Retro Football Fantasy Championship

Polaroid

Retro Football Fantasy Championship - DRAFT THREAD

What is different this time round are the players and the competition format.

All players born in the 1960s (1 Jan 1960 to 31 Dec 1969), bar Diego Maradona, are available for drafting. For the purpose of this competition, these players are considered at the level when they were in their prime. Each manager gets to pick 12 players to form a squad.

Competition format is identical to that of the Euros - 4 groups of 4, top 2 in each group advance to the quarters. Group winner gets to pick one player each from the two eliminated teams to add to his squad, followed by the group runner-up's turn. In the knockout rounds, winner of the tie gets to add one player from the losing side to his squad. This means that by the final round, each of the two finalists will have a squad of 16 players to choose their matchday team from.

16 managerial openings for 16 teams.
Would anybody be interested?

Draft rules
* Managers will take turns to draft players (first round of draft will start with Manager 1 and end with manager 16, second round starts with Manager 16 and ends with Manager 1, third round will start from Manager 1, so and so forth)
* You have 12 hours to post your draft pick. If you do not do so, the draft proceeds to the next manager in line and it is up to you to post your draft pick at your earliest convenience.
* In this competition, players are considered at the level when they were in their prime.
* When posting your draft pick, please post a picture of the player. You can also briefly explain why you picked this player.
* Once you have posted your draft pick, you have to PM the manager next in line to inform him/her that it is his/her turn
* Once the draft is complete, match threads will be started where each manager posts their match team, tactics and any persuasive arguments why their team has an upper hand over the opposition etc.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I'll join this one.

Although the problem will be that majority won't have seen the players mentioned in this.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Me too, need to make up for losing the final... :(

Polaroid

Great, as of now we have 9 managers, 7 more to go and the draft can commence :)

Polaroid
K Stand Knut
Crustanoid
KM
kps88
Desert Eagle
Gio
Cal?
IBleedRed

Polaroid

10 now, 6 more vacancies, while stocks last!

Polaroid
K Stand Knut
Crustanoid
KM
kps88
Desert Eagle
Gio
Cal?
IBleedRed
DanNistelrooy

Crustanoid

How often do I need to check this thread so as not to feck the game up by people having to wait? Every couple of hours?

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You talking about drafts? Well, not unless it's on the front page and is bolded.

Polaroid

How often do I need to check this thread so as not to feck the game up by people having to wait? Every couple of hours?
Hi Crustanoid, it depends on your position in the drafting sequence.
For example, you are 1st in the drafting sequence
After you have made your 1st round pick, you have to wait for the other 15 managers to make their 1st round pick and 2nd round pick before it is your turn to make your 2nd round pick. 3rd round picks start with you again. So effectively you are making your 2nd round and 3rd round picks at the same time. So if you are 1st in the sequence, it could be a rather long wait in between your 1st and 2nd round pick, between your 3rd and 4th round pick. Upside is that you get to make your 2nd and 3rd round picks at the same time. Similarly if you are near or at the end of the drafting sequence, you would have a short wait between your 1st and 2nd round picks but a long wait between your 2nd and 3rd round picks. Each manager has to pick 12 players so there will be 12 rounds of picks.

Each manager takes anywhere from a few minutes to the maximum of 12 hours to make their pick. When the 12 hours limit is exceeded, the draft automatically skips to the next manager in line who can proceed to pick his player. The manager who missed his turn can make his pick when he returns to the caf. Depending on how late he is, the players he wanted could have been taken up by other managers. In practice, from my experience in the previous draft, it usually takes 1-2 days between each round of picks. The sure-fire way to avoid missing your turn in the draft is to check every 12 hours:)

Polaroid

Actually count me out of this one.
Are you certain? it would be a pity if you could not join us

14 as of now, if we do not include Solius
Polaroid
K Stand Knut
Crustanoid
KM
kps88
Desert Eagle
Gio
Cal?
IBleedRed
DanNistelrooy
Enigma 87
TheHorse'sMouth
Snow
Team Brian GB

Polaroid

You talking about drafts? Well, not unless it's on the front page and is bolded.
Snow, this would be the draft thread. I can add "DRAFT THREAD" to the title once 16 managers are in

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Join us and compete against him:D
Very tempted, but I'll only end up fecking it all up! Honestly, I rarely get on the internet at all at when I'm at work bar maybe 5 minutes to check my work emails. Factor in going to the gym after work and drunken time at the weekends and there's no way I could guarantee being able to post consistently enough to take part.

Polaroid

Very tempted, but I'll only end up fecking it all up! Honestly, I rarely get on the internet at all at when I'm at work bar maybe 5 minutes to check my work emails. Factor in going to the gym after work and drunken time at the weekends and there's no way I could guarantee being able to post consistently enough to take part.
Pity you could not join, do try to vote when the matches kick off;)

I'm in !!
Great!

15 as of now, if Solius is not in, we have only one vacancy left
Polaroid
K Stand Knut
Crustanoid
KM
kps88
Desert Eagle
Gio
Cal?
IBleedRed
DanNistelrooy
Enigma 87
TheHorse'sMouth
Snow
Team Brian GB
Nani Nana

Polaroid

I'd love the last spot if Solius opts out
To get the competition going, i confirm that the last spot goes to you:) it would be great if Solius can join us next time, perhaps for players born in the 70s ;)

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
I'd love the last spot if Solius opts out
shame for him, and shame for you as well since i'll be the one stealing Michael Laudrup from under your nose :D

let's get it started folks

Polaroid

In a blaze of publicity, all 16 managers are introduced under the glare of flashing lights in a massive press conference.

This is the drafting sequence using RANDOM.ORG - True Random Number Service

DanNistelrooy
IBleedRed
Polaroid
Team Brian GB
K Stand Knut
Ralaks
Enigma 87
Cal?
TheHorse'sMouth
KM
Desert Eagle
Crustanoid
Nani Nana
Snow
Gio
kps88

DanNistelrooy can start off the draft pick now;)

Team Brian GB

Baby Cameron loves X-Factor
Supports
Chelsea
DanNistelrooy can start off the draft pick now;)
Just to clarify, DanNistelrooy has 12 hours starting now, and the next person has twelve hours once he has picked and so forth?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
this is gonna take ages

i propose we hand the trophy to Nani Nana straight away

Polaroid

Yeah I don't think I'll know enough players.
You can join us next time, for players born in the 70s;)

When does this begin?
It starts now, if DanNistelrooy does not pick within 12 hours, it will be IBleedRed's turn. After that it will be me, then you, following the draft sequence. Second round of picks will be in reverse order, starting with kps88 and ending with DanNistelrooy.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
Don't think I can go too wrong picking this man

Eric Cantona

Polaroid

Just to clarify, DanNistelrooy has 12 hours starting now, and the next person has twelve hours once he has picked and so forth?
Yes that is correct

DanNistelrooy is online now, I PMed him to let him know the draft is now on