Reserves Draft QF2 | BBRBB v Aldo Staine

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Not sure why mods have been called into this or questioned, if there was a problem with draft threads they would have been stopped yonks ago surely?

Some posters may genuinely not know enough to make an in-depth observation to the thread, tactically speaking and on the caf you'll always get a few comments that aren't in the 'spirit' of the thread but are in the spirit of the cafe, so relax.

I voted for you Aldo, the game looks like it should be tight and you picked one of the worlds great freekick takers, basically taking out BBRBB's strong def.
If you lot simply wanted me gone, should've just said so instead of coming up with this 'sabotage' plan. The only thing that disturbs me here is that between all this others put time and effort into something which went waste, not that any of you would give a feck about that.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
If you lot simply wanted me gone, should've just said so instead of coming up with this 'sabotage' plan. The only thing that disturbs me here is that between all this others put time and effort into something which went waste, not that any of you would give a feck about that.
I'm so confused here, I stopped by the draft because I keep seeing the threads and wanted to see what was going on, now I've seen the effort that goes in I'm interested to hear more about the teams.

I'm just confused as to what can be happening between you and mods behind the scenes? Why do you think they're out to get you? I'm so confused here :confused:

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
In the other draft, one lad a had a meltdown and couldn't decide if he wanted to play, now that reply to a post trying to de-escalate things? Tin-foil hats and fecking Drake in the dug-outs.

@Rado_N Buffon is a good point actually but even the best keepers can be flumoxed by a top class freekick.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
I entered one of these drafts a while back so I'm not a complete newbie. I know how they work and I hope that the time I took to assess each persons team for strengths and weaknesses isn't wasted by discounting my vote.

It wasn't very close in my estimations and ultimately I voted for BBRBB because my grandad told me he held Hidegkuti in very high esteem, certainly higher than Dunga, Picchi or Vierchowod, who he tells me are very firmly average. His words 'Hidegkuti was an outstanding player. He'd run rings around Dunga (lol more like Dung-ha!) and Vierchowod, who my army friends called Viercho-wood - he was so static it was like he'd grown roots. Of these two teams BBRBB's has to win. I don't know who this Aldo is but he is a moron'.

Sorry Aldo, but my grandad is very good at football estimations, he once predicted that we'd win the 2010-11 Prem title 2 whole weeks before the season actually finished! An amazing man.

Well done BBRBB.

Lastwolf

I voted for BBRBB because I think that in football more than any other sport, a team takes the personality of its manager. BBRB has shown a steadfast determination and singlemindedness that reminds me of the great 05 Chelsea or 56 Steaua Bucharest in their will to win. He's not getting sidetracked by drama and hurt feelings like Aldo/Stain are. Aldo/Staine are making the same mistakes as 09 Arsenal or 97 MLS All Stars West. I think Diego Simeone would agree that talented high maintenance sides may look better on paper but as we all know, Redcafe Reserves Drafts aren't played in paper they are played on the pitch. And on the pitch, I'll take BBRBB because of their mental strength and also because less of their players are in wheelchairs.
Well said, we oft forget that football is a team game, that the sum is greater than the individual parts and that the manager is the beating heart of it. With a good manager even a team that should lose on paper can win in actuality, why just think of the half time team talks, to stiffen the sinews, summon up the blood, disguise fair nature with hard-favour'd rage, then see in the players eyes a terrible aspect.

Tbf, I think it's a close game I have BBRBB's team edging it 2-1 in the 97th minute via Liedholm's halfway line overhead kick.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I get that these drafts are a bit silly, but overall they're still excellent football discussion and a fun way for people to learn about the history of the game if they're interested in it.
That's been my take on it too. Harmless fun for geeks and hipsters (and the odd madman).

For my money we've never been hostile to newcomers either - that's certainly not how I felt when I was a newcomer myself.

Well, well - it was a good ride while it lasted.

RedTiger

Half mast
Is there a problem because I'm leading? I don't understand really.

Those who voted for me look like respectable caf members to me. Or is it that incredible that people could prefer my team?
There's nothing wrong with your team, fact it's probably the better side in this match but In all honesty there definitely is something fishy with the votes

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
this year is my year on SM
There's nothing wrong with your team, fact it's probably the better side in this match but In all honesty there definitely is something fishy with the votes
It looks well poised for an exciting finish though?

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Not sure why mods have been called into this or questioned, if there was a problem with draft threads they would have been stopped yonks ago surely?

Some posters may genuinely not know enough to make an in-depth observation to the thread, tactically speaking and on the caf you'll always get a few comments that aren't in the 'spirit' of the thread but are in the spirit of the cafe, so relax.

I voted for you Aldo, the game looks like it should be tight and you picked one of the worlds great freekick takers, basically taking out BBRBB's strong def.
You can't rely on set pieces though, otherwise whoever would pick Beckham or Juninho would win every draft.

Plus, with Godin, Thiago Silva, Mascherano, and Buffon who is probably the most commanding and best at organizing his defence since Big Pete, even the best free kick taker is going to struggle to get some joy. If Also's defence is up for it and it's cleared, BBRBB has the wingbacks to launch a quick counter and a versatile attack to take advantage of it.

Revan

Assumptionman
That's been my take on it too. Harmless fun for geeks and hipsters (and the odd madman).

For my money we've never been hostile to newcomers either - that's certainly not how I felt when I was a newcomer myself.

Well, well - it was a good ride while it lasted.
It was like that at the beginning, but I don't think it is the case anymore. It is also the reason why I haven't been voting (or posting) in these threads for some time now (at least since antohan left the Caf). At the beginning these threads were done as a good way of learning football, with some great posters like antohan, Brwned and co having nice discussions, and it was never about winning. I didn't ever participate as a manger, because I lack the knowledge of all football eras (well, I lack the knowledge compared to other people here), and I found it a bit unfair to just go in wiki and other resources to research about players that I have never heard about and pretend that I know a lot of them. Which is what I think some (a minority, but still a vocal minority) have been doing, making this more a competition than a discussion about football. Which as I said at the beginning, was the main reason why I started voting (though still at times reading) these types of threads. An another reason is that it started becoming more complicated with putting more constraints and I was feeling quite uncomfortable voting for teams where I haven't heard about half of the players.

Again, this might just be my impression and I could be completely wrong about it (i.e. maybe all posters have really good knowledge about the players they choose).

Now, I voted yesterday because I saw more votes than usual, and I had the impression that more non-regulars have been voting, so I thought that my vote (even if completely wrong) won't change that much. I also known the majority of players in both teams, so an another reason to vote.

I think that the teams are very close in quality, with BBRBB having the better defense, but Aldo having the better midfield and attack. I was quite tempted to go first with BBRBB, but then I can see Kempes doing quite well against Maicon, while Conti can make a great partnership with Sagnol (one of my favorite defenders of all time) so in the end I had to vote for aldo. I also think that Seeler can create all type of problems to Silva and Godin (who while great defenders, lets be fair, we are in an era when defenders are shit compared to previous years). He still have to face Buffon though, who IMO is the best goalkeeper of all time after Yashin and Zoff (again, I am using some type of normalized evaluation, because as I have said in other threads, I think that the improvement in football goes with the age and now players are better than before if we compare their absolute ability; with goalkeeping being the clearest position for this).

On BBRBB team, I am not convinced from that attack. It might be just ignorance from my part, because I am not very familiar with Hidegkuti and Vavo, but what the feck, it is all a fun game.

Anyway, it is a close result which is to be expected considering that we are talking for defense vs attack, and maybe the voting count is affected from the current results of Atletico Madrid who has been defeating repeatedly teams with much better attack (with Atletico having a great defense). Or as aldo said, it might just be some type of organized pisstake from some mod, in which case I would suggest to report it and talk with Niall. As far as I am aware, these types of games have been always allowed here. And I could pretty much guarantee that there is no chance that Rado_N would do this, considering that he takes the modding very seriously and has been nothing but helpful in these draft threads. I would also be almost sure that Adzzz wouldn't sabotage these threads, because he has been here a mod for as long as I can remember, and has never abused his mod powers. Cannot say anything for Cina, it isn't a secret that I don't like him, so I don't want to talk about that.

Regardless, I hope that you continue playing these matches, because it is one of the very few things that I still like in Caf. In fact, it is probably the best thing going on football forums, where all the other threads are either moaning on Van Gaal or fantasizing for the players we have no chance of signing, with the occassional people not wanting to sign players cause they cost so much.

RedTiger

Half mast
It looks well poised for an exciting finish though?
Come on mate, no need to take the piss:nono: it's just a bit of harmless fun to take our minds of the disaster that is the current footie forum:) if you all lay off trying to sabotage the games then we will promise that this will be the last draft for at least 6 months. Deal?

Moby

Dick
Or as aldo said, it might just be some type of organized pisstake from some mod, in which case I would suggest to report it and talk with Niall.
Nah I'm good. It isn't the first time this group has done something like this and it won't be the last. They've driven people out before. No point wasting any more time on here.

Good thing for me is, leaving is an option. And honestly, all they had to do was ask. But anyway, one way or the other...

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Which is what I think some (a minority, but still a vocal minority) have been doing, making this more a competition than a discussion about football.
It's odd, because most of us seem to agree that the matches themselves are the least enjoyable part of these drafts - and a huge part of that (for me, at least) is that they have a tendency to turn into pure (and tedious, senseless) point scoring contests, rather than occasions for showcasing great players (not least players who aren't that well known and/or have interesting stories attached to them).

It's a tricky balance, however, because sometimes these matches do contain excellent discussions - and given the present format, you simply don't get that sort of discussion as part of the drafting itself (the stage where people pick players): It takes particular (hypothetical/fantasy) situations and match-ups to generate it, which you don't get unless you stage a "match" of some sort or other.

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
Come on mate, no need to take the piss:nono: it's just a bit of harmless fun to take our minds of the disaster that is the current footie forum:) if you all lay off trying to sabotage the games then we will promise that this will be the last draft for at least 6 months. Deal?
This is bollox. So I can't vote for anyone? on looking at other draft threads it appears that Aldo alone has as many votes as those threads.

What is the logic behind your accusations? BB has more recognisable players. This looks to have gotten an early bandwagon. As the day has gone on the quality of Aldos team has come through. I'm fairly certain some have swapped over.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
You can't rely on set pieces though, otherwise whoever would pick Beckham or Juninho would win every draft.

Plus, with Godin, Thiago Silva, Mascherano, and Buffon who is probably the most commanding and best at organizing his defence since Big Pete, even the best free kick taker is going to struggle to get some joy. If Also's defence is up for it and it's cleared, BBRBB has the wingbacks to launch a quick counter and a versatile attack to take advantage of it.
Particularly it was the two centrebacks who made me think Cubillas would a good choice because of his freekicks, Godin and Silva are incredibly solid. In a tight game it's small details that often count and even though last night we saw that a great attack can't always beat a great defense, I usually come down on the attacking side and that was why I picked that team. FWIW Juninho and Beckham would both be excellent choices for most teams.

RedTiger

Half mast
This is bollox. So I can't vote for anyone? on looking at other draft threads it appears that Aldo alone has as many votes as those threads.

What is the logic behind your accusations? BB has more recognisable players. This looks to have gotten an early bandwagon. As the day has gone on the quality of Aldos team has come through. I'm fairly certain some have swapped over.
You're more than welcome to vote big-red, it's just that I know a handful of posters have decided to feck about with this draft. I don't blame them either because it must be maddening to see constant drafts in the forums but we're not disparaging other posters or making rude comments.

This is my last draft anyway.

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Particularly it was the two centrebacks who made me think Cubillas would a good choice because of his freekicks, Godin and Silva are incredibly solid. In a tight game it's small details that often count and even though last night we saw that a great attack can't always beat a great defense, I usually come down on the attacking side and that was why I picked that team.
Aye, it's very close regardless. I love diamonds like BBRBB's though(one of my fave systems to play in FM), so maybe that's influencing my pick too.
FWIW Juninho and Beckham would both be excellent choices for most teams.
I agree! Tbh, I think Becks was highly underrated due to his flash lifestyle and controversial exit from Man Utd. He really was top class though.

Revan

Assumptionman
Nah I'm good. It isn't the first time this group has done something like this and it won't be the last. They've driven people out before. No point wasting any more time on here.

Good thing for me is, leaving is an option. And honestly, all they had to do was ask. But anyway, one way or the other...
I wouldn't suggest to leave. I really like some of your posts. I mostly disagree with them, but still they generate thought-provoking opinions (like in the meat thread).

Regardless, not going to talk more about mods in this thread. If what you're saying is true, then I don't want a mod doing the same to me. Feel free however to PM me.

It's odd, because most of us seem to agree that the matches themselves are the least enjoyable part of these drafts - and a huge part of that (for me, at least) is that they have a tendency to turn into pure (and tedious, senseless) point scoring contests, rather than occasions for showcasing great players (not least players who aren't that well known and/or have interesting stories attached to them).

It's a tricky balance, however, because sometimes these matches do contain excellent discussions - and given the present format, you simply don't get that sort of discussion as part of the drafting itself (the stage where people pick players): It takes particular (hypothetical/fantasy) situations and match-ups to generate it, which you don't get unless you stage a "match" of some sort or other.
As I said, I might be completely wrong about it and I will take your word on it considering that you have been spending much more time than me here. It was just my impression which might be completely wrong, especially since I haven't read all the threads since antohan left (his posts were a joy, almost like an education about South American leagues, a topic which I am completely unfamiliar with).

Big-Red

Not actually very big
Staff
Supports
You're more than welcome to vote big-red, it's just that I know a handful of posters have decided to feck about with this draft. I don't blame them either because it must be maddening to see constant drafts in the forums but we're not disparaging other posters or making rude comments.

This is my last draft anyway.
Fair enough mate. I can't comment on others, the tone felt quite accusatory to new voters. the drama did attract me in truth be told. But I'm voting based on the managers.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
As I said, I might be completely wrong about it and I will take your word on it considering that you have been spending much more time than me here. It was just my impression which might be completely wrong, especially since I haven't read all the threads since antohan left (his posts were a joy, almost like an education about South American leagues, a topic which I am completely unfamiliar with).
No, I don't think you're wrong at all - the impression that some treat these fantasy matches as competition more than anything else is spot on.

And, yeah - anto is very much missed. Haven't been the same since he left - although it has to be said that he wasn't exactly non-competitive himself...;)

Earthquake

Pokemon expert
Fair enough mate. I can't comment on others, the tone felt quite accusatory to new voters. the drama did attract me in truth be told. But I'm voting based on the managers.
Same here, felt pretty crappy about it too.

Especially since the only reason I took an interest is because Aldo himself tagged me in one of these the other week, so I decided to watch and see what it's all about, thinking that at least they'd appreciate more votes.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I found it just strange that all the not-frequent voters decided to vote BBRBB and nearly at the same time. 8 votes within 30mins is beyond the norm imo.

But considering the posts subsequently, I'm willing to take this at face value as with good intent and progress with this draft.

Snowjoe

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Staff
Supports
Cheltenham Town
Gonna try and get this back on track somewhat.

@Aldo how do you see the match up between Vierchowod and Vava? He's obviously a tank and you say that he has the okay to go in aggressively but I'm concerned that could lead to cards against such a mobile striker in Vava.

How would you plan to counter that?

BBRBB

Supports
Paris Saint-Germain
Cheers everyone who was constructive here.

Sorry @Aldo @The Stain it had to turn out like this. No hard feelings of course.

This was my first draft game and last in the foreseeable future.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Cheers everyone who was constructive here.

Sorry @Aldo @The Stain it had to turn out like this. No hard feelings of course.

This was my first draft game and last in the foreseeable future.
Could you not be so nice and polite please? You're a Parisian, there's a reputation to maintain, you should be a cnut with everybody.

Muffled funk

Not to be trusted
I lack the football knowledge of past eras, so it might be that I was completely wrong there, and just favorized the team which had more players that I know. Now, I am not completely unfamiliar with Aldo's defense, but I haven't watch those players as much as I watched BBRBB's defense. And it doesn't help that I really like Godin.

Better to stay original to my decision on not voting in these threads. Would be uncomfortable if my vote eliminates some manager which deserved to go to the next round, in process ruining possible great discussions on the next thread.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
I lack the football knowledge of past eras, so it might be that I was completely wrong there, and just favorized the team which had more players that I know. Now, I am not completely unfamiliar with Aldo's defense, but I haven't watch those players as much as I watched BBRBB's defense. And it doesn't help that I really like Godin.

Better to stay original to my decision on not voting in these threads. Would be uncomfortable if my vote eliminates some manager which deserved to go to the next round, in process ruining possible great discussions on the next thread.
Intriguing highlighted half (considering where you pasted it from). Really makes one question the nature and motive behind certain votes.

Muffled funk

Not to be trusted
Yeah I posted that and then went to take away my vote before realising it wouldn't let me.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Tbf though, the same thing happened to mazhar in his match initially, with the score becoming 18-2 after a very short period, and the voting for that thread mysteriously becoming locked - so I highly doubt that it's people wanting you out. Obviously you can't rule out one or two posters with an agenda, casting a vote against you but that goes with the territory and maybe even happens in just about every draft match.

Regardless, something is certainly off with the voting patterns (18-2 and 8-1 rapid surges, in what should have been close matches) and they do seem to suggest something funny going on behind the scenes. Not that every random surge has an ulterior motive behind it, as Gio stated with his 40s draft games being a great example and also Barney's game in the British Draft for instance. You always get the random vote or two (I recall rimaldo saying in the general that he randomly votes in these draft thread sometimes which was actually quite funny) and people usually just laugh it off etc. However, there have been more than a few voters's comments taking the mickey in this thread alone (rimaldo is bloody hilarious though :lol:) and I don't want to accuse anyone of anything but it does look like something is off. It's always great to see new voters participating and voicing their opinions, and I'm sure there are more than a few of that ilk in this thread, so I mean no offense if you genuinely voted without any tomfoolery in mind. What I do suspect is that a select few voters decided to just play a light-hearted joke/prank on the draft games (no different from the truckloads of those that exist in the classic threads forum) without realising that the posters involved put a lot of time and effort into these things - sorry if that sounds pretentious. So it unfortunately resulted in quite a few posters being defensive and rubbing others the wrong way, including BBRB for example. Just a shame really.

Could you not be so nice and polite please? You're a Parisian, there's a reputation to maintain, you should be a cnut with everybody.
:lol:

Gonna try and get this back on track somewhat.

@Aldo how do you see the match up between Vierchowod and Vava? He's obviously a tank and you say that he has the okay to go in aggressively but I'm concerned that could lead to cards against such a mobile striker in Vava.

How would you plan to counter that?
Vierchowod was really athletic and fairly pacy for a centre-back of his ilk. He most certainly could hold his own against mobile forwards and was an excellent defender on his day.

Last edited: