Roberto Firmino | Liverpool player

Bwuk

I reckon Firmino will be gash. He's too similar to Coutinho. Don't know why they think we wanted him either.
Posted this in another thread, and stand by this opinion. He's a lesser version of Coutinho.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
He is more of a second striker and less of a midfielder and he needs to play centrally. He won´t give the team control, if they struggle. Rodgers has to play him behind Benteke, but the problem is, that Coutinho has to play in that area as well and non of those three players really shines out wide. It makes the whole attack very narrow and the full-backs won´t be able to make up for that against the better teams of the league. So Rodgers has use one out wide, where he is a lot less efficient or he has to field Ibe additionally, which is pretty crazy gung-ho. All that get worse, because they don´t have a quality DM, who can anchor the midfield by himself. So to make sure, that the midfield is not getting overrun he has to field 3 midfielders, which limits his options in the attack. I wouldn´t be surprised if Rodgers swaps frequently between a 451 (using players out of position), a narrow diamond (won´t work without Sturridge), a gung-ho 424 and even going back to a back3. Non of it will really work so he´ll cycle between those things.
Each transfer by itself could have made sense, but they ended up with an unbalanced squad.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Seems a bit silly to make a fairly expensive new signing and not play him yet 5 games into the season.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've seen all of Liverpool's games so far this season, he actually hasn't done a single thing of note.
Odd, I've seen a few of their games and I remember Firmino hitting the post with one long drive and doing some nice skills in general to set off some counter attacks. The problem is that he's asking to track back and that isn't something that Firmino was doing at Hoffenheim. All of last season he played as the AM and not on the wing which is where he's being asked to play for Liverpool. Basically they're playing him in the wrong position. I always find it odd when a club spends a huge amount of money for a player then asks them to change their position. It's bizarre.

Sphaero

Struggling to explain his genius to the hoi polloi
Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Posted this in another thread, and stand by this opinion. He's a lesser version of Coutinho.
The only real similarity they have is, that they both are way stronger centrally like @PedroMendez said.

Outside of that they don´t have much in common. Coutinho excels way more in terms of playmaking, building up attacks and infusing creativity. Firmino is clearly a player for the final third of the pitch and is on the pitch either for the final pass or scoring goals by himself. He clearly leans more towards the role as a striker than a midfielder.

It is basically like calling Götze and Reus the same player type, just because both drift inwards towards the goal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Agreed @Sphaero

Interesting that if you look at his stats compared to his Hoffenheim ones they're pretty similar except these:

Shots:
15/16 Liverpool - 1.6
14/15 Hoffenheim - 2.9
13/14 Hoffenheim - 2.9

Tackles:
15/16 Liverpool - 6.1
14/15 Hoffenheim - 2.7
13/14 Hoffenheim - 2.5

Dribbles:
15/16 Liverpool - 2.9
14/15 Hoffenheim - 4.3
13/14 Hoffenheim - 4.6

Dispossessed:
15/16 Liverpool - 5.7
14/15 Hoffenheim - 2.3
13/14 Hoffenheim - 3.3

His Hoffenheim stats are pretty much identical for both seasons. But he's being asked to do far more defensive work and he's losing possession more which I assume is down to him playing an unfamiliar position. As his Brazil stats are similar to the Hoffenheim ones.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Odd, I've seen a few of their games and I remember Firmino hitting the post with one long drive and doing some nice skills in general to set off some counter attacks. The problem is that he's asking to track back and that isn't something that Firmino was doing at Hoffenheim. All of last season he played as the AM and not on the wing which is where he's being asked to play for Liverpool. Basically they're playing him in the wrong position. I always find it odd when a club spends a huge amount of money for a player then asks them to change their position. It's bizarre.
Maybe being played out of position is the problem (I didn't follow him at Hoffenheim and had never heard of him before he moved to Liverpool tbf). Although, having seen their games so far this season, I really can't remember anything he's done. It might not be his fault if Rodgers is using him incorrectly, but he's definitely been underwhelming so far.

PedroMendez

Acolyte
Those stats are not really that surprising(good example, that stats can mislead). He isn´t the kind of player who is good at dribbling past players. He has a good first touch and has quick feet which allows him to control the ball in tight space between defenders, so he can finish/assist. He is wasted as winger, because it is fairly easy to defend against him in a 1v1 situation, when the goal is far away.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
He's a good player but was way overpriced. His numbers in the Bundesliga looked good because he played for the ultimative gung-ho attacking team. He'll do good in a well working team (which Liverpool isn't right now obviously) but he won't take them to another level, especially because he's at his best in an area which they had already covered by Coutinho.
Big waste of money from Liverpool.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Those stats are not really that surprising(good example, that stats can mislead). He isn´t the kind of player who is good at dribbling past players. He has a good first touch and has quick feet which allows him to control the ball in tight space between defenders, so he can finish/assist. He is wasted as winger, because it is fairly easy to defend against him in a 1v1 situation, when the goal is far away.
He was for Hoffenheim and completely agreed that as a winger he's wasted. Which is why i'm bemused why Rodgers is playing him there.

maze

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
so how has he been doing so far? from what i've just read, they keep playing him as a winger with defensive duties? jeez.

#freeroberto

fontaine

Ful Ful Ful Member Full Member Full Member
he sucked for brazil also, big time

one thing surprised me, i thought he was going to be pacey.. no, slower than robinho at copa america

Loublaze

ATLien
he sucked for brazil also, big time

one thing surprised me, i thought he was going to be pacey.. no, slower than robinho at copa america
I don't know why people thought he's pacy....you can tell he isn't just by looking at his clips on youtube. When we were linked with him I wasn't impressed and thought Felipe Anderson would be a more exciting signing

Sigma

Yeah he's similar to Coutinho, don't really know why they bought him when they only have 1 real winger, Ibe.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Seems a bit silly to make a fairly expensive new signing and not play him yet 5 games into the season.
He was a committee signing.

It's only for the players he asked for specifically that Rodgers bothered to ask himself how to get the best out of that player. For the rest, it was sink or swim in whatever garbage position they were thrown into to put out some fires.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Leaving in the summer. Wonder if he'll come to United if Kane doesn't come. :)

432JuanMata

Leaving in the summer. Wonder if he'll come to United if Kane doesn't come. :)
If Ten Haag had faith in the wingers getting 20+ goals each he be the perfect striker. He is a defensive striker and unselfish. .Holds the ball up well and creates space for the wingers to make runs. He is the reason that Salah and Mane where so lethal