Rivaldo

Bertie Wooster

Playing ability wise: I thought Rivaldo was a brilliant player with a stunning left foot and was a great playmaker but who, like Riquelme, had a lack of pace that was maybe the main thing that prevented him being in the very top level of all time greats.

Personality wise, when a player - he came across as a bit of a git who was hard to warm to as a person but great to watch as a player.

Since retiring, whenever I see him being quoted about the players we're being linked to he always seems to be discouraging South Americans from joining us and recommending the likes of City, Madrid, Barcelona itself. Which is bloody annoying.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
This thread will get the usual responses but in my opinion he was a fantastic player despite incidents of playacting like in OP's video.

I remember he was shifted to the wing randomly at Barcelona around 98-99 which caused some commotion with the head coach (forget his name). He still won the Balon D'or that year though, not to mention plenty of titles at various other clubs he played for. It shows how much of a benefit he was even in spite of his seemingly random hissy fits.

He has a great record with the Brazilian national team scoring 35 goals in 74 games, which ain't too shabby for a shadow striker.

He's also quite intelligent by some accounts. Not politically astute like his contemporary Romario but a few ex-teammates have since called him a fontaine of knowledge.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
This thread will get the usual responses but in my opinion he was a fantastic player despite incidents of playacting like in OP's video.

I remember he was shifted to the wing randomly at Barcelona around 98-99 which caused some commotion with the head coach (forget his name). He still won the Balon D'or that year though, not to mention plenty of titles at various other clubs he played for. It shows how much of a benefit he was even in spite of his seemingly random hissy fits.

He has a great record with the Brazilian national team scoring 35 goals in 74 games, which ain't too shabby for a shadow striker.

He's also quite intelligent by some accounts. Not politically astute like his contemporary Romario but a few ex-teammates have since called him a fontaine of knowledge.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff

I remember he was shifted to the wing randomly at Barcelona which caused some commotion with the head coach. He still won the Balon D'or that year, not to mention plenty of titles at various other clubs he's played for. It really shows how much of a benefit he was even in spite of his seemingly random hissy fits. He also has a great record with the Brazilian national team. 35 goals in 74 games, which ain't too shabby for a shadow striker..

Also he's quite intelligent by accounts. Not politically astute like his contemporary Romario but a few ex-teammates have come out to label him a fontaine of knowledge.
Oh, he was a marvelous player without a doubt.
He lacked something, and I can’t even say what with certainty, to become a true all-time great (at least compared to players of his general profile, which is the most stacked role historically, with the likes of Maradona and Pelé to compete with). Maybe it was the drive, but he wasn’t really a “slacker” like Laudrup or Bergkamp who didn’t have the mentality and competitiveness to fully realize their talent. Maybe it was his inability to compromise? But then, if he was playing at left wing in a role that Van Gaal envisioned for him, he certainly wouldn’t have reached the same heights he did in reality (even though Barca may have been more successful — and I’m not sure about that).

He’s really a bit of a mystery to me.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I genuinely think that this is the most consistently funny post that I’ve seen on the internet, ever. It’s just so chaotic and poetic at the same time, usually you laugh less and less as a joke gets more exposure, but this is so pure and, well, genius! I clicked on the link and read it again and still had a real, physical urge to laugh even though I can recite it by heart if you’d wake me up in the middle of the night.

mu4c_20le

Maybe Van Gaal had a point about him, since his career didn't exactly kick on after he left. He picked up a CL medal in Milan that he did not deserve, then bottled a move to the PL.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral

Riquelme can't tie Rivaldo's laces come on. Rivaldo was simply the best player of the 1998 and 2002 world cups for brazil.

He had such a knack for scoring goals.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
Anyone else still hum this chant whenever you hear the name Rivaldo?

Schneckerl

Rivaldo's hattrick vs. Valencia might be my favorite performance of all time, so I recently rewatched many of his other games: Expected renewed appreciation, but instead, it soured me a bit on him as a player. His playing style is frustrating—boom or bust, often head-scratching decision making. Lets say I'd rather have him for a KO-round than a whole league season.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout

:lol: Nice

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Maybe Van Gaal had a point about him, since his career didn't exactly kick on after he left. He picked up a CL medal in Milan that he did not deserve, then bottled a move to the PL.
He scored 23 goals and that hattrick against Valencia after LVG was fired the first time. LVG came back in June 2002, when Rivaldo was helping Brazil win the World Cup.

Cee90

Redcafe Fantasy Football Champion 2012/13
As someone from a Turkish background, the video in the OP hurts. I remember being fuming at the time.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Anyone remember when he nearly joined Bolton?

Rivaldo, Okocha, Djorkaeff & Hierro looking like a 90s all star team lighting up the Reebok.Sad it didn’t happen.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Did He? I remember he practically whored himself to us but we didn't want him.