Roberto De Zerbi - Brighton manager

OverratedOpinion

But the poster I was responding to clearly wasn't referring to his early days when he started.

I have no idea. Based on last season it looked like he was better as he had continued potter's good work and got them scoring, somethign potter struggled with. But this season its hard to judge as they've not replaced their outgoing stars adequately, injuries, and european football.
It feels like you still aren't getting it.

The early days matter as let's say that is where De Zerbi is now. Potter went onto develop players like Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister ect.

You can't judge De Zerbi for not doing that when he hasn't had time but clearly that is a point that puts Potter ahead and not behind.

el_loco_bielsa

Supports
liverpool
Really hoping we swerve him, as I suspect we’re about to do. I think he’d get shown up at a big club in the EPL.

If he’s making a step up, he needs to do it in a much more forgiving league like serie A.

mu4c_20le

It feels like you still aren't getting it.

The early days matter as let's say that is where De Zerbi is now. Potter went onto develop players like Bissouma, Caicedo, Mac Allister ect.

You can't judge De Zerbi for not doing that when he hasn't had time but clearly that is a point that puts Potter ahead and not behind.
Potter's early days were pretty boring. The only comparison the poster could've meant was his last season vs De Zerbi's one and a half. He was also talking about how enjoyable the football was, not this "credit" you seem to be so wound up about.

De Zerbi's football last year was definitely more enjoyable, he got them scoring 72 goals. Under Potter they hovered around 39, 40, 42. Then you suddenly jumped in and started saying how what I said actually makes Potter look better etc. Except I never meant to make him look bad?

OverratedOpinion

Potter's early days were pretty boring. The only comparison the poster could've meant was his last season vs De Zerbi's one and a half. He was also talking about how enjoyable the football was, not this "credit" you seem to be so wound up about.

De Zerbi's football last year was definitely more enjoyable, he got them scoring 72 goals. Under Potter they hovered around 39, 40, 42. Then you suddenly jumped in and started saying how what I said actually makes Potter look better etc. Except I never meant to make him look bad?
"Wound up"?

I don't interact with those being silly on here anymore. Block list.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Yeah, he really should've beaten Arsenal today, arguably the best team in the PL, with 30+ yrs old Welbeck uptop.

I mean it was a rubbish result but have people actually looked at the personal he has to work with ?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Is it fair to say his season got derailed by injuries? Enciso was out for a while, Mitoma hasn't always been available etc. Brighton's bench is not as deep as other clubs.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Injuries and having his best players sold and not properly replaced.

Newcastle, Brighton, United, Brentford have had the worst luck with injuries in terms of frequency.

There are some teams up there if you count the number of days their players have been injured but that's not as good of a measure as having your backup keeper out or a player out for a season is not as bad as having to change the lineup every match because of injuries. Our left back injuries for example would be much, much better if Malacia had been fit 90% of the time and Shaw and AWB had both been completely unavailable. At least we'd have some consistency that way.

BarryWinks

I still think Potter was the better manager and De Zerbi is one of those who got the perfect gig fall into his laps - think Rob. martinez after Moyes.

Potter absolutely revolutionized the way that squad played. Their underlying metrics in Potter's last season suggested that they'd have a season similar to last with a bit of luck.

Castia

Is it fair to say his season got derailed by injuries? Enciso was out for a while, Mitoma hasn't always been available etc. Brighton's bench is not as deep as other clubs.

That and the fact they sell their best player every time a window opens up. Just look at the players sold from Brighton since he’s arrived and then look at his average match day squad I mean they’re only 5 points behind us and people think he’s had a bad season

Castia

I still think Potter was the better manager and De Zerbi is one of those who got the perfect gig fall into his laps - think Rob. martinez after Moyes.

Potter absolutely revolutionized the way that squad played. Their underlying metrics in Potter's last season suggested that they'd have a season similar to last with a bit of luck.
Nah no chance. Their squad has been obliterated with sales and injuries and he’s still in with an outside chance at a top 6-7 finish. Still way over achieving even this season.

city-puma

I still remember that under Potter they went to Anfield. They conceded twice but they went toe to toe, dominated and draw the game.
Manutd over last ten years has never done the similar. People underestimating Potter are clueless.

mu4c_20le

It's fair to expect him to improve on his final season given the upward trajectory of the squad at the time, but don't think he could've achieved what de zerbi did. Potter is also more of a system coach than an attacking one, so it'd be a stretch to expect his team to suddenly score over 70 goals.

Also fair to prefer Potter who is certainly not as bad as his Chelsea spell suggests. But I don't think there is a single Brighton fan who'd take him back after zerbi took them to the next level.

Rojofiam

I still remember that under Potter they went to Anfield. They conceded twice but they went toe to toe, dominated and draw the game.
Manutd over last ten years has never done the similar. People underestimating Potter are clueless.
Same with them underestimating De Zerbi. But it will always be the same. Results dictate the hype.

Ange and RDZ are two perfect examples this season. Or compare the evaluation of ETH between this and last season.

Pickle85

Only 6 teams have conceded less than them in the league this season.
They've only kept five clean sheets all season. They always look like they'll give something away imo. Maybe I exaggerated but every time I watch them they look like they're vulnerable defensively.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
It's fair to expect him to improve on his final season given the upward trajectory of the squad at the time, but don't think he could've achieved what de zerbi did. Potter is also more of a system coach than an attacking one, so it'd be a stretch to expect his team to suddenly score over 70 goals.

Also fair to prefer Potter who is certainly not as bad as his Chelsea spell suggests. But I don't think there is a single Brighton fan who'd take him back after zerbi took them to the next level.
What "next level?"

Potter took them from relegation contenders to a top half finish. De Zerbi did well last season to finish 6th, but that was massively helped by Chelsea and Spurs being complete non-entities. Emery managed to take Villa from a relegation battle to 7th within a single season. Brighton were 4th, with four wins from the opening six, when De Zerbi took over. Five games without a win later, they were 9th.

This season they won five of the opening six, and have won just six more games after that. They've slipped from dark-horse title-contenders and "beating football" to 10th, and haven't strung two wins together since that opening run.

They've had their injury issues, but De Zerbi's entire reputation seems to be based on the five wins at the start of this season and Brighton finishing above Chelsea last season.

Sweet Square

Judging the quality of a manager based on one or two seasons is a bit pointless.

Also maybe in todays football the effect of the manager isn’t that all that great.

SambaBoy

I think he's a quality manager and he'd do very well at a big club. I can see him going Bayern in the summer.

The_Midfielder

We are not winning the league next year ..
Better to play entertaining football then .

I am all in for him

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
They have pretty tough games left. Could finish bottom half this season.

Red00012

Do not go near him, they’ve been hammered far too many times this season. We’ve far too many of those under Ten Hag no matter how impressive his style of play is

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Do not go near him, they’ve been hammered far too many times this season. We’ve far too many of those under Ten Hag no matter how impressive his style of play is
I would agree with this. He has to prove he can have his team perform relatively well for a whole season before a club signs him

Rnd898

Supports
Chelsea
So basically they'd finish pretty much where they 'belong' based on their resources as a club, rather than overachieving like last season?

Since last season they've lost Caicedo, MacAllister, Colwill and barely replaced any of them, those losses alone weakened them by at least a few places on the league table. This year they've also had other key performers from last season like Mitoma, March, Enciso and Estupinan out for lengthy periods of time so throughout the season it's largely been a very different team than the one who finished sixth last year. Their squad depth was not great to begin with so losing so many key players has definitely hurt them, and the increased match load from their first ever European campaign certainly didn't help things.

I definitely wouldn't blame De Zerbi alone for their league position this season. If anything it's very much understandable they've struggled and expecting them to continue last season's form, let alone improving on it, would have been a mighty tough ask. Then again their football has often been very naive so De Zerbi should take some of the blame too. Maybe a more pragmatic approach could have helped them at times.

Fallon d'Floor

I would agree with this. He has to prove he can have his team perform relatively well for a whole season before a club signs him
He did that 2 seasons in a row with Sassuolo. 8th two seasons in a row with a modest squad. His 2nd season was better. 11 points increase.

Boga, Berardi and Caputo did the business in attack. And he brought through Raspadori.

I wouldn't be in a rush to jump to a big club if were him. Young managers are ambitious and can rush things. Marco Silva did this and it took him awhile to find himself again at Fulham.

De Zerbri is 44. Time is on his side. At least another season or two at Brighton wouldn't be the worst thing for his career.

Get their summer business right in the summer and go again. There are multiple U23 players with room to grow in that Brighton squad.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
It's Brighton. Do you expect him to win the league with Brighton?
Normal club: you seem to have an ability to instill a system into a team, even with average players. We think that in a club with better players, you have a good chance of thriving. Please sign

United: you're not a miracle worker. Why did you not improve on that 6th place finish, despite losing talent, and playing in Europe? We don't think you can work here at United.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
So basically they'd finish pretty much where they 'belong' based on their resources as a club, rather than overachieving like last season?

Since last season they've lost Caicedo, MacAllister, Colwill and barely replaced any of them, those losses alone weakened them by at least a few places on the league table. This year they've also had other key performers from last season like Mitoma, March, Enciso and Estupinan out for lengthy periods of time so throughout the season it's largely been a very different team than the one who finished sixth last year. Their squad depth was not great to begin with so losing so many key players has definitely hurt them, and the increased match load from their first ever European campaign certainly didn't help things.

I definitely wouldn't blame De Zerbi alone for their league position this season. If anything it's very much understandable they've struggled and expecting them to continue last season's form, let alone improving on it, would have been a mighty tough ask. Then again their football has often been very naive so De Zerbi should take some of the blame too.
I was writing something similar but you've pretty much nailed it for me.

I don't know what people expect.

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
Looking at their current XI (I appreciate it has a few important players missing), I would place them near the bottom of the league in terms of player quality. With a fully fit squad they're probably top 10 at best. The squad is poor.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
How's this guy still considered as replacement for ETH ? I was in favor of it but I am now thinking about it.

O'Neil is also doing the same thing with Wolves or Iraola with Bournemouth ot Glasner with Palace.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

I definitely wouldn't blame De Zerbi alone for their league position this season. If anything it's very much understandable they've struggled and expecting them to continue last season's form, let alone improving on it, would have been a mighty tough ask. Then again their football has often been very naive so De Zerbi should take some of the blame too. Maybe a more pragmatic approach could have helped them at times.
I was writing something similar but you've pretty much nailed it for me.

I don't know what people expect.
Would you say they have a better team, squad and manager than most, if not all the teams below them currently and Bournemouth who are currently above them? I probably would. I think if they finish below 10th it would be a season of slight underachievement, they have stabilised enough as a club in comparison to those below them that top half is a realistic aim.

Granted, they've been hit with injuries which has hindered them, aswell as the European run but I don't think it's been a good season really depending on how they finish.