Ricky Gervais' Golden Globes Monologue

Excal

Political jokes are boring; you lot just think it's funny because you're told it's funny.
:rolleyes:

Who tells you it's funny? David Letterman, he throws it down your necks. He spends more times firing off 'jokes' at the start of his show (which usually goes through to the middle of his show) than he does actually interview his guests.
Can't stand Letterman as an interviewer or a comedian. But do go on explaining how I prefer political jokes to "Tom Cruise is gay" jokes because I'm told they're funny.

In the UK, celebrities are the fodder for satire
Yes, here as well, and if you're such a fan of Letterman or any of the late night talk show types, you'd hear as many jokes about celebrities as you do about politics, if not more.

Meanwhile, what about Gervais' jokes were satirical? He wasn't satirizing anyone, he was insulting them, and that's fine, but as I said, the jokes weren't that funny.

No, but Letterman set the scene for political jokes in the manner he does to the extreme he does causing the States of the American Republic of formerly Great British Rule to think that this is the only form of humour.
Amazing. You think Letterman is the primary influence on political comedy in this country, and despite this shockingly ignorant opinion, you think you're qualified to tell me why I think a particular bit of comedy is or isn't funny. :wenger:

Mihajlovic

Its Baltic!
I cannnot see how attempting to make a joke about a person's alcoholism problem could possibly be funny.

Tevez's Mum

Kia Joorabchian's Ho!
He was funny. knocked some of them off their high horses, even if it was just for one night. There was no malice in it, and I'm sure non of them were too offended by the jokes.

He is edgy and is always going to push the limits, if they didn't want that then they wouldn't of hired him again.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I respect him for taking a risk. It would be easy to go up there, play the game with tame in-jokes, and get safe movies on the back of it. He'll probably get work through it anyway as it's raised his profile, but it's the riskier route and shows he has some integrity left.

That said, posters are right to say the quality of Colbert's material and performance is in a completely different class.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
An uneasy mix between cringeworthy and hilarious....just like everything else he's ever done.

Truth be told, he should be able to say what he likes even though some of it (Downey Jr, Gibson pop shots) was a bit weak. I'm sure he's got a sense of humour about the dross he's made since he started doing movies.

Erics_Collar

Downey Jr didnt look too impressed allot of them didnt but De Niro looked like he loved it he even had ago at a few people during his speech.
De Niro and Gervais are actually good friends since Bobby did a cameo in Extras. So Gervais claims anyway :lol:

Brophs

The One and Only
An uneasy mix between cringeworthy and hilarious....just like everything else he's ever done.

Truth be told, he should be able to say what he likes even though some of it (Downey Jr, Gibson pop shots) was a bit weak. I'm sure he's got a sense of humour about the dross he's made since he started doing movies.
He'd need to. Of the three films he starred in (Ghost Town, Invention of Lying and Cemetery Junction) only Cemetery Junction was good. The others were poor, safe attempts at cracking America.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I thought it was all a bit watered down actually. Would much prefer to see Frankie Boyle host it; now THAT would be good!!!!

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
He overdid it but I liked where he was trying to take the thing. The crowd did not seem impressed after abit.

acnumber9

The jokes just weren't that funny. If he wants to make a Charlie Sheen joke, great, but just recounting a Charlie Sheen incident and following that up with "and that was just Monday. What does he do for New Year's?" is pathetic.

Besides, if we're going to talk about roasting famous blokes, give me Colbert at the White House Correspondents' Association Dinner in 2006 with then-President Bush all of six fecking feet away from him, saying things like:
I found one of those jokes funny. That's the thing about comedy, there's something for everyone.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
I loved it, he made a major awards show be as uncomfortably funny as the office and extras.

Gambit

Desperately wants to be a Muppet
He overdid it but I liked where he was trying to take the thing. The crowd did not seem impressed after abit.
It was great, never seen such an awkward looking bunch in my life.

Rams

aspiring to be like Ryan Giggs
I thought the so called uncomfortable ones, like Downey JR and Tom Hanks, were all in it and actually played along with Gervais. Once again the press was getting the wrong end of the stick.

I wonder who Gervais meant by the gay Scientology actors?

Biscuit1871

I thought the so called uncomfortable ones, like Downey JR and Tom Hanks, were all in it and actually played along with Gervais. Once again the press was getting the wrong end of the stick.

I wonder who Gervais meant by the gay Scientology actors?
Definitely not Tom Cruise.

Eriku

I respect him for taking a risk. It would be easy to go up there, play the game with tame in-jokes, and get safe movies on the back of it. He'll probably get work through it anyway as it's raised his profile, but it's the riskier route and shows he has some integrity left.

That said, posters are right to say the quality of Colbert's material and performance is in a completely different class.
Oh, no doubt... Then again, if he'd gone up and done something like that he'd get the hook for being totally off topic. It wasn't the stage for anything long-drawn like that.

How many infractions can you get in Hollywood?

Seveneric

I thought he was amazing, it's a pity the Grammy's doesn't do hosting. I'd pay good money to watch him do the same to people like Kanye West, 50 or Eminem. They'll probably end up flipping him the finger and walking out, then ranting on twitter after.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
They knew excatly what they were going to get when the booked Gervais for this thing and it's worked. It's made news all over the world.

I thought some of the jokes were more nasty than clever but that's just a taste thing. They should have got Dennis Pennis to present and saved some money.

B Cantona

Desperate
I watched the highlights, he had me laughing. I'm not his biggest fan, I loved the Office but I think his stand up is hit and miss... I don't think the audience reaction was that bad. Tim Allen and Tom Hanks for instance, from what I read it seemed they were pissed with him, just seemed like they were giving a bit of banter back to me. Was only really Downey Jr who seemed particularly perturbed, and that was probably the riskiest joke of the night

They want people watching and I bet it got them after last year. And I imagine if they book him again next year the viewing figures will be even greater. That's what they're after for their no mark award show after all

Legendz

Ricky Gervais' Targets Come to His Defense

What some of the stars said.

and Rickys blog:

Back in New York. From 80 degrees to 20 in a few hours. Still it was nice to get a bit of winter sun. OK. I can explain. Ellen gave me them and ask me to wear them for the Golden Globes. How could I refuse.
This is me before I popped on the old tux.
See. It’s not weird at all is it?

I enjoyed the Globes more this year. I think I had better gags. More along the lines of the Mel Gibson one last year.

Obviously the rumour that the organizers stopped me going out on stage for an hour is rubbish. I did every link I was scheduled to do. The reason why the gaps were uneven is because when I got the rundown I was allowed to choose who I presented to. I obviously chose the spots that I had the best gags for. They couldn’t move around the order but I could move around however I wanted.

All the same conspiracy theories as last year too… “So and so was offended”… “hasn’t been invited back yet”… exactly the same as last time. “Paul McCartney was furious”… no he wasn’t. And nor was Tim Allen and Tom Hanks. I was drinking with them after.

Why do people have to embellish? They’re allowed to say they hated it. They’re allowed to say they didn’t find it funny, that it was tasteless, over the top, or whatever. But why do they speculate and make stuff up?

Don’t worry, I know the answer. Because it’s more interesting than “it went fine and some people won some awards and then went to a party”. But that’s all that happened.

Actually, I see what they mean. Boring. So here’s what really happened. Bruce Willis and Sly Stallone started a fight with me but Alec Baldwin and Mark Walberg stepped in and helped me out. That’s what happened.

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
I find this stuff boring. It's not subversive, it's an establishment tradition. They expect it, they embrace it and Gervais is part of the same celebrity establishment he's pretending to destroy.

It's not shocking, he's not sticking it to the man. For all the personal insults and seemingly shocking content, it's actually a very conservative routine.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I find this stuff boring. It's not subversive, it's an establishment tradition. They expect it, they embrace it and Gervais is part of the same celebrity establishment he's pretending to destroy.

It's not shocking, he's not sticking it to the man. For all the personal insults and seemingly shocking content, it's actually a very conservative routine.
It's not remotely shocking, I agree, but the real problem here is that it's not remotely funny either. All the punch-lines were obvious from the moment he set them up.