Ridiculous offside decisions

IRELANDUNITED

I was re watching the treble season and I totally forgot about the first FA cup semi final match against Arsenal. Keane scored what looked to be a perfectly good goal and the linesman's decision to rule it out is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. It's probably not spoken about as much now because the replay was only of the greatest ever cup games full of drama and of course that goal from Giggs. This is the only video I could find of the offside, skip to the 10:00 and you'll see it. Anyone else recall totally bizarre offside decisions or refereeing decisions in general?

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
That's insane :lol:

I guess the linesman thought Giggs had passed to the United player that was offside rather than taking it around the defender himself?

milemuncher777

formerly kid777

Henry Goal. Skip to 2:10

Guess what Martin Atkinson was inept even in those days.

Harry190

Bobby ten Hag

Cost us the league IIRC
Was gonna bring this up.

Let's not forget the Scholes goal disallowed against Porto. It wasn't ridiculous because it was a bit tight but still obviously not offside.

That goal changes the life of Jose Mourinho.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner

Cost us the league IIRC
If I remember the goal we scored in that game was a blatant handball but I suppose this decision didn’t help with our title challenge, no. Shocking decision.

Offside

The worst I’ve seen was a Spurs v Sunderland game a few years ago where the player wasn’t only miles behind the last defender when the ball was played but he was also in his own half. Everyone was baffled.

Here it is below. fecking shocking.

Rasendori

Man Of Culture
Milan and Juventus were both vying for the Serie A title in 2011/12 and Muntari's goal would have given them a 2-0 lead. Juve managed to score an equaliser around 3 minutes later to make the crucial game finish 1-1. Juventus finished the season unbeaten, 4 points separating the two. The equaliser having a galvanising influence considering Milan would have been four points ahead of Juventus. Milan after a couple of season capitulated whilst Juve have won the Serie A consecutively ever since.

Should be 16 seconds in.

Anyone else recall totally bizarre offside decisions or refereeing decisions in general?

Clive deliberately blows for final whistle as Zico scores

Now for a more recent example ... as much as I thoroughly enjoyed the drama between Spurs and Chelsea, there's no escaping the fact that Clattenburg deliberately prioritised his reputation over the safety of Chelsea's players.

Spurs players taking out their frustration on the exploits of Leicester by just lashing out at the Chelsea players. Clattenburg eventually admitted he didn't want to send a Spurs player off, as he would be stated as the reason why Spurs didn't win the EPL.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
The worst I’ve seen was a Spurs v Sunderland game a few years ago where the player wasn’t only miles behind the last defender when the ball was played but he was also in his own half. Everyone was baffled.

That’s possibly the worst decision I have ever seen.

arnie_ni

Is this not something to do with being ahead of the kepper? Thought there was some odd offside rule in that scenario

Jack-C20

I’m not a rules buff but what’s the rule with the keeper being last man? Not even sure if it’s relevant when in your own half to be honest. My only explanation as that’s nuts.

BazzaBear

Definately Banned

It's completely immaterial, because as you say he's in his own half so can't be offside. But...

you need to have 2 players goalside of you to not be offside, not 1. It's just that usually one of them is the goalie.

So in that video, had he not been in his own half, he would indeed have been offside.

Anyway, back to the OP - I had completely forgotten that game and that goal, but on watching it I immediately recalled the incredulity when Giggs was given offside for passing to himself.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Is this not something to do with being ahead of the kepper? Thought there was some odd offside rule in that scenario
I’m not a rules buff but what’s the rule with the keeper being last man? Not even sure if it’s relevant when in your own half to be honest. My only explanation as that’s nuts.
You have to have 2 opposition players ahead/on the line with you for it not to be offside, but in 95% times keeper is one of them. The rules don't specify whenever it should be a keeper + 1 or 2 field players. But it doesn't work in your own half, you can't be offside in your own half.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
This thread is why - despite all the issues - I love VAR and hope it stays and improves.

The mentioned Scholes one is a real sickener. That first Keane one is ludicrous too.

Linesmen do have hard jobs, but some of these...wow.

harms

Staff
I know no one cares about this, and I shouldn't either, but this is the one I'm always angry about. Simply because it would've been one of the greatest assists ever, considering the year it was made in.

What's even worse, there's a third player even further down on the left.

harms

Staff
As for the OP — I literally have no explanation for this aside from the one from below, which would be absolutely insane :lol:

I guess the linesman thought Giggs had passed to the United player that was offside rather than taking it around the defender himself?

I love that they've paused for offside in the first replay right when defender got behind the column, not that it changes anything!

kidbob

What the hell is the Zico decision. How can the ref blow for full time as the ball comes in from a corner? :lol:

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Gerd Müller scored a second goal in the 1974 WC final (scene starts at 0:30):

About 2 m onside, pretty incredible when watching in slow mo.

Offside

It's completely immaterial, because as you say he's in his own half so can't be offside. But...

you need to have 2 players goalside of you to not be offside, not 1. It's just that usually one of them is the goalie.

So in that video, had he not been in his own half, he would indeed have been offside.

Anyway, back to the OP - I had completely forgotten that game and that goal, but on watching it I immediately recalled the incredulity when Giggs was given offside for passing to himself.
Fair enough. It’s still absolutely obvious he’s in his own half.

Robertd0803

Drogba at Old Trafford not being given as offside :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
Scholes vs Porto being offside.

stewm

How about one the other way round? Leeds v West Brom in the early 70s - West Brom scored when miles offside , goal given, Leeds lost the league.

Jack-C20

You have to have 2 opposition players ahead/on the line with you for it not to be offside, but in 95% times keeper is one of them. The rules don't specify whenever it should be a keeper + 1 or 2 field players. But it doesn't work in your own half, you can't be offside in your own half.
:lol: So it really was just that bad of a decision then. Bloody hell it’s almost unbelievable.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
What was up with the Zico goal/whistle? Why even let Brazil take the kick in the first place? Almost like the ref had a wager on the match.

Chelsea/Spurs match... imagine the carnage if a side pulled those shenanigans against the 93-94 side with Bruce, Cantona, Hughes, Keane, etc.

Fingeredmouse

That's a perfectly valid goal surely? You can't be offside in your own half. Am I missing something?

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
What the hell is the Zico decision. How can the ref blow for full time as the ball comes in from a corner? :lol:
So Brazil is forced to be in Argentina's group, where they can work out a way to go through on goal difference as opposed to facing them in elimination stage.

Most corrupt world cup ever

Web of Bissaka

Linesman thought Vert just crossed the halfway line when the pass is made.

No VAR to help back then. To be fair it's very close, we have advantage of replays.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I was re watching the treble season and I totally forgot about the first FA cup semi final match against Arsenal. Keane scored what looked to be a perfectly good goal and the linesman's decision to rule it out is one of the most bizarre I have ever seen. It's probably not spoken about as much now because the replay was only of the greatest ever cup games full of drama and of course that goal from Giggs. This is the only video I could find of the offside, skip to the 10:00 and you'll see it. Anyone else recall totally bizarre offside decisions or refereeing decisions in general?

Classic United getting all the decisions.

More like the usual situation where because we won all the ABU forgot such a scandalous call.

How did the linesman explain it to the ref?
"Well, Giggs knocked it into the corner..erm to himself..then played it behind himself into the box". Typical Elleray crap reffing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

It's the being in his own half that's the issue.

Not the defender issue, as with the keeper upfield you only have one defensive player behind the ball. And you need two to not be offside.
That's clearly what confused the linesman

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's a perfectly valid goal surely? You can't be offside in your own half. Am I missing something?
The linesman has incorrectly thought Vert has gone into the attacking half and as there was only one defensive player thought it offside.
But obvs we can see with the footage he receives in his own half.

Fingeredmouse

The linesman has incorrectly thought Vert has gone into the attacking half and as there was only one defensive player thought it offside.
But obvs we can see with the footage he receives in his own half.
Ah! It was not awarded as a goal!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
This has to be the worst:

The single biggest problem with offsides is that it's impossible to look at both the kicker and the line at the same time.
At normal speed you can see why the lino got that wrong as the striker's movement is absolutely supreme.
By the time the linesman has looked up the striker is a yard or two beyond the defender