Rio Ferdinand has announced his retirement from Football

17 Van der Gouw

biffa bin
I just wonder if there's one more testimonial in him. Obviously it's up to him, he's going through a nightmare right now.

Would be class if United had him back for a one-off friendly with profits in aid of Cancer research.

justboy68

Correct decision to retire. He's had a great career and can now focus on his family and getting through a very difficult time. Best of luck to him.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
I actually don't quite know where to place Rio and Stam in terms of who pips who, Stam was a brick wall and what a defender he was.

I remember going to the Real Madrid vs Manchester United legends game a year ago too and I had forgotten just how good Stam was people just bounced off him.

I never understood selling him but the bid was right from Lazio in fergies eyes.

I think Rio and Stam were great for different reasons and I just can't put one ahead of the other, part of Rios brilliance was the partnership with Vidic.

If I was to think of Rio I always think of Vidic, If i think of Dwight Yorke I always think of Andy Cole too, they just had that understanding.
Yep, we should've kept Stam as it would solved a lot of defensive problems we had from 02-04. Him and Rio would've been immense and keeping Jaap until 2005 would've bridged the gap until Vidic arrived. If only planning was as easy as hindsight.

LazyRed-Ninja

Dutchman, who could have chosen any tagline.
Thank you Rio Ferdinand for devoting 12 seasons of your career at Manchester United. Your persistance, your never give up attitude and ofcourse your talents that contributed to elevate United to unforgettable moments of triumph. Inspiring, provoking, the backbone in your prime and even beyond that you made sure that there was no easy way through. Delighted to have seen your career unfold here and good luck in the next chapter of your life.

Gratidue and appreciations from the entire Manchester United fanbase.

prarek

One of the greatest defenders of his era. Enjoy your retirement Rio. Thanks for all the memories.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
The best defender I've seen at United in my lifetime, and we've had some superb ones in that time.

Another player poorly treated by the England set-up, but at least he got to play a respectable amount of games in his international career, unlike say Steve Bruce.

Last edited:

pascell

Absolute world class defender, formed one of the best CB partnerships the club will see.
Hopefully once he's found peace in his personal life, we can offer him a coaching role at the club.

Mali_Zeus

I searched for this thread in United forum.:)
United legend, one of the best if not the best United defender I saw in action.
Thanks for the memories Rio and all you gave to the club.
Best of luck in your future life and retirement.

MelvinYeo

I'm only here for the post count
Unquestionably the best defender I've seen at United. The league had great strikers over the years like Henry, Torres and Drogba all of whom were in Rio's pocket. He could make anyone alongside him look good, even Silvestre.

krazyrobus

Nesta, Cannavarro, Rio, Terry, Carragher, Puyol, Vidic.

What a vacuum they have left!

Kakeru

Best CB I have ever seen. I don't think I'll see anyone as good as he was at his peak in the same role until long.

Thanks for all the memories.

Cantona'sCollar

The best defender i've ever seen, in his peak. Such a shame about what happened recently. Thanks for everything and all the best for the future.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Thanks for the good times Rio.
It would be good to see you back in the game in some way in the future.

JackXX

Best defender we've had and probably the best in the PL era. We just looked so much better when he played. Think this should be in the United forum personally.

Flying_Heckfish

Lived up to the price tag and then some. We probably could have got him for less if we'd have waited, not bothered now though! (Leeds :lol:)

Soured things a bit with the drugs test and contract disputes, never mind the injuries.

Formidable partnership with Vidic though, those two and VdS made for a vintage defence that any team would be envious of.

Brilliant player.

kotha

What a player he was for us!! Van Gaal would kill for a player like him right now.. Hope he finds some inner peace in what is a tough time for his family and then hopefully join us in some form of coaching role..

Tom Van Persie

No relation
One of the best defenders to ever wear the Manchester United shirt. The partnership he formed with Vidic was incredible. Best of luck to Rio in his retirement!

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Am I the only person thinking that Rio's retirement isn't getting nearly enough fan fare? The bloke deserves way more celebration in the press.
There's a few reasons I think.

I think the FIFA story has taken up most of the sports pages in the past few weeks. Without that I bet there would have been more coverage.

Also, given the personal tragedy he understandably is not giving too many interviews at the moment.

Lastly, his club had a terrible season and got relegated. If they stayed up with Rio's help, their press department would be all over his retirement.

devil in me

There's a few reasons I think.

I think the FIFA story has taken up most of the sports pages in the past few weeks. Without that I bet there would have been more coverage.

Also, given the personal tragedy he understandably is not giving too many interviews at the moment.

Lastly, his club had a terrible season and got relegated. If they stayed up with Rio's help, their press department would be all over his retirement.
Yeah, pretty much this. The FIFA thing has taken over pretty much everything, whilst Rio hardly played last season anyway so he's gone out on a bit of a low key tone.
Absolute legend for us though, best in the world when he was at his peak.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
Yep, we should've kept Stam as it would solved a lot of defensive problems we had from 02-04. Him and Rio would've been immense and keeping Jaap until 2005 would've bridged the gap until Vidic arrived. If only planning was as easy as hindsight.
Stan was immense. I remember reading in his autobiography about the first time He witnessed a Fergie team talk in the dressing room and he was completely overwhelmed by all the star players sat around him. Then all of a sudden Giggs cocked his leg up and let out a huge rippling fart! This then put Stam at ease and the rest is history :-)

Moby

Dick
Absolute legend and the best defender to put on a united shirt. Defended a Champions League final without getting his shorts dirty!

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Was an absolutely brilliant defender. Proved to be well worth what was a mega fee at the time, couldn't have asked for more from the guy.

Sam

Have to say that got me pretty emotional :(

I think I'd forgotten just how much I loved Rio. With everything thats happened in the last couple of years, and Rio's own drop in performance, its all got a bit lost just what a loss he has been, and what a great player he was for us. He was incredible in 08/09, only second to Ronaldo for me. Fantastic player, fantastic servant.

This is a great video too, if you have a spare 10 minutes, well worth the watch...

This really should be in the United forum too btw.