Rio, Stam, Vidic: what's your order?

DarkXaero

VIdic remains underrated here when it comes to comparing him against our top CBs.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
We’re lucky we got to see Rio and vidic together. Really need varane to get a world class CB partner. We’ve not had a decent cb pairing since those 2

Irwin99

Can never make up my mind between Rio and Vidic. Rio 06-08 was the better and was hugely influential in some of the big games of the Double winning season but then Vida went up another level from 08-11. I think Vidic was the only ever present in that defensive record we set in 08-09 too. Both absolutely outstanding and so i'd probably pick both (stam very unlucky and Pallister was very highly rated though i didn't see too much of him)

Yagami

Good post resistant
Stam
Rio
Vidic

Stam was like a combination of both Rio and Vidic. Incredible defender.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
VIdic remains underrated here when it comes to comparing him against our top CBs.
He’s in everyone’s top 3 CBs ever to play for us. I don’t think that’s being underrated.

DarkXaero

He’s in everyone’s top 3 CBs ever to play for us. I don’t think that’s being underrated.
I said in comparison to the other two CBs in that criteria. He's being listed below Rio and Stam by most.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I said in comparison to the other two CBs in that criteria. He's being listed below Rio and Stam by most.
That’s hardly being underrated - All 3 were unreal. Rio and Stam were just a bit better.

tomaldinho1

Probably my three favourite United CBs. Not sure I can pick between Rio and Stam. I dread to think what Stam would be like in the modern game with all the advancements in sports science - he was a genetic freak as it was.

lex talionis

Vidic was the best, most consistent and the most dominant, he's underrated now somehow because of a few games against Torres when Torres also destroyed Ferdinand if I remember correctly and Ferdinand was beaten by others during his career. Put Vidic on your team and the likes of Stoke were no problem at all. Ruined Drogba in the CL final so much that he got sent off.

Ferdinand was more graceful than Vidic but Vidic was a better all-round defender, less mistake-prone, more consistent. He also was decent on the ball, better than some people think, and more of a threat at set-pieces. Vidic is top 3 PL CBs in my opinion along with Van Dijk and Terry.

Stam was probably as good as Vidic but was here only 3 seasons, Vidic was like that but with extra seasons. If he stayed longer he could have been the best. Ferdinand was a brilliant defender too, just prefer Vidic.
Well put. For me it's a close call but an easy order:

Vidic
Rio
Stam

Vidic was the better defender, was a born leader and was more consistent than Rio. EPL Player of Year twice and United captain in a sea of United legends. It's hard to argue against Vidic.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
For me Rio and Stam seemed like the starting reason why our defence was good.

Vidic seemed more like the last piece to the puzzle which made things near impossible to break through.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
For some he ranks lower due to an aesthetic factor. And some have bought into the very annoying and invalid idea that defenders tackle because they did something wrong earlier in the play (which is absolutely armchair logic)

I think Rio peaked highest, Vidic had the better career for us. Didn't see much of Stam except at Milan.

youmeletsfly

In terms of peak potential, it's Stam, without a doubt. But, Rio has been at a consistent level for a good period of time. Based on common sense, he should edge it.

But, this is the CAF so I'll go with Vidic.

OverratedOpinion

Agreed.

Vidic's lack of pace means he's a level below the other two I'd suggest. Stam and Ferdinand would have been an amazing combo.
God having them together at both their peak would have been one of the best centre back partnerships of all time.

Stam
Rio
Vidic

Stam is the best defender I've seen in the league. He had everything.

Rio and Vidic were very close but Rio was just that bit more composed on the ball.

Djemba-Djemba

Stam was basically why we could go all out attack every game from 1998 to 2001 because we could afford to just leave him back.

He was like a one man defence.

Stam
Rio
Vidic

poleglass red

Stam then Vidic then Rio for me.

Rio actually compliments both well, he formed a very good partnership with Vidic, he also played well with Campbell for England at the world cup where i though he was exceptional..Rio for his size wasn't a physical player, so having that more robust player alongside him was perfect. One thing I think we criminally underrate is Stam's ability on the ball. The shaved head, the physicality he showed kind of detracts peoples memories of him, he was very comfortable on the ball. 3 great players who we were lucky to have

KeanoMagicHat

God having them together at both their peak would have been one of the best centre back partnerships of all time.
Vidic and Ferdinand at their peak was already one of the best centre back partnerships of all time.

Stam was basically why we could go all out attack every game from 1998 to 2001 because we could afford to just leave him back.

He was like a one man defence.

Stam
Rio
Vidic
United conceded 37, 45 and 31 goals in the seasons Stam was in defence. In Stam's first season for example we conceded 20 more goals than Arsenal. Vidic/Ferdinand was 27, 22, 24, 28 goals conceded for four straight years at their peak.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Vidic has to be the best CB this club has ever seen, surely?

1. Vidic
2. Rio
3. Stam

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I think the best analogy being that stam was an all rounder while rio and vidic were more specialized but complemented each other very very well and made up for each others deficiencies.

As someone already said if you had the choice of only one in your team, it would be stam.

Josh 76

VVD for me is better. Is up there with Nesta. Rio was a bit so-so until Vidic arrived.
VVD is great, but they way teams play now with one or even no strikers helps the CB look better than he is.

imagine A peak Henry, Drogba, RVP and the rest playing against VVD. Wouldn’t be so rosy for him!

VVD is lucky to be playing in this era!

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
A lot of you who have Vidic as #1. Just realize that there can't be a vidic without a Rio by your side. That's not to take away from Vidic but his brutal style needed a composed orchestrator.

RVN1991

Rio
Stam
Vidic

Although I don't know if either Rio or Stam ever had the type of season Vidic had in 08-09.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
Rio's 07/08 was the best full season of the three. Indeed, that was probably the best individual season I've seen any defender have in the last 20 years (Nesta's 02/03 being the one which might beat him). However, Rio was only truly at his peak for two seasons before the back injury took its toll on him. The fact he was still one of the best in the world after that shows what a ridiculous level he was previously, but Rio from 08/09 onwards definitely dropped a level or two.

Vidic actually looked like he'd instantly beat that season for a while, with the first half of 08/09 being even better than what Rio had done the previous season. Unfortunately he couldn't maintain that form and the second half of that season dropped away a bit. He maintained his overall peak for longer than Rio though, having a good four or five seasons where he was absolutely world-class.

Stam...for some reason I don't remember him well enough to know where to rate him compared to the others. I easily remember the likes of Keane, Schmeichel, Beckham, Yorke, etc from around that same time (or earlier), but I just don't remember Stam all that much.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
What is your take on the McGrath who sobered up and gave it his all for Villa? His WC94 truly is the stuff of legend, just incredible.

Was McGrath's very best at United a patch on either of the aforementioned (Villa, WC94)?
From about 1984/85 Paul McGrath was excellent but was still relatively inexperienced and prone to mistakes (at least positionally). From about 1986 onwards he had matured and was alreday world class. His display for the Football League v the World X1 was a masterclass. His play during those years was just as good as his time with Villa.

Mike Smalling

Vidic won PL Player of the Year twice. Only other players to have done it more than once are Theirry Henry and Cristiano Ronaldo.

Legend.

MoskvaRed

I think the best analogy being that stam was an all rounder while rio and vidic were more specialized but complemented each other very very well and made up for each others deficiencies.

As someone already said if you had the choice of only one in your team, it would be stam.
That’s a good way of putting it in terms of assessing them as players. Although, in a purely United context, I’d rank Rio and Vidic higher as they made a much bigger contribution over the years. Stam was only here a few seasons before he fell foul of SAF.

arthurka

I don't know, Luis Garcia tells a story where Rio came through the back of him on his debut for Liverpool against United while screaming "Welcome to England, now get up!". Rio was tough, he did his fair share of kicking.
Like I said it is like picking one of your children. Rio is one of my favourite United players but for me Stam and Vidic just had something that I can't explain they just had an aura of whoop ass about them.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
That’s a good way of putting it in terms of assessing them as players. Although, in a purely United context, I’d rank Rio and Vidic higher as they made a much bigger contribution over the years. Stam was only here a few seasons before he fell foul of SAF.
Your correct, Fergie made the wrong call on that one, we had some rough years before we got our hands on vidic and stamina still had a good few years in him, would go on to play in the ucl final after all.

Apokalips

Jaap Stam was the best CB I'd seen at United until Rio came along. McGrath did his best work for country and Villa, but would rank above them all for career peak, for me, but he's not part of this conversation. I'm curious as to how you rank the aforementioned three, and why you put them in the order you have. Incidentally, a combination of either Rio or Vidic with Stam would have been some sight to behold!

Mine:

1. Rio - Was the best defender in the world for a period of time (Nesta's injuries accepted) and was simply imperious at his best. Have him as a lock for United's all-time team.

2. Stam - Really enabled us to play with a high line. His reading of play, raw power and strength allied to his pace - once he picked up a head of steam - made him such an imposing figure. Perhaps the biggest shock sale of them all, despite talk of him being done for because of his injuries. Went on to be sublime in a strong Serie A, no bother.

3. Vidic - being ranked 'bottom' never looks good, but it's more testament to those above than Vidic being bad. Had less pace than the others, which is something he had to compensate for, which he did well with most of the time. An expert at dealing with any type of bruiser forward, but nimbler, fleet-footed ones were annoying fleas for him. I think his suscebility to that was greater than Rio's for donkeys, which does separate them, for me. But still an imperious CB and 3rd or 4th best of all-time for us, I think.

Where are you putting them, and why?
Fully agree. All 3 were incredible, but I'd rank them this way. Rio used to make guys like Silvestre look like decent defenders, I remember us being unbeaten and top of the league and soon as Rio walked off injured against Wolves to start his ban we lost the game and went on to lose the title and look less stable at the back.

NewYorkRed

Vidic was better than Rio for me. Wasn’t old enough to have seen Stam so can’t comment on him.