Reserves vs Everton

PS18

final home reserve game of the season (barring the MSC final presumably), couldn't go unfortunately. team below from the official site:

Reserves: United v Everton

Brian McClair is largely sticking with a winning team for tonight's home reserve league match against Everton.

United's starting eleven shows only two outfield changes from the side which beat Oldham 2-0 in Monday afternoon's Senior Cup tie. Midfielders Chris Eagles and Corry Evans, brother of central defender Jonny, are selected in place of Aaron Burns and Chris Fagan.

The only other amendment sees Tom Heaton return in goal after his stint as a first-team substitute. German keeper Ron-Robert Zieler is therefore on the bench with Burns, Fagan, Jimmy Derbyshire and Antonio Bryan.

United v Everton kicks off at Ewen Fields, Hyde, at 19:00 GMT. Live coverage on MUTV starts 30 minutes earlier.

United: Heaton; R.Eckersley, Chester, Lea, Lee; Mullan, Drinkwater, C.Evans, Barnes; Eagles, Brandy. Subs: Burns, Zieler, Fagan, Derbyshire, Bryan.
anyone know the score? the official site has it as 1-0 on the front-page but no match report or final score in the actual story so i don't know if that's an error or they're in the process of updating it.

PS18

1-0 it was:

Reserves: United 1 Everton 0

United returned to winning ways in the Premiership Reserve League with an accomplished 1-0 victory over Everton.

Substitute Chris Fagan ensured the Reds' second-half dominance yielded maximum points with his strike nine minutes from time. It was the youth team forward's first goal at this level, and the reserves' first win in three league games after back-to-back defeats.

Everton goalkeeper Richard Wright demonstrated his experience to make early saves in one-on-one situations with Sean Evans and Chris Eagles.

Eagles almost gifted the visitors a goal at the other end when he lost possession after initially intercepting Everton’s first corner in the 13th minute. But fortunately for United, Stephen Connor could only strike his shot across goal. Former Arsenal youth player Kieran Agard was also off-target with two good opportunities.

When Everton right-winger Connor beat Reds left-back Kieran Lee and pulled the ball back via John Paul Kissock, Bjarni Vidarsson forced a great save from Tom Heaton. The creative Kissock was on the end of a neat move in the 40th minute, striking a low shot just wide of Heaton’s left-hand post.

If the more experienced Everton side had more of the possession and chances in the first half, it was to the credit of Brian McClair and Jim Ryan’s young players, in particular the centre-half pairing of James Chester and Michael Lea, that the period ended goalless.

The Reds reshuffled at the break to send Eagles further forward in support of Fabian Brandy, bring Kieran Lee into midfield and move Evans to left-back. The changes saw United grow in stature as an attacking force, especially down the flanks with the likes of Michael Barnes on the left. Barnes combined with Lee on the left to send in a dangerous low cross that Lee Molyneux just managed to divert away from Brandy. From the other flank, Mullan cut inside to tee up Eagles for a drive and then crossed for Brandy to head towards goal. Both efforts were on target and saved by Wright.

Evans was involved at both ends in the 73rd minute, first preventing a shot by Agard after some indecision in the United rearguard and then racing forward on the counter-attack to feed Brandy. Again the striker was denied by Wright.

The momentum was building towards a breakthrough for United. When Phelan fouled Mullan and earned the first booking of the game, Eagles forced a superb save from Wright with a free-kick that deflected off two defenders.

But the Everton keeper was finally beaten moments later, in the 81st minute, when Eagles crossed low from the right and Fagan tucked a first-time shot into the bottom left-hand corner, five minutes after replacing Barnes.

Everton thought they’d grabbed an almost immediate equaliser when Agard put the ball in the net at the second attempt after Heaton’s fine double save from Kissock and then the ‘scorer’, but the linesman’s flag ruled it out.

United: Heaton; R.Eckersley, Chester, Lea, Lee; Mullan, Drinkwater, C.Evans, Barnes (Fagan, 76); Eagles, Brandy. Subs not used: Burns, Zieler, Derbyshire, Bryan.
good stuff

Einar15

Sean Evans was in midfield not Corrie Evans(he's playing with N. Ireland u17's.

rotherham_red

that john paul kissock is meant to be really highly rated at everton. apparently.

Tribec

It wasn't the greatest of games to be honest, for those of you with longer memories, this was like watching a United game under Dave Sexton. I think the grass grew around 0.00001 cm's during the game, I could be mistaken though.

On a personal perspective, this game highlighted what Rafa and Jose have been saying recently about the standards of the reserve league. Whilst United have been fortunate of late to have a good team with the likes of Rossi and co, the current thinking of loaning these players out for first team competitive experience has created a league which isn't helping the development of the younger players.

Of the United team I think only 3 players were around at this point last year, as part of the team which won this competition. Of those 3 Heaton, Lee and Barnes have seen the first team this year, all be it in Carling Cup duty etc. However none of them are close to challenge for a regular first team spot, the only one tonight who should be was Chris Eagles, who is fast becoming and Kieran Richardson wanna be. Eagles should have done more than he did tonight and should be waving goodbye to United in the summer. I don't think it was he who crossed for the goal, I think it was Eckersley, from his pass who crossed.

As you may gather it wasn't the greatest 90 minutes of football, but a win's a win I guess and no matter how they come by, we should be grateful

julesee

have to say im less and less inspired by watching reserves games at the moment with Martin, Evans, Rossi et al not playing.

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
have to say im less and less inspired by watching reserves games at the moment with Martin, Evans, Rossi et al not playing.
They are missing a spark,I must admit ,but you have to remember there is probably only 3 regulars from last season still in the reserves.
We are also 2 in the league so I suppose they can't be that bad.......

Tribec

Like MUM has stated and myself previously this isn't the team from last year. However, looking at the line up on Thursday, and I'll repeat myself, Chris Eagles should have been the spark and should have stood head and shoulders above the rest on the field. Apart from one or two runs, he never really took hold of the game and made it his own. He's not progressed in anyway from a few years back, and for me he's a certainty to leave United at the end of the season.

If I look at the team from Thursday, I'd say we're about 2 season's away from them being nearer the mark that we'd want them to be, but in todays footballing world, that's too long. It's not fair on half the players currently in our reserve team, but apart from one or two, I dare say none of our current reserve team will make the United team.

julesee

tend to agree Tribec....i do like Brandy and Barnes, and possibly Lee, from the team that played against Everton

PS18

reserve football in general has taken a major turn for the worse this season, not just our second string. reducing the leagues to 10 teams was an terrible decision by the fa (assuming it was their call) - 18 games per season (plus a handful in the MSC) is nowhere near enough to develop young players. we saw this early and shipped anyone with any promise (bar Kieran Lee) out on loan. the other big teams have caught on as the season's progressed and done the same, and the result is reserve teams generally full of players going nowhere with their careers. that we're still in with a chance of the title (i think) is amazing really, but that's the reserve setup in England now. you're getting players transferred or loaned out purely as reserve team cover because clubs can't afford not to have a reserve team (injured/out-of-favour players need somewhere to get games) but equally can't afford to condemn talented youngsters to nowhere near enough games in a poor league.

i really don't think it's anything to do with our current crop of young players being any worse than the last two seasons. if the decision to cut the leagues down to 10 teams had happened a season or two earlier our all-conquering reserve sides would have been pretty much as weak as the current one is with Rossi, Pique etc going out on loan much earlier. really hope the FA see sense and re-expand the reserve league this summer, or alternatively that we opt back into the Pontins League (assuming that's still going). it's been quite depressing watching the reserves this season in comparison with previous years, for the first time in ages going all the way to Hyde on a cold, wet Thursday night has felt like a bit of a chore :/

oskarutd

The double header-part two!

From their official site:
Andy van der Meyde will have the chance to prove his fitness ahead of the forthcoming string of Premiership fixtures when Everton's second string take on Manchester United tonight.

The Dutch international is the only player in the 16-man squad for tonight's game at The Halton Stadium to have started a Premiership game.

John Ruddy is the other player with Premiership experience in Andy Holden's squad as Everton seek to turn the tables on Manchester United just days after a 1-0 reverse at Hyde United.

The full squad is: John Ruddy, Shaun Densmore, Alan Kearney, John Irving, Darren Dennehy, Scott Phelan, Steven Morrison, Bjarni Vidarsson, Kieran Agard, Andy van der Meyde, Stephen Connor, Ryan Harpur, Jamie Jones, Scott Spencer, Matthew Elder, Aidan Downes.

Einar15

United won tonight 2-1, Craig Cathcart and Sam Hewson scored the goals.

Lineup: Heaton, Eckersley, Lea, Chester, Cathcart, Lee, Mullan, Hewson, Burns, Eagles, S. Evans(Barnes)
Chris Fagan also came on but sure who came off.

Danny Drinkwater was an unused sub plus two more(don't remember who)

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
thanks, einar. did you watch the game? if so - who did well and who didn't?

Man Utd Mrs

We all love our MUM
They all looked a lot tighter tonight.
Cathcart looked really composed and I was impressed ,yet again, with youngster James Chester.
I don't think anyone had a bad game ,really.

Fagan came on for Aaron Burns.