Now I am asking, what are the precise set of skills Blind possesses to counter that?

And how will he achieve that without having anyone covering for him right in front of goal? Are you assuming none of my players will ever dribble past your defender, or if it's a 2v2 they won't be able to pass there way past the two of yours without any trouble like it happens in ANY 2v2 in ANY football game ever?

To the point answers, please.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Reckon many of us have been guilty of posting alternative and “improved” formation pics in the past – it's tempting to do so in some cases.

But IIRC we pretty much reached a consensus on this a while back (around the time when it was decided posting your own formation for feedback in the main thread was a bad idea): It's not on, really.

And one of the weightiest arguments against the practice is the very thing we've been discussing in the “next idea” thread: In theory a manager could feck up utterly initially, only to have a new set-up fed him on a silver platter, then change “his” formation – and end up gaining votes from this, directly, since random voters do not necessarily factor in anything but the formation pic in the OP.

That obviously hasn't happened here, as Ed hasn't actually changed his basic formation. But it could happen, and that's why it's – rightly – frowned upon. As a manager, it's bad enough when neutrals go out of their way to “interpret” a faulty set-up (or faulty tactics) as something other than what your opponent explicitly claims it to be – but the visual impact of formation pics is even worse. And regardless of intention, this sort of thing often ends up as some sort of attempt to – actively – improve what is perceived as faulty, rather than simply criticizing it. Which simply isn't fair on the other guy.

Again, this is an academic, general point – it obviously hasn't happened in this particular match. But I completely understand Aldo's frustration.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
But I listed the precise set of skills Elkjaer offers to my team. Now I am asking, what are the precise set of skills Blind possesses to counter that?
He's a solid defender. Good on the ball. No afraid to step out and defend if necessary. Very intelligent and understands space and knows how to shut down angles. Won't be beaten easily on the ground or in the air. Having played in 3 man defensive unit, he knows what is expected off him in this situation. Versatile as sweeper, CB and RB. A leader who can marshal his other CB's to act as a unit.

I'll repeat it again..Andrade covers for Amancio. Nadal drops back to see if Sagnol crosses in and will help out centrally if so. No reason for Blind to be all alone.

Edit: I see the defensive phase playing out like this...

Hughes tracking whoever has the ball and Nadal supporting him. Standard back 4 tactics.

Making Blind a liability for Elkjaer is just nonsense. Even in 1vs1 situation it'd be equal.

Last edited:

Moby

Dick
I'll repeat it again..Andrade covers for Amancio.
It's Hughes, you ought to know your own team better! :D

Good on the ball. No afraid to step out and defend if necessary. Very intelligent and understands space and knows how to shut down angles. Won't be beaten easily on the ground or in the air.
The first one is when he's on the ball, irrelevant when he's being attacked by Elkjaer.
Not afraid to step out - alright, sorta relevant but I'll club it with the next one:
Very Intelligent - sure, I buy that and that is great in cutting down the service or eliminating a danger before it arises. It helps, sure.
Won't be beaten on the ground or the air - is that your opinion or any basis to that? How strong was he to battle against someone like Elkjaer who possesses extremely strong hold up play?
Now let's consider what you didn't address:
Number 1 - Pace. Is Blind fast? Faster than most CBs? Faster than Elkjaer? That is an incredibly important metric in this context to guard against the countless counters I will throw at you.
Number 2 - Alertness and Awareness. You can call it reactions. Was he quick to react? Slow to react? Again an extremely important metric.
Number 3 - Strength, both aerial and physical. Again, how does that fare against Elkjaer's?

Those are the obvious question marks.

Now, one of my most obvious route to goal is carrying the ball down the right flanks with Amancio and Sagnol with the others breaking through the middle and the left. As per your own admission, you will have Hughes and Nadal against Amancio and Sagnol, with Stiles running along or behind Cubillas and Andrade guarding the trademark darting runs El Matador makes into the box.
So in this scenario, who else is there to cover Elkjaer apart from Blind? It's a (terrible) 1v1 for you. More so because it's not an traditional aerial striker who will simply try to win a header, here's an extremely clever, tireless and cunning all round centre forward who will exploit the situation whether it means scoring himself or letting it go for a better pass in someone's path.

Is that not a quality scoring route?
1. There is no one covering behind Blind if he gets beaten by Elkjaer be it through pace or strength.
2. There's no one to man the space that will be exploited by the likes of Cubillas and Kempes making late runs into the box. Both their markers will have to track them each and every time they run into the box, it's virtually impossible and never seen in a football game.
3. It's a perennial 3v3 or rather 5v5 at the back for you, nevermind that all that's at blistering pace and not giving any time for your backline to settle into shape.

Your defenders will have to constantly make fatal calls on which player guard when all four are on the counter and it would be pretty easy to pick the unmarked one out. Not to mention you are hoping them to play the perfect offside line, which isn't going to be easy given Blind is instructed to step out constantly and would generally be dragged away from his position by Elkjaer. In a scenario like that he can easily play in one of Kempes or Cubillas who can evade their markers and attack a space their markers are not instructed to guard (you have admitted that there is no man marking which means they won't follow them all around. e.g if Cubillas drops to the left Stiles will leave him for Andrade, etc). All I am trying to explain is the basic fatality of your defensive strategy. In all of this I have not yet included the amazing all round qualities my attacking players possess, it's simply a numbers problem, you cannot overcome. You cannot also overcome the problem posed by constant movement, interchange and link up at pace by fielding that highly risky backline.

Moby

Dick
It wouldn't play like that at all - not by your own admission either - not by any logic applied in the game.

You are fecked if you are leaving Hughes in a constant 2v1 vs Amancio and Sagnol. They'll beat him for fun and Amancio is as good a goalscorer as he was out wide.

What I wrote was actually way better for your defense, the above is just insane.

Nadal would surely have to help out leaving Blind all by himself, and that is STILL absolutely fatal.

But great, if you want it that way. I'll put my money on Amancio scoring a hat trick. :D

Moby

Dick
Even in 1vs1 situation it'd be equal.
No 1v1 is 'equal', ever, when the player in question is standing next to goal without a single man covering him.

You are basically implying that there is no chance of Elkjaer beating him in any way even once in the game, or there is no chance of Elkjaer combining with the players around him to beat him even once in the game.

We might as well pack up and go home, we are playing against some immortals. :D

Moby

Dick
Sigh, the lengths people go to twist things in a draft game. Having to explain all that to someone who has watched and followed the sport extensively, and I pretty much am sure that you don't need any of those explanations but oh well.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Won't be beaten on the ground or the air - is that your opinion or any basis to that? How strong was he to battle against someone like Elkjaer who possesses extremely strong hold up play?
Now let's consider what you didn't address:
Number 1 - Pace. Is Blind fast? Faster than most CBs? Faster than Elkjaer? That is an incredibly important metric in this context to guard against the countless counters I will throw at you.
Number 2 - Alertness and Awareness. You can call it reactions. Was he quick to react? Slow to react? Again an extremely important metric.
Number 3 - Strength, both aerial and physical. Again, how does that fare against Elkjaer's?
You're just being stubborn here :lol:

Number 1 - Pace is sufficient. It's a compact unit and my DM's won't venture up. It's not like I'm playing a high line and need to track back. Why the emphasis on Pace? Do all CB's need to be as fast as at FWs? In this set up, his pace is more than enough.
Number 2 - Yes, he is quick to reach. Infact he is intelligent to anticipate and cut down angles.
Number 3 - Enough to hold on 1vs1 as I mentioned before. He will not be bullied off the ball.

Now, one of my most obvious route to goal is carrying the ball down the right flanks with Amancio and Sagnol with the others breaking through the middle and the left. As per your own admission, you will have Hughes and Nadal against Amancio and Sagnol, with Stiles running along or behind Cubillas and Andrade guarding the trademark darting runs El Matador makes into the box.
With Stiles on Cubillas, this is your only route forward. I can see it coming from a mile away. Not exactly a surprise.

Sigh, the lengths people go to twist things in a draft game. Having to explain all that to someone who has watched and followed the sport extensively, and I pretty much am sure that you don't need any of those explanations but oh well.
Deep line and counter strategy, yet will not give up possession stuff. I have an extra man in middle but hey, let's not talk about that and he'll vanish. :lol:

I talk about Blind vs Elkjaer and you talk about Picchi. I play MM and you talk about Inside/Outside right. You've been off the whole game intentionally or otherwise.

I have 3 midfielders in Brady, Ceulemans and Michel vs your 2 DM's
I have 2 attackers against your 2 CBs.

How goes the numbers game at the other end?

Moby

Dick
Deep line and counter strategy, yet will not give up possession stuff. I have an extra man in middle but hey, let's not talk about that and he'll vanish.
Either quote my posts where I have explained my strategy and what you contradict with or STFU.

I talk about Blind vs Elkjaer and you talk about Picchi.
Despite me asking multiple times about the qualities of the player, you kept on repeating the achievements which I wasn;t asking about. What I did was actually NOT talk about Picchi, if you go back to that comment, but it was to make a point that we are not discussing achievements but skillsets and individual match ups which is far more relevant.

I play MM and you talk about Inside/Outside right.
How many times? Once before you clarified that you are not playing a traditional five man attack. Unlike you, I take a clarification when one is given to me and don't repeatedly ask the same question pretending that I didn't understand it. The one time you got your panties in a twist was when I wasn't even talking about your formation but the one harms had posted. Again, fail.

You've been off the whole game intentionally or otherwise.
It's there for everyone in the thread to see who has done what, thank you.

I have 3 midfielders in Brady, Ceulemans and Michel vs your 2 DM's
So you have THREE players in the same central area AND Dalglish occupying that region? Great. Once again what I assumed was actually the better path for your team, that your auxillary wide men need to drift wide and ease up the congestion in the middle which is now apparently FOUR players with highly overlapping skillsets and positions. Is that really how you see your team operating and not being counter-productive?