Roberto De Zerbi - Brighton manager

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Should be top of our list if it ends up not working out with ETH. This is no slight on ETH but I think we should have a plan in place to replace every single person at the club in case they leave/fail/die.

Chief123

Chelsea will be paying his contract compensation package next summer.

Chief123

Should be top of our list if it ends up not working out with ETH. This is no slight on ETH but I think we should have a plan in place to replace every single person at the club in case they leave/fail/die.
Blimey, I was looking forward to the season and now I’m thinking who’s replacing our manager when he gets sacked. :eek:

redshaw

Boehly will be popping back into the Brighton Boutique soon for a De Zerbi.

crossy1686

career ending
Agreed. He also looks like he could get something out of our current group of players instead of going for an Ancelotti or someone who would want 11 new players.

C'est Moi Cantona

How do Brighton do it? People were rigthly convinced they'd struggle to maintain things when Potter left, but they actually upgraded massively on him, like they seem to do with their players time and again.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
How do Brighton do it? People were rigthly convinced they'd struggle to maintain things when Potter left, but they actually upgraded massively on him, like they seem to do with their players time and again.
They have a system. The manager is a replaceable cog in that system. Don't think he'll stand out as much once he leaves.

crossy1686

career ending
People put too much stock in Potter when the reality is he’s never managed to get a team firing. De Zerbi is a much better manager and allowed Brighton to kick on.

Castia

Brighton fans must be proud of the club

They sell a star player every window yet play a great brand of football and are great at developing unknown players

They must be one of the best run clubs in Europe

Red Royal

They have a system. The manager is a replaceable cog in that system. Don't think he'll stand out as much once he leaves.
That goes for many players too. They are very good but Brighton being well drilled brings out more from them (Cucurella and Caicedo may prove this over time). There is no shortcut to good coaching.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Can we sign all the Brighton scouts and board.

They obviously know how to run a club.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Blimey, I was looking forward to the season and now I’m thinking who’s replacing our manager when he gets sacked. :eek:
I think every club should have replacements targeted at all times. City will have someone for Pep. You 100% know Brighton would have someone in mind to replace De Zerbi. It’s just good planning.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think every club should have replacements targeted at all times. City will have someone for Pep. You 100% know Brighton would have someone in mind to replace De Zerbi. It’s just good planning.
Any billion dollar company that isn’t run like a complete clown show will have a constantly evolving shortlist. Wouldn’t surprise me to find out we don’t though.

jesperjaap

The question is though is it De Zerbi or the club? Everybody raved about Potter and I always thought he would fail at Chelsea. He seems to be doing a fantastic job at Brighton, I really cant tell whether it is his management though?

Had never heard of him until Brighton but he hasnt been a manager long, seemed to fail at his firrst two clubs and do well the last two, not been anywhere long.

But liek Leicester a few seasons ago, the strength of Brighton very much seems to be the way the club is ran and the fantastic recruitment they have done to be able to play such attractive football.

I do think Colewill will be sorely missed, si be interesting to see if they have made another great deal in Igor or not, as I think they could suffer otherwise as they did against West Ham with those centre backs.

But considering they have lost Colewill, MacAllister, Sanchez and Caicedo think its remarkable how strong they still look and I think they have recruited really really well again this summer.

Verbruggen could well be the bargain of the summer, had barely heard of him but been impressed so far. Pedro club record or not in this market is decent value at £30m and I think Dahoud and Milner are also very good shorter term signings, both experienced, good pros and been under valued by fans, Milner especially was always a good cm that never played there bar a season at Villa til Liverpool took him.

I also think alongside the super hyped and rightly so Ferguson ad Mitouma, they also have two special attacking players in Encisco (shame he got injured as think he could be a big star this season) and the other who I literally woke up middle of the night and turned tv on to see a preseaosn friendly in Andriga, only one game to make my mind up that he can be (though tiny) a big player for them over the season, super talented....and of course they have added Fati which is remarkable (though fed up of pundits talking about the billion release clause and Xavi trusting Brighton to develop him.......he has stuggled with injuries and I think they would have sold him for a big fee, this isnt a world star signing liek made out, its a super talent that is struggling to get his career on track after breaking through).

So in that respect, great footballing side to watch, but I really dont know either way if its the manager or recruitment, despite them selling the majority of there star players each summer for the last three years....they still have five players that forgetting feees, I would sign for Man utd and I would have signed Caicedo, McAllister and Bissouma too so thats a lot of great signings they have made

city-puma

Their squad depth has issues. Once Europa League starts, it probably will be exposed.
their pressing is really good and organized. Five players move together to form pressing structure, no matter where it is, high, mid, or low thirds. Their core players are all good on ball, but the backups are obviously weaker or lack of experience.

Eddy_JukeZ

People keep citing Potter and Brighton's structure, but they've gone up a level with De Zerbi at the helm.

JustAGuest

Starting to believe we should be all over this before he goes to Chelsea.

Telsim

Starting to believe we should be all over this before he goes to Chelsea.
Hope you are joking. De Zerbi will fail catastrophically here, much in the same way Potter did at Chelsea. In fact, he'd be crazy to come here if he is looking for anything more than a payday.

Acole9

Outstanding
Hope you are joking. De Zerbi will fail catastrophically here, much in the same way Potter did at Chelsea. In fact, he'd be crazy to come here if he is looking for anything more than a payday.
It doesn't matter who's in charge. They'll have one hand tied behind their back instantly because of the mess at the top.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Can he even speak english? Last season they were using a translator.

Telsim

It doesn't matter who's in charge. They'll have one hand tied behind their back instantly because of the mess at the top.
Yeah, that's what I meant. Every manager who comes here will fail when he doesn't have the structure to help and balance him. The model of "Trust the manager and do everything he says" has not worked for a long time now and most other clubs have done away with it. We are adamantly refusing to let it go. De Zerbi will absolutely fail here and that has little to do with his skill as manager.

JustAGuest

Ideally we would sort that out but that seems much less realistic than getting in a new manager... Suppose he may fail but he would also get a squad that's better player for player than what he has at Brighton who arguably look like a better team than us right now.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Lured back by one of the giants of Serie A will be his next move, could easily see him at Juventus or Inter.

Castia

Top manager he’s too clever to take a job here managing a load of overpaid players who can’t be bothered to put the work In.

You cant implement a tactic or system of play if the players aren’t willing to work

PepG

Supports
Ajax
Lured back by one of the giants of Serie A will be his next move, could easily see him at Juventus or Inter.
I am pretty sure he is already high on the Manchester City list of possible replacements of Pep Guardiola. If they act smart and quick he can comfortably wait and stay at Brighton till Guardiola leaves in 2025.

SAFMUTD

It's not de Zerbi, its Brighton they have the right structure. Potter seemed the real deal and look what happened with him. It's the whole system and environment at Brighton and it's something we totally lack.

Ghirahim

He has a good group of players that can play out from the back. They played some beautiful football today.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Top manager he’s too clever to take a job here managing a load of overpaid players who can’t be bothered to put the work In.

You cant implement a tactic or system of play if the players aren’t willing to work
Which also applies to Erik.

Hence Rangnick saying we needed 10 players, Mourinho saying it would be easier to start from scratch with all new players.

De Zerbi is a very good manager and he's got Brighton playing better than Potter, but going to a highly competent club which is ambitious in the sporting sense is completely different to going to a club owned by incompetents, lead by incompetents, with a pile up of shit left by incompetents, whilst also having much more pressure than Brighton and a thousand times the scrutiny.

I cannot imagine any manager in the world coming in here and doing great. Which is not a way of shielding Erik from criticism. I just cannot imagine any sporting success here until the club bites the bullet and starts showing genuine ambition and competence.

Ludens the Red

It's not de Zerbi, its Brighton they have the right structure. Potter seemed the real deal and look what happened with him. It's the whole system and environment at Brighton and it's something we totally lack.
Nah it’s definitely a large part down to De Zerbi. Not doubting Brighton have a great structure in place but Potter got them as high as 9th. He’s already surpassed that by finishing 6th and finishing only a few wins from the top 4. Despite losing key players in the summer they’ve made a brilliant start to the season. They look far more crisp under him and are much better in the final third and that’s without actually signing an attacker. A top top coach.
He rested players today and they put that performance in with Lallana, Dahoud, Welbeck, Veltman, Lamptey on the pitch. Players I guarantee absolutely nobody on here would be wanting to see in a United shirt.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Not been at Brighton for long but as them playing brilliant football and winning games comfortably… makes me wonder why can we never have an instant revival with a new manager?

Ed9

Don't get me wrong I rate him but it seems this club just destroys all that's good. Until we're sold it's gonna be near impossible to be good again but I trust ETH.