Roberto De Zerbi

paulscholes18

Not been at Brighton for long but as them playing brilliant football and winning games comfortably… makes me wonder why can we never have an instant revival with a new manager?
TBF they were playing great football under Potter, just now they are taking their chances. Also Brighton are a well run club from top to bottom, while United are just a mess. Even if United had De Zerbi and Brighton had ETH Brighton would have still walked out the winners.

kaku06

Vulgarian
I’m intrigued by his style of play. He has taken Brighton to another level no one expected at all. Is he that good? Is this the way his teams always played? What is his body of work as a manager and his style of play at other clubs before Brighton? Can anyone shed a light on this?

AshRK

Do whatever you want but please don't join United. Your career will be ruined and fans will be calling for your head and ask for a new shiny toy.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Do whatever you want but please don't join United. Your career will be ruined and fans will be calling for your head and ask for a new shiny toy.
United fans are, by a mile, the most patient in all of football.

Eddy_JukeZ

What kind of logic is this?

Whose career was ruined here?

AshRK

United fans are, by a mile, the most patient in all of football.
Have you seen the ETH thread. We are far from patient. People want him gone and expect a new manager to perform miracles under the same structure. Funny how people thought sacking Jose will solve everything, same sacking Ole will solve everything, now sacking ETH will solve everything. Good luck with this merry go round because the next manager will also be called out

Yagami

Good post resistant
I’m intrigued by his style of play. He has taken Brighton to another level no one expected at all. Is he that good? Is this the way his teams always played? What is his body of work as a manager and his style of play at other clubs before Brighton? Can anyone shed a light on this?
I watch a fair bit of Serie A, and, after Sassuolo signed Matheus Henrique, I tried to watch them whenever he played in particular, and his Sassuolo side was pretty similar.

His work at Brighton is more impressive as there are a lot more sides here who try and dominate possession and territory. In Italy, the majority of the sides are happy sitting off so his approach stood out there.

Big Ben Foster

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Supports
Also support Vasco da Gama
Have you seen the ETH thread. We are far from patient. People want him gone and expect a new manager to perform miracles under the same structure. Funny how people thought sacking Jose will solve everything, same sacking Ole will solve everything, now sacking ETH will solve everything. Good luck with this merry go round because the next manager will also be called out
Wait until you see what other clubs' online fans say about their own managers. Judging by some of these posts, you'd think we're the only fanbase that ever considers sacking managers - which is obviously not the case.

For the record, I don't think ETH should be sacked and I think any manager who operates under our current structure (or lack thereof) will struggle. I even said as much when ETH was first hired.

justboy68

He's doing an excellent job there for sure. Clearly a talented coach. Coach being the key word. We would destroy him too with our joke owners and structure.

Theonas

Scout
He will clearly be at a bigger job soon. His imprint on his team is just so clear especially after losing the likes of Caicedo and Mac Allister who many thought were so key to the way they played. It would be really interesting to see how he handles a high pressure environment with a job where the expectation is to win and consistently challenge.

Eddy_JukeZ

Quite a few players
LVGs
And if hes not careful ETHs
This is nonsensical.

LVG got the Holland job afterwards.

Loads of players have managed just fine afterwards.

If they're a spent force beforehand and decline even further here, that's not their career being ruined. It's just them being exposed that they're not as good as they were.

Eddy_JukeZ

What kind of ignorant question is it?

ETH the most sought after manager before joining us is now being compared to Ole in the manager thread.
We were the only big club in for him. Let's not invent stuff.

This isn't like Pep after taking his sabbatical.

AshRK

We were the only big club in for him. Let's not invent stuff.

This isn't like Pep after taking his sabbatical.
Was linked to Bayern as well. He may not be a pep but he is also not some dud fellow. Shame how things are going right now.

Tyrion

TBF they were playing great football under Potter, just now they are taking their chances. Also Brighton are a well run club from top to bottom, while United are just a mess. Even if United had De Zerbi and Brighton had ETH Brighton would have still walked out the winners.
Exactly. De Zerbi is getting the same praise now that Potter got. The old fashioned pundits just credit managers when things go well and ignore what's really happening. Brighton are clearly the best run club in England and De Zerbi is a symptom of that, not the cause.

Tyrion

What kind of logic is this?

Whose career was ruined here?
If I was a friend of De Zerbi, I'd be begging him not to join United. 2 players accused of domestic violence still contracted to the club, Sancho not working and Maguire not leaving, terrible owners, a half dead sale, bad recruitment, media pressure and a fan base that'll turn on you within a bad few weeks.

Every position he'd want filled would be done poorly and at an inflated price and the starting squad would be a bad fit for him anyway. His tactics rely on work and intelligence, something most of our squad lacks.

Eddy_JukeZ

If I was a friend of De Zerbi, I'd be begging him not to join United. 2 players accused of domestic violence still contracted to the club, Sancho not working and Maguire not leaving, terrible owners, a half dead sale, bad recruitment, media pressure and a fan base that'll turn on you within a bad few weeks.

Every position he'd want filled would be done poorly and at an inflated price and the starting squad would be a bad fit for him anyway. His tactics rely on work and intelligence, something most of our squad lacks.
We have the most lenient fan base of any top club.

Moyes would have been hounded out much season at Barcelona or Real. Same with Ole.

Tyrion

Moyes would have been hounded out much season at Barcelona or Real. Same with Ole.
I agree on Moyes but I think we've changed since then. I've been surprised at how quickly some on here have turned on ETH. He's dealing with a team half full of overpaid wasters and alleged abusers and some here think he's the problem.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast

I agree with that, others would say we are sack happy, it’s just we demand the best and when your shovelling shit to us your not going to last long for the fans, its owners who wait too long always till CL is beyond reach.

what I see with RDZ is an ability to change tactics mid game generally for the positive, that’s an area ETH struggles with and it looks as if ETH still hasn’t come to terms with the pace of the league yet and how fast managers figure you out, the good managers are always evolving, ETH has stood still.

Eddy_JukeZ

I agree on Moyes but I think we've changed since then. I've been surprised at how quickly some on here have turned on ETH. He's dealing with a team half full of overpaid wasters and alleged abusers and some here think he's the problem.
Pretty sure if you ran a poll on ETH, the majority are still backing him(as am I - though I have worries).

If some think ETH is a problem, I'm pretty sure they also think there's other problems. It doesn't have to black and white. He could be a problem, but not be the singular problem.

TheRedHearted

He would only come with his Brighton buddies with him (scouting too)

Sensational. Brighton dominate the ball against every PL opponent bar City. The transformation is nuts. Potter got them playing coherent, solid, progressive football but De Zerbi has put them on steroids.
Came to Old Trafford and dominated the game yet again. With a second string team out ffs. He needs to be on our radar.

zaafi

Came to Old Trafford and dominated the game yet again. With a second string team out ffs. He needs to be on our radar.
Manager wouldn't matter much here. The whole club is in disaster and chaos. Klopp or Pep wouldn't be able to do anything here. De Zerbi would probably look like an amateur here, although he is a fantastic manager.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Manager wouldn't matter much here. The whole club is in disaster and chaos. Klopp or Pep wouldn't be able to do anything here. De Zerbi would probably look like an amateur here, although he is a fantastic manager.
Klopp is precisely someone I would trust to make a difference. Mainz, Dortmund, Liverpool.. everywhere he went he took over clubs, which weren't in particularly great shape and had great success with them.

kaku06

Vulgarian
As much as I like him I don’t think he would be able to do here what he’s doing at Brighton. I don’t think he would be able to make some of our pampered lazy fecks to work hard. If they can ignore Jose, Ole and ten hag he has no chance. How would he able to make players like Rashford bust a gut and track back when no manager can make him do that? Neither you can sell him nor you can even drop him. De zerbi would be standing on the sidelines looking hopeless and helpless watching it all unfold without able to do anything about it.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Ye I get that but surely you’d expect us to be playing some kind of decent football now. The structure shouldn’t affect ETH coaching and his ability to coach this squad to play a certain way. Do we just have dumb players that don’t listen or can’t take in ideas? Rashford for example as worked under every single manager since LVG and he just doesn’t play the way the managers want, he only has 1 style of play and I think it’s counter attacking, that’s what Rashfords best at, he ain’t good in a possession based team.

C'est Moi Cantona

If Brighton had got Ten Hag as a bit of an unknown before he went to Ajax, then he'd likely have thrived at such a well run club, and we'd all be looking in from the outside thinking he is the answer to our problems.

It says more about Brighton than De Zerbi that they can just seamlessly carry on the way they do, Potter been taken out that sort of environment into a mess of a club tells you how important the clubs structure is.

As people have said, right now we'd waste a talented manager like De Zerbi, like we will Ten Hag if the sale doesn't happen soon.

Rob

Supports
Liverpool
I read somewhere that the combined cost of his starting XI Yesterday was something like €18 million, which is incredible considering the level they played at.

horsechoker

The Caf's Ezza.
If Brighton had got Ten Hag as a bit of an unknown before he went to Ajax, then he'd likely have thrived at such a well run club, and we'd all be looking in from the outside thinking he is the answer to our problems.

It says more about Brighton than De Zerbi that they can just seamlessly carry on the way they do, Potter been taken out that sort of environment into a mess of a club tells you how important the clubs structure is.

As people have said, right now we'd waste a talented manager like De Zerbi, like we will Ten Hag if the sale doesn't happen soon.
Yeah it's why de Zerbi would struggle here but do well at City. There's only so much blame you can lay at managers' doors before you realise where the actual problem lies.

Redstain

The sale doesn't change anything it's only influential if the new owners get rid of Murtough and Arnold. Murtough is a bigger issue than the manager because he doesn't offer anything significant to the degree other DOF do. Especially having observed the Newcastle documentary the hands on element of Ashworth is reminiscent of what a DOF should be from the outside looking in.

The biggest issue with United is due to the terrible structure the manager must take on a plethora of responsibilities. The manager is therefore a coach / manager / minimalist footballing director. The club have reintegrated the exact same model that was existent under SAF when the most successful clubs have clearly demonstrated that this isn't the way to move forward.

For example if Murtough was diligent at his job and hired ETH for the principles he demonstrated at Ajax that should be the sole direction of the team. But when the manager wants to change that identity and offer up an alternative there should be deliberation made to keep things consistent. This isn't me bashing the manager it's more Murtough lack of feasibility to do anything when it comes to pioneering the direction of the team because no matter how you look at it he is the superior to any manager that is acquired.

I'm absolutely disgusted with how this club is run.

Litch

Its crazy, aside from the irish Lad, you arguably would sign one of those players, add that to selling their best players, and the syle of football is that embedded, changes nothing.
Ready made Pep replacement at this rate...

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
His team looked coached on an absolute different level to ours...

Clearly won the tactical "battle" yesterday - not that it was much of a contest.

GoonerBear

Supports
Arsenal
I agree with that, others would say we are sack happy, it’s just we demand the best and when your shovelling shit to us your not going to last long for the fans, its owners who wait too long always till CL is beyond reach.

what I see with RDZ is an ability to change tactics mid game generally for the positive, that’s an area ETH struggles with and it looks as if ETH still hasn’t come to terms with the pace of the league yet and how fast managers figure you out, the good managers are always evolving, ETH has stood still.
Maybe that's part of the problem as well. Let's be honest in the past near 120 years you've had 2 different managers that's won the league, Busby and Ferguson. 2 absolute giants and legends of the game that's just very hard or basically impossible to replicate. Even then Ferguson needed lots of time and was very close to the sack.

Unfortunately in modern football, not just at Utd, it's very difficult to get both the time / patience and the backing needed. Arsenal have afforded Arteta both and we've seen improvement, but I'm not sure if that's going to be enough to translate to several pieces of silverware, as competition, especially with Pep and City currently, is just so fierce. But anything other than winning the league or Champions League is basically deemed as failure these days.

Last edited:

Revan

Assumptionman
He is everything that United fans pretend EtH is.

Young (as in 44 vs 53), plays good attacking football (unlike us), tactically astute (unlike us) and seems to have built a well-coached team (unlike us).

If Pep leaves City, I can see City quickly getting him.