Gaming Resident Evil 4 Remake (PS5, Series S/X, PC)

Shark

@NotShark
I played it a bit, but at the time I disliked the move from sort of puzzly horror game to action game.

I like action games, but not with meh gameplay.
I've personally completed the original more than I can count, so I'm probably biased. In 2005 it also did many things that changed gaming in general and think it's one of the best games ever crafted. If you didn't enjoy that RE probably isn't for you.

I do get you on the move though. RE 1, 2 and sort of 3 were more survival/puzzle horror orientated. Not that 4 didn't have plenty of puzzles too and survival aspects.

Last edited:

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I'm struggling to keep my interest now. It's just so full of awful design decisions. From movement, to combat, to level design...it's just clearly committee rather than focus on what good game design.

Once again it shows the nature of reviews and publicity. If anyone who truly loved the original reviewed this, they'd be exactly like me...hyped to feck and then as the game went on, forgiving, then by the time of the first main boss (end of the village), incredibly deflated. I mean, it has "modern" controls (as the reviews like to tell us), and yet there's so much jank, the "parry" mechanic is ropey as hell and the "dodge" being one minute contextual then the next non existent screams of not believing in the changes. All whilst they throw ammo and money at you which laughably was described in reviews as "finally, you get the money back for the upgrades on the guns!" (spoiler: you always did anyway, try it).

And if anyone wants to know what I mean by "magic enemies" then play the start of the castle. In the original, when the firebombs start coming down, you can literally hear and see the enemies come charging up from where you came from. In this, one single one spawns at the exact point you turn the corner and grabs Ashley. I actually laughed at that one and had to reload a few times to see it again, so "modern" and so pathetically obvious.

Also...the engine is fecking dogshite and broken in many ways (collisions, occlusions, basic lighting...to name but a few). On PC it can't even track which monitor it's on, on console they are allowed to pretend to have RT which is clearly faked and has been since Village.

I played it a bit, but at the time I disliked the move from sort of puzzly horror game to action game.

I like action games, but not with meh gameplay.
It's worse than "meh" if you have never played the original. The gameplay is shite in this one from a fresh start. It's only passable for the rest of us because we so badly wanted it to recapture the magic.

It does not. RE4:HD and especially the Wii and VR versions are far superior to this in almost every way.

edit: Oh and the ai...for fecks sake, if anyone needs an example of gaming going backwards...

Last edited:

Redlambs

I've personally completed the original more than I can count, so I'm probably biased. In 2005 it also did many things that changed gaming in general and think it's one of the best games ever crafted. If you didn't enjoy that RE probably isn't for you.

I do get you on the move though. RE 1, 2 and sort of 3 were more survival/puzzle horror orientated. Not that 4 didn't have plenty of puzzles too and survival aspects.
Honestly, do you love this remake? And that's a genuine question btw, I'm intrigued to know.

My missus, for example, loves the original almost as much as I do and still likes this one. She's NG+ 'ing it right now in the background as I type this. But she accepts it's more because of the love for the first than anything, but is still really enjoying it.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
I'm struggling to keep my interest now. It's just so full of awful design decisions. From movement, to combat, to level design...it's just clearly committee rather than focus on what good game design.

Once again it shows the nature of reviews and publicity. If anyone who truly loved the original reviewed this, they'd be exactly like me...hyped to feck and then as the game went on, forgiving, then by the time of the first main boss (end of the village), incredibly deflated. I mean, it has "modern" controls (as the reviews like to tell us), and yet there's so much jank, the "parry" mechanic is ropey as hell and the "dodge" being one minute contextual then the next non existent screams of not believing in the changes. All whilst they throw ammo and money at you which laughably was described in reviews as "finally, you get the money back for the upgrades on the guns!" (spoiler: you always did anyway, try it).

And if anyone wants to know what I mean by "magic enemies" then play the start of the castle. In the original, when the firebombs start coming down, you can literally hear and see the enemies come charging up from where you came from. In this, one single one spawns at the exact point you turn the corner and grabs Ashley. I actually laughed at that one and had to reload a few times to see it again, so "modern" and so pathetically obvious.

Also...the engine is fecking dogshite and broken in many ways (collisions, occlusions, basic lighting...to name but a few). On PC it can't even track which monitor it's on, on console they are allowed to pretend to have RT which is clearly faked and has been since Village.

It's worse than "meh" if you have never played the original. The gameplay is shite in this one from a fresh start. It's only passable for the rest of us because we so badly wanted it to recapture the magic.

It does not. RE4:HD and especially the Wii and VR versions are far superior to this in almost every way.

edit: Oh and the ai...for fecks sake, if anyone needs an example of gaming going backwards...
Really? The gameplay is worse?

Redlambs

BTW, has anyone actually witnessed the enemies putting down bear traps and laying trap paths for us?

Because I'm playing through on the hardest difficulty from the off, and there's absolutely none of that. Only when you go back to pre-canned areas are they already there very occasionally. I surely must have missed it, because the trailers and some reviews speak about how clever they are about this aspect.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Not sure I can be feckin bothered to play through this cabin shit again. Really pissed me off.

And yeah there's some shitty collision detection going on at times. Bullets often don't register when they're clearly on target.

Redlambs

Not sure I can be feckin bothered to play through this cabin shit again. Really pissed me off.
The Luis one in the village defence?

And yeah there's some shitty collision detection going on at times. Bullets often don't register when they're clearly on target.
I did say that about the demo...

Woodzy

I definitely didn’t have infinite spawning enemies at the fish farm. I think a few spawned at a certain point when I got to the top level but that was it, was clear for me to find the blue medallions then.

siw2007

I beat the original back when it first came out on PS2. I don’t remember much but I don’t seem to recall all the respawning enemies. I think it was the area straight after you break out of your cell where you have to retrieve a cog that is on a hut on the far side of the area but my god, the amount of villagers that would just randomly crawl out of every corner over and over again, it was ridiculous and would rather that was one feature that they didn’t include. Other than an occasional control frustration, the game gets a lot right. Love the creepy and tense atmosphere and love the puzzles too.

Shark

@NotShark
Honestly, do you love this remake? And that's a genuine question btw, I'm intrigued to know.

My missus, for example, loves the original almost as much as I do and still likes this one. She's NG+ 'ing it right now in the background as I type this. But she accepts it's more because of the love for the first than anything, but is still really enjoying it.
I was more so coming from the fact that if you didn't enjoy the original the remake probably isn't going to change that. I have enjoyed the remake immensely but agree that it has some issues. It's definitely a lot more difficult than the original even on "normal" making areas where there's almost infinite feckers in your face a lot more stressful, and Leon's aiming as I think you've pointed out before can be really shite too. Something is badly off there definitely. Ramon Salazar was an absolute bastard of a boss to aim at consistently and that cabin part as well as having to take on those two Garrador's was much more stressful than the original but still rewarding you pull it off. Not sure how anyone could enjoy the game playing on hardcore though that'd be true torture. Maybe try it on Professional?

Last edited:

evil_geko

My first playthrough was on Hardcore, closing to the end of second playthrough on Professional with fresh save, no NG+ because I want to unlock Handcannon. And have to say I had easy time with some sections that gave me the hard time on Hardcore. For example, the cabin with Luis I finished in first try, Water Room, first try etc. Most problem I had on Pro is first village part with bell for some reason, was dying and getting one shot constantly!

Amazing remake! And OG RE4 wasn't even one of my favorites, I like the first three much more. But loving this one!

Chairman Steve

The Salazar boss fight was a particularly giant pain in the ass for me. I swear some of those bullshit acid attacks went through walls or floors and that one hit kill is the worst too especially with the wonky camera at play and his ability to stunlock you. I resisted the temptation to just one shot him with the rocket launcher like a lot of people do in the original, but endeavoured to beat him with normal weapons and after 4 attempts I killed the manlet and smote his ruin.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Was contemplating getting this before I saw the original remake of RESI 1 going on sale for £4 on ps-store a few weeks back and I don't regret my choice, one because it was cheap and i'm tight with my cash now. :D

That's not to say I didnt enjoy the original RESI 4 ,and I was looking forward to this newer take on the hugely popular 4th instalment, but playing the first in the series kind of brought me back to why its such a greater game. More patient build-up, the atmosphere is brilliantly eerie, the environment, the puzzles and the basic 'old haunted house' storyline is effectively realized.
Its more ambiguous before the story of this world got more out of control, for good and bad. Visually its looks good too.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Trying to get an S+ rank on professional in this is not going to be fun. Not sure if I can be arsed with that. I'm actually really liking the game a lot now, but there is some bullshit in it.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
The Salazar boss fight was a particularly giant pain in the ass for me. I swear some of those bullshit acid attacks went through walls or floors and that one hit kill is the worst too especially with the wonky camera at play and his ability to stunlock you. I resisted the temptation to just one shot him with the rocket launcher like a lot of people do in the original, but endeavoured to beat him with normal weapons and after 4 attempts I killed the manlet and smote his ruin.
That was not a good boss fight. The gameplay doesn't lend itself kindly to a boss fight like that one. I just used the mines on the bolt thrower. That brought him down easy so you could stab him in the eye. Rinse and repeat.

Irwin99

I'm on my third playthrough now. I started on hardcore then standard and i'm now picking up trophies on assisted and the hardcore one was insanely frustrating but it felt more like a survival horror experience and the most enjoyable. The platinum is going to be brutal.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Really enjoying this although I agree with what was said above about the gameplay not really being conducive to boss fights.

Also, at least Ashley is tolerable in this.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
I thought this as well about RE2, which is otherwise a fantastic game (the crane dude especially).
Hottest of hot takes here perhaps, but the boss fights are my least favorite part of RE games. Just don't like them.

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
i must be the slowest player. Only on chapter 11, somehow 20 hours of in. (Collecting everything etc)

it’s absolutely brilliant though. All 3 remakes have been a massive hit for me and improved on the originals I even liked part 3 remake too.

Chairman Steve

I don’t think the realistic weighty movements of Leon helps with a boss like Salazar, which is a boss that’s moving around the arena a lot and at a relatively fast speed. He has a very high HP as well so if your weapons aren’t upgraded to a decent level, that boss will take forever.

I will say though that the music for that fight is exceptionally good.

I also like Saddler‘s redesign. He kinda looks like a high fantasy druid version of the G-Man from Half-Life. Facially he is a dead ringer for him too and the change of colour from purple to dark navy emphasises it even more.

Last edited:

Irwin99

Went on assisted mode to get six trophies and it's now down to four because of the difficulty :mad: . The frugal (no healing items) is just too hard combined with handgun and knife only, no talking to the merchant and doing the speed trophy.

evil_geko

I don’t think the realistic weighty movements of Leon helps with a boss like Salazar, which is a boss that’s moving around the arena a lot and at a relatively fast speed. He has a very high HP as well so if your weapons aren’t upgraded to a decent level, that boss will take forever.
You do have a lot of cover in that arena for a reason though. I killed him in second try on HC. But had to be very patient.

Woodzy

Just got to the castle which is about as far as I got on the original. It’s fantastic to be fair. Really clunky though, the Mendez boss fight wasn’t fun. How on earth are you supposed to evade those flying planks?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
Salazar beaten first go. Rocket launcher pretty much one shots him

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just got to the castle which is about as far as I got on the original. It’s fantastic to be fair. Really clunky though, the Mendez boss fight wasn’t fun. How on earth are you supposed to evade those flying planks?
I actually found those (and that fight in general) really easy. I climb up the ladder to the top section and run from one side to the other when he grabs those. Obviously shoot the red tanks when he picks them up on like the 4th go. The only time I come down from the top is to stab him when he's on the deck

Woodzy

I actually found those (and that fight in general) really easy. I climb up the ladder to the top section and run from one side to the other when he grabs those. Obviously shoot the red tanks when he picks them up on like the 4th go. The only time I come down from the top is to stab him when he's on the deck
Didn't even know there was a ladder :lol:

Woodzy

Salazar boss fight is bollocks. Done it though, just circled around a pillar for like 10 minutes

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I always struggled on the first two Resident Evil games but I felt the ones after that were quite comfortable.
Don't think I ever completed the first instalment in the series.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Trying to get an S+ rank on professional in this is not going to be fun. Not sure if I can be arsed with that. I'm actually really liking the game a lot now, but there is some bullshit in it.
Door skips makes this a hell of a lot easier. Albeit they are super hard to pull off on console.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Salazar boss fight is bollocks. Done it though, just circled around a pillar for like 10 minutes
Theres a super easy way to beat him

He's allergic to eggs. This is hinted at in the sidquest where you hit his painting with an egg. Hitting him with a golden egg immediately puts him down. 2 golden eggs (they have to land on him and not the monstery part) and you can stab him to death. They do 70% of his health but so I'm not sure if stabbing is even necessary.

Irwin99

He's allergic to eggs. This is hinted at in the sidquest where you hit his painting with an egg. Hitting him with a golden egg immediately puts him down. 2 golden eggs (they have to land on him and not the monstery part) and you can stab him to death. They do 70% of his health but so I'm not sure if stabbing is even necessary.
I actually thought this was an April fools joke when i first heard about it :lol: . To be fair, there have been a few stories going around that aren't true, like older fans telling new RE4 players that if you shoot the water at the lake you'll get some really great items and obviously, veteran players know what happens when you do that :D

padr81

Supports
Man City
I actually thought this was an April fools joke when i first heard about it :lol: . To be fair, there have been a few stories going around that aren't true, like older fans telling new RE4 players that if you shoot the water at the lake you'll get some really great items and obviously, veteran players know what happens when you do that :D
Yeah I got a laugh out of a few steamers doing that. The one in the spoiler is legit though.

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans

I didnt even know you could use eggs as weapons

weetee

Supports
no-one in particular
That‘s quite funny. It‘ll take some time to reach this particular fight but it adds some nice meaning to all the chickens running around. Shooting water though…gonna be the first thing I‘ll do tomorrow evening.