Rivalries against specific teams that have left an indelible mark on you?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
It seems to me like anyone who lived the Fergie vs Wenger years in real time has a hatred for Arsenal that is so deep-seated you could swear they were our traditional rivals. Now that Arsenal are the on the up and look like they may have a say in where bigger trophies may go, the sentiment that has laid dormant has arisen once more and the quandary of who is the bigger evil in terms of winning said trophies is alive and well.

If you don't know, Liverpool, Leeds and City are United's traditional rivals and anything else is supposed to fall in line behind those, but I think Arsenal are above anyone other than Liverpool for a lot of our fans despite tradition, it's that deep-seated.

Arsenal: is the feeling mutual? Did the Fergie vs Wenger years spark an eternal hatred for Manchester United in you? I know it did for Keown... he hates United with a passion, and yet, players like Henry remember the time fondly and respect us as once-sworn enemies, but doesn't seem to bear true ill-will towards United, the club, and any future endeavours they might have.

Funnily enough, if this site has enough rival fans, there should be some come out and state how much they hate United - the likes of Jenas and Agbonlahor, despite never featuring in teams who had any say in anything to do with United's trophies at the time they were active, hate us with the heat of a thousand suns... heaven knows why, but it's definitely a carryover to swathes of rival fans from our winningest period. Liverpool didn't get it in the neck for their periods of dominance like we have in terms of that universal hatred, so I have wondered what that was about for a long time.

Anyway, this isn't just United-centric; do you have a particular beef with any club that might be deemed irrational? Why, and how did it start? For example, the Mourinho - Benitez years seemed to have the bad blood firing up between Liverpool and Chelsea for a time, but that's dead now? Or is it?

I want you blood war arc origin stories!

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
I detest Arsenal. cnut fans, cnut players, cnut manager. I did soften to Wenger but only because the poor fecker went downhill quite a lot at the end.

Keown, the fecking missing link, attacking Van Nistelrooy after full time sparked a visceral reaction in teenage me. I remember shouting all manner of obscenities at the television when it was happening :lol:.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I absolutely hate Arsenal but it’s not even close to being a difficult decision in terms of who to hope wins the league between them and the blue cnuts or the scousers.

Sadly they’ll most likely bottle it.

Oranges038

Newcastle. Keegan's rant, ever since then I've just hated them and Shearer.

Couldn't be arsed about Chelsea.

Didn't mind Arsenal, I used to like watching them under Wenger, especially in the early years with Henry, Pires, Bergkamp etc. But in reality they won feck all, Chelsea winning the lottery had a lot to do with that.

I also love how much George Burley just hates Utd, that back pass in the FA cup must haunt him every time he has to speak about Utd. But in general he just seems sour and sounds like he doesn't like football at all.

SirAF

Ageist
Arsenal, yeah. I still can't fecking stand them. Would much rather see City winning the league than them.

brontelicious

I detest Arsenal. cnut fans, cnut players, cnut manager. I did soften to Wenger but only because the poor fecker went downhill quite a lot at the end.

Keown, the fecking missing link, attacking Van Nistelrooy after full time sparked a visceral reaction in teenage me. I remember shouting all manner of obscenities at the television when it was happening :lol:.
Personally angrier with Ray Parlour than Keown. The way he snidely punched RvN from behind angers me to this day.

Has to be said RvN deserved condemnation for his behaviour, and on a few others. I liked him, but only for his goals. Entitled, pampered, arrogant. Those insufferable 'I'm cool' celebrations. Classic type of player you would truly despise if he played for somebody, anybody, else.

Rivalries? The usual, but now feel nothing for or against city. They're not a real football club anymore. Boyband fake. Political. No, ta.

Hate recently promoted sides who play up to us. A shout out to Portsmouth, who always raised their bastard game when we were about. You could also rely on Boro to trounce us now and again, only to capitulate in their next match. Ditto Pompey. Hate them both.

Derby another dishonourable mention.

Last edited:

Nico87

I only hate Arsenal these days because Piers Morgan is a fan and i don’t want him to have any enjoyment in his life.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Struggling here, best I can do is Galatasaray. Goes back to the "welcome to hell" game when they knocked us out of the Champions League in 93/94, and then the borderline riot afterwards with Turkish police attacking Cantona. We don't have a great overall record against them either: W2 D4 L2. Finished rock-bottom behind them again this season of course although I was much more pissed off with our own shortcomings than anything they did this time.

Any real hostility I had for Arsenal evaporated when we both went shit compared to what we once were. Was hoping they wouldn't bottle it last season and they're 100% my preferred title winners again this season. I respect them for taking on City while not being subsidised by a sovereign wealth fund. They're a real club.

Similar for Chelsea. Heated rivals while we were both going for the title but as soon as we slipped away a lot of the animosity I had for them did too. Didn't like the plasticity of the club for a while when Abramovich first took over but he's gone now as well.

It's just the traditional rivals for me in England.

Last edited:

CallyRed

I dislike Leeds more than Liverpool and City. I'd happily sing we all hate Leeds scum continuously for 90 minutes. Don't care for West ham much either.

Used to hate Arsenal growing up for the obvious reasons throughout the 90/00s but also because all my mates were gooners. Though now I look back on that team with alot more respect and miss the rivalry. Yes it's funny when they lose still and the whole AFTV have made them unlikeable for different reasons, but there's no hatred there anymore from me.

Acheron

Supports
Real Madrid
I only want Barcelona to lose but after their period under Guardiola now I also want the teams he's managing to lose. So most of the time it's been very enjoyable knocking his teams out of UCL almost every single time and watch him fail to win the thing until recently. Haven't disliked other Barcelona managers nearly as much as him.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Newcastle. Racist inbread fans who need subtitles to understand.

BuddaBuddy

Supports
Spurs
Liverpool.

As a Spurs fan, I shouldn't really bother with that lot, but I'd put them all the way on the top of my hate list, equal to Chelsea, but before Arsenal and West Ham.
The strange thing is that I've never really had anything against any of their players bar Suarez, but I've met so many deluded Liverpool fans in my life that I just
can't help but rooting for the other team when they play.

And Real Madrid.

Can't stand that facist team. Never have, never will, even though I'm not fan of Barca, Atletico or have any fondness towards spanish teams bar some facination for basque football culture.

Reactions: Fortitude

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Was that when Nani started crying on the pitch for ten minutes?
yep. it was an embarrassing amount of time to be crying at anfield. luckily for nani, suarez has since managed to knock him into second place, with his crying, in between the bouts of biting people and diving.

M16Red

Was that when Nani started crying on the pitch for ten minutes?
Yep, 2011. Only won the EPL and lost the final of the champions league to the best team I've ever seen... Carragher won feck all that year

Oldyella

While Wenger was the catalyst for the real rivalry to start, it had been bubbling for a few years prior to that after the 'brawl' at old Trafford where both teams were docked points.

Leeds are the worst for me though, can't stand em and am always baffled when people say they are glad when they come back up. feck em. City and Liverpool are rivals, but at least for logical reasons and I enjoy the rivalries because of that.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Definitely hate Arsenal but respect how they play football.

Despise Liverpool, scoff at Leeds.

Don't care about City one bit. Nothing club that belong in the third division.

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
Sunderland crawled into many a poster here's heads after dancing the Poznan, where they have remained ever since.

mitChley

Leeds.

Their fans are the most obnoxious bunch of absolute wankers I've ever met. Every weekend I hope they get absolutely battered.

Spark

Know it’s normal, but I just cannot stand Liverpool and their fans. The utter shite they come out with is breathtaking. Doesn’t help that half my mates support Liverpool, only one has a semi decent opinion on football in general. But feck me, the sheer smugness about their team for the last 10 years has been nauseating.

Arsenal have to win the league.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
The thing with arsenal is that we were both on our game, with Liverpool i don't think there has ever been a sustained period were both clubs were on top.

thisisnottaken1

As a younger person, I absolutely despise City just as much as Liverpool. I’ve grown up seeing City challenge and eventually usurp us, especially with the last minute heartbreak in 2012. I’ve been bullied by people who called themselves city fans, even though I’m from Scotland. City can go to hell.

Nicolarra90

I just despise Abu Dhabi's City. They represent all the things that are wrong in the world.

Besides all that, and as starting to watch the PL in 2003.

Liverpool is the rival, despite just seeing one season where we were really competing (08/09)

I hated Chelsea, but ended respecting them when they eliminated Barcelona in the CL SF. If no small team is winning I don't mind them winning at all.

Spurs are spurs.

And Arsenal are just a slightly better spurs who keep on living off a season 20 years ago. (Joke but no joke)

youngrell

Hated Arsenal with a passion back during the early part of Wenger’s days. But the banter years softened my hatred to no end. I guess if we were actually competing with them currently it could reignite the fire.

I despise Leeds and Liverpool no matter where they or us are at as teams.