Reserves v Blackburn

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
You got to love the divide of opinions. One says Tosic was great, the other the total opposite.. What did he not do well Pogue in your opinion?
Were his corners any good, I read that he set up a goal from a corner.
I just think he kept on choosing the wrong option.

I think he was almost trying too hard to impress and ended up trying to repeatedly dribble through the entire opposition team, usually ending up in conceding cheap possession.

He's definitely got talent and he's getting better as the season goes on but he's still not quite there yet. He really needs to up his game if he wants to establish himself in the first team.

vuc

First Team Serb
I just think he kept on choosing the wrong option.

I think he was almost trying too hard to impress and ended up trying to repeatedly dribble through the entire opposition team, usually ending up in conceding cheap possession.

He's definitely got talent and he's getting better as the season goes on but he's still not quite there yet. He really needs to up his game if he wants to establish himself in the first team.
I see thanks.

I think that losing possession is a common thing for a player to do when trying to impress. What were his set-pieces like?

Mitch Conor

Holy CRAP BALLS!!
He took a few decent corners, a couple not so good.

Eikrem took all the direct free-kicks IIRC.
Tosic took at least one direct free kick - hit it low and it bounced just before the keeper, who almost spilled it. Was a poor effort though really.

SecondFig

Full match report from the excellent United Youth blog, interestingly the author named Tosic as man of the match:

Manchester United Reserves 3-0 Blackburn Rovers Reserves
Eikrem 18
Brandy 80
Tošić 90+1​

Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s Reserves kept up their 100% home record and moved back to the summit of the Premier Reserve League North this evening by defeating their Blackburn Rovers counterparts 3-0 at Moss Lane.

United were good value for the win, but were made to wait until the final ten minutes of the game to clinch all three points and give the scoreline some gloss. Magnus Eikrem’s superb 18th minute freekick had given the Reds an early lead, but despite proceeding to dominate the remainder of the match, it wasn’t until Febian Brandy rose highest to head home a Zoran Tošić corner on 80 minutes that the points were made safe. Tošić then rounded things off nicely with a well-struck effort from 20 yards inside injury time.

With the likes of Danny Welbeck, Kiko Macheda and the da Silva twins having been part of the first-team squad that headed to Russia this week, Solskjaer’s side almost picked itself. Gabriel Obertan continued his comeback from the spinal injury that has hampered his first few months at United, while Ritchie de Laet and Zoran Tosic returned to the team after missing the win over Oldham due to international duty. Elsewhere, there was a first start of the season for Reece Brown at right-back, while the Norwegian duo of Joshua King and Magnus Eikrem returned to the starting lineup after being restricted to cameo roles against the Latics last time out. One member of the Moscow travelling party, Corry Evans, did take up a place on the bench.

Despite fielding a relatively young side featuring a number of regular U18s (including former Reds schoolboy Michael Potts), Blackburn settled the quicker and made most of the early running, albeit without ever really giving Ben Amos too much cause for alarm. Potts and Julio Santa Cruz, younger brother of former Rovers (and current City) striker Roque, were prominent in the early stages as United struggled to get their usual quick passing game going and were guilty of surrendering possession far too often for Solskjaer and Warren Joyce’s liking.

Happily, and almost as if a switch had been flicked, that all changed with one moment of magic just before the twenty minute mark, and there was a real sense of deja vu about that magic moment. When King was fouled roughly 25 yards out and to the left of centre, facing the open terrace United typically attack in the first half at Moss Lane, minds were cast back to the last home league game against Sunderland where Eikrem had curled home a peach of a freekick from practically the same blade of grass.

Presumably the level of scouting done on the opposition at reserve level isn’t quite the same as it is with senior football, as Rovers’ goalkeeper Kean could only watch despairingly as Magnus found practically the same patch of netting as well, just inside the near post with unerring accuracy. In fairness, even if Kean had known what was coming he’d have struggled to get near it. This is starting to become something of a pleasing habit for the youngster from Molde.

As said, that goal completely changed the pattern of the game. All of a sudden United were first to every loose ball and looked dangerous every time they went forward, while the heads of those in the blue and white halved shirts seemed to drop somewhat. King was narrowly off target with a great chance after being played in by Obertan, before Eikrem, Hewson and Tošić all went tantalisingly close with great efforts from just outside the box. It was one-way traffic all the way until half-time, and how the score was only 1-0 as the players headed down the tunnel for a breather was something of a mystery.

Evans replaced Hewson at the break, but otherwise it was very much a case of more of the same in the second half. The Northern Irish substitute was the first to go close with a glancing header that shaved the far post on its way wide, before Matt James and Tošić again followed suit with decent efforts from range. When Obertan’s fierce effort cannoned away off the post after a wonderful jinking run from the back by de Laet, frustration must have started to creep in at the inability to kill the game off.

Perhaps sensing this, or maybe just wanting to try something a bit different, Ole used his remaining two changes as the game moved into the final twenty minutes, first introducing Febian Brandy in place of King (who had worked hard with little reward) before then replacing Eikrem with Ollie Norwood shortly after. Brandy looked an immediate threat and, with ten minutes to go, made exactly the impact his manager wanted, although I doubt OGS would have realistically expected the diminutive Brandy to score in quite the way he did, leaping highest at the near post to power Tošić’s corner past Kean. Very well-taken by Febian, but when the smallest player on the park is scoring in the manner, questions probably have to be asked about the marking.

The boys in red didn’t care of course, and were able to play out the remaining ten minutes in comfort and with freedom. Indeed, from probably still thinking they were in the game at just 1-0 down, the visitors suddenly looked in real danger of being absolutely routed in the closing stages. Kean pulled off a terrific point-blank stop to deny Evans what looked like a certain goal after Tošić had cleverly pulled back Obertan’s low cross-shot, but as the game entered the three minutes allocated for stoppages, the young Rovers keeper was beaten for a third time, left helpless as United’s Serbian winger – an impressive performer in the second half especially – latched onto a loose ball 25 yards out and rifled a sweet left-footed strike into the corner of the net.

Five wins from six then, and with a goal difference sufficient to see the Reds top the table above fierce rivals Liverpool, who will be the next visitors to Moss Lane in a week’s time as the Lancashire Senior Cup gets underway once more with United looking to win the trophy for a third successive year. The next league action comes the following Tuesday in the form of a trip across town to Eastlands for the first reserve derby of the campaign.

Star Man: Zoran Tošić – frustrated at times in the first half with his tendency to over-elaborate but was a threat all night, switching between the left and right flank to great effect and causing all manner of problems with some terrific set-piece deliveries.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Full match report from the excellent United Youth blog, interestingly the author named Tosic as man of the match:
Wouldn't have been my pick but it was a game where nobody particularly excelled so I definitely wouldn't argue the toss over it.

Obertan looked really classy at times but - understandably - looked a bit laboured at times too.

The only other candidate for MOTM I could think of would be De Laet, who was solid at the back and made a couple of lovely runs forward.

vuc

First Team Serb
Star Man: Zoran Tošić – frustrated at times in the first half with his tendency to over-elaborate but was a threat all night, switching between the left and right flank to great effect and causing all manner of problems with some terrific set-piece deliveries.
Seems to be what Pogue was saying. Great stuff from Zoki, hopefully he gets his shot in the first team soon.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
That Eikrem freekick was almost identical to his goal against Sunderland. It's amazing how cleanly he can strike a football.

prateik

[**YOUTUBE]as4Xlnv9N4Q[/media]
without the **

copy the bit after "v=" and put it in the youtube codes

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
if people get a chance to watch the game, people should just trust their own judgement rather then ask as we all see different things

highlights aren't really enough - great freekick by eikrem mind.

PS18

Wouldn't have been my pick but it was a game where nobody particularly excelled so I definitely wouldn't argue the toss over it.

Obertan looked really classy at times but - understandably - looked a bit laboured at times too.

The only other candidate for MOTM I could think of would be De Laet, who was solid at the back and made a couple of lovely runs forward.
Considered de Laet (and Gill as well to be honest) but he had so little to defensively after the first ten minutes or so that I didn't think a couple of surges forward really justified it.

Would agree no-one really stood out and it was a tough choice to pick a MOTM but Tosic improved a load in the second half so he just shaded it for me. Could have been any one of about half a dozen solid performances though.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Are we all allowed to get ridiculously excited about Eikrem yet? :D

In all seriousness, though it wasn't his best game, we've got one hell of a player there. He's a testament to the quality of the United coaching staff. Must say, I never really thought he'd make it here, but the likes of Gibson ought to be getting a bit worried about Eikrem now on this season's evidence.

RedPhil1957

Are we all allowed to get ridiculously excited about Eikrem yet? :D

In all seriousness, though it wasn't his best game, we've got one hell of a player there. He's a testament to the quality of the United coaching staff. Must say, I never really thought he'd make it here, but the likes of Gibson ought to be getting a bit worried about Eikrem now on this season's evidence.

There really is a lot of quality in Uniteds youngsters, just watched Cleverley have yet another good game for Watford and Brandy for all his lack of size always seems to make and score goals.

Laphroaig

I think for me a problem with Tosic is that he is a few years older than his team mates and has more appearances for the first team, so I expect that bit more from him. To be fair Macheda and Welbeck (perhaps similarily experienced although significantly younger) don't always stand out in their games for the reserves, but you can always see glimpses of special talent there. I feel this is also true of Obertan, King, Eikrem and James. Tosic less so. But I hope he's just needed time to find his footing in England, and will eventually come good. However, with so many young wingers in our squad at the moment, I can see him struggling to get a decent shot with the first team.

cj_sparky

I think for me a problem with Tosic is that he is a few years older than his team mates and has more appearances for the first team, so I expect that bit more from him. To be fair Macheda and Welbeck (perhaps similarily experienced although significantly younger) don't always stand out in their games for the reserves, but you can always see glimpses of special talent there. I feel this is also true of Obertan, King, Eikrem and James. Tosic less so. But I hope he's just needed time to find his footing in England, and will eventually come good. However, with so many young wingers in our squad at the moment, I can see him struggling to get a decent shot with the first team.
Yep people seem to forget that Tosic has been capped 16 times by Serbia, as well as appearing for the Partizan 1st team for 2 seasons prior to joinging us. I've expected a lot more from Tosic than what I have seen in the Reserve matches.

Striker10

That's misleading though. He is only a few years older yes, however, has more appearences for the first team? uniteds? He's barely played 90 mins competitive action if that......

We've seen berbatov struggle, valencia initially with expectation. There are plenty more who have even more experience then Tosic.

His form for Serbia irrespective of lack of action - is fine and his form for Partizan was what it was. I've no idea. However, the fact people dismiss the fact he might be lacking 'confidence' is silly because it can't be easy for him.

He won't be confident playing for United reserves. He didn't sign to play reserve football and when you have to bide your time it can be character building. We're in world cup year, the lads playing reserve football...who the bleep would not stuggle knowing that?

However, playing for our reserves is like playing for our first team - in that the quality and standard is very high. I also just think the reserves are 'better' then some people give them credit for.

I think it's an outstanding group at the minute

It's perplexing but we'll see. At the end of the day I like Obertan but Tosic had an assist and a goal and nearly scored the goal of the game - but some people are perhaps biased or expect superman.

Obertans performance showed promise. It was far from perfect but I see few pointing that out.

Laphroaig

Obertan is just back from an injury. You're not looking for perfect matches from him, but for potential.

I don't understand why you feel the need to call people biased if they haven't been too impressed by Tosic so far.

Striker10

Obertan is just back from an injury. You're not looking for perfect matches from him, but for potential.

I don't understand why you feel the need to call people biased if they haven't been too impressed by Tosic so far.
yes he is just back from injury, however people are still analysing his performance and that's natural. No ones saying, it's too soon to analyse him sorry

Biased is perhaps the wrong idea. We do look for different things. There is a natural bias in that people from norway are clearly going to be more excited about king, eikrem etc

But I think it's very harsh on Tosic. I think sometimes people fail to see things because they've already written them off. It maybe wrong, but that's why I say people should see the game and then judge for themselves.

We all have hopes for players, it is strange how people access performances. If you judge Tosic your not judging a typcial winger. Our full backs mainly provide the width

There is always a suspision when defending a player. I was called Dongs father :) but while you say obertans just returned from injury and that's true....Tosic hasn't even completed a 90 minute game for United. It's still early doors for him too

In my opinion he was lively but what's sad is people accept peoples opinion over others rather then checking the game out for themselves and drawing their own thoughts

Tosic is still the outsider, he's still the serbian trying to be 'accepted' - most of these kids have played with each other for years... Just because he's older, it's not like they look up to Tosic...

When you have a run from near halfway line and blaze just wide, when you assist and when you score?I must have missed the countless passes he gave away? For me that's a good game but what i'd also say is the reserves is not for everyone

You could argue he'd feel more comfortable in the first team because he has vidic on the pitch. It's just very complicated to analyse players performances and we all see and recognize different things

Laphroaig

Fair enough. But remember he had an entire preseason with the first team. He was actually pretty good in the preseason, and that probably made me expect to see him impress more for the reserves. So his performances and experience there, as well as his age, have probably made me want something a bit more special from him in the reserves. Saying that, I don't watch every reserves game, and when I do it's on streams.

And I don't think bias for footballers of the same nationality as yourself is 'natural'. I'm Norwegian and OGS was never one of my favorites at the club, I didn't expect Nevland to make it here, and I've never been bothered about the national team. I know many like me. King and Eikrem do look exciting though, as so many others in our brilliant reserves right now.

Striker10

Fair enough. But remember he had an entire preseason with the first team. He was actually pretty good in the preseason, and that probably made me expect to see him impress more for the reserves. So his performances and experience there, as well as his age, have probably made me want something a bit more special from him in the reserves. Saying that, I don't watch every reserves game, and when I do it's on streams.

And I don't think bias for footballers of the same nationality as yourself is 'natural'. I'm Norwegian and OGS was never one of my favorites at the club, I didn't expect Nevland to make it here, and I've never been bothered about the national team. I know many like me. King and Eikrem do look exciting though, as so many others in our brilliant reserves right now.
Sure the entire pre season but he completed 90 minutes at best during that (which is therefore misleading) in which time Sir Alex said in an interview that Tosic needed to stengthen up and pre seasons only really about fitness.

The experience with partizan don't really matter. Evra was at monoco and vidic at ..was it spartak? Struggled for a few months..but they got picked..so they could play through it

Even if Tosic did well in the end, in the reserves last season...he won't have the confidence of the fans as they will still point out it wasn't in the first team and therefore people rely on opinions if they don't watch the reserves themselves.

As for his experience with Serbia, his performances have been good but it's only 14 or so caps and he's playing with compatriots which is easier for him.

It's very difficult to access performances and I think what gets overlooked is confidence/intigration.

Let's take freekicks for example. Tosic barely takes them. Why? Cause we've eikrem, norwood...I mean we've a few set piece specalists

So that cuts off one arm of his game.

Therefore he's just another youngster playing in a very talented squad.

I was not automatically referrring to you with the norwegian bias btw :) it was just a massive coincidence

Eriku

I'm Norwegian and OGS was never one of my favorites at the club, I didn't expect Nevland to make it here, and I've never been bothered about the national team. I know many like me. King and Eikrem do look exciting though, as so many others in our brilliant reserves right now.
:eek:

Laphroaig

You see I was a huge Andy Cole fan and was pissed off at how the Noggie media portayed the two. Cole misses chances while OGS is world class and ought to have his place. But I did change my mind, so "never" was a bit wrong, I warmed to him immensely later on. I now hope he'll be our future manager.

Eriku

Phew, good to see a redeeming sentence tagged on at the end there ;)

That said, Noggy media is cringe-worthy when it comes to their coverage of footballers abroad :S