Reserves Draft SF2 | Downcast/mazhar vs Joga/RedTiger

Who will win based on all the players at their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Downcast/mazhar

Team Joga/RedTiger

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
TEAM Downcast/mazhar - THE BLUE DREAM TEAM

INTRODUCTION

Formation : 4-3-3
Playing Style : Offensive
Defensive Line : Normal
Preferred Zone of Action : Balanced, fluid front 3, interchanging. Strong and solid midfield to win us the ball back quickly.

Player Profiles:
Zlatko Cajkovski - separate profile
Rest of the team(Schumacher, Dietz, Bessonov, Bratseth, Schulz)
Rest of the team(Schweini, Simonsen, Papin, Villa)

Player Instructions

Dani Alvès - Right Back
Willi Schulz - Centre Back
Bratseth - Centre Back
Bernard Dietz - Left Back

Zlatko Cajkovski - Central Midfielder - Holding Midfielder/Pivot
Bastian Schweinsteiger - Central Midfielder - Box-to-Box Midfielder
Zizinho - Attacking Midfielder - Playmaker

Allan Simonsen - Right Winger - Attacking Winger
Rensenbrinck- Complete
Left-Winger - CaReer peak 1972-1978
Luis Suarez - Complete Striker - Career peak 2012-16

Tactics

Toni Harald Schumacher
- one of the greatest German GK.

Captain Schulz will command my defence as a sweeper. He was in the heart of German defence for 11 years winning 66 caps. Commanding defender with excellent tackling ability and reading of the game, he was a hard as iron right half and later sweeper who was known as the ‘the master of the sliding tackle’.

He's partnered up with Bratseth - one of Bundesliga's best defenders - all round defender capable of playing as a stopper or libero he was an excellent man marker, great leap and also strong into tackle, with added ability on the ball.

On the left flank we have Bernard Dietz who is excellent defender and great going forward with more than 70 goals in 400 games. He's pretty versatile, true leader on the pitch who also played as a CB which goes to show his defensive prowess as well as his excellent goalscoring record.

On the right we have Dani Alves - we all know this guy.

In midfield we have possibly the greatest ever Yugoslav player - Zlatko Cajkovski (Cik), playing as in a holding role.Very intelligent player, with very good technique and tremendous condition, stamina and mentality. Cik always played with great desire to win and even when his team was losing, he was able to motivate them, and turn lost game into victories. Played on the same level from first to the last minute of the game (he was really tireless).

He's paired with Bastian Schweinsteiger in box to box role. Both Cajkovski and Schweinsteiger provide excellent cover for the defence and what he brings to that rock solid partnership is also his passing game. Complimenting that midfield is our midfield magician - Zizinho, one the greastest AM in the game and his creative game is usually second to none. He will be our main playmaker and will link the midfield with our attacking trio.

Our forward line consist of three very prolific goalscorers. The Ballon D'or winner Simonsen will be on the right - a wide forward/winger role where he can exploit the space with his trickery, pace and also finish off moves by himself.

My line attack is also comprised of a Rensenbrink - a world-class Dutch winger, 2 times FIFA WC Runner-Up in 1974 & 1978. El pistolero Luis Suarez is simply the best complete striker of the 2010s.

Key points:
- heavy attack - we do have 3 prolific goalscorers who can interchange and compliment each other.
- solid central core - Schweini and Cajkovski in the middle offer a lot of protection and with Schulz and Bratseth in the core of the defence we have a pretty solid backline.
- wide danger - Simonsen is great at creating chances from the right and he'll be complimented by Dani Alves, while on the other side we have Dietz who is one of the best goalscoring full backs in history complimented with Rensenbrink in a free role.

4 REASONS TO VOTE FOR THE ORANGE DREAM TEAM

I. UNSTOPPABLE LINE ATTACK
II. PROVEN PARTNERSHIP SUAREZ-ALVES
III. GOOD DEFENCE
IV. BATTLE MIDFIELD TO BE WON

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Team Joga Bonito / RedTiger:

Team Instructions

Formation: 4-2-3-1
Playing Style: Attacking direct style with a bit of possession thrown in
Defensive Line: Normal
Preferred Zone of Action: Balanced, with a slight inclination centrally

Player Roles

Edwin van der Sar - Goalkeeper - Shot-stopping/defense organising/ball-playing goalie

Stefan Reuter - Right back - Balanced
Vierchowod - Center Back - Covering
Ruggeri - Central Back - Stopper
Maxime Bossis - Left back - Balanced

Uli Stielike - Defensive Midfielder - Ball playing destroyer
Soren Lerby - Central Midfielder - Box to Box dynamo
Gianni Rivera - Attacking Midfielder - #10

Mario Kempes - Left Forward - Inside left
Roberto Donadoni - Winger - Right Winger/midfielder
Jimmy Greaves - Striker - Spearhead

Defence:

A watertight defensive unit with an imposing central core and a balanced full-back duo patrolling the backline. van der Sar would be the last line of defense, and the United legend would be tasked with organising the defense, and providing his trademark composure and security at the rearguard. One of the greatest stoppers of all time, WC winner Oscar Ruggeri was an immense man-marker and rugged defender, capable of shoring up the defense like few others. One of only 3 defenders, alongside Figueroa and Cafu, to win the South American Footballer of the Year and the La Liga Foreign Player of the Year in 1989 to boot, El Cabezón would primarily function as the aggressive stopper here, complementing the all-round style of his partner perfectly. A classic Italian defensive pillar, Pietro Vierchowod was teak tough, ultra-competitive, possessed great positional sense and the sort of 'afterburn' acceleration that most centre forwards would kill for. It was his phenomenal cocktail of sheer athleticism and defensive nous, which led the likes of van basten, Maradona, Lineker etc to label him as their toughest opponent and allowed him to flourish in the exacting conditions of the Serie A for two decades - winning the Guerin d'Oro ahead of ballon d'Or winning Platini.

Maxime Bossis would reprise his balanced role on the left, making overlapping runs to complement Kempes prowling around the inside left channels, whilst using his defensive nous to keep an eye on the tricky Simonsen on the defensive front. A mainstay in the great French side of the eighties, it is a testament to his quality that Bossis won two French Player of the Year awards in what was no doubt a strong French vintage. Stefan Reuter will also play the balanced full-back role, and in tandem with to Donadoni, it makes for a truly imposing flank with both players capable of leaving their man for dead and making life difficult for them off the ball. A classic wing pairing, the Italian and Frenchman would be on the same wavelength and would thrive playing together - capable of covering for each other, pose a great threat on the entire right flank and dovetail beautifully in both phases.

Midfield:

Stielike will be the bedrock in the engine-room providing the dynamism, tactical nous and physicality in the middle. The Gladbach and Real Madrid legend certainly knew a thing or two about exhibiting his skills on the ball, having excelled as a libero for both club and country. He will play as the holding midfielder here, facilitate ball retention, build-up play and occasionally venture forward to mix things up. The domineering box to box dynamo Soren Lerby would be the other half of the brickwall patrolling the engine room. The irrepressible Lerby was the cornerstone around which the midfield of Bayern, Danish Dynamites and European Cup winning PSV revolved around, with the mad Dane being a real driving force. A quintessential B2B, Lerby was also an excellent footballer to boot and had a lovely left peg on him. Lerby would function as a shuttling B2B whilst being a constant menace for mazhar's midfield off the ball.

The heart beat of the side, The Golden Boy Gianni Rivera, will quite simply be the playmaking maestro whom the side gravitates around. One of the greatest playmakers of all time, ballon d'Or winning Rivera was a sublime genius with unparalleled vision, but also a rapier like threat on the ball with his phenomenal dribbling skills - having started out as a winger. Rivera would be the prime source of the supply line and will look to link up with two excellent ball playing midfielders behind him, feed the ravenous duo of Kempes-Greaves, stretch play with the full-backs/Donadoni or weave his magic by himself. He has the freedom to do as he pleases.

Forwards:

The explosive El Matador Mario Kempes was a goalscoring supremo of the highest pedigree. Kempes wasn't just about goals though and was a great all-round forward, with his tenacity and skill coming right to the fore for both club and country. He was equally capable of pulling something out of the bag with his quirky footwork, or rampaging through defenses like a whirlwind before finishing aplomb. One of the only three players to have won the Golden Ball and the Golden Boot in a single WC, Kempes's 1978 WC exploits were truly stuff of legend - esp his one man crusade against the Dutch in the final with 2 goals and an assist. With Bossis and Lerby to mesh with on the left, Kempes will primarily look to take residence in the left channels and provide incisive runs for Rivera and Donadoni to capitalise on. Donadoni's extreme wingsmanship on the right complements the inside left tendencies of Kempes perfectly and allows the Argentine to play his natural game.

Yet another Rossoneri legend, Donadoni was a fixture down the entire right flank for two great Milan sides, with his trickery and pace being key facets to Milan's wide play. His tactical intelligence meant that he excelled in both Sacchi's high octane 4-4-2 and Capello's rigid Milan sides. Not only was he an inventive player on the ball with pin-point crossing ability, he also possessed midfielder-ish graft which made him an influential and consistent presence on the right flank. Donadoni would primarily be looking to stretch play on the right here, provide the ammunition for Kempes/Greaves and also link-up with the overlapping Reuter.

At the tip of it all is goalscoring supremo Jimmy Greaves. The all-time top scorer in the history of the top 5 European Leagues, Greavesy was an absolutely lethal forward who scored goals out of nothing. He bagged the English League Top Scorer title a stunning 6 times, with a staggering 422 goals in 602 club appearances (220 goals in 321 appearances for Spurs, 124 goals in 157 appearances for Chelsea) and scored a mind boggling 44 goals in 57 caps for England. He will be exploiting the channels, occupying the centre-backs and simply gobble up the service coming his way. All he needs is a whiff of a chance and the ball will be at the back of the net.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Good luck @Downcast & @Joga Bonito . Thanks for taking over/keeping the draft running, guys.

I included the original managers as well, in case they happen to be around. @mazhar13 & @RedTiger just in case :). Hope you're doing well.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
This promises to be a close match with both sides well matched imo.

First of all, that's a lovely forward trio Downcast/mazhar and I can see it working very well. I do think our defense is fairly well poised in dealing with the threat they pose, with Bossis being a great match for the tricky Simonsen and my defense duo being perfect (esp Vierchowod) in dealing with Suarez's all-round and dangerous play. Whilst Rensenbrink could prove to be tricky to deal with, and is your danger man in this match imho, it's key to note that Reuter was a fine defender in his own right and he also has Donadoni reinforcing that flank off the ball with his tactical nous and sheer industry. Ruggeri (someone who has experience playing as a RCB) and Stielike provide perfect cover in the right hand channels/deep-ish midfield areas too, for what it's worth.

Likewise, I do back the firepower of the Kempes-Greaves duo to have the edge over your defense with the likes of Donadoni, Rivera, Bossis, Reuter etc providing the service and stretching play.

Anyway, there isn't much to separate either teams but I do think the edge we have in defense (arguably the best centre back duo and left back, alongside Junior, in this draft) could prove to be a deciding factor in this close match.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Overall, I think Joga/RedTiger defence and midfield is the strongest from all SF teams so far. Complementing CB duo and fullbacks, and some of the best players in their position in midfield. The players in midfield and attack would allow Rivera to flourish. And the attack in Kempes and Greaves isn't too shabby either.

DOwncast's has much better Gk though.

Last edited:

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
Overall, I think Joga/RedTiger defence and midfield is the strongest from all SF teams so far. Complementing CB duo and fullbacks, and some of the best players in their position in midfield. The players in midfield and attack would allow Rivera to flourish. And the attack in Kempes and Greaves isn't too shabby either.

DOwncast's has much better Gk though.
Appreciate the feedback. Also surely, there really isn't much between Schumacher and van der Sar? I'd give van der sar the edge myself, although of course, it's perfectly understandable if people think Schumacher is the slightly better goalie out of the two. Much better seems quite harsh to me though.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

Jimmy discussing tactics with Joga over the cup of coffee in the dressing room.

harms

Staff
The teams are almost identical tactical-wise, with only major difference on the right - Simonsen isn't the pure winger like Donadoni, but the width is greatly compensated by Zizinho and Alves (I think I saw something like this earlier :rolleyes:). Donadoni - Reuter won't be as shiny attacking-wise but would provide better defensive cover for the right wing.

When there is almost nothing between the teams tactically, it's usually just pure 1 on 1 contest

Here's my combined XI, even though the difference in most of the positions is marginal, so the 7:4 lead downcast have in my fantasy team isn't a match-winning difference.
The biggest "mismatches" are Simonsen vs Donadoni, Alves vs Reuter (although this is hugely a personal preference), maybe Bossis vs Dietz and definitely Ruggery vs Bratseth as a reserve centre-back.

Rensenbrink - Greaves - Simonsen
--------------- Zizinho
--- Schweinsteiger --- Stielike
Bossis - Vierchowod - Schulz - Alves
------------- Schumacher

I'll wait for the discussions, maybe some interesting points would be brought up that I missed initially. So far I think that Downcast's right flank can make the difference here with Kempes being basically a forward, but even then you have a great cover in Lerby

Tuppet

The best match of the draft so far. Downcast has an excellent team, with great forwards and midfield. I think understandably Zizinho is getting underrated, Imo he would provide much more graft than Rivera, while not missing much in playmaking front. I also consider BFS better than Lerby so personally I would take Downcast's midfield over Joga's. There is not much between both forward lineups, I think Downcast's a bit more balanced providing width on both side, but again there is not much here.

But defense is where Joga clinch it I guess, even though I am not sure if Vierchwood and Ruggeri is that complementary a partnership. Overall a really close game, but Joga's defense probably see him through.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
So far I think that Downcast's right flank can make the difference here with Kempes being basically a forward, but even then you have a great cover in Lerby
Yeah in addition to Lerby's cover, Kempes also had great work rate and could be counted on to put in a shift. Also whilst Kempes wasn't a winger in the Donadoni mould, he was most certainly capable of taking on his full-back and beating him with his unique brand of quirky footwork and explosiveness, before blasting one in - as the video below would attest. Well, he won't just be rigidly cutting from the left flank but would rather function in between the lines/flanks/central areas etc as he sees fit. With Rivera being the creative conductor of the side, Greaves being the spearhead occupying the centre-backs up top and Donadoni stretching play on the right, Kempes has the tactical freedom and the potential to reprise his match-winning impact here - more so than the Alves imo.

Dani Alves is a certainly a force to be reckoned with on the right flank but he can't over commit here with Kempes waiting to pounce upon any gaps in and around the left flank/channels, overburdening Schulz with the covering duty - leaving Greaves one on one with Bratseth. It's also key to note that both Donadoni and Kempes would offer more graft and steel off the ball than Rensenbrink and Simonsen (who were no slouches themselves) which does give our full-backs better platform to excel imo, whilst potentially asking more positional discipline from Downcast/mazhar's FBs - not that they can't venture forward of course, just a relative comparison.

By the way, Ronaldo is 3rd already and will probably replace Greaves in the next two seasons (or one really great one, which is doubtful)
Indeed, couldn't find an updated pic but yeah Greaves is top as it stands.

harms

Staff
@Joga Bonito you have to excuse me - everything in my post is exaggerated because there are no real mismatches on the field, both team are beautifully balanced throughout. But I think that the difference between Zizinho (whom I researched very closely in this draft) and Rivera - in workrate and in terms of position too - (I would expect him to drift to the right, overloading the flank that is the main Downcast's threat even without him) will prove to be decisive.

My bias also plays some role, of course, I have an incomplete gestalt towards some of the players (Zizinho and an unpicked Streltsov mostly) in this draft as I was eliminated too early and haven't got enough time to do them justice.

Voting for Downcast, even though you too have a great and evenly matched side.
2 votes + the usual MF vote for the first team :lol: Doesn't look too promising.

harms

Staff
Checked back - he voted in all knock-out games for the first team in the poll. Don't even know which smile to use here. Why bother?

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Hello :) I read now the posts and then will post

Deleted member 101472

Dani Alves the weak link for me particularly up against Bossis and with Kempes on his side. Dani Alves at his peak is going to spend an awful lot of time in the opposition half and even though Kempes arrow has him going infield, a player of Kempes intelligence is going to exploit Alves for fun.

Really well balanced teams here, often find myself lurking on these drafts thinking " What the hell were they thinking!!!!" but not the case here.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Dani Alves the weak link for me particularly up against Bossis and with Kempes on his side. Dani Alves at his peak is going to spend an awful lot of time in the opposition half and even though Kempes arrow has him going infield, a player of Kempes intelligence is going to exploit Alves for fun.

Really well balanced teams here, often find myself lurking on these drafts thinking " What the hell were they thinking!!!!" but not the case here.
I will explain later but Kempes is not a winger.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
DOWNCAST - OFFENSIVE STRATEGY - MY RIGHT-WINGER

Simonsen at his Gladbach peak under Lattek was something special -fast, skillful - could play either side of the attack and in the center. He's the only player to score in all European cup finals to this day.

For one out wide is his comfort zone as he'll get more of the ball, can dribble his way in and look for Papin or score himself.

Here's some highlights from the game against Pool in 77

He scored a wonderful goal from the left:

Great cross from the right after skinning the full back first:

Another great pass from the right side@2:30 in the video below:

full match highlights, well worth the watch

Deleted member 101472

I will explain later but Kempes is not a winger.
He's not, but There is likely to be a lot of space between Willi Schulz and Dani Alves which Kempes would exploit, particularly with the 2 CB's trying to keep Greaves quiet. You're going to want Alves to be way more defensive minded in my opinion.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
DOWNCAST - OFFENSIVE STRATEGY - MY LEFT-WINGER

If we exclude BLOKHIN or George Best, RENSENBRINK is probably the best Left-Winger of the 70s. This claim is based on the following achievements:
Netherlands

• FIFA World Cup: 1974 (Runner-up), 1978 (Runner-up)
  • UEFA European Football Championship: 1976 (Third place)
Individual performances

• Ballon d'Or: 1976 (Runner-up), 1978 (Third place)
  • FIFA World Cup Bronze Boot: 1978
  • FIFA World Cup All-Star Team : 1974, 1978
  • FIFA World Cup Most Assists: 1978
  • Onze de Bronze : 1978, 1979
  • Belgian First Division top scorers: 1972–73
  • UEFA Cup Winners' Cup top scorers: 1975–76
  • Belgian Golden Shoe: 1976
  • Onze d'Or: 1976
Rensenbrink says:"If the trajectory of my shot had been five centimetres different, we would have been world champions. On top of that, I would have been crowned top scorer and perhaps chosen as the best player of the tournament – all in the same match. That's why I keep things in perspective."

Mario Kempes
says: "If (Rob) Rensenbrink hadn’t hit the post in the Final, he would have been the top scorer."

Jan Mulder says: "Robbie Rensenbrink was as good as Cruijff, only in his mind was he not."
My priority was to build a team and make sure all my players play in their natural position and are complementary.

I don't see an offensive strategy as the sum of players with excellent statistics.

1974 WC FINAL + 1978 WC FINAL

More information and videos below: https://www.redcafe.net/threads/all-time-reserves-draft-round-of-16.416155/page-36#post-19075491

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
DOWNCAST - OFFENSIVE STRATEGY - MY STRIKER - EL PISTOLERO

Top scorers in 2015/16 : #1 SUAREZ WITH 56 GOALS (Barcelona only)

Top scorers since 2012 : #4 SUAREZ WITH 142 GOALS (Barcelona only)

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What if Rensenbrink scored against Argentina - 1978 WC? - PART I

In impossible conditions they reached the World Cup final. But even in their homeland they became second best losers

Later today, not sure about the time, it will be 33 years since Rob Rensenbrink hit the side post and Holland didn’t win the World Cup in Argentina in 1978.

What if?

Some historians believe the World Cup victory allowed the military junta to hold on to power for a couple of extra years. Which would cost the lives of a few more thousands of people. This may be highly speculative.

I imagine Rensenbrink would have re-written not only the story of 1978 but that of the World Cup of 1974 too. The trauma erased there and then. Though Holland would have probably lost it’s status as the “other” football power. The alternative. Become just another World Cup winning nation.

Rensenbrink himself would have been the first outright top scorer to lift the cup. Cruyff would have still been Holland’s greatest but Rensenbrink elevated to a legendary status. Quite rightly too. He was easily one of the top 3-4 forwards in world football back then. In no way inferior to Kempes or Dalglish. But the history of football is about history more than about football.

32 years later, when Arjen Robben was blocked by Casillas I had this strange thought. Do Robben and Sneijder really have the right to succeed where Cruyff and Rensenbrink ultimately failed? About an hour later, when the Dutch collected their losers medals – something they did not do in 1978 for political reasons – this thought had evaporated.

A few years ago I read a story how the members of the 1978 team are forgotten heroes in Argentina. Many of them have had unhappy lives. They are in the shadow of the Maradona team perceived to have won the cup for a democratic country rather than a dictatorship.

But the Dutch 1978 team are the forgotten losers. The 1974 team just complacently gave it away to a German team that won fair and square. The 1978 team overcame enormous adversity. Dealing with Cruyff’s mysterious absence. With a hostile political atmosphere particularly towards liberal Holland. And confronting the least ethical host nation campaign at least since Mussolini’s Italy.

The argentineans altered game times and referees. Engineered match throwing by a Peruvian goalkeeper. Unethically turned up late to the final. The host-friendly refereeing of 1966 or 2002 pale in contrast. A victory that should be considered hardly legitimate.

And still. That brave Dutch team have become the forgotten less glamorous losers.

They were:

Jongbloed,
Krol, Jansen (Suurbier 75), Brandts, Poortvleit
Neeskens, Haan, W. Van de Kerkhof, R. Van der Kerkhof,
Rep (Nanninga 58), Rensenbrink

Coach: Ernst Happel. An Austrian, he would have been the only foreign coach to win a world cup.

http://www.soccerissue.com/2011/06/25/what-if-rensenbrink-scored/

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
What if Rensenbrink scored against Argentina - 1978 WC? - PART II

Every sport has its 'what if?' moments, when triumph and disaster are separated by a razor's edge.

What if Jean Van de Velde hadn't chopped his third shot into the Barry Burn at Carnoustie in 1999? Or if heavy rain had not forced Niki Lauda to retire from the 1976 Japanese Grand Prix, allowing James Hunt to snatch the title? In football, the name Rob Rensenbrink immediately sparks the question in the mind of anyone over 40: what if that shot hadn't rebounded off the post?

Rensenbrink's shot at glory came in the 1978 World Cup final in Buenos Aires, as part of the Netherlands' legendary "Total Football" team. In a stadium packed with 71,000 Argentines, speckled with a few hundred Dutch supporters, substitute Dick Nanninga scored a late equaliser to cancel out Mario Kempes' early goal for the hosts. Then came Rensenbrink's moment. As the clock ticked past 90 minutes, the sweeper Ruud Krol hoisted a free-kick from the centre circle towards the edge of the six-yard box.

Rensenbrink drifted in from the left, stuck out a boot and steered the ball beyond the goalkeeper Ubaldo Fillol. The world held its breath - and the ball pinged back off the post, to be lashed away by a defender. In extra time, Kempes struck again, Daniel Bertoni added a third and the rest is history.

At his home in Oostzaan, a commuter town to the north of Amsterdam, the 67-year-old Rensenbrink is remarkably sanguine about what might have been. "Of course it's engraved in my memory," he says. "It'll be there until my dying day. It was an impossible angle, and yet it hit the post. It could just as well have gone in. It wasn't even a shot; it was a touch. I didn't have room to shoot. I just placed it. And it could just as easily have fallen to a team-mate to tuck away, but it wasn't to be. But I don't reproach myself that it didn't go in, because it wasn't a real chance."

Had Rensenbrink scored, and the Dutch held on, he, rather than Kempes, would have finished the tournament as top scorer. Remarkably, four of his five goals came from the penalty spot, including the opener in the 3-2 defeat by Scotland that enabled the Dutch to edge through on goal difference. "We were lucky in the first round against Scotland," he says. "The Scots went 3-1 up with around a quarter of an hour to play and we were worried it would be 4-1. If they scored one more goal, we'd be going home. And then Johnny Rep scored from 25 yards into the top corner."

There are other reasons to ponder what might have happened had Rensenbrink's shot gone in. The 1978 tournament was hosted by General Galtieri's murderous regime, and many observers believed the junta was determined to engineer a home win at any cost. Had the Dutch gone 2-1 ahead, would they have somehow been denied victory? Rensenbrink doesn't think so: "If that ball had gone in, there were only two minutes left; Argentina wouldn't have won," he says. "But I have my question marks: we were set to play the final against Brazil unless Argentina could beat Peru by six goals. And they did it. Something must have happened, because we only managed a 0-0 draw against Peru. They were a good team."

It wasn't the only dubious moment: the start of the final was delayed because the Italian referee objected to a wrist support that the Dutch midfielder Rene van de Kerkhof had been wearing since the opening match against Iran. The Dutch players threatened to walk off the pitch, until the officials compromised and let Van de Kerkhof back on with a different strapping. "He'd worn it throughout the tournament and then suddenly the referee comes along," says Rensenbrink. Yet he dismisses the idea that the Dutch players were unsettled by dirty tricks. "As a player you don't have that feeling; you go out on to the pitch to win and play well. It's only afterwards that you look back and think about it."

Rensenbrink also faced Argentina in the 1974 World Cup, a 4-0 demolition job that featured two goals by Johan Cruyff. "The team of '74 was the best I played in," he said. "Full of top players: Cruyff, Neeskens, Krol, Rep, Van Hanegem."

Rensenbrink came into the reckoning relatively late, mainly because he played in the Belgian league with Anderlecht. Having made his international debut against Scotland as a 20-year-old in 1968 - a 0-0 draw in Amsterdam - he went nearly four years without a cap until he caught the eye of Rinus Michels in a pre-season game against Barcelona. "It was a stroke of luck for me, because we won 2-1 and I scored. Michels was coach of Barcelona, and when he became the national team manager he called me up. All because of that one friendly match."

Rensenbrink was a prolific scorer in Belgium, his mazy dribbles earning him the nickname slangenmens, or "snake-man". He established himself as the first choice on the left wing, with Cruyff playing in the centre. "We were all good footballers," he says. "We didn't look up to each other. People compared me to Cruyff, but I was a different type of player: more technical, more of a dribbler. I never thought of myself as a lesser player than Cruyff."

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Zizinho - The Genius - The idol of Pelé

Predecessor to Pele, and some consider as great, Zizinho was the complete midfielder--possessor of great ball control, finesse, and a precise shot. Fate and timing control his story in the history of Brazilian football. He has never received the attention he deserved due to timing. Zizinho was at his career best during the 1940s, and World War II cancelled the World Cups in 1942 and 1946, so he never had the chance to show the world his skills. But his skills and talents are evidenced by these amazing statistics: 3 state league titles with Flamengo (1942-1944), starter for the 1950 World Cup team, a state title for Sao Paulo in 1957 at the ripe-old age of 35, and South American Championship appearances in 1942, 1945, 1946, 1949, 1953, and 1957. He scored 31 goals in 54 appearances.

World Cup MVP: 1950
World Cup All-Star team : 1950
Copa America Winner: 1949
Copa America Top Scorer of All-Time: 17 goals

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Opposing team - The curious positioning of Kempes

WC FINAL 1978

1980_European_Cup_Winners'_Cup_Final

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Willi Schulz - THE MAN WHO COMMANDS THE BLUE DEFENCE

Full name
Wilhelm Schulz
Date of birth 4 October 1938 (age 77)
Place of birth Bochum, Germany
Height 1.81 m (5 ft 111⁄2 in)
Playing position Centre Back, Sweeper

Senior career*
Years
Team Apps† (Gls)†
1960–1965
FC Schalke 04 134 (8)
1965–1973 Hamburger SV 211 (3)
Total
345 (11)

National team

1959–1960 West Germany Amateur 8 (0)
1959–1970 West Germany 66 (0)

† Appearances (goals)
Willi Schulz (born 4 October 1938 in Bochum, Germany) is a former German international footballer.

Career
Schulz played his first of altogether 66 games for West Germany in 1959 at a time when he was still an amateur for lower league club Union Günnigfeld. In 1960 he joined FC Schalke 04, spending the first three years in the Oberliga West, and in 1963 the Bundesliga was officially created. In 1965 he changed outfit joining Hamburger SV.

Schulz started out as a right half back in the late 1950s. With the change from the WM system to the 4–2–4, Schulz was converted from half back to stopper by the mid-1960s. During the 1966 World Cup, Schulz acted as the sweeper of the West German national team, a role he had taken over from Klaus-Dieter Sieloff only shortly before the tournament. At that tournament, Schulz was rated as one of the best defenders. During the next four years, Schulz remained the standard sweeper of West Germany. During this time, Schulz was acknowledged as one of the best central defenders in global football. In November 1968, he was part of the FIFA XI that faced Brazil in Rio de Janeiro.

Schulz would have been the standard sweeper of West Germany during the 1970 World Cup, but an injury of the meniscus as well as a calf bruise meant that he only started in two of the six World Cup games in Mexico.[3] In his place, Karl-Heinz Schnellinger played as sweeper. After the 1970 World Cup, Schulz retired from international activities. He continued to play for Hamburger SV until 1973.

Playing style

Being a conservative sweeper with no urge to join the attack of his teams, Schulz focused on marshalling his defense. He was noted for his calmness even under pressure, his positional play, his strength at man-to-man duels, his solid passing game, aerial ability and a special expertise at sliding tackling. For these traits as well as his consistency at the top level, Schulz was revered by West German national team coach Helmut Schön, who preferred Schulz at the sweeper position to the younger and more adventurous Franz Beckenbauer, who had to play in midfield instead.

Career after football
After his retirement, Schulz established an insurance agency in Hamburg and also engaged in the slot machine business.[2] During the 1970s and 1980s, Schulz was also known for his critical sport columns for Hamburg newspapers. After the 1982 FIFA World Cup match between West Germany and Austria, in which the two sides colluded to allow West Germany to win 1–0 enabling both sides to progress at the expense of Algeria, Schulz famously called the West German players "gangsters".[4]

Honours

• 1966 FIFA World Cup runner-up
  • 1970 FIFA World Cup 3rd place
  • UEFA Cup Winners' Cup finalist: 1967–68
  • DFB-Pokal finalist: 1966–67

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
SCHUMACHER KNOWS HOW TO STOP THE ENEMY WITHOUT GETTING A YELLOW OR RED CARD

Victory of Schumacher againt France - WC 1982

harms

Staff
SCHUMACHER KNOWS HOW TO STOP THE ENEMY WITHOUT GETTING A YELLOW OR RED CARD
Well, that's one way of pointing out that your keeper is a cnut :lol:
One in the goal, one upfront - great theme!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Hmmm. Since I'm drunk, and since I'm strangely aware of this fact (a sort of self-awareness, I suppose you could call it), I won't make certain comments.

The thing I'm mainly interested in is Balu's take on Dietz. More or less straight-ass left back in this set-up, as it would seem.

I know far too little of his club career to comment, I'm only familiar with him as a Euro player, to be honest.

He played in the middle for West Germany back in '80, no? I seem to recall a sweeperish/liberoish setup with wingbacks (sort of). Not entirely unlike what they sported later on.

Anyway - @Balu, this is your neck of the woods.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Also, Schumacher is funky but he obviously isn't significantly better than VDS. Probably not better at all, to be fair.

I think both CB pairs are "interesting" in the sense that they aren't beyond question. And they're both standing (moving about, hopefully) in front of brilliant keepers. But for my money Tiger/Joga gets that one (the CBs + keeper combo, that is).

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Anyway - @Balu, this is your neck of the woods.
Dietz started his career as an attacking leftback and played there for many seasons, no worries about his position here. I'd actually prefer him slighty as leftback over his older centerback/sweeper version.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
@Joga Bonito you have to excuse me - everything in my post is exaggerated because there are no real mismatches on the field, both team are beautifully balanced throughout. But I think that the difference between Zizinho (whom I researched very closely in this draft) and Rivera - in workrate and in terms of position too - (I would expect him to drift to the right, overloading the flank that is the main Downcast's threat even without him) will prove to be decisive.

My bias also plays some role, of course, I have an incomplete gestalt towards some of the players (Zizinho and an unpicked Streltsov mostly) in this draft as I was eliminated too early and haven't got enough time to do them justice.

Voting for Downcast, even though you too have a great and evenly matched side.
2 votes + the usual MF vote for the first team :lol: Doesn't look too promising.
Fair enough. Also I've seen quite a few mentions of Rivera vs Zizinho as individuals, with a focus on their work rates. Of course, Zizinho had better work rate and was an excellent all-round player, but people forget to mention the playmaking edge that Rivera has on him, and imo I'd rate Rivera as the better all-round package overall (not much between them and it's subjective) and as the best #10 of this entire draft. I'd also say squaring up against Stielike might just be a tad bit harder than squaring up with Cajkovski, who was a fine defensive midfielder himself. Also with regards to Zizinho overloading the right flank, I think Lerby is perfectly suited in dealing with that, like you've already stated. Either way, it's a close match and I can perfectly understand voters voting for downcast/mazhar.

He's not, but There is likely to be a lot of space between Willi Schulz and Dani Alves which Kempes would exploit, particularly with the 2 CB's trying to keep Greaves quiet. You're going to want Alves to be way more defensive minded in my opinion.
Yeah, precisely what I've stated in my other post. Kempes was a forward first and foremost, but he was capable of exploiting the areas between the flanks and channels to deadly effect and also well versed in the art of taking on his full-back on and beating him (not 'exclusively' his game but definitely a part of it), before cutting in. Like you said, a more positionally astute and balanced RB or a defensive RCB could have been preferable in dealing with Kempes. Schulz was a cracking defender and one of my favourites. I'd actually back him to do a good job on Greaves with his reading of the game for instance but he doesn't have the dynamism and is not the 'covering' sort ala Kohler/Forster who can do a good job covering the channels for their full-backs, which is what Alves would be expecting plenty from Schulz when he ventures forward.

Last edited: