Reserves to move to Northwich??

PS18

heard this earlier from someone who knows his stuff and has no reason to lie - says our reserve games will be moved from Hyde to Northwich Victoria's ground. anyone heard anything about this?

going to hold fire until i get confirmation, but if it's true then it's an atrocious decision. suspect it'll be impossible to get back from Northwich to Manchester after games, and attendances (which are poor enough already these days) will plummet.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
heard this earlier from someone who knows his stuff and has no reason to lie - says our reserve games will be moved from Hyde to Northwich Victoria's ground. anyone heard anything about this?

going to hold fire until i get confirmation, but if it's true then it's an atrocious decision. suspect it'll be impossible to get back from Northwich to Manchester after games, and attendances (which are poor enough already these days) will plummet.
Well, I heard from a guy who works at Hyde that they haven't renegotiated using Ewen Fields yet,so I guess it could be true.

If so,that's the end of my Reserves jaunts as I don't drive and my husband doesn't always finish work early enough..

Tribec

I was speaking to someone at the last game at Hyde, and they were saying that someone who worked at Hyde had mentioned that they were moving the reserves.

Northwich Vic's though is a hell of a trek, when there are plenty of places they could play a bit closer to home.

PS18

i've heard it suggested that moving it so far away might be a deliberate attempt to try and avoid the anti-glazer protests that we've seen every so often at Hyde. wouldn't put it past the club frankly.

if only they'd shift it back to Alty :(

PS18

just checked train times, seems that there might be a train back to Manchester at half 9 so assuming the stadium isn't miles away from the station it's doable i guess. still can't say i'd be happy about a nearly two-hour round-trip.

westlife4ever

NORTHWICH Victoria are to stage Manchester United’s reserve team home games next season in a deal worth up to £40,000 to the Nationwide Conference club.

Northwich Chief Executive Liz Wolstenholme says United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was so impressed with the New Victoria Stadium when they formally opened the ground in November they immediately opened negotiations to stage up to 15 games there, plus early round home ties in the FA Youth Cup in addition to ‘closed doors’ trial games.

Wolstenholme said: “This is a great opportunity for Northwich’s fans and everyone is looking forward to welcoming United to their new home in 2007-08.”

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
NORTHWICH Victoria are to stage Manchester United’s reserve team home games next season in a deal worth up to £40,000 to the Nationwide Conference club.

Northwich Chief Executive Liz Wolstenholme says United manager Sir Alex Ferguson was so impressed with the New Victoria Stadium when they formally opened the ground in November they immediately opened negotiations to stage up to 15 games there, plus early round home ties in the FA Youth Cup in addition to ‘closed doors’ trial games.

Wolstenholme said: “This is a great opportunity for Northwich’s fans and everyone is looking forward to welcoming United to their new home in 2007-08.”
I'm not.
I wanted them to stay at Hyde. :(

How the feck do I get to Northwich.........??

Tribec

Do you think we could ask the club to provide buses down to Northwich? Free of charge of course, as this is the reserve team.

Chances are 0, but it would be an idea.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
Do you think we could ask the club to provide buses down to Northwich? Free of charge of course, as this is the reserve team.

That's a great idea!

Dear Sir Alex,
Tribec and I are not going to be able to get to the Reserves matches anymore as they are moving to Northwich's Victoria Ground.
Please could you arrange a lift for us, there and back ,from Hyde's Ewen Fields Ground..

Yours Faithfully,

M.U.M.

M160RA

Would be a great idea, although I can't see it happening. Sorry, MUM :(

Maybe you could carpool your way to Northwich.

PS18

17:24 from Piccadilly to Northwich gets in at 18:17
17:53 from Piccadilly to Northwich gets in at 18:45

21:29 from Northwich to Piccadilly gets in at 22:25
23:15 from Northwich to Piccadilly gets in at 00:12

from what i've heard it's a fair old trek from the station to the stadium, so without the use of a cab the second train there is a no-go - tricky for people who work. might even make it tricky to make the only reasonably timed train back to Mcr.

wonder if MUST might run a bus there like they have to Hyde this season? would imagine there'd be greater demand with limited alternative options.

B Cantona

Desperate
I don't understand what was wrong with Moss Lane? I planned to go to a few games before they moved the games to Hyde, which was much harder for me to get to, and now Northwich, which might as well be in bloody London for all the use that is :(

Tribec

I don't understand what was wrong with Moss Lane? I planned to go to a few games before they moved the games to Hyde, which was much harder for me to get to, and now Northwich, which might as well be in bloody London for all the use that is :(
I think Altrincham and the reserves for that matter commented on the state of the pitch at Moss Lane. In a similar way that Bury asked us to leave due to the Gigg Lane pitch's condition, so did Alty.

I agree that Northwich is a trek (can I do it in an hour or so?) and one that I'll find increasingly difficult to make, but I'll give it a go. However I do hope that the club see's sense in this move and start to issue information out to the local press with regards the game. Hyde isn't too bad, but going down to Northwich to find the game called off or moved is a bit too much.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
I definitely won't be going to anymore Reserve home games...
They are so far away,it feels like an away fixture.
I suppose it give other Manchester United fans who live that way a chance to see them .

I shall miss being freezing cold and unable to feel my feet though....
:(

B Cantona

Desperate
I think Altrincham and the reserves for that matter commented on the state of the pitch at Moss Lane. In a similar way that Bury asked us to leave due to the Gigg Lane pitch's condition, so did Alty.

I agree that Northwich is a trek (can I do it in an hour or so?) and one that I'll find increasingly difficult to make, but I'll give it a go. However I do hope that the club see's sense in this move and start to issue information out to the local press with regards the game. Hyde isn't too bad, but going down to Northwich to find the game called off or moved is a bit too much.
How come Bury house FCUM these days then?

Rochdale have to share with the Hornets rugby league side. Now that fecks your pitch up! They managed to get the supporters to club together at the start of last season to pay for it to be returfed

Uzi

Why move them anyway? what's wrong with Manchester?

Tribec

How come Bury house FCUM these days then?
Bury wanted United to stay, but they had a contract with Swinton to play rugby there for a while, and the pitch was in a state. It was easier for United to move the reserves as there contract was up for renewal. When the Swinton contract finished, Bury raised the rental cost significantly high enough, so the Lions couldn't afford to play there and they moved. This of course allowed FC to look at Gigg Lane when looking for a ground to share.

The advent of summer rugby has helped the groundsman's job as such for those in RL area's as it's not as damaging to the pitch as it used to be, but it does still effect the pitches. All you have to do is listen to the United players or press complain about Old Trafford after the Grand Final, if it's been wet and the pitch cut up.