Riddle me this...Weird sht

UpWithRivers

Is it just me or are there things that you only see with Man Utd. Do other teams have these problems to the degree we do.

Every single goal post lockdown has been a result of a mistake. Every single one. De Gea letting the ball in. Pogba losing the ball and now hand balling cos he doesnt want to hurt his face. Maguire and Lindelof missing basic defensive mistakes and on and on

Long term deals for players and as soon as they do they go sht. Mata - 3 years. Havnt seen him again. Tuanzebe - gone/injured. Matic - 3 years then completley sht. McTominay hasnt been the same after signing new contract. Even when Martial signed a new contract he dropped form. Same as Rashford.

Cant play out from the back. Everyone saying we dont have the players. Seriously? Even West Ham, Southampton etc can play out from the back. Do any other top teams have this issue?

Tired - Played the same games as everyone else. Chelsea worked their arses off and fought against the scousers. Ok they lost. But there was no we're tired excuses. It was the exact same thing last year. Oles main goal when he signed was to have the fittest team. Is it only our team thats not fit?

Players that are world beaters one minute then sht the next. This could be the fact they are young but we have no players that are consistently good year in year out. Probably Shaw has been the same level for a while. Well last year and he has had a good year this year. De Gea was our most consistent player and now has gone to sht. Everyone else has been up and down. Even Pogba who doesnt have the excuse of being too young. You cant put your house on any one of these players having a good season. This goes for new signings as well. They always seem to drop off the cliff at some point. At the moment its Fred - Contender for team of the season. Now he's no good. Brandon - Everyone said he should play instead of Shaw. Now look at him. McTominay - Lauded as the best player since Keane. Now look at him. Wan B is having a stinker - another contender for player of the season. De Gea - WTF! and on and on

What else? Is it just because we are over critical or does it seem we have some weird sht that drives you nuts.

Last edited:

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Every fan notices the shortcomings of their own team far more than the shortcomings of other teams.

One of my best friends is a City fan. He bitches about them playing out from the back & thinks half the team aren’t good enough.

No football fan is ever truly completely satisfied. Even in our glory days we’d still moan about certain things Fergie did. I remember my Dad’s rants about our shortcomings the year we won the treble. He saw Schmeichel as finished & dodgy. It’s normal.

Dan_F

Unless you watch every game for a certain team, you’ll not notice stuff as much as with United. Even then, you’ll probably not be focused so much on one team, more on the game itself.

Just to highlight one point about this from your list, Southampton barely played out from the back against us. They went long all the time. Just because they were pressing high up the pitch, it gives the impression that they are good with the ball.

UpWithRivers

Is it just me or are there things that you only see with Man Utd. Do other teams have these problems to the degree we do.

Every single goal post lockdown has been a result of a mistake. Every single one. De Gea letting the ball in. Pogba losing the ball and now hand balling cos he doesnt want to hurt his face. Maguire and Lindelof missing basic defensive mistakes and on and on

Long term deals for players and as soon as they do they go sht. Mata - 3 years. Havnt seen him again. Tuanzebe - gone/injured. Matic - 3 years then completley sht. McTominay hasnt been the same after signing new contract. Even when Martial signed a new contract he dropped form. Same as Rashford.

Cant play out from the back. Everyone saying we dont have the players. Seriously? Even West Ham, Southampton etc can play out from the back. Do any other top teams have this issue?

Tired - Played the same games as everyone else. Chelsea worked their arses off and fought against the scousers. Ok they lost. But there was no we're tired excuses. It was the exact same thing last year. Oles main goal when he signed was to have the fittest team. Is it only our team thats not fit?

Players that are world beaters one minute then sht the next. This could be the fact they are young but we have no players that are consistently good year in year out. Probably Shaw has been the same level for a while. Well last year and he has had a good year this year. De Gea was our most consistent player and now has gone to sht. Everyone else has been up and down. Even Pogba who doesnt have the excuse of being too young. You cant put your house on any one of these players having a good season. This goes for new signings as well. They always seem to drop off the cliff at some point. At the moment its Fred - Contender for team of the season. Now he's no good. Brandon - Everyone said he should play instead of Shaw. Now look at him. McTominay - Lauded as the best player since Keane. Now look at him. Wan B is having a stinker - another contender for player of the season. De Gea - WTF! and on and on

What else? Is it just because we are over critical or does it seem we have some weird sht that drives you nuts.
We are not special. Happens to everyone.
Every fan notices the shortcomings of their own team far more than the shortcomings of other teams.

One of my best friends is a City fan. He bitches about them playing out from the back & thinks half the team aren’t good enough.

No football fan is ever truly completely satisfied. Even in our glory days we’d still moan about certain things Fergie did. I remember my Dad’s rants about our shortcomings the year we won the treble. He saw Schmeichel as finished & dodgy. It’s normal.
Little thing called confirmation bias...
Yeah. Every team has the same. And I remember poor performances and weird sht under Sir Alex. But to this degree. Have you ever seen a team concede what 10 goals and every single one being self inflicted? Man City cant play out of the back...ok. But have you seen a whole team fail to pass a ball 5 yards. Even a world cup winner in Pogba making a very simple mistake. And not just once. repeatedly. All of them. Have you ever seen a whole team loose form to the degree we have. From looking world beaters to the point we cant even make simple passes. Cant make simple headers. Cant save basic shots. And repeatedly. Mistakes happen. Form drops. But to this degree?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We aren't a well coached team. We have our moments and phases where we look a proper side, and hopefully 2020 has seen a genuine shift in this regard. But in general we just aren't a cohesive and well oiled football side.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons

This is all very true.

One thing that really stick with me is how unhappy so many people were on here throughout Fergie's time in charge. From our crap central midfield compared to everyone else, to the outrage of only playing one up top, "tinkerbell" squad rotation, John O'Shea in central midfield, Carlos Querozzzzz etc etc etc. Oh what we'd give to have those "problems" all over again...

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
This is all very true.

One thing that really stick with me is how unhappy so many people were on here throughout Fergie's time in charge. From our crap central midfield compared to everyone else, to the outrage of only playing one up top, "tinkerbell" squad rotation, John O'Shea in central midfield, Carlos Querozzzzz etc etc etc. Oh what we'd give to have those "problems" all over again...
Indeed. I lurked on this place for years before joining. There was a lot frustrations with his transfer policy & people were far from pleased with the playing style for the last 3-4 years of his tenure.

Slow static zombie passing it was called. I also remember the shouts to drop VDS for Foster.

Rolledo

Yeah, I do remember moaning a bit about RVN playing up front on his own.

UpWithRivers

Most goals are the result of mistakes and by multiple players across the pitch.
Yeah but usually not basic ridiculous errors and even the ones that are are not repeated across the team 10 plus times.
Tottenham - Ran through our defense and DE Gea failed to save easy shot
Norwich - De Gea should have saved it/ defense should have closed down
Bournemouth - 1st goal -Through Maguires legs and De Gea beaten near post. 2nd Goal - Bailey weird handball for no reason.
Southampton - 1st Goal - Pogba gives away ball just outside our own box. 2nd Goal - 95th minute! Or whatever it was. Missed header by Maguire and Lindelof wrong side of Martins.
West Ham - Pogba hand ball

You telling me teams give away these comical ridiculous goals all the time. 10 times in a row! Maybe teams at the bottom but we're third! And we have a good defensive record. And this happens? I have never seen a team keep conceding goals like this one after the other. Yeah every now and again but common.

DRM

There is no logical or sane explanation. This is the post fergie curse. We enjoyed over two decades of success under the great man. Now it's our turn in the doldrums, it's our turn to suffer. We could bring in Jesus Christ himself and we'd still be shite.

My only hope is that when my kids grow up they get to see man utd lifting the PL trophy again!

Classical Mechanic

Yeah but usually not basic ridiculous errors and even the ones that are are not repeated across the team 10 plus times.
Tottenham - Ran through our defense and DE Gea failed to save easy shot
Norwich - De Gea should have saved it/ defense should have closed down
Bournemouth - 1st goal -Through Maguires legs and De Gea beaten near post. 2nd Goal - Bailey weird handball for no reason.
Southampton - 1st Goal - Pogba gives away ball just outside our own box. 2nd Goal - 95th minute! Or whatever it was. Missed header by Maguire and Lindelof wrong side of Martins.
West Ham - Pogba hand ball

You telling me teams give away these comical ridiculous goals all the time. 10 times in a row! Maybe teams at the bottom but we're third! And we have a good defensive record. And this happens? I have never seen a team keep conceding goals like this one after the other. Yeah every now and again but common.
DDG kicking it against Calvert-Lewin or Pogba's handball last night are ridiculous errors. Most of the goals that we've conceded do not fall into that category.

Look at Liverpool last night, the greatest defence in the league right? For the Giroud goal VVD follows the ball and leaves Giroud for a tap in. On one of the goals VVD and Gomez bumped into each other and both fell on their arses! If you think that the second goal against Southampton was ridiculous then I don't know what to say.

UpWithRivers

DDG kicking it against Calvert-Lewin or Pogba's handball last night are ridiculous errors. Most of the goals that we've conceded do not fall into that category.

Look at Liverpool last night, the greatest defence in the league right? For the Giroud goal VVD follows the ball and leaves Giroud for a tap in. On one of the goals VVD and Gomez bumped into each other and both fell on their arses! If you think that the second goal against Southampton was ridiculous then I don't know what to say.
The second Southampton one was ridiculous simply for the fact that we conceded it in the last seconds of the game. Literally all we had to was hold out for 5 more seconds. Thats just really really bad. Ridiculous you might say.

And yes Liverpool too and everyone else concede bad goals. But not consecutively match after match after match. That's my point.

Red Stone

We see teams being shit every week, but it only rankles us when it's our team. Plenty of other teams in the league that piss and moan about how poor they are. Arsenal have had the same problems for years and years and they only seem to be getting worse. Chelsea's defence is absolutt trash this season and they're splurging money on attacking talent. Spurs are miles away from where they were in Pochettino's best periods and their manager is a cnut. Even the good teams have their glaring weaknesses and the odd poor game, and we're no different, although our particular weaknesses might be unique to us. At the end of the day we're third and hold our fortunes entirely in our own hands. That's better than most.

arnie_ni

The goals annoy me. I cant remember the last time we let in a goal and i thought, nothing can be done about that.

Every goal there is a glaring mistake.

Shiva87

It's a good sign that the goals we are conceding are coming out of mistakes. Shows that we have massively improved defensively. 12 months ago - we just looked like conceding goals every time an opponent had an attack, and we were defensively poor. Most times, you could not point to one mistake but 3 or 4 of them.

I think its progression. We have become better structurally. Now we need to cut out the individual errors. Teams go through this during a transition. (Look at Klopp's team before VVD). Once we sort our issue in CB - and get a few more quality squad players (in defense and attack) we should be fine.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Opposition corners constantly landing in the middle of our box. And by landing I mean fully dropping down into it. For years.