"Rio meets Mourinho" - in-depth interview

Maciej

Known for "good moanings" not only in the morning
Well, that's really worth watching. Rio is a top bloke and Jose as always extremely interesting.

:drool:

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Watched this last night after the final, great interview

Made me want to do the stadium tour again as well

TehRed

I thought that some brilliant insights were revealed into a few of the things that we've seen this season.

When Jose was talking about Rashford, and how he likes to be able to squeeze more out of players by putting them under pressure, and he loves the players that respond to it, he then went on to talk about how he doesn't understand players who are more "fragile". You can now see where he's been coming from with his approach to Mkhitaryan, Martial, Smalling, Jones, Shaw.

The other thing I really noticed was the line (paraphrased) "Playing football is not for enjoyment, winning is for enjoyment". Jose won't care if we look good in winning, as long as we win. I suppose the Final itself even summed that up.

Manny

Grammar Police
I thought that some brilliant insights were revealed into a few of the things that we've seen this season.

When Jose was talking about Rashford, and how he likes to be able to squeeze more out of players by putting them under pressure, and he loves the players that respond to it, he then went on to talk about how he doesn't understand players who are more "fragile". You can now see where he's been coming from with his approach to Mkhitaryan, Martial, Smalling, Jones, Shaw.

The other thing I really noticed was the line (paraphrased) "Playing football is not for enjoyment, winning is for enjoyment". Jose won't care if we look good in winning, as long as we win. I suppose the Final itself even summed that up.
Yep loved both those insights.

The "winning is the enjoyment" line was about players cuddling the opposition before games and I agree with him and Rio, it has a knock on effect on focus and intensity.

Also interesting how he makes a point of saying that he know some of the players can win even the bigger matches but they are falling short because they lack the focus, determination and responsibility to do it consistently.

Well worth a watch.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Yep loved both those insights.
Hmmm... Surely a great manager should be able to adjust his style to get the most out of both types of player?

Ibi Dreams

Hmmm... Surely a great manager should be able to adjust his style to get the most out of both types of player?
Well, he is a great manager so either he does do that or it's not always necessary. Anyway, he says he does try to understand them and asks his assistants to help work out how to handle them. It's fair enough that some things are much more natural and understandable for him than others.

TehRed

Ok, cool. Didn't watch the full vid. That's another sign of a great manager. Being aware of your flaws and always willing to learn!
Yeah, Jose did admit that it was a weakness of his, that he struggles with the "fragile" players. Seems like it's not necessarily a skill thing, it's not something that can really be learned, it's a case of Jose's own mindset and feelings and he may feel quite principled about it. So he may feel it's better to play to his strengths, to work in the way he enjoys and to find players that also relish that challenge and can adapt to it. It could be why we've seen so much of Fellaini, why he's preferred Darmian to Shaw, why Mkhitaryan was left out, etc etc.

Manny

Grammar Police
True. He did say he'll often use his assistants who would have a different personality to him to work with them.

I'm just happy he knows which personalities he can get the most out of. Will help with avoiding failed transfers.

Pavl3n

That's exactly what made me the biggest impression of the interview/tour. There are people who even find it quite uncomfortable, can see the bigger picture and understand what that squeeze can extract for, not only personal progress and achievements, but the greater good of the team. And there are people who dislike the discomfort and turn on their manager - Hazard and Ronaldo. I am happy Rashfrod is one of those who responds well to such treatment and that there was Zlatan in the team who totally understands that this is a winning mentality.
To a certain extent this is a young team - Rashford, Martial, Shaw, Lingard, Pogba, Bailly (players who have a lot of potential and we hope will be the future spine of the team) are 24 or younger. Hererra, Smalling, Darmian, De Gea, Jones are between 25-27, which means they are entering the first years of their prime. I hope these young boys, realize that such treatment is to be expected from one of the greatest managers in the world and responding in the right way will help the entire team (coaches, staff and players) to achieve more success, just like Jose himself achieved it so far.

SirAF

Ageist
Brilliant interview :devil: Loved the story about the tracksuit, considering it was widely discussed here at the time :lol:

theralyst

I like the bit about Jose getting the players to make a wall of pictures from their LC and FA Cup wins. It's puts into perspective the three finger celebration, which other fans have called small time for celebrating the mickey mouse treble. He knows these trophies aren't the best, but he's trying to instill a winning mentality into the dressing room, and that can only help long term when we're going for the bigger trophies.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Rio clearly "get's us".
I'm always a bit skeptical of calls to bring back former players in coaching positions, but there's something about Rio that makes me think he'd be a great presence to have around.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
fecking hell, he is a savage isn't he? Even questioned his father's mentality and confidence as a manager. :lol:

TehRed

I am happy Rashfrod is one of those who responds well to such treatment
It was clear to see from the way Jose spoke about "the kid Marcus" that he is a really big fan of his, and that his mentality and ability to adapt to pressure are huge reasons behind that.

SaradM

Candid interview. People who are not entirely bought into Jose and his style etc., will like him a tad more after watching it.

Runner

fecking hell, he is a savage isn't he? Even questioned his father's mentality and confidence as a manager. :lol:
His father must be very proud that Jose had the ability to surpass his achievements. I think he was implying that his father was missing that 1% to go from being a good manager to a great manager. I don't see it at all as being disrespectful.

Thisistheone

Really enjoyed it. Made me wish Rio was involved in the club, in some capacity.

And Jose is just brilliant. Imagine being an unknown in your early 30's and working with the likes of Stoichkov, Ronaldo, Pep, Figo etc. Fair play to him.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
We need to find a space for Rio in our coaching lineup if he wants one, or if he prefers, he can get a job as our social media/PR guy. Hell, put him in charge of our TV channel and it'll actually be worth forking out money for monthly.

Shady

Like the quote around 11 minutes about pressure and big clubs. Something people should remember when we are linked with players from smaller clubs.

Inter Yer Nan

I like the bit about Jose getting the players to make a wall of pictures from their LC and FA Cup wins. It's puts into perspective the three finger celebration, which other fans have called small time for celebrating the mickey mouse treble. He knows these trophies aren't the best, but he's trying to instill a winning mentality into the dressing room, and that can only help long term when we're going for the bigger trophies.
Yeah, fans of Liverpool, Arsenal, Spurs are so used to winning leagues and stuff they have every right to mock us winning some of those cup thingies.

Cracking interview. I think by far Rio is the most likable former player cum TV personality and Jose is Jose.

Krits

I loved that interview. You get an insight of how he thinks. I feel very very confident with the club in his hands. There will be some ups and downs but I feel the general trajectory will be up with him around.

Hope he never leaves, I really can't think of any other manager that gives me this much confidence.

Adebesi

I loved the bit where Rio was in the changing room saying the thing he missed was coming in after the game, and then he repeated himself and then sat looking wistful, obviously completely lost in his memories. I do miss Rio. Class player.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Rio is the type of bloke you could sit and have a few pints with and just talk about nothing but it'd still be interesting

It's a great side of Mourinho too which you dint see too often.

BigBebe

I'm always a bit skeptical of calls to bring back former players in coaching positions, but there's something about Rio that makes me think he'd be a great presence to have around.
I agree, his intelligence shown in defending was some of our best ever.

If he could pass some of that on then he could take our defenders to a higher level.

(or they could just watch Jagielka tapes)

Lord Megadrive

Flautist in training
Between the Motorola 68000 and Yamaha YM2612
He always comes across as a decent bloke in things like this. I think he will never live down the "I'm a special one" quote which incidentally he was misquoted by the English media. He wants to be a legend here I think and that may make the difference.

Steven7290

The beginning part when Rio talked about what he misses the most sitting in the dressing room was quite catching. All the money I would pay just to be able to do that... :(

worldinmotion66

Great interview.

I found it interesting that he talked about players experiencing the pressures of having to win, I think the mentalities of his players are so much more important than for many managers. He talks about having to feel a connection with a player, sharing a winning mentality, strong work ethic, a desire to constantly look ahead and look to improve, and an ability to thrive under pressure. It makes sense that he has connected with the likes of Fellaini, Pogba, Rojo and Herrera, and it's great that Rashford shares the same mindset.

It also makes sense that we would look to sign a Griezmann over a Bernardo Silva, a Bale over a Neymar or a Nainggolan over a Barkley. He wants determination, professionalism, bravery. He wants winners.