Right Winger... Who do we go for?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MadMike

Personally I'd stay clear of Pulisic for a good while. Let him develop and mature more as a player first. We have enough youngsters in our forward line as it is. I'd go for Mahrez who is a proven player in this League and would cost much much less than what Pulisic would cost. Dortmund would try to fleece us for upwards of 100m like they did with Barca and Dembele. We could get Mahrez for £40m.

But money aside for a sec, we know for a fact how good a motivated Mahrez can be in the right team. He was POTY in the EPL with Leicester. Pulisic has shown some great potential but nothing on that level yet. He might reach that level but he might not as well. And one concern I have is that AMs seem to do very well at Dortmund (Kagawa, Mkhi as examples), but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily adapt well here. I'm not saying that Pulisic will certainly be a failure, but there is a higher risk there for sure.

Rossa

Personally I'd stay clear of Pulisic for a good while. Let him develop and mature more as a player first. We have enough youngsters in our forward line as it is. I'd go for Mahrez who is a proven player in this League and would cost much much less than what Pulisic would cost. Dortmund would try to fleece us for upwards of 100m like they did with Barca and Dembele. We could get Mahrez for £40m.

But money aside for a sec, we know for a fact how good a motivated Mahrez can be in the right team. He was POTY in the EPL with Leicester. Pulisic has shown some great potential but nothing on that level yet. He might reach that level but he might not as well. And one concern I have is that AMs seem to do very well at Dortmund (Kagawa, Mkhi as examples), but that doesn't mean they'll necessarily adapt well here. I'm not saying that Pulisic will certainly be a failure, but there is a higher risk there for sure.
I kind of agree. Obviously, I want Pulisic when playing FIFA, but feck it, I can just buy him. We have enough speed in attack. What we need is someone who can provide those quick players with brilliant through balls and at the same time can dribble and find space in tight areas. I think Mahrez can do that. I'm not convinced about him, but it could work. I don't get those saying he's rapid though - he really isn't.

koop

I wouldn't mind Mahrez tbh, although I do like Kingsley Coman alot too.

If certain speculation is correct and Griezmann picks us over Barca then I guess he could play RW?
If all else fails, we potentially have Bale(If he's fit):rolleyes:

beingshe7don

United seem to be interested in Bale. I dunno if it's because Griezmann has chosen to join Barca instead which is why the media has been strong in linking us with Bale. Either way, Woodward would probably like another marquee signing like Bale.

If Bale can regain full fitness... He wouldn't be a bad shout for the RW who cuts in and shoots while Valencia overlaps him. Getting Bale and Savic and a LB wouldn't be bad business at alll

jesskan60

If we go for a left footed right winger who will cut inside then we need a upgrade at the right fullback position.
We need one who can cross, Valencia can't.
I like Meunier from PSG.

YouOnlyLiveTwice

I wonder if Mourinho is planning to go for Willian in January. He is not a certain starter at Chelsea, so he must be growing a bit frustrated.

It has been reported for a long time that Mourinho would like him here at Utd, so you never know.

Lucas Moura will likely be available, but i'm not sure if he is the right fit for this side.

Kweku Amonoo

We do not need a right winger. Or at least we didn't, until Jose decided to persevere with his antiquated 4-2-3-1 system. We did not need Matic. Herrera was immense at 6 last season. Even broke into the Spanish team in that position as a result. The United team after last season, was made for 3-5-2. A right back is what we need most now. Shaw looks to be getting fitter and gaining confidence.

If I was Jose, I'd go for Thomas Meunier of psg. Amazing rb who seems out of favor at his club. Recall Pereira, that boy is good. With game time and proper coaching, he could become our Modric.

Martial----Rashford

Shaw-----Pogba------Pereira----Meunier

---Herrera---

Blind------Smalling-------Lindelof

---De Gea---

Jaybomb

I'd have him back, think he got a lot of stick, some deserved but too much imo and still does. Would he come back to England is another question..
As would I. Love watching him play. He’s exactly what we need on the right.

And he only left because LVG froze him out anyway. Having said that I don’t think he’d come back to England.

ADM is not wanted at Utd, you have short memories of you can’t recall the guy wanted out as soon as he arrived, he’s as toxic as you get and cost us a pretty fortune to get rid. Can’t see Ed authorising this, his fingers have already been burned.

ti vu

I'd have him back, think he got a lot of stick, some deserved but too much imo and still does. Would he come back to England is another question..
He deserved every stick. No heart feeling if he is back and redeem himself. Him in best shape and form is exactly the type of winger we need. Hard to see it happen though, especially on Di Maria wants to returns to Manchester.

Bestietom

It seems now that Malcom is favoured for the RW. We will see in the next few weeks. I think myself we will bring in 2/3 players. LB,RW, and a Playmaker, hopefully..

ManUtdFanSince

So we've finally arrived at the likes of Bale and Di Maria. If either are true then I'll believe that United just have a gluttony for punishment. We just love spending on players that are doomed to be failures/constantly injured.
Bale has more calf problems than a veal farmer...we should 'steer' well clear...

davidmichael

Starting to think we’ll actually sign Bale this summer as well as Ozil, think Real want shot whilst Jose and Ed are both known HUGE fans of Bale although I’d rather we signed Mahrez and Malcolm because of Bale’s seemingly constant injury problems.

Stacks

The right winger needs to be the right profile. He needs to be able to follow instructions, including spending the majority of specific games in an unnatural defensive role in some games. He also needs to be comfortable being an "all hands on deck" guy when the going gets tough and be able to cope with games when he hardly gets the ball but must still make an impact. Players like Salah (as much as he is praised) isn't right for our system. It isn't going to be attack attack attack every game and they need to be fairly efficient/clinical. They need to be a Jose profile player (which isn't necessarily the best or most flairy player). keep that in mind. Someone like Nani would not suit.

Bojan11

Badly need a right winger. All our attacks come down the left and when that is blocked off we look clueless.

Dogaholic

Hate hearing Bale's name. If he was to come to us, it should have been earlier. Madrid will try to squeeze blood from a stone with the fee and he's broken down too often.

Mahrez, Pullisic, Coman.

zenith

Mahrez would be great for us at RW, but that would mean us sticking to 4-2-3-1, which really seems a bit outdated. Would much prefer a 3-5-2 with proper wing backs.

Bulldogg

People who keep saying Malcom along with with some other kids are deluded and play too much fifa, we all ready have young talents like Rashford and Martial in our squad. We need to sign an established star not a young talented prospect from the french league and hope he solves our creating issues from the right wing. We are Manchester United not an under 21 side.

I'm all for signing these young talents at 19/20yo if we have an established squad and plan on using them as rotation players until we feel they are ready to make an impact as starters but currently we are not an established side and need some real star quality in the final 3rd, we are a team that has aspirations to win CL and PL titles, we will not to this with kids.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raoul

Bulldogg

Pulisic could actually reach Hazard's level. I wouldn't mind taking a punt on him. The guy is a United fan and would do well.

I think we need to go out and get Weigl and Pulisic when Dortmund are vulnerable. Probably toss in Mhiki in the deals.

Weigl (Matic rotation/ Carrick replacement)
Pulisic (Difference maker on the RW)
Savic (Pogba backup and would complement POgba as well)
Rose (Obvious)

Our strongest 11
---- Martial -------- Lukaku -------- Pulisic ----
-------- Savic ------------------ Pogba ---------
------------------- Weigl ------------------------
Rose ----------------------------------- Valencia
---------- Bailly ---------- Lindelof -------------
Why on earth would we buy a player to demote Matic (who we just signed) to the bench ??? Matic has been great for us and is clearly better then Weigl at this point in his career.

Last edited:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
It seems that some fans really love the Dortmund players. Apart from Lewandowski, is there another player who left them in the past 6-7 years to join a "bigger" team and improved his career ?

hungrywing

People who keep saying Malcom along with with some other kids are deluded and play too much fifa, we all ready have young talents like Rashford and Martial in our squad. We need to sign an established star not a young talented prospect from the french league and hope he solves our creating issues from the right wing. We are Manchester United not an under 21 side.

I'm all for signing these young talents at 19/20yo if we have an established squad and plan on using them as rotation players until we feel they are ready to make an impact as starters but currently we are not an established side and need some real star quality in the final 3rd, we are a team that has aspirations to win CL and PL titles, we will not to this with kids.
Taking this into account, Mahrez probably is the best solution at the moment.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
It seems that some fans really love the Dortmund players. Apart from Lewandowski, is there another player who left them in the past 6-7 years to join a "bigger" team and improved his career ?
I don't think there is any. Might change with Dembele move to Barca.

Godfather

Someone who can go past a man, whip in good crosses, has good pace on him and a great left foot.

Stacks

Mahrez is the answer.
Taking this into account, Mahrez probably is the best solution at the moment.
Can you see Marhrez tracking the fullback for an entire game and then racing forward to join the counter attack sparingly? I don't know if he has the discipline to do the role that Jose would ask of him. He seems heavily weighted to the final 3rd, kind of like Martial and I don't know if it is late in his career to change him. I could be completely wrong but it's something to consider. They can't just be great attacking wise. They have to be willing to sacrifice their own glory.

hungrywing

Can you see Marhrez tracking the fullback for an entire game and then racing forward to join the counter attack sparingly? I don't know if he has the discipline to do the role that Jose would ask of him. He seems heavily weighted to the final 3rd, kind of like Martial and I don't know if it is late in his career to change him. I could be completely wrong but it's something to consider. They can't just be great attacking wise. They have to be willing to sacrifice their own glory.
No and that's kind of the point. It would be about changing the philosophy:nervous: from the bolded part in this post from another thread:

Some very good points in there. I certainly agree with the notion that he needs to adapt his game to the particularities of modern football. I also believe he understands it and this maybe is the reason for his perpetual grumpiness over the last years. As i said in my first post, i don't expect him to completely change his ways but moderate alterations i'm sure he can think of. For instance, one of Tottenham's biggest strengths is that they tend to keep a relatively high defensive line and they apply pressing in the middle of the pitch. Not a very high line and not a very high press but it gets the job done in the sense that it allows them to win the ball in the middle of the park and hit the opposition right at its weakest point, between transitions (instead of going all the way back and then move the ball all the way up again as Fortitude mentioned in his post). I don't think that this is beyond his "teaching" capabilities or that it asks of him to betray his basic managerial principles. I'll wait and see what happens since this season i see a manager who at least acknowledges some things need fixing even though the changes he tries are not the ones some of us expect or wish.

I don't think he'll get a war chest from Woodward to buy himself the top side he wants. He'll get money for transfers all right, lots of it, but (for example) he won't get it to sign two world-class wingers when the club wants to invest on both Martial and Rashford. I might be wrong about this but i think this is one of the things for which he will have to find a solution on his own. I suspect that the final outcome of all minor to moderate alterations he will try in the attacking half of the pitch, because unlike LvG or Moyes he's started trying things, will play a big role in the pressure he will put on Woodward for transfers next summers and it will eventually determine his future relationship with the club (contract extension or not).

Having said that, i don't think that he's completely past it as some suggest. I acknowledge that the three most successful clubs in Europe lately, Real Madrid-Barcelona and Bayern Munich, play a far more pro-active type of football. It's also evident that all the more sides in the big European leagues attempt to make room in their starting lineups for more creative players instead of runners and hard workers. But, in the case of the three aforementioned clubs, we must also take into consideration that there are certain characteristics in the environments of their national leagues (separate TV deals in Spain, sugar daddies not allowed in Germany) which allow them to separate themselves from the rest of their competition and attract the cream of the crop out of pools of native talent that are currently much better than anything the island has to offer. Other than that, transition sides can be as antagonistic as the possession-based ones IMO. And i'm saying this as a fan of possesion football.

What i don't agree much with is that Mourinho doesn't teach any patterns of attacking play. I wrote in another thread that i can't believe that, in an era when any coaching staff has the means to watch and micro-analyze every bit of detail not only of a team's performance but of any individual player's performance, there's one single guy out there who's achieved being the most decorated manager over the last 15 years by simply neglecting what is basically half the game itself (the plays when a team has the ball). That's getting away with murder and i have watched so many of Mourinho's sides to believe that he's not getting away with murder.

What i believe is that this set of players can't execute his instructions to perfection. This doesn't mean that it's not a good set of players by any means, as some on here have suggested. Firstly, Mourinho's a very demanding and even draining, both physically and mentally, attacking plan. Because Mourinho is a defensive minded coach, he uses his astute defensive tactics to force the opponent to over commit players and then he wants the transitions to work with the bare minimum of players that are needed to complete the move from start to finish. This demands of the players very aggressive off the ball movement with dynamic-vertical runs, very quick thinking and exquisite technical skills. This is one difference (sometimes a strength, sometimes a weakness) he has from other transition/counter-attacking managers out there, Fergie included. You see, Ferguson always planned to take things from the second line of attack, from players from deeper positions. It's not that he prioritized attack over defense like some believe (it's never that simple) but he always relied on players from behind to contribute their share into pinning the opposition down and maintaining a high tempo/keeping a move alive and going. And by doing that he could rotate heavily and tinker with the players' roles because even the most important ones among them weren't the be-all end-all of his game plan. Whereas Mourinho drowned in a spoonful of water against Rafa's own parked bus twice and completely lost the plot against Dortmund when the most useful cog in his teams' wheel, Di Maria, missed the game.

But also keep in mind that when Ferguson came as close as he ever did to Mourinho's line of tactical thinking in 07-08 and 08-09 he was mostly successful. But then again he had an amazing attacking triangle and he often could afford to rotate Giggs and Scoles in their early 30's. Which i think would be Mou's line of defense, if someone showed him a thread like this one.

I think Mourinho can still make it work, one way or the other. I don't always like the football but for the first time in 5 years i (think i) can see what we're trying to do on the pitch even if it's not easy on the eye for many of us. But we'll see what happens, the next three games will tell us more about where we stand and what we can expect until the end of the season.
-to an area of contention that's generally further up the pitch. So in theory it would be with the intent that Mahrez forces the opposition not to commit their LB so much down that wing, freeing him up that much more from those defensive responsibilities. So you're right it would be about Jose changing his style. But as mentioned in that post you quoted, considering buying 'potential' players in the hopes that they 'might' work out and shelling out for some pie-in-the-sky 100m+ player, it does seem like Mahrez would be a good option to play it somewhere in the middle and see if it changes the opposition's work on that side of the pitch.

Then again, all his signings have been good to great, so if the Malcom rumors are true, hell, he could come in and light the place up.

Really curious as to how Perisic as the main supply line for Lukaku would have worked out.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We don't play all the games defensively, only against stronger teams away from home we do. Also regarding Mahrez's work rate, check the goal he scored vs Spurs and see where he started the move, it was near Leicester's box. Don't think he has work rate like Park or Valencia but it's good enough for such a flair player.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
Mahrez has it in him to work hard and defend. Its not like he lacks workrate and under Pearson he never had a problem defending. Its just at Leciester he knows he is now a top dog and so shirks some defensive duty nowadays.

Furthermore he is absolutely suited to counter attacking football and we are a counter attacking team. Plus he'd give us a constant goal and creative threat up the right flank. Which we have lacked since Fergie retired

Stacks

We don't play all the games defensively, only against stronger teams away from home we do. Also regarding Mahrez's work rate, check the goal he scored vs Spurs and see where he started the move, it was near Leicester's box. Don't think he has work rate like Park or Valencia but it's good enough for such a flair player.
I know this, but they have to do that enough times in a season that they would need that attribute to be a firm part of their arsenal. 5 away games vs rivals plus a few games where a mediocre team has us under the cosh for at least a half e.g. Southampton, Stoke and a few others. Home vs City (twice in a row), away in CL vs strong teams. There will be a dozen or more matches where Mahrez will need to show his discipline and defensive duties. I would say someone with Perisics mindset may be a better fit (not that I wouldn't prefer Mahrez).

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

No and that's kind of the point. It would be about changing the philosophy:nervous: from the bolded part in this post from another thread:

-to an area of contention that's generally further up the pitch. So in theory it would be with the intent that Mahrez forces the opposition not to commit their LB so much down that wing, freeing him up that much more from those defensive responsibilities. So you're right it would be about Jose changing his style. But as mentioned in that post you quoted, considering buying 'potential' players in the hopes that they 'might' work out and shelling out for some pie-in-the-sky 100m+ player, it does seem like Mahrez would be a good option to play it somewhere in the middle and see if it changes the opposition's work on that side of the pitch.

Then again, all his signings have been good to great, so if the Malcom rumors are true, hell, he could come in and light the place up.

Really curious as to how Perisic as the main supply line for Lukaku would have worked out.
I believe he wanted Perisic because he would have brought something different on the table. He's primarily a creative player, not a play-maker of any kind, but an option in the attacking half that will look to create for others more than himself. He's also a good crosser of the ball (with the left foot) and, in our case, good suggests that you can't allow him time and space to raise his head and aim. We don't have these qualities in our team. Both Rashford and Martial look more to create chances for themselves while Lukaku is at his best when he receives the ball at the end of moves and while facing the goal.

Most times (not always) Mourinho's attacking plan in the post-counter phase is based on overloading one side. He looks to open up spaces with off the ball movement and passes through a rhomboid shape that consists of the winger (who hugs the touchline), the #10, the more creative CM (in his 4231) and the forward (the FB has a more auxiliary role but can also contribute). The threat of a good cross draws opposition defenders and can potentially open up the channel between the FB and CB for our midfielder to run into. In our case, this player would have been Pogba. The threat from the wide areas would also make the CBs more alert of Lukaku's movement in the box.

Another strong aspect of Perisic's game is the diagonal off the ball movement towards the far post when the attacking play is happening on the other side of the pitch. This is a move that all our attacking options don't seem able to reproduce on a constant basis. In the end, Perisic isn't a world class player but he would have offered us three options that we currently can't create for ourselves: direct threat from out-wide, a good footballing brain among players who prefer to end moves rather than start them and the ability to stretch the opposition defense and open up spaces for others to attack. Just look at how we try to overload the left side in order to get one of Rash/Tony (mainly) in the half-space where they can cross it to Lukaku (again, mainly) at the far post. When we achieve this, it usually ends up with a goal (see our past few games, most of our not counter-attack goals come from that move). But because Lukaku can't contribute much in the link-up plays the positioning is very static (which makes it easier to defend against) and because we don't have a naturally left-footed player to cross the ball well, we have to work harder in order to get the reversed winger in a good position in the left half-space. Add to that the fact that most of our options are more attackers than creators and that our best creative players are poor in tight spaces and you'll see why it really becomes a struggle for us to string three passes together.

Status
Not open for further replies.