Roberto De Zerbi - Brighton manager

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
It's not strange, the table doesn't lie.
Yeah it is strange. You realise that better managers can be at worse clubs? So worse managers can finish higher than better ones?

Also, he finished higher than Moyes last season?

padr81

Supports
Man City
He's a decent manager and I'd be curious to see him at a top club, similar to Ange really. He'd either steamroller the league or take a big squad to mid table. Would be fun as hell though..

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
He's a decent manager and I'd be curious to see him at a top club, similar to Ange really. He'd either steamroller the league or take a big squad to mid table. Would be fun as hell though..
This wouldn't happen. You know it, I know it.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
No, no he wont. Even with Citys unlimited resources he wont.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
De Zerbi is suffering after over achieving last season. Since then he's lost Caicedo and Mac Allister, March and Mitoma have been out for most of the season, Estupinan has also been out for a significant chunk. Ferguson has had a typical season of a youngster breaking onto the scene and struggled a bit this year, when not injured.

We're not a United or a Liverpool with a huge bench and losing these players has had a massive impact on us and our form has definitely dipped since Christmas, but for Brighton to be a top ten club is a massive achievement and for him to do it with the players available to him is impressive.

There's a lot of recency bias with De Zerbi and Brighton, in reality it's only the last 3 seasons we've been a half decent premier league team. I'm quite happy to read a lot of posters writing him off, it means he'll stay with us for longer, but he's done a very good job with the squad available to him.

Fallon d'Floor

De Zerbi is suffering after over achieving last season. Since then he's lost Caicedo and Mac Allister, March and Mitoma have been out for most of the season, Estupinan has also been out for a significant chunk. Ferguson has had a typical season of a youngster breaking onto the scene and struggled a bit this year, when not injured.

We're not a United or a Liverpool with a huge bench and losing these players has had a massive impact on us and our form has definitely dipped since Christmas, but for Brighton to be a top ten club is a massive achievement and for him to do it with the players available to him is impressive.

There's a lot of recency bias with De Zerbi and Brighton, in reality it's only the last 3 seasons we've been a half decent premier league team. I'm quite happy to read a lot of posters writing him off, it means he'll stay with us for longer, but he's done a very good job with the squad available to him.
You got your summer business wrong last season, for me. Igor, Milner and Dahoud are a big drop-off from Colwill, Caicedo and Mac Allister.

Verbruggen and Baleba should be good long term investments. I'm glad that Baleba has had a run in the team recently.

De Zerbri seems to really like Gilmour though. He leaves your midfield vulnerable off the ball when paired with Groß who is fantastic, but not gifted physically. Baleba is.

Too many injuries in attacks has cost you also. De Zerbri teams will always be a little vulnerable defensively. The attacking play used to counter that.

De Zerbri deserves a lot of credit for using U21 players though. No other PL manager uses youngsters as much as him:
  • Ferguson (18/19 years old) - 1,634 PL mins
  • Barco (19 years old) - 180 PL mins
  • Hinshelwood (18/19 years old) - 871 PL mins
  • Buonanotte (18/19 years old) - 1,169 PL mins
  • O'Mahony (19 years old) - 67 PL mins
  • Enciso (20 years old) - 258 PL mins
  • Baleba (19/20 years old) - 1,251 PL mins
  • Fati (21 years old) - 494 PL mins
  • Verbruggen (21 years old ) - 1,620 PL mins
  • Offiah (21 years old) - 118 PL mins
And then some of the other regulars in the team are only 22 years old i.e. Gilmour, Adingra and João Pedro.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty

Your form dipped seven games in.

You won 5 from the opening 6, then just 6 of the following 28.

You earned 34% of your points and scored 35% of your goals in the opening 18% of the season.

KeanoMagicHat

The thing I find though about De Zerbi is that he makes quite eccentric team selections at times, players out of position or stuff that clearly doesn't work. When it does it comes off as a masterstroke, when it doesn't, they lose 3-0 to Bournemouth and everyone moves on. You can get away with that sort of thing at Brighton, but not really at a top club. I think that element of his management would really frustrate some supporters.

Fallon d'Floor

The thing I find though about De Zerbi is that he makes quite eccentric team selections at times, players out of position or stuff that clearly doesn't work. When it does it comes off as a masterstroke, when it doesn't, they lose 3-0 to Bournemouth and everyone moves on. You can get away with that sort of thing at Brighton, but not really at a top club. I think that element of his management would really frustrate some supporters.
It was risky starting all 3 of Barco, Offiah and O'Mahony vs Bournemouth.

But with the team struggling to score goals, it made sense to give O'Mahony a try. 10 goals from 11 PL2 games.

Barco is a highly rated Argentine LWB they signed in January. From De Zerbri's perspective, they might as well start developing him now for next season.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I think the injury stuff is a bit overstated too as if other teams around them or below haven't suffered.

Had a look at the sides (us and them) against Burnley away and I think it's tough to say that Dyche had a better hand than De Zerbi despite us winning 2-0 and Brighton needing an OG to draw. We were forced to go to a 5 at the back and play McNeil as a LWB and Garner at LM. No Branthwaite either and our subs bench was full of youth players aside from Beto and Danjuma.

I don't suddenly think he's a bad manager but he's definitely underwhelmed a bit this season in some respects for me.