Reserves Draft QF2 | BBRBB v Aldo Staine

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
BBRBB's Tactics

Team Instructions

Formation : 4-4-2 diamond
Playing Style : balance of quick counter attacks and possession spells
Defensive Line : Medium
Preferred Zone of Action : Central

Player instructions

Gianluigi Buffon - complete GK
Simply one of the greatest of all time. He has everything you want in a keeper: lightning quick reflexes, great shot stopping, top class aerial command, a true leader. He has won almost every trophy and individual award you can have.

My central defense is made by the best two defenders of their era. You can often hear that defenders are not as strong as they used to be. I disagree, those two guys are the real deal. If one wants to assign them roles Thiago Silva will be the ball-playing, anticipating one while Godin will be the stopper, although they both know everything about defending.

Thiago Silva - CB
He is a very strong and agressive defender with high pace that allows him to match every forward on the planet. Looking at him now only his sense of anticipation, positioning and a complete bag of tricks would let you guess that he used to be a skinny defender who had to rely more on skills than physicality. Developing his grown man body and learning from the best like Maldini and Nesta made him one of the most feared and respected defenders in the world. He already has 14 team trophies and 20 individual awards, one world cup or a Champions League win would definitely cement his place as one of the all time greats.

Diego Godin - CB
Diego Godin is the leader of the most impressive defence of recent history. Everyone knows how tough it is to beat Atletico, with Godin being the cornerstone of the defensive setup, but Diego has also turned Uruguay back into a relevant nation on the international stage, winning two Copa Americas and reaching the later stages of the World Cup. He is always at the right place at the right time doing the right thing, winning his duels and influencing his teammates to play better. He has regularly had to fight against the odds facing some of the greatest attackers of all time, and he has won consistently.

Maicon - Right Back
He was gifted with outstanding physical attributes, athleticism, excellent technical and crossing ability, as well as a powerful shot, making him a serious attacking threat down the right wing. This is the Maicon of his peak years for Mourinho and Brazil 2010, disciplined and unbeatable defensively while being able to wreak havoc on demand on the right flank.

Júnior - Playmaking left back
Júnior was widely known for his versatility. Perfectly two-footed he was operating on the left side of the pitch, either as a left back as he will be used today or as a midfielder. He will influence defence, tasked to shut down the opposite winger with the help of Overath, offer his technical skill in midfield to add to the stranglehold we will have in the center of the pitch and timely run down the left flank to offer width.

Alain Giresse - CM Secondary playmaker
Giresse was one of the standout CM of his generation. Operating from the right for Bordeaux or in France's famous carré magique he brings the total package: great passer long and short, agile, dribbler, reliable shooting he has everything you want from a creative player and his workrate will help a lot in defensive phase.
He will be the second most advanced midfielder, providing runs down the flank and through the middle.

Javier Mascherano - DM
We have a Swiss army knife in midfield. Mascherano's main task will be to shield the defense. He will harass the opponent's creative players, block the passing lines and cover for the teammates who venture out of position, if needed he can drop back in central defence when the situation calls for it.
On top of his defensive prowess he knows how to pick a pass and will contribute to the fluidity of counter attacks and general ball movement.

Wolfgang Overath - defensive box to box
One of the best midfielders of German history. His technical quality, strength in duels, long passing and long range shooting make him a very useful and versatile player. His hard work and playmaking skills will allow us to either keep possession or lanch very quick counter attacks. He will play a bit more defensively than Giresse on the other side to keep balance.

Nils Liedholm - number 10
Several of my players can be labelled playmakers but Liedholm will still be my main man. Why? Because he's one of the best technicians the game have ever seen. He was a most elegant player with great vision, passing, crossing and a deadly shoot with his left foot. The legend states that it took him 2 years after he joined Milan AC to misplace his first pass; shocked by this anormal event, the Milan crowd gaving a five minute long ovation. He was also an accomplished athlete, training regularly the 100m, 3000m and high jump, making him physically dominant and allowing him to work hard for the team at the highest level until the age of 39. As our playmaker his job will be to link up with the other players, putting them in the best possible situations, deliver the final ball to the forwards and be a dangerous secondary goal threat himself.

Nándor Hidegkuti - deep-lying center forward
One of the key members of the Golden Hungarian team of the 50s, he is known for pioneering the "false 9" position. He was often dropping deep in midfield to distribute play to the forwards while remaining a very dangerous goal threat. Don Revie sums up pretty well how feared he was: "In the summer of 1954 England and Scotland were knocked out of the World Cup series in Switzerland. That competition was won by Germany, but dominated by Hungary, who played with a deep-lying centre forward, Nandor Hidegkuti. Alongside him; Sandor Koscis and Ferenc Puskas, two of the greatest inside-forwards in the world. But whatever people claim of Koscis and Puskas, it was the man Hidegkuti who tore the England defence to shreds at Wembley in November 1953. It was Hidegkuti, again playing his hide-and-seek centre-forward game, who shattered England in the return match in Budapest in May 1954, when we were thrashed 7-1."

Vavá - mobile striker
The last piece of the puzzle. With so many creative players in our squad we needed the perfect striker up front and Vavá is just that. He was very mobile, with quality movement off the ball, he liked to initiate or relay one twos or triangle plays and finished chances ruthlessly. He is also one of the first forwards known to press hard the opposition midfielders. Leading the line for the 58 and 62 WC winning Brazil sides he complemented the likes of Pelé, Zagallo, Garrincha and Didi perfectly, scoring 9 goals on the way. He will like as much Hidegkuti, Liedholm, Giresse or Júnior as they will like him.

Gameplan

Our diamond formation has a natural central focus and that's where we will insist and try to win the game. Aldo/Stain roster lacks the steel and grit in midfield to prevent my technical players from having a field day. Plan A is to force our way through the middle by the quality of passing sequences. Plan B is to overload the wings with runs from CMs and fullbacks once opponents tuck in to protect the center. With our very mobile front 3 and support players our counters will also be deadly.
Defensively we will also protect the middle first, that will force our opponents to reach the wings, that's when we will start pressing heavily. We will also make sure to have enough defensive cover at all times to handle the counters.

Why we will win

-We will win the midfield battle. Our opponent can't match our workrate and technicality in midfield and infact I expect no battle but a simple bloodbath.
-We have a lot of playmaking power, all the players play in their perfect position, yet they all thrive in smooth collective passing play and don't require to hog the ball. Imagining them in action is mouth watering.
-Our opponent will have too many problems to solve (more to come on that in the game thread).
-Our defense is rock solid, and the opposition will have to try to win duels consistently if he wants to create danger. I wouldn't bet on him succeeding.

Moby

Dick
Aldo Staine's Tactics

Team Instructions
Formation : 4-2-3-1
Playing Style : Quick counter attacking strategy
Defensive Line : Deep
Preferred Zone of Action : Final Third

Player Instructions
Willy Sagnol
- Right Back - Support
Armando Picchi - Centre Back - Sweeper
Pietro Vierchowod - Centre Back - Stopper
Joan Segarra - Left Back - Automatic
Dunga - Central Midfielder - Holding Midfielder
Gennaro Gattuso - Central Midfielder - Defensive Midfielder
Teofilo Cubillas - Attacking Midfielder - Goalscoring Playmaker
Bruno Conti - Right Winger - Attacking Winger
Mario Kempes - Left Forward - Goalscoring Wing-Forward
Uwe Seeler - Striker - All Round Centre-Forward

Tactical Layout

Starting from the back is the legendary Brazilian keeper Gilmar, absolutely adept in a deep defensive line bring forward his brilliant 1v1 play, excellent positioning and shot stopping to the team. Protecting the keeper is the four man defense revolving around the legendary Italian Sweeper Armando Picchi partnered by the animal Pietro Vierchowod. Picchi's wonderful reading of the game and defensive nous will perfectly compliment Vierchowod's all action aggressive play. Vierchowod will be allowed to close down his opponent quickly and go into hard tackles and challenges while Picchi remains at the back as the cover and he doesn't let much past him. Picchi's forward play will also be used to bring the ball out of the defense and play it forward quickly and sensibly leading to many a counters.

Flanking them are two other European stalwarts in Willy Sagnol and Joan Segarra. The Frenchman will form a tight right side of the defense next to Picchi, will stay compact in defense and extremely alert and quick to react against his threat, while possessing the stamina and determination to shut down that flank, similarly Segarra's masterful defensive technique and concentration will complete the watertight backline with his exceptional concentration, tackling, athleticism, strength and most importantly the ability to stand up on the biggest of occasions will be key in protecting the goal. In attack, Sagnol will be allowed to perform his trademark overlapping runs on the outside of the right winger whipping in delicious crosses to the middle while the right footed Segarra makes full use of the space in the front of him to compliment the left forward and show his goal scoring ability, which he did on several important occasions. Can't help but think of him as a Spanish Giacinto Facchetti - The Grand Captain will be captaining this side as well.

Shielding this immense backline is the powerful duo of Dunga and Gennaro Gattuso. Dunga will be playing in his comfort zone, in front of a compact defense using his high levels of concentration and reading of the game along with his metronomic passing ability to further quicken the transition. Alongside, the destroyer Gattuso will act as the defensive support, easily capable of defending the flanks as well. Completing the midfield is the greatest Peruvian player of all time - Teofilo Cubillas. A wonderfully gifted playmaker, he will link up the defense and attack with his unpredictable passing and creativity, while his well renowned goalscoring ability will be highly vital in providing an immense goal threat to the team.

In attack, the right side is occupied by the tireless one man wing-wizard Bruno Conti, who while being a brilliant dribbler who could skin his fullback at pace was also a fantastic versatile attacking presence, and of course made the difference on both sides of the pitch. He will be allowed the platform by Sagnol behind him as well as Gattuso on his side to take on his fullback again and again till he finds a way through and provides the service. His crossing reaching Seeler will be a massive threat.

On the left is the WC Golden Ball Winner, Mario Kempes. An absolute weapon in attack, he will have a free role on the left side of the pitch where he did most of his damage from, to take on the opposition CBs and providing fine passing and movement as well as bulldozing past his opponent with pace and strength. His immense work rate would be highly valuable and would contribute to the midfield battle in terms of pressing and give us an option of breaking quickly down that side. He's absolutely in his element here and would be a dangerous goal threat.

Lastly, the man leading the team up front is none other than the incomparable German Legend Uwe Seeler. The German's exceptional brilliance in the air will be devastating with the delivery from the assist machine Conti, and his predatory instincts in the box as well as insane goal threat that he adds complete the team brilliantly. He has the perfect set of players around him to bring into play with his amazing all round play.

Key Factors
- The pace of the attack is fearsome and is valuable for the counter attacking strategy the team is following. There will be no rest given to the opposition defense once we get the ball, we will attack with lightning quick counters.

- The completeness of the attackers, all of them provide exceptional passing, movement, link up play and goal scoring, not to mention the likes of Seeler and Kempes being hardcore work horses who will be working their socks off on and off the ball.

- The ability to bring the ball from back to front with quality passing options. Three out of four defenders are excellent on the ball, with Picchi being a fine outlet to play it out and both Sagnol and Segarra being fantastic technically to carry it forward. Again, counter attacks galore.

- The midfield duo again being a perfect fit for the team strategy, they form an impregnable back six and have no trouble whatsoever in controlling the distribution and constantly provide the front four with the service.

- Amazing complementary partnerships all over the pitch. Picchi and Vierchowod are tailor made to form a historic partnership. Segarra's adventurous attacking play and right footedness complements the wing forward on that side while Sagnol's overlapping on the outside will be mouth watering in tandem with the swashbuckling wing play of Conti.

- No shortage of work rate down the flanks. Both Kempes and Conti are as hard working as they come and they will add a tremendous amount of pressing and break up play in dangerous position, driving it forward from there. They'll create an immense amount of chances from there.

- Lastly, there is an immense amount of goal threat in the team, and we'll get on the scoresheet almost certainly. Be it from open play where all four at the front have excellent records or a magical free kick from Cubillas or an overhead kick from Seeler or even a strike from the attacking Segarra. Or a cross from Sagnol headed down by Seeler with the likes of Kempes and Cubillas always ready to unleash a shot.

All in all the team has been built with players complimenting each other all over the park, packs a devastating punch in attack, has the required work rate and tenacity to win the battle for 90 minutes and backed by a proper no nonsense defensive unit.

Enigma_87

You know who
-We will win the midfield battle. Our opponent can't match our workrate and technicality in midfield and infact I expect no battle but a simple bloodbath.
I do think BBRBB has better midfield but the last part is a bit of a stretch.

I like BBRBB diamond it's really good and I like Overath and Giresse in that role as they will provide width. Not sure if Junior is the best for a diamond as he tends to drift in the middle, while here he's expected to offer the width BBRBB needs.

Aldo's front 4 is pretty excellent I think they compliment really well. I think Gattuso and Dunga's roles should be reversed with Dunga in a DM while Gattuso is box to box. I don't get what automatic and support should mean for the full backs?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Can't see how Overath, Liedholm, Giresse, Hidegkuti and even Junior will create a working unit.
Especially shoehorning Overath as a defensive box-to-box?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I do think BBRBB has better midfield but the last part is a bit of a stretch.

I like BBRBB diamond it's really good and I like Overath and Giresse in that role as they will provide width. Not sure if Junior is the best for a diamond as he tends to drift in the middle, while here he's expected to offer the width BBRBB needs.

Aldo's front 4 is pretty excellent I think they compliment really well. I think Gattuso and Dunga's roles should be reversed with Dunga in a DM while Gattuso is box to box. I don't get what automatic and support should mean for the full backs?
I expected Szepan in midfield like in his previous game.
Sure Gattuso brings more grit and workrate but the caveat is that he will suffer a lot in terms of technical ability. With both Vierchowod an Gattuso being distinctly average on the ball, his plan of quick counter attacks will take a hit. He will
either have to play it safe and slow down his attacks or have his worse players have to attempt dangerous passes in his own 30 yards and risk serving me goals on a platter.

Júnior is a smart player and exploits the pockets of space he finds. In this game they will be on the left flank for him.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Can't see how Overath, Liedholm, Giresse, Hidegkuti and even Junior will create a working unit.
Why? I think they all thrive playing along other skilled players.

Overath looks great to me in a box to box role like Tigana in the 80s French team, except he will have more freedom since Mascherano won't make forward runs like Luis Fernandez.

harms

Staff
Why? I think they all thrive playing along other skilled players.

Overath looks great to me in a box to box role like Tigana in the 80s French team, except he will have more freedom since Mascherano won't make forward runs like Luis Fernandez.
You compare this to French magic square, only you have 2 playmakers on top of that (in Junior and Hidegkuti) and I'm not at all sold on Overath - Tigana comparison. There is a reason there were only 2 successful teams built around the midfield square - it requires incredible balance and level of chemistry between the players. I don't see it in your team and I'm not a fan of trying to replicate this formation in the drafts, it always goes wrong.

Enigma_87

You know who
Overath can hold his own in the midfield, but he is surely a LCM, box to box - yea but defensive box to box means he'll have to cover a lot of ground and probably would be sacrificed in order to have Giresse as a playmaker. To be honest I'd like Overath to be the secondary playmaker and have a runner next to him(in other words his role with Giresse - swapped)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Thing has become a joke, it would seem.

Perhaps we should take a break - as in, collectively. Can't have people taking the piss to this extent - makes a mockery of the whole thing.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I don't see BBRBB's team as functional at all. Too many overlaps to be any kind of effective.

Junior will not provide width. He tends to drfit in the middle and create from there..and will be stepping in Overath's toes. Overath himself lacks a hardworking partner for him to be effective. I don't see these two combining in the left flank at all. Same with Liedholm and Hidegkuti. They tend to operate in same areas and neither has the pace or movement to make it a flexible combination. Macicon > Giresse is the most (only) workable route and it still at best, par with Aldo's left defence.

Really Like Aldo's team. I rate his players better and more cohesive. Rate Cubillas higher than Mascherano and he'll have a bit more freedom with Kempes drifting in and out.

8-1 is a beyond ridiculous.

Moby

Dick
Thing has become a joke, it would seem.

Perhaps we should take a break - as in, collectively. Can't have people taking the piss to this extent - makes a mockery of the whole thing.
Aye. Fair enough if someone has an issue if these things are getting too much but, well sorta expected the people running this place to act like this rather than tell it openly.

This draft is called off, at least from my end.

Pathetic.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Is there a problem because I'm leading? I don't understand really.

Those who voted for me look like respectable caf members to me. Or is it that incredible that people could prefer my team?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert

Those who voted for me look like respectable caf members to me. Or is it that incredible that people could prefer my team?
I just didn't think the other team could break your defence down, seeing the way the vote was going I didn't think it was that controversial an opinion.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
I just didn't think the other team could break your defence down, seeing the way the vote was going I didn't think it was that controversial an opinion.
Thank you.

I have a few other concerns about Aldo's team that I didn't bother to voice, not wanting to shoot at the ambulance, like we say in France.
I think there are a few hard sells on the other side and it's the manager's job to convince people of their worth.

harms

Staff

It's a clear case of sabotaging the draft, nothing to do with your team's quality. If you'll look over the few last match thread you'll see what are we talking about

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
It's a clear case of sabotaging the draft, nothing to do with your team's quality. If you'll look over the few last match thread you'll see what are we talking about
There was no weird poll issue this time so please name and shame if it's that obvious.

The Stain

Soccer Manager's Highwayman
There was no weird issue last time either.

@The Stain can take over and continue if he wants. I'm out. Good luck with it, I'm not interested in wasting any more time over here.
Nah, feck it. We clearly have the better side but the drafts probably need a break, this is ridiculous.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
There was no weird issue last time either.

@The Stain can take over and continue if he wants. I'm out. Good luck with it, I'm not interested in wasting any more time over here.
Too bad, I don't want to continue myself if I have to go through this if I ever dare to win another match.

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
This has nothing to do with you. Relax.
Whether you like it or not of course it's about me, and @The Stain 's last post expressed out loud the clear lack of respect towards me that transpires through this thread.

If there are some things you don't want to say publicly then please PM.

Moby

Dick
Whether you like it or not of course it's about me, and @The Stain 's last post expressed out loud the clear lack of respect towards me that transpires through this thread.

If there are some things you don't want to say publicly then please PM.
Mate let's just say I know the group involved slightly better. Like I said, I'm not even surprised.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Thank you.

I have a few other concerns about Aldo's team that I didn't bother to voice, not wanting to shoot at the ambulance, like we say in France.
I think there are a few hard sells on the other side and it's the manager's job to convince people of their worth.
I would like to hear a bit more about this. Honestly I've voted for you because I agree with @Earthquake in that your defence looks difficult to break down, although I'd also be interested to hear more specifically about how your forward unit matches up favourably against his defence.

Not sure why everyone is getting waspy about you taking a lead in the poll though.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
people should just post names here because there are plenty of people here that dont know whats happening, including a manager of the opposing team so its specially harsh and unfair to keep him in the dark.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Nah, feck it. We clearly have the better side but the drafts probably need a break, this is ridiculous.
You don't. There's nothing clear about that. I have no clue what's going on with the votes or if there's some weird agenda going on or not and if it is, I get that you're frustrated, but ffs, you guys act like arrogant pricks towards @BBRBB who built a beautiful team with maybe some minor flaws and has been nothing but nice and respectful towards everyone else.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
Always enjoyed reading these threads but this one has taken an utterly bizarre twist, these threads are a good learning tool but this one has been forcibly made in to some sort of smokes and mirrors game.

For shame.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
A close match this one. BBRBB's got a lot of players who I'd normally anticipate to not get their fair dues - the 50s attacking trio would sometimes suffer because of their relative obscurity and lack of compelling footage, while the back-line would get the 'modern defenders are poor' schtick. It's very centrally orientated, but the full-backs are strong in this context while there's some serious quality in that midfield with players who are well versed in finding their niche alongside even greater colleagues.

As for AldoStaine, they look good: solid backline, robust midfield pair and a spunky attack. My only concern is the transitions from deep areas, so with that in mind it would be crucial as to who scores first here.

Vidic_In_Moscow

rectum-faced pygmy
Supports
i stink
Any team with Maicon in it is a win for me lol

Check out this in form version from Fifa

I don't think any of Aldo's defenders got in-form versions on Fifa