RIP Nobby Stiles

black country red

Nobby and sir bobby only 2 Englishmen to have played in and won a World Cup and a european cup final nobby definitely the only manc to do it god bless nobby

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
RIP legend.

A shame the players and fans cant give him the tribute he deserves :(

No doubt they'll do have arm bands on and do a speech before the match.

Pav1878

Proper proper legend and a great personality.

May he rest in peace.

Thank you Nobby for all the memories.

Maticmaker

Matt Busby's famous instructions when Stiles went on to the pitch...."Nobby you win the ball, then give it to Bobby"
He made Norman Hunter look like a Choirboy.
RIP Sir Norbert!

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Sad, a United legend who did a lot of 'unseen' work to help others and the team.

Nice little story in the BBC article which I wasn't aware of. Shows how much Ramsey thought of him....

"After receiving a retrospective booking following the final group game against France - for a robust challenge on Les Bleus rival Jacques Simon - the governing body demanded Ramsey drop Stiles for the quarter-final against Argentina.

Ramsey refused.

"I was a liability, they said," Stiles recalled.

"Alf told them he'd resign if he couldn't pick who he wanted. He was prepared to resign in the middle of a World Cup over me. I never found that out until he had died. What a man."

Ramsey's resistance was vindicated. Not only did Stiles help see off a hostile Argentina side - furiously described as "animals" by the usually polite Ramsey - he then nullified Portuguese superstar Eusebio in the semi-final as England reached the Wembley showpiece.

"Alf always called me by my full name of Norbert. Just before the Portugal match he took me to one side and said: 'Norbert, I want you to take Eusebio out,'" Stiles said.

"I replied: 'Do you mean for the game Alf, or for good?'"

Eusebio might have survived, but Portugal didn't. And the rest is etched in English sporting history.

Tenacious, aggressive, dirty - descriptions all given to Stiles' style. After all, he did not earn his 'Toothless Tiger' nickname for no good reason."

RIP Nobby.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Hopefully he gets a nice tribute via the football media. I feel like he's not as well-remembered as some of the other World Cup/United winners from '66 and '68, respectively. He really was such a good footballer and a proper hard worker.

AneRu

Absolute legend, RIP and condolences to his family.

A legend, a terrific player, and a Manchester lad. An unsung hero in the United team of course, with the great players around him, but he won everything in the game. My dad saw Nobby play many times in his youth and is deeply saddened today. A very sad day for Manchester United.

RIP Nobby. :(

Tribec

A legend on the pitch for us, played as crucial role off it as anyone in the late 80's. Nobby's contribution to this club over the past 60 years has been as important as anyone's thank you for that. RIP Nobby

Mark Armstrong

I had the pleasure of meeting this gent and interviewing him years and years ago when his book came out. He happily signed 'from one great footballer to another' (he took my word for it) top top man.

Reactions: golden_blunder

Addled

RIP Nobby. One of United’s all time greats. Absolute legend.
Thinking of his family and friends at this time.

GwilDor

Rest in Peace Nobby. The boys should wear double black armbands on sunday.

Saddy

Fantastic "man marker" but he could play a good pass as well and would fit into any top team even today.

Would probably have to refine his tackles a bit these days !

RIP little man with a great heart and a World Cup medal.

MUM

RIP Nobby lad, condolences to your family and friends at this sad time.

United and England ledgend who always gave his all, Collyhurst's finest.

Canuckred64

Very sad to hear this, I loved watching him play when I was a kid. I see somebody already posted the Eusebio story, but that Nobby in a nut shell. Always thought he wasn't treated right by United in his declining years and hopefully there will be good attendance at his funeral by the club.

man united 4eva

R I P... Nobby ' Nosferatu' Stiles ... a true character and gentleman.. I had the honor of seeing him play many a game for United since watching my first one at Old Trafford with my Dad as a very young lad in 1967.

Last edited:

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Sir Bobby said there was never a better reader of the game. I suppose he was the Makalele of his day and was pivotal to the success of both the WC and EC winning sides.

A physio I used to be treated by was from the Alf Ramsey generation once told me a story about why and what Sir Alf saw in him.

Ramsey wanted a proper team spirit in the squad so when they were at their training base, Ramsey introduced a points based competition whereby the squad was divided into small teams with an appointed captain. Points would be earned for training, timekeeping, all round professionalism etc. Bobby’s team won hands down. That’s what he brought to the squad; a leader an organiser and real character. Ramsey realised that the team needed character and leadership and that’s what Nobby brought.

RIP Nobby, a true Utd and England legend:(