Roberto De Zerbi

Good post.

Nice to see some perspective & context in this forum rather than the usual 'he's a fraud' after Brighton get beat or the endless comparisons to ETH.

Sure.

But when injuries get mentioned to defend our own manager, this place has a meltdown.

He's clearly a very good coach.
Be interesting to see if he moves this summer.

I think he's roughly where you'd expect Brighton to be now despite who their manager is. In that mid table zone between 12th and 8th.

Brighton would be above Spurs and Villa if they’d retained Mac Allister, Caceido and not had huge injuries to March and Mitoma.

It’s properly mad to suggest he’s not an exceptional manager.
Not suggested that at all. My point is that he isn’t good enough for the jump. Which is absolutely correct. But people will disagree for no reason

Not suggested that at all. My point is that he isn’t good enough for the jump. Which is absolutely correct. But people will disagree for no reason

Wasn’t replying directly to you. But I disagree.

Give that fella the Bayern squad and he’ll win the league. It’s the easiest top league to win and a great springboard for jobs of equal size in tougher leagues.

Makes perfect sense.

Sure.

But when injuries get mentioned to defend our own manager, this place has a meltdown.
That's because the Brighton squad cost a fraction of the price of the United squad, so you would expect more strength and depth and also that Brighton play the same attacking style of football regardless of who is playing and who is injured.

That said I think it is too early to think about getting rid of EtH.

Sure.

Because regardless of results Brighton's performances have generally remained good even with the injuries. Whereas United's performances have generally been a mess even at full strenght

United are also performing worse relative to last season than Brighton are.

Brighton are 0.2 ppg worse off. Man United are 0.32 ppg worse off. Over a season, that is a difference of 7-8 points for Brighton and 12 points for Man United.

Because regardless of results Brighton's performances have generally remained good even with the injuries. Whereas United's performances have generally been a mess even at full strenght

United have been disgraceful but it's obvious that De Zerbi has a far more clearly defined style of play than ETH. I don't think Brighton have been good, though. I have enjoyed watching them under De Zerbi, but right now, they're a poor watch.

That's because the Brighton squad cost a fraction of the price of the United squad, so you would expect more strength and depth and also that Brighton play the same attacking style of football regardless of who is playing and who is injured.

That said I think it is too early to think about getting rid of EtH.

I wouldn't argue with that. I just find it amusing that our own fans have meltdowns when injuries are used as an excuse for ETH, but are quick to mention other teams injury situations.

This is coming from someone who has lost faith in ETH btw.

Last edited:
Wasn’t replying directly to you. But I disagree.

Give that fella the Bayern squad and he’ll win the league. It’s the easiest top league to win and a great springboard for jobs of equal size in tougher leagues.

Makes perfect sense.
But why wouldn’t the same be true of someone like Emery or Gary O’Neil?

He's done nothing for me to show he’s ready for a top job and still nobody has come up with a single point to make me rethink that.

It’s not like he has the team playing beautifully. Or challenging for CL spots. I really struggle to understand the hype.

But why wouldn’t the same be true of someone like Emery or Gary O’Neil?

He's done nothing for me to show he’s ready for a top job and still nobody has come up with a single point to make me rethink that.

It’s not like he has the team playing beautifully. Or challenging for CL spots. I really struggle to understand the hype.

O’Neil has done well to get himself in that sentence.

I’d make the same argument for Ange too.

I guess I don’t see the job at Bayern as being as challenging as the other top club jobs. It’s as prestigious but it’s an easier in to elite management than almost all others at their level.

Genuine question: is he doing a better job than Potter at Brighton?

Because I remember a more enjoyable team to watch under Potter than De Zerbi

It has always been pretty comparable. I view them both as pretty similar level of coaches right now.

Potter was just very, very silly to take that Chelsea job when they were clearly a shit show. Tarnished his reputation, should really get back to a decent club asap and get things back on track.

It has always been pretty comparable. I view them both as pretty similar level of coaches right now.

Potter was just very, very silly to take that Chelsea job when they were clearly a shit show. Tarnished his reputation, should really get back to a decent club asap and get things back on track.

One name springs to mind, that of Boehly. And his Todd talks of course.

Waiting for United.

His head is elsewhere? His players know he’s leaving…

No, he’s a flavour of the season manager. I actually don’t get why people are so dismissive of Potter. His record before Chelsea was spotless, and whenever I watched his Chelsea side, they almost always played pretty well (certainly a lot better than now), created a bunch of chances, and just missed an unbelievable amount of sitters. No idea why he has been written off, while people are clamouring for the new Brighton manager, who is coasting off the work done by Potter while doing slightly worse.

Waiting for United.

Wouldn't be shocked but unless he has been directly told to by Brailsford that feels like another mistake in his career. Also very high stakes for him, we are doing the right things with our structure but clearly still a mess and he might get 2 bites of the cherry at a big club, he won't get 3. If I was him I would look to go somewhere like West Ham and remind people what I could do with a decent enough squad.

I feel he is viewed very harshly honestly.

He hasnt got it. Decent manager, nothing special. Not good enough for top clubs

I think he would definitely have a hell of a lot to prove if he did get a shot at a top club. Not sure we can definitively say he wouldn't do a good job though.

He's on the verge of being called fraud now, imagine if he comes to United...

Is some of this not a little harsh when you look at the squad he is actually working with currently?

Arsenal looked class tbf, i dont think you can criticise De Zerbi for the result today, although you're either world class or you're sh!t in today's world...

He’s still only 5 points off mastermind ten Hag. I never jumped aboard the hype train for this guy though.

He’s still only 5 points off mastermind ten Hag. I never jumped aboard the hype train for this guy though.
Yeah but we'll still most likely finish abouve them and then Ten Hag WINS

5 wins in the opening 6.

6 wins in the following 25 (and counting).

No thanks.

He's great for a midtable club. Will always give fans a spectacle and plays exciting footie. You always feel like his Brighton are either going to score a few or ship a few and I don't think he has it in him to keep it tight, which sometimes, as a side challenging for top honors, you need to

And how is that relevant to the quality of the current team?

You clearly phrased it in a way to take some degree of credit away from Potter when what you said actually makes him look even better.

De Zerbi is being judged very harshly but Potter also deserves a bit more respect than he gets.

Not a top level coach. He'd probably do better than Ten Hag but there's better to be found out there.

He's great for a midtable club. Will always give fans a spectacle and plays exciting footie. You always feel like his Brighton are either going to score a few or ship a few and I don't think he has it in him to keep it tight, which sometimes, as a side challenging for top honors, you need to

Only 6 teams have conceded less than them in the league this season.

Not when he started there he didn't.

Who do you think is a better coach out of interest?
But the poster I was responding to clearly wasn't referring to his early days when he started.

I have no idea. Based on last season it looked like he was better as he had continued potter's good work and got them scoring, somethign potter struggled with. But this season its hard to judge as they've not replaced their outgoing stars adequately, injuries, and european football.