Resting Pogba...

Green_Red

He has been rested. Didn't McTominay, Fred and Pereira start in midfield without Pogba recently under Ole?

SAFMUTD

If he needs a rest Ole can start taking him out in the 60-70 minute, until now he has showned no signs of fatigue and its crucial to our game.

Let’s keep the momentum, as long as he and the team keep playing like the last games our confidence will only increase, and we need it for that week against PSG.

Joseunited

He's in the form of his life and people think he needs a rest, great idea.

Pavl3n

Can we afford to do this at all without becoming 50% worse of a team?

Every game is so important for us at the moment. If we can draw a lower league opponent in the next round of the FA Cup then we can at least schedule him a day off there, but right now I wouldn’t want him to be on the bench even for a home league game against Fulham or whatever.

Been looking at our schedule going forward, and going back to a 2-game-a-week period, we can’t afford to rest him even once, but at the same time, we also need him at his best every game.
Well he was. And we beat them comfortably.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Don't think he needs rest, after the Newcastle game on Jan 2nd, he played 3 games in 26 days and also a good break in Dubai. Most of the first team players got good enough rest after games during New year/Christmas time.

After Newcastle game all the first choice players were rested for Reading game and then played vs Spurs with 11 day gap. Then played Brighton and Arsenal with 6 days gap between each games. I think that's good enough rest for players, especially the ones who are young and in mid 20s.

Aarron Swift

We need to rest Pogba at some point, the same goes with Matic & Herrera. It’s hard to see how we could ever rotate our midfield 3 without it severely affecting quality unlike other areas.

Fred in his day may be able to come in for Herrera but I can’t see any legit cover for Matic or Pogba. Would have to mean a change in system, possibly playing either Lingard or Mata in the number 10 position. I can’t imgaine it would be popular but looking at our squad, in terms of a defensive midfielder cover for Matic, potentially Jones? I just can’t see Mctominay doing well at all

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
He had like a month off when Jose dropped him. He doesn't need rest.
Yeah this. He's had his rest this season. We need to keep our momentum going and so does he.

If we get a good draw in the FA Cup we can rest players. And that's likely with the amount of premiership sides out now.

RedFin

Against weaker opposition we could play Alexis instead of Pogba as they like to play in the same areas.

Matic can be rested by playing Herrera there and having Fred or Perreira in Herrera's position. And when Herrera needs rest the same guys can come in.

The need for rotation isn't only to rest our starting 11 but to get game time and hopefully some confidence and form for the other players. That way if there are injuries we will have players ready to step in and perform.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alemar

Can Barcelona rest Messi? That’s pretty similar situation - of course they can, but they are a different side without.

Paul hasn’t been overused this season and is visibly eager to play, but Ole knows better (than us) what is the current fatigue level of Pogba and other players. Perhaps, it is yet insignificant, and on TV at least it looks that Matic is more in need of a rest. Based on play style so is Herrera.

It’s more Important to give rest to Pogba and Herrera as those positions cover for Pogba, and if everything is under control Paul doesn’t need to overwork himself defensively (vs weaker opposition that is)

Irrational.

There is simply no need to rest him, and I am sure he would prefer to play every game.

I would only consider it if his performances take a nosedive but tat the moment he is critical to our climb up the table/ run in the cups.

RedIan

• Why would you rest a player who is fit as a fiddle and the main driver of the teams resurgence. Anyway hes had his mid -season rest when jose refused to play him for a few games.
  • Was the poster who said he was largely ineffective against Arsenal watching? He may have been quiet first half but second he was immense running at Arsenal with a power they could not cope with. I gave him motm and im not alone.
  • Naive to get complacent and under-estimate the opposition after a run of wins. We need every point to keep catching up witrh 4th spot. Spurs are weakened with the loss of players we need to take advantage if they slip again, not rest our best players and nullify the advantage.

Shaw Mee Tah Mané

Between November 3rd and December 22nd Pogba played 172 minutes in the PL. He basically had a 2 month rest. With a bit of luck in the FA Cup draw, he can also rest between PSG February 12th and Liverpool February 24th.

Hopefully we can also kill some of the next matches early to take him off.

I'm more concerned for Matic, he played everything all season.

Mike Smalling

There has not really been any signs of him needing a rest, so I don't think it would make sense to start putting him on the bench just yet. He is in his best football age, got a rest earlier in the season and is generally really fit. Would much rather we start taking him off with 20-30 mins. to go, if the victory looks fairly certain.

I would be more concerned with resting Matic. Also, we need to figure out how to play in midfield when one or more of Pogba, Herrera and Matic are unavailable or need a rest.

Rozski

There has not really been any signs of him needing a rest, so I don't think it would make sense to start putting him on the bench just yet. He is in his best football age, got a rest earlier in the season and is generally really fit. Would much rather we start taking him off with 20-30 mins. to go, if the victory looks fairly certain.

I would be more concerned with resting Matic. Also, we need to figure out how to play in midfield when one or more of Pogba, Herrera and Matic are unavailable or need a rest.
Agree 100% with this. He’s young enough that he shouldn’t need much resting anyway and has had plenty of games off this season already. Unless he shows obvious signs of needing a break let’s just ride his great form. If we can get him subbed off early in some games then I’m sure that’s plenty. He could always be given some lighter days in training or something too to save his legs a bit.

Much more concerned with trying to get Matic rest since he was an ever present under Mou (although the way he was playing he didn’t seem to exert himself much so maybe less rest than a player would normally need.) It would seem like McTominay would be the obvious Matic replacement and Fred for Herrera but they need some game time to get settled and hopefully get some confidence.

Cloud7

Every game is a must win game these days. It’s too risky to drop Pogba. Also didn’t he have like three games off under Jose? That should have been rest enough. He’s also a very fit player, so all things considered he should be fine handling our games. The only thing I would consider is in games that we’re comfortably winning, maybe take him off, but other than that we need him starting every game.

Tibs

Need to kill these next few games off quickly and then take him off at 60 minutes

Bwuk

Start him and if needs be sub him off but the drop off when he’s unavailable is very drastic.

I do think we need to try Fred as one of the pivot against Burnley. If he’s not going to work out it leaves a lot of pressure on Herrera and Matic to stay fit and perform.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
This is why we need to get kids like Gomes, Greenwood into the set up ASAP because when Pogba is out the side the level of flair and creativity drops massively. We need to maintain a core of dynamic creative talents who can minimise the drop off if Martial, Rashford and Pogba are out.

With Sánchez, Lukaku and Mata they might be experienced but you see a big drop off in terms of tempo and intensity which I think younger legs could bring to the table.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Hard to see when he'll be given a rest now after that FA Cup draw

midnightmare

He's played just 2,229 minutes so far this season. That's not too much - equivalent of <25 games. As a key player, that's not too high and we're in a critical phase. We need to win every game and make up ground in the league, while also targeting wins in the FAC and CL. He's also not played too much since October when Jose decided to bin him. Feel it's a massive overreach to think he's fatigued and in need of rest. Apart from the festive period schedule, it's not like we've been playing twice a week! He should be fine.

I'm all for pulling him off after the 60-70 minute mark if we are coasting, but that's more to minimize suspension / injury risk than because of exhaustion.

beedoubleyou

He's 25 and enjoying his football.

I think he'll be fine.

That angry Scottish bloke on Sky Sports insists he's a wonderful athlete.

Matic is starting to look like he did toward the end of Mourinho's reign though.

I would think between McTominay, Fred and Pereira that there should be opportunity to rotate.

Zlatattack

I get he's in form and very fit and I trust our sports scientists to know best, but I remember Arsenal used to get a lot of injuries because they used to play players when they were in the "red zone" - whatever that is. I think it was related to tiredness. What we want to do is manage our players so they don't hit that zone. We also need to be using our squad so that it has some cohesion to it and can work together in case we do get an injury. Most of that work is going to be done on the training ground though.

This is why I think we should be training and maybe implementing models without key players like Pogba, Matic etc - to see how it works. On paper Pogba could be covered by Mata, Lingard and Sanchez, but it'd require some tweaking and rotation. I'd hope we've planned for that. Similarly Matic/Herrera could be covered by Fred/Periera/Fellaini, but I think it'd be a drop in quality.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
I agree we're more likely to take him off after 60/70 mins than remove him from a matchday squad if we we feel he needs a rest before the fixtures get truly thick. Then again why should he need a rest? He's an exemplary physical specimen and he was left out on various occasions by Jose. He's raring to go and in good form, resting him is not on the agenda.

dove

This place is really obsessed with resting players :lol:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
This place is really obsessed with resting players :lol:
Seriously. Young players I understand. Playing 3 times a week I understand. We have a full week between with the occasional mid week game, Pogba is incredibly fit, he can handle it just like Ronaldo and Messi pretty much havent been rested for 10 years. There's no signs of any fatigue, and if so, you still start him and sub him off once you feel comfortable.

beedoubleyou

Seriously. Young players I understand. Playing 3 times a week I understand. We have a full week between with the occasional mid week game, Pogba is incredibly fit, he can handle it just like Ronaldo and Messi pretty much havent been rested for 10 years. There's no signs of any fatigue, and if so, you still start him and sub him off once you feel comfortable.
I like it in the match day thread when people get furious because we are winning and don't take off Pogba/Rashford/Martial when they could get injured.

Milo2035

The way he plays Pogba will never be injured or tired. And still be efficient. What a special player.

Stretford kev

he was relatively poor against Arsenal but he's still our most important player I suppose

the way things are the way we're defending we'll do well. The way Rashford, Lingard and Martial are playing we'll do alright. Pogba is the key man though.

this Burnley game could be the opportunity to give Mata a game in his place. Fred or Lingard would be the other option with Sanchez on the right if Jesse moves inside

He's a fantastic athlete though and Matic is perhaps the one more in need of a rest
Poor against Arsenal. You obviously like a few sherbets!

Last edited by a moderator:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Think the next few games will bring this question back to the fore. He looked a little tired against Leicester (before his second wind) and he’s just too crucial at the moment, as are all of our games. We can’t even give him the FA Cup game off either.

I think Matic aside, we can and will rest all of our players at some stage over the next month or so. Can’t see how we can rest Pogba at all, for the rest of the season for that matter given how tight things are in the league.

Fosu-Mens

Think the next few games will bring this question back to the fore. He looked a little tired against Leicester (before his second wind) and he’s just too crucial at the moment, as are all of our games. We can’t even give him the FA Cup game off either.

I think Matic aside, we can and will rest all of our players at some stage over the next month or so. Can’t see how we can rest Pogba at all, for the rest of the season for that matter given how tight things are in the league.
Rashford, Pogba, Herrera and Matic all need some rest. All have looked tired in the last games, and ideally we should make a decision on wheter to go all out for top 4 or the CL/Fa. I would definitively choose top 4 as we will not win the CL, and if Pogba gets injured due to fatigue, then the rest of our season is fecked.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Rashford, Pogba, Herrera and Matic all need some rest. All have looked tired in the last games, and ideally we should make a decision on wheter to go all out for top 4 or the CL/Fa. I would definitively choose top 4 as we will not win the CL, and if Pogba gets injured due to fatigue, then the rest of our season is fecked.
Rashford and Herrera have both been rested in our last two or three games to be fair. They can also both be rested a bit more easily over the next month. Pogba and Matic have no able deputies.

lysglimt

Scout
In fairness Fulham is a match where we possibly could play our strongest side without having any player really exhaust themselves. We should be good enough to dominate in that match