Robert Mugabe dies aged 95

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
by what criteria do you judge these dictators to come to this opinion?
Purely off the top of my head - mass deaths/massacres/famine/genocide. That kind of thing. I know very little about Zimbabwe so happy to be corrected, but my impression has been that while he’s fecked the economy and ruled as a dictator, he hasn’t been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of his citizens. Unlike, say, Idi Amin, Mengistu and Omar al-Bashir.

(Edit): surprised to learn just now that Mengistu is still alive, and living in Harare.

bleedred

This. Started off a hero of sorts and died an absolute cnut tbh. His family and his cronies lived in absolute luxury, waltzing around the globe, spending millions of dollars, whilst his people basically starved and struggled to put food on the table.
This isn't the Trump thread mate!

spaceboyRSA

This. Started off a hero of sorts and died an absolute cnut tbh. His family and his cronies lived in absolute luxury, waltzing around the globe, spending millions of dollars, whilst his people basically starved and struggled to put food on the table.
Hundred percent.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I'm always amazed how long these dictators manage to stay in power while the people are suffering. Are the military and police that loyal to them?

spaceboyRSA

I'm always amazed how long these dictators manage to stay in power while the people are suffering. Are the military and police that loyal to them?
Bob's were very loyal to him. Until he started setting up grace to take over instead of emmerson

Sir Matt

Blue Devil

It's not surprising Trump's State department mourns the loss of a corrupt dictator who destroyed his country's economy and democracy for personal gain. They both even married foreign-born wives who were significantly younger.

Last edited:

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Purely off the top of my head - mass deaths/massacres/famine/genocide. That kind of thing. I know very little about Zimbabwe so happy to be corrected, but my impression has been that while he’s fecked the economy and ruled as a dictator, he hasn’t been responsible for the deaths of hundreds of thousands of his citizens. Unlike, say, Idi Amin, Mengistu and Omar al-Bashir.

(Edit): surprised to learn just now that Mengistu is still alive, and living in Harare.
Only tens of thousands of political opponents massacred. Must try harder.

I guess he was ok for the first 6-12 months of his 37 year rule. After that not so much.

Last edited:

spaceboyRSA

Only tens of thousands of political opponents massacred. Must try harder.

I guess he was ok for the first 6-12 months of his 37 year rule. After that not so much.
Correct. At least 25000 ndebele were massacred under the pretense of being dissidents.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hammerfell

Can anyone give me some examples of ‘good’ dictators? Genuinely curious.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Lee Kuan Yew of Singapore is most commonly cited in response to this question. Some would say Ataturk as well although his legacy is bitterly divisive.

Abizzz

I had a childhood friend who only grew up with me because his mother fled Zimbabwe because of Mugabe (mid 80s). Never had the chance to talk to her about it in detail as an adult but I reckon she would have an opinion on him.

freeurmind

weak willed
Mugabe turned into a cnut but without him theres a good chance apartheid never ends in South Africa and Namibia.

spaceboyRSA

Mugabe turned into a cnut but without him theres a good chance apartheid never ends in South Africa and Namibia.
First part true. Second part not true. Apartheid was always going to fall. He may have helped speed up the process though. That's the reason south african politicians keep praising him. They focus on what he did in his early years in terms of liberation, not on the devastation of the last decade or two.

freeurmind

weak willed
First part true. Second part not true. Apartheid was always going to fall. He may have helped speed up the process though. That's the reason south african politicians keep praising him. They focus on what he did in his early years in terms of liberation, not on the devastation of the last decade or two.
You're probably right. It's crazy because after he came to power Mugabe abondoned basically every single ideal that he claimed motivated him during Zimbabwe's liberation struggle. SA politicians are almost all cut form the same cloth so of course they have to praise him.

spaceboyRSA

You're probably right. It's crazy because after he came to power Mugabe abondoned basically every single ideal that he claimed motivated him during Zimbabwe's liberation struggle. SA politicians are almost all cut form the same cloth so of course they have to praise him.
This is basically it. Interesting how often freedom fighters(with all the right intentions) struggle with democracy after freedom is won.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
This is an interesting take on things. One I disagree with, seeing it suggests that the struggle for freedom (both non-violent) and armed was redundant as freedom would have come anyways. And... That has never happened in the history of always

spaceboyRSA

This is an interesting take on things. One I disagree with, seeing it suggests that the struggle for freedom (both non-violent) and armed was redundant as freedom would have come anyways. And... That has never happened in the history of always
That's not what I said. I said apartheid was always going to fail irrespective of Mugabes role. I suggest you read my post, and the context of my post a little more carefully.

adexkola

Supports
That's not what I said. I said apartheid was always going to fail irrespective of Mugabes role. I suggest you read my post, and the context of my post a little more carefully.
I assure you I read it multiple times.

Why was apartheid always going to fail regardless of Mugabe's role?

spaceboyRSA

I assure you I read it multiple times.

Why was apartheid always going to fail regardless of Mugabe's role?
I actually lived though the end days of apartheid. International pressure, internal conflicts, local rebellions, embargoes etc brought the country to its knees. Mugabe or not, the Nat government would have caved at some point.

Apartheid was not only a completely immoral and appalling system. It was also totally unsustainable, and we are still struggling with the after effects of it today.

Denis' cuff

No mention of white farmers who had been kicked off their farms and raped/executed with absolute impunity.

Serves them right I suppose.

Those same farms now barren.

adexkola

Supports
I actually lived though the end days of apartheid. International pressure, internal conflicts, local rebellions, embargoes etc brought the country to its knees. Mugabe or not, the Nat government would have caved at some point.

Apartheid was not only a completely immoral and appalling system. It was also totally unsustainable, and we are still struggling with the after effects of it today.
That didn't just happen in a vacuum, it happened because of people like Mugabe and other freedom fighters who put the pressure on apartheid regimes at home and abroad. Apartheid would have lasted much longer, and it's natural conclusion would have been impoverished bantustans for blacks. It was a really great engineered system of oppression, no way it just happens to fall.

Saying "it would have happened without Mugabe" goes contrary to the history, where Mugabe was a significant factor. One can acknowledge the substantial role he played in liberation and also acknowledge his terrible reign afterwards.

No mention of white farmers who had been kicked off their farms and raped/executed with absolute impunity.

Serves them right I suppose.

Those same farms now barren.
Serves who right?

spaceboyRSA

That didn't just happen in a vacuum, it happened because of people like Mugabe and other freedom fighters who put the pressure on apartheid regimes at home and abroad. Apartheid would have lasted much longer, and it's natural conclusion would have been impoverished bantustans for blacks. It was a really great engineered system of oppression, no way it just happens to fall.

Saying "it would have happened without Mugabe" goes contrary to the history, where Mugabe was a significant factor. One can acknowledge the substantial role he played in liberation and also acknowledge his terrible reign afterwards.
You clearly didnt read my posts. I didnt say he didnt have a role. I said it would have fallen without him (which I stand by), but he did help speed it up.

I did say this

He may have helped speed up the process though.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Do we have anyone on the caf from Zimbabwe? I'd be interested in their take.

All my opinions on Mugabe are formed from the western media so I naturally think he was a tyrant who destroyed his nations economy.
Me too.

I’ve worked with 3 Zimbabweans and I’ve asked them about him in the past and they always stuck up for him.

Foxbatt

he is not bad as the western media make him out to be and neither was he good as the African media make him out to be. I am surprised how highly educated he is with various degrees and Post Grad masters from various Universities including the Universityty of London. He must be a very intelligent man
In many of these countries the economy goes really bad not only of bad mismanagement but also from sanctions from the western countries.

Hanks

Reza Shah of Iran...1925-1941.

"Reza Shah, may god bless your soul" is one of the most popular chants Iranians say these days whenever there is a protest or even at the football stadiums.

Fought strongly against religious influence and gender apartheid (almost too strongly by forcing a hijab ban), modernized Iran for that time, set up lots of roads, train paths and universities and radio.