Reserves v Sunderland (h)

SecondFig

Thought they were a lot better in the last 20 or so minutes, and was really pleased with how involved Petrucci was during his cameo.

But Obertan was particularly disappointing, wasting the ball almost every time he got it.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Thought they were a lot better in the last 20 or so minutes, and was really pleased with how involved Petrucci was during his cameo.

But Obertan was particularly disappointing, wasting the ball almost every time he got it.
With 2 very significant exceptions.

The big positive tonight was Petrucci, who, while he still has a long way to go, looked much better than he has in his first 2 cameos since coming back. Very encouraging to see him fearlessly dive in to that 50/50 with the goalie.

Red Defence

“United stands for attacking, attractive football
Res: United 2 S'land 2

17/03/2011 20:56, Report by Steve Bartram

Bebe (16), King (79)

United and Sunderland fought out an entertaining draw at Moss Lane, as Bebe opened the scoring with a superb finish before the visitors overturned the scoreline with goals in each half, only for Joshua King to salvage a late point for the Reds.

Warren Joyce’s side were offered a stern examination by the energetic young visitors, but a point was the least United deserved for bossing the second half, and only sterling work from Black Cats goalkeeper Ben Wilson denied Ravel Morrison a late winner.

United should have gone ahead within 30 seconds as Ryan Tunnicliffe released King with a measured lob but, after twice shimmying past defenders, the Norwegian striker blazed his finish over the bar.

With the tone set for a lively first half, Sunderland took just four minutes to spurn a clear chance of their own, as Craig Lynch scuffed a shot past Conor Devlin’s far post after a fortunate ricochet.

Lynch hit the target with his next effort, but could only curl tamely into Devlin’s midriff from another inviting position. Within long, his pair of misses would prove costly as United moved into the lead.

Bebe played in Gabriel Obertan behind the Sunderland defence and, when the Frenchman pulled the ball back to the edge of the area, the Portuguese winger steered an unerring finish into the far corner to put the hosts ahead in style.
Sunderland took just six minutes to level, however, in comparatively unspectacular fashion. A right-wing free-kick was only partially cleared, and in the ensuing passage of play Louis Laing’s volley was cruelly deflected past Devlin by the helpless Scott Wootton.

The equaliser injected confidence into the visitors’ performance, and they dictated play in the following exchanges without forging any clear openings. On the counter, Obertan broke at speed before hammering a shot over from just inside the area, while Bebe dragged another effort wide of the far post.

The game’s equilibrium was restored during the remainder of the first period, but it was United who bossed the opening to the second half. Morrison followed up some neat trickery by firing into the side netting, while Norwood smashed a shot out of the ground when he might well have found the target from the edge of the area.

Against the run of play, however, Sunderland took the lead for the first time. Hesitant defending from United allowed Jordan Cook to release Billy Knott with a gentle flick, and the midfielder hammered a first-time shot past the exposed Devlin from just inside the area.

Having moved ahead, the vibrant young visitors were lifted once more, and finding a route back into the game would be no easy feat for Warren Joyce’s side. Obertan dwelled too long before having a shot blocked in a rare opening, but United’s closest flirtation with an equaliser came when goalkeeper Wilson denied two substitutes in quick succession.

The visiting stopper did well to parry Davide Petrucci’s thunderbolt around the post, and then excelled himself by turning Paul Pogba’s deflected curler past the same upright. That double save prompted a sustained spell of United pressure which culminated in a routine equaliser as Obertan flicked on Norwood’s corner, and King nodded home from close range.

Sniffing blood, United poured forward in numbers. Morrison slalomed through a packed penalty area but Wilson was swiftly off his line to clutch the midfielder’s shot, then the goalkeeper spilled another Morrison effort, only for Petrucci to slide the rebound wide under heavy pressure.

Time ran out before United could make the late momentum count, but a point apiece was ultimately a fair finish to an engaging, high-octane game.

United: Devlin; R Brown (Petrucci 62), Wootton, Gill, Vermijl; Norwood, Tunnicliffe, Morrison; Bebe (Pogba 62), Obertan, King.
Subs not used: Johnstone, Thorpe.

Manchester United Official Web Site - Res: United 2 S'land 2
Match Report.

RedPhil1957

really enjoyed the match, draw was probably about right result. Sunderland really up for it and worked very hard, something United players have to contend with whatever level they play. As usual we had a very strong last 1/4 when they inevitably tired.

Some very poor defending by us at times with Gill by far the best defender, Brown (as usual)easily the worst.

Norwood does hit some great long passes but tries too many.

Oberton and Bebe are always the same mix sometimes looking complete crap then doing something pretty good. Oberton looked much better down the left.

Petrucci did well, hopefully he will enjoy the rest of season injury free.

ANWAR

Our midfield at the end was a ''reserves muppet's'' wet dream; Petrucci, Morrison, Pogba, Tunnicliffe :drool:

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
He smacks the ball fecking hard. He has something, but needs a lot of training up. The fee does look a bit daft.

I'm really encouraged to hear about another good cameo from Petrucci.

SecondFig

He smacks the ball fecking hard. He has something, but needs a lot of training up. The fee does look a bit daft.

I'm really encouraged to hear about another good cameo from Petrucci.
That's my only real complaint with Bebe, he's very raw, but he looks promising and clearly hasn't had a lot of professional training where normal players have - so I don't mind him being raw and inconsistent. The fee is the only real reason to criticise him, and that is, after all, hardly his fault.

But Obertan is far more annoying, he's not come on at all since he joined us, but clearly had a lot of talent. He's like all of Nani's worst traits from a few years ago only even more inconsistent...

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Bebe's got quite a bit of talent I tells yah. He's gifted when he knows what he's doing with the ball.

Big question mark for me is whether he has it mentally. First couple of times he was in the first team he was always offering for the ball and taking on defenders. Last few times he's been a lot more timid.

Brophs

The One and Only
Bebe's got quite a bit of talent I tells yah. He's gifted when he knows what he's doing with the ball.

Big question mark for me is whether he has it mentally. First couple of times he was in the first team he was always offering for the ball and taking on defenders. Last few times he's been a lot more timid.
He's never faced anything like the scrutiny he would have after the few bad games he had. Another season of toughening him up along with him learning English and developing the self-belief that they'll try to engender in him at the club, and I'm confident he'll look a different player.

People slag his technique - and with some justification - but players like Rooney and Carrick can look less than ordinary when their confidence is low, so imagine how it must be for a lad like Bebe who is starting from such a low base in terms of footballing experience and game management. I have a sneaky feeling there's a real player in there.