Riyad Mahrez

Silverman

We missed a trick not signing this guy.

We have badly needed a RW for years and I remember it didn't look like many of the top teams were interested in him.
Arsenal seemed to be the most likely destination for him.

Top player.

RedDevilzFox

We have badly needed a RW for years and I remember it didn't look like many of the top teams were interested in him.

Top player.
Mason greenwood has more goals than him playing mostly from the right in last 2 seasons. Food for thought.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yes he's quality but I seem to remember loads of top clubs looking at him after his stint at Leicester and him choosing the toppest one.

I don't think we had much chance as we were still in transition compared with City. Was a similar situation with Kante and Chelsea.

Gopher Brown

Two good games for City then suddenly he’s one that got away?

I certainly don’t lose any sleep over not getting him, although could have been nice on the right wing for us

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Raphinha will be our Mahrez

awop

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Supports
Arsenal

Top player.
He said a few weeks ago that he almost joined Arsenal but Leicester would not let him go. Probably the best for him and Leicester in the end but i would have loved to get him.

mu4c_20le

Yes he's quality but I seem to remember loads of top clubs looking at him after his stint at Leicester and him choosing the toppest one.

I don't think we had much chance as we were still in transition compared with City. Was a similar situation with Kante and Chelsea.
I am also of the impression that he made up his mind to go to City. He's was even happy sitting on the bench for a good while.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He said a few weeks ago that he almost joined Arsenal but Leicester would not let him go. Probably the best for him and Leicester in the end but i would have loved to get him.
He pretty much threatened to go on strike to join ye as far as I can remember or was that a first rejected bid from City?

Class player. Those Leicester scouts are earning their money

I wanted him when he left Leicester. I think he would have been very good for us - we haven’t had a right winger for about a decade, so he would have been an improvement!

he has however been pretty inconsistent.

I was going to say let’s not get too excited about one game - but it was one game that was one of the biggest in the history of that club. So he probably deserves all the credit he gets.

he’s been an OK signing for City - I think he would have been a fantastic signing for us.

Brightonian

Numbers-wise he's not torn any trees up, but I would've loved to have him. Incredibly entertaining player to watch, especially when he was at Leicester. And, y'know, an actual RW.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Player has a spell of great form.

This forum; missed a trick not signing this guy.

VanKenny

Player has a spell of great form.

This forum; missed a trick not signing this guy.

yeah, also apparently Neymar isnt even a top 50 player now just because he failed to score a hattrick yesterday to put PSG trough

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Mason greenwood has more goals than him playing mostly from the right in last 2 seasons. Food for thought.
Daniel James played 33 games last year in PL alone, and 14 games this season.
There would be plenty of game time for both Greenwood and Mahrez, he was always a good transfer and risk for that kind of money that City paid for him, much better than Daniel James.

mu4c_20le

Mahrez had more assists in the league last year than Greenwood in his entire career. Much more to his game than just goals.

tomaldinho1

Numbers-wise he's not torn any trees up, but I would've loved to have him. Incredibly entertaining player to watch, especially when he was at Leicester. And, y'know, an actual RW.
This.

I don't see him as truly elite but the very fact he plays the role we so desperately need is more than enough to suggest we should have signed him. I still don't get why we weren't trying for Kante and him.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Mahrez had more assists in the league last year than Greenwood in his entire career. Much more to his game than just goals.
Greenwood PL starts in his career - 31
Mahrez PL starts last season - 21

Wow Mahrez has more assists in one season than Greenwood had in his entire career :lol:

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich

Wow Mahrez has more assists in one season than Greenwood had in his entire career :lol:
Greenwood has made 61 PL appearances in his career. You’ve clearly ignored the other 30 appearances to make your stats look good. It’s not even subtle!

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Greenwood has made 61 PL appearances in his career. You’ve clearly ignored the other 30 appearances to make your stats look good. It’s not even subtle!
I dont know whether you are dumb or just a troll. Always repeat the same thing.

I said PL starts, I included Mahrez starts only. Playing 10 mins here and there means feck all.

FriendlyFox

Supports
Leicester City
I would love Mahrez back, even though by all accounts he's a massive bell-end. :(

Would've been a great signing for you, probably better for you than City to be honest. For one, he'd have got much more consistent game time with you, but I think he'd have had a bit more freedom/license to play his stuff than he does for City. I imagine (though not based on any evidence) Pep's a little stricter with the exact style of play he wants from his players.

He doesn't really track back, but you have AWB on that side, so (just like Danny Simpson for us) it's a match made in heaven really.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018

Top player.
Played utter dogshit for his first season. Massive bag of King Edwards on his shoulders, had a good six months but don't think we missed any trick at all.

mu4c_20le

Mason only has 2 seasons under his belt. I was not trying to disparage him, just highlighting the fact that Mahrez is a winger first and provides a ton of assists, goals just happen to be a bonus. I'd be amazied if Greenwood could surpass him there, since I see his future up front or a second striker.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Btw you are one of the most obvious City fans in disguise on this forum. You don’t have to pretend otherwise.

thepolice123

He's been good this season but his consistency has largely been Nani-esque.

V.O.

Last Man Standing finalist 2019/20
Another player Pep has developed further. World class and a regular in City's starting eleven. Says it all!
Yeah, the man's genius knows no bounds. Mahrez scored just 35 league goals in his last 3 seasons for Leicester. Pep's development has seen him improve that to the heady heights of 27 league goals in his 3 seasons at City :drool:

simplyared

Yeah, the man's genius knows no bounds. Mahrez scored just 35 league goals in his last 3 seasons for Leicester. Pep's development has seen him improve that to the heady heights of 27 league goals in his 3 seasons at City :drool:
Rubbish comparison! Mahrez took a couple of seasons at City before he started performing at the level he's at now. He was outstanding for Leicester in the year the won the PL. He never hit those heights again and City snapped him up. I'm looking at his current performances and I'm seeing a player who has been key to City's success this season. That wasn't the case before and that's development!

Thunderhead

Supports
City
Inconsistent but has probably the best first touch in football, absolutely kills the ball with his first touch, lovely to watch at the moment but my god he's been frustrating for a couple of years

simplyared

Inconsistent but has probably the best first touch in football, absolutely kills the ball with his first touch, lovely to watch at the moment but my god he's been frustrating for a couple of years
The young lad from Stockport on the other flank isn't too bad either at killing the ball and is just as "lovely" to watch.

Last edited:

mark clatternburg

Supports
Leicester City

Top player.
Only just sunk in. This Sancho will never be as good.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Btw you are one of the most obvious City fans in disguise on this forum. You don’t have to pretend otherwise.
Ha, good guess but you are entirely wrong. Unless you mean that I think they’re a great side at the moment, which is fairly undeniable.

I’m Ipswich through and through, the only time I’ve ever seen city live is when we played them about 15 years ago (and won).

Not that you will, but you could maybe take this as a learning experience given that what’s ‘obvious’ to you is in fact entirely untrue.
You couldn’t be further from the truth. I’m Ipswich through and through. You won’t accept it because that would involve accepting that you’ve got something completely wrong. I’m no more a city fan than I was a fan of Liverpool’s CL winning team. They were both for very different reasons great sides to watch.

You could take this as a learning experience but I expect you won’t.

That_Bloke

Supports
Leicester City