RIP Ray Clemence

Genuinely saddeded to hear of his passing. One of my favourite players ever.

A true legend of the game. England were blessed in the era with him and Shilton.

Last edited:

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
He's been fighting cancer for years. So sorry to hear he has died . R.I.P. Ray and best wishes to your family and friends. They have just had Alan Brazil on Talksport and he was really upset. Think ex players have been going to visit him, some were there yesterday.

Synco

Lucio's #1 Fan
Found this thread just as I watched a game with him in goal, feels odd. RIP.

njred

HALA MADRID!
Supports
Liverpool
I feel like another part of my youth is gone when someone like Clemence is gone. Seen him play live and always thought he deserved to be on England over Shilton. Great goalie and always first when I think of Liverpool goalies.

Revaulx

I feel like another part of my youth is gone when someone like Clemence is gone. Seen him play live and always thought he deserved to be on England over Shilton. Great goalie and always first when I think of Liverpool goalies.
Same.

I hated England being full of Liverpool players, but never resented his presence at all. There was a calmness about him, probably down to his excellent reading of the game, that must have given the defence a huge confidence boost. Grobelaar did brilliantly in his place, but if I’d been a defender I know which I’d have been happier having behind me.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Fantastic keeper - I thought he was probably better than Shilton for much of the time. RIP