Rhian Brewster

Bondi77

It seems from some reports that the young man does not figure in Klopps long term plan which I find surprising. I am sure that if a mid table club made a move for him the price would be around the mid 20s but for us it would be over 30mil not that Liverpool would sell to us with our history. I think he is going to be a very good player and would fit into our squad nicely and he is not a scouser so I wonder if Ole is looking at him as a potential target.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
If he moves to any other club, we should keep tabs on him and try after a couple of years.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Seems Klopp is quite the coward when it comes to his team. He’s obviously more of a buy the league type guy.

Last edited:

Sparky Rhiwabon

Given that Liverpool play the same front three (in fact pretty much the same team) every week, he needs to move on.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
Was he actually any good at Swansea?

Ive only seen him at youth level and despite the goals I found his all around game to be severely lacking. Didn’t look a top talent at all.

prateik

He is 20... scored 10 goals for Swansea in the Championship.. that is it.. Capped for England in the U21s and U18s, but hasnt scored at those levels.. only scored at U17s.

20m for him? How highly is he rated? And by whom? and more importantly.. why?

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He is 20... scored 10 goals for Swansea in the Championship.. that is it.. Capped for England in the U21s and U18s, but hasnt scored at those levels.. only scored at U17s.

Performances in the U17 World Cup win I presume.

prateik

Performances in the U17 World Cup win I presume.
Performances from over 3 years ago.. bloody hell..

We have had so many players look stellar in the U18s and not fulfil their potential.. if we could start getting 20m for each, we'd be able to pay the Messi release clause.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

He scored 11 in 22 apps for Swansea.

20 million is Solanke or Dalot money, not a crazy figure.

He'll be a Premier League forward. Not Messi of course but will score goals if he gets game time in the prem.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
When you have 18 year olds like Greenwood people tend to not be impressed by 10 goals in 20 games at championship level for a 20 year old. Its actually a decent enough first season for a player who's had a lot of injuries. That said Klopps judgement of young players is quiet good.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
When you have 18 year olds like Greenwood people tend to not be impressed by 10 goals in 20 games at championship level for a 20 year old. Its actually a decent enough first season for a player who's had a lot of injuries. That said Klopps judgement of young players is quiet good.
11 in 22 but the point stands.

It's incredibly difficult for a striker to get into a side like the current Liverpool, not just because they are so good but also because of the what Klopp wants from his centre forward.

Not being able to do what Firminho does is not the same as thinking the player is crap.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
11 in 22 but the point stands.

It's incredibly difficult for a striker to get into a side like the current Liverpool, not just because they are so good but also because of the what Klopp wants from his centre forward.
You’re right. Brewster, to be fair to Klopp, doesn’t possess the requisite skillset to be a defensive forward.

Can’t have genuine attackers taking Bobby No Goals’ position in the team...

mu4c_20le

Not being able to do what Firminho does is not the same as thinking the player is crap.
That just explains the lack of opportunities in the current set up, but not the noise coming from anfield that seems to suggest they do not rate him.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Seems Klopp is quite the coward when it comes to his team. He’s obviously more of a buy the league type guy.
Yea, he doesn’t develop players right?

I respect his approach. Even if an academy player is ‘good’ - they have to be ‘good enough’ to get into his team. They aren’t just romantically attached to all youth players. Neco Williams and Curtis Jones have been put into the squad.

If it were United, all of Brewster, Harry Wilson, Solanke and co would all be in our squad in the name of ‘tradition’. These players are not good enough for title winning sides.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
good signing for them - any details on what the buyback is?
Nope, doesn't get mentioned anywhere. I'd assume between £30-40m, maybe it goes up every year too. Almost definitely going to be higher than what they paid for him, obviously.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
He looks a talent, to be fair.
Think Sheffield have got a good player on their hands.

marktan

Jesus that is an extortionate price for a player who's done nothing in his career. He reminds of the likes of Solanke, Frazier Cambpell - they do well in the lower leagues but struggle to replicate it in the top tier.

I don't know much about his all-round game so maybe he'll prove me wrong, but someone like Ollie Watkins for a similar price would've been a far better deal - he's shown a lot more in his career and his all-round link-up play is great which would've suited a team like Sheffield.

I fear a bit for Sheffield this season - the defence is light with injuries and players like Ramsdale, Ampadu and Burke are question marks - now they've added another in Brewster. Has a very Bournemouth-y vibe to it.

To top it off a £30-35m buyback clause makes it a pretty poor deal around for Sheffield. I guess that's the difference with us and Pool at the moment - they've have a plethora of top attacking talent and so can sell their youngsters in these types of deals, whereas we have to play ours in the first XI and hope they make significant improvement quickly.

Vargo Hoat

Supports
Union Berlin
Pre-Klopp, Brewster, H. Wilson, and many more would have gotten some serious game time for Liverpool. Now that they are the best team in the league it takes something else entirely to break through. Curtis Jones seems to be the one to do it. Really, really good player and younger than Brewster as well.

I still back Brewster to make it in the Premier League, though. Of all the young players I've seen lately only Greenwood seems a more natural finisher. The reported buy-back clause Liverpool will have in this deal seems a smart decision if the player can develop his overall game through regular appearances for Sheffield United.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
Jesus that is an extortionate price for a player who's done nothing in his career. He reminds of the likes of Solanke, Frazier Cambpell - they do well in the lower leagues but struggle to replicate it in the top tier.

I don't know much about his all-round game so maybe he'll prove me wrong, but someone like Ollie Watkins for a similar price would've been a far better deal - he's shown a lot more in his career and his all-round link-up play is great which would've suited a team like Sheffield.

I fear a bit for Sheffield this season - the defence is light with injuries and players like Ramsdale, Ampadu and Burke are question marks - now they've added another in Brewster. Has a very Bournemouth-y vibe to it.

To top it off a £30-35m buyback clause makes it a pretty poor deal around for Sheffield. I guess that's the difference with us and Pool at the moment - they've have a plethora of top attacking talent and so can sell their youngsters in these types of deals, whereas we have to play ours in the first XI and hope they make significant improvement quickly.
I agree with quite a lot from your post but a few things with which I don't agree:

- Brewster has failed to get into our starting XI but whenever he played in cups etc. he looked quality, has a nose for goals and definitely a few levels higher than the likes of Solanke (at least the potential to be);
- Watkins went for £28m rising to a potential £32m so quite a difference for a club like Sheffield probably;
- Brewster is from 2000, Watkins from 1995. He basically has a few good years to be at the same level as Watkins, and I don't think he's that far off to begin with right now (imo).

If Liverpool exercises the buy-back option in three years, it means that he's (borderline) starting quality for a PL giant, which implies that Sheffield will have had a quality striker for one, two or maybe all three years. If Liverpool doesn't exercise the option, maybe he hasn't become world class but he's still good enough to be a starter for the likes of Sheffield. It's only in the case that he flops that it'll be looked at as a bad deal for Sheffield, but even then they would probably be able to ship him off to a Championship side for £10-15m or so I'd imagine.

I think he'll be starting a lot for them and he's only 20 years old so has the potential to become even better. To compare: when Harry Kane was 20 years old he was on loan in the Championship at Leicester (which Brewster already proved he can do with his good play at Swansea last year).

Last edited:

That sounds like a poor deal for Sheffield United. Take a 23.5m risk, if it pays off Liverpool take him back at likely a fraction of his market value, if it doesn't, it's a waste of 23.5m.

A great one for Liverpool mind you. Pay somebody a pittance to develop a player for you.

RobinLFC

Supports
Liverpool
That sounds like a poor deal for Sheffield United. Take a 23.5m risk, if it pays off Liverpool take him back at likely a fraction of his market value, if it doesn't, it's a waste of 23.5m.
There are quite a few levels a player could be playing at between being a world beater or becoming a total flop, especially at a midtable PL club like Sheffield. If Brewster becomes a Callum Wilson or Calvert-Lewin type of player, we probably won't want him back for £35m or so but he's more than good enough to stay at Sheffield.

ti vu

I agree with quite a lot from your post but a few things with which I don't agree:

- Brewster has failed to get into our starting XI but whenever he played in cups etc. he looked quality, has a nose for goals and definitely a few levels higher than the likes of Solanke (at least the potential to be);
- Watkins went for £28m rising to a potential £32m so quite a difference for a club like Sheffield probably;
- Brewster is from 2000, Watkins from 1995. He basically has a few good years to be at the same level as Watkins, and I don't think he's that far off to begin with right now (imo).

If Liverpool exercises the buy-back option in three years, it means that he's (borderline) starting quality for a PL giant, which implies that Sheffield will have had a quality striker for one, two or maybe all three years. If Liverpool doesn't exercise the option, maybe he hasn't become world class but he's still good enough to be a starter for the likes of Sheffield. It's only in the case that he flops that it'll be looked at as a bad deal for Sheffield, but even then they would probably be able to ship him off to a Championship side for £10-15m or so I'd imagine.

I think he'll be starting a lot for them and he's only 20 years old so has the potential to become even better. To compare: when Harry Kane was 20 years old he was on loan in the Championship at Leicester (which Brewster already proved he can do with his good play at Derby last year).
How can he flop and they can still recoup 10-15m? It's not like other clubs would stop producing new talents and some clubs need to buy proven flop with pedigree. Loan from big clubs cost no fee.

That's lazy comparison. If player development is so easy to predict, then you wouldn't have Salah right now as Chelsea would have compared him to some great late bloomer and kept him in their Redbox business. Kane was not that great in his days going out on loan. Welbeck gained more gametime at PL level on loan, and looked ready for PL. Guess what? Welbeck was not that great.

And Brewster was loaned to Swansea, not Derby...

Irrational.

As if Liverpool have made all their money back on Thiago by selling an unproven no-name striker who has had 0 PL starts and 0 goals. :lol:

They literally can do no wrong at the moment.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I always thought Palace and Brighton would be in for him this summer. They are clubs needing to take a gamble on a goalscorer.

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
Big weight lifted already I feel. Can’t argue with the fee at all when you compare with other deals. Very excited about this.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
There's no chance the buyback is 30-35. Makes no sense at all.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Brewster is the real deal imo. Reckon he'd have replaced Origi by now it not for that year long injury. He lost too much development time to find a path into our squad after that.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I always thought Palace and Brighton would be in for him this summer. They are clubs needing to take a gamble on a goalscorer.
Palace have in fairness. As shit an all rounder as Michy is he should get a good 10-15 goals if he's a regular in the side.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Palace have in fairness. As shit an all rounder as Michy is he should get a good 10-15 goals if he's a regular in the side.
Oh yea, I forgot he went there. Brighton certainly, as he fits their ‘Graham Potter is so revolutionary with these exciting young players’ model too.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
I’ve been really impressed by his time at Swansea. He came in at January and that can always be tricky, especially for a team which doesn’t create that many chances for the forward, but he fitted in straight away.

He’s a very positive striker, someone that could miss a fair few chances in a game without seemingly losing any confidence in his runs or his shooting. He’s also happy to rough it out with big physical CBs, add in his finishing and it makes him a very hard player to deal with over the 90.

His hold up game isn’t great. I’m not sure how much was down to tactical reasons but he’s always so keen to make things happen and this can devolve into him giving the ball away continuously with poor passing. He has a habit of attempting flicks in attacking areas and while I liked the confidence the execution was often pretty wank. In his defense he didn’t have much time at Swansea to get used to the other players and their styles and I think he was given a lot of freedom in high areas as Swansea struggled when facing a low block. It will be a part of his game he needs to round out to some extent though.

Good signing for Sheffield.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
I've never seen anything much in him. There's a number of better young England strikers around for my money but Sheffield really need a player of his type and I think he'll do ok there. Liverpool have their pants down though judging by the deal that's being talked about.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Great deal for Liverpool there.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yea, he doesn’t develop players right?

I respect his approach. Even if an academy player is ‘good’ - they have to be ‘good enough’ to get into his team. They aren’t just romantically attached to all youth players. Neco Williams and Curtis Jones have been put into the squad.

If it were United, all of Brewster, Harry Wilson, Solanke and co would all be in our squad in the name of ‘tradition’. These players are not good enough for title winning sides.
Yeah, he’s played those two loads, right?

He’s had opportunities to develop young players and hasn’t taken them, like, at all. I’m willing to bet by the time he leaves he won’t have brought any more through than he has now, unless his hand is forced by injury.

Last edited:

Blades1889

Supports
Sheffield United
I've never seen anything much in him. There's a number of better young England strikers around for my money but Sheffield really need a player of his type and I think he'll do ok there. Liverpool have their pants down though judging by the deal that's being talked about.
Out of curiosity, who?