Rodrigo Duterte Phillipine 'Vigilante' President Elect

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So what's the latest on this guy's administration?

Haven't heard a thing lately.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I watched a 20 min interview with this guy and was surprised at how open he was.

If I survive the CIA
When asked if he expects to be assasinated:
They do it. Does that surprise you?
About China & Russia:
It's only Russia and China who can be relied on with their words. America is double talk.

calodo2003

Flaming Full Member
Don’t think I’ve ever seen the words ‘Trump’ & ‘pragmatic’ so close together in a phrase before.

Foxbatt

`he is losing control of his administration. It is a free for all in his administration now. Departments fighting other departments on twitter. For a man like Dutarte, he must be really sick to let it happen. He dare not sack anyone who goes against him now. I think he is fed up and want to end his term which is end of this year.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Probably controversial, but I'd put this guy closer to the mould of someone like Lee Kuan Yew rather than Kim Jong Il. Hard man with no time for Western liberal sensitivities but surprisingly tolerant to minorities.

He's already come out and denounced the Chinese strongly over South China Sea territorial disputes. Certainly not shying from a fight.
Just saw this thread and this post.

What a ridiculous statement :lol: :lol: :lol:

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees
Last I checked he hadn’t managed to install his son as his successor yet, that’s less than Lee did. ;)
He's a nutjob killing his own people and offending the rest of the world. That's Kim Jong II all over.

If he has access to nuclear weapons, he'll be threatening everyone with it.

InfiniteBoredom

He's a nutjob killing his own people and offending the rest of the world. That's Kim Jong II all over.

If he has access to nuclear weapons, he'll be threatening everyone with it.
He’s a hard right ‘law and order’ politician who would be a dime a dozen in the US South in the 60s/70s, and not that much different from most third world SEA country leaders. The only noticeable difference is that he’s loud and a bit Trumpy, but that’s still far far away from Kim Jong-il, or his father, or his son, for that matter.

And comparing him with LKY was not even a praise. You are talking about a guy who was PM for 40 years, who installed the next PM who was his right hand man and his son has been PM for 20 years. Singapore has some of the most draconian drug laws in the world and execute foreign nationals despite protests, that’s pretty fecking sinister if you remove the glitz and glam of a former British colony which has a reputation for environment and public order.

Foxbatt

Last I checked he hadn’t managed to install his son as his successor yet, that’s less than Lee did. ;)
When he became Mayor of Davao, you can't even get out in the night. It was really dangerous. He cleaned it up. There were drug pushers on the streets and robbery and stabbing every night. Now it's one of the safest. He banned smoking in public. Now no one smokes in public. He still has his three bedroom house in Davao. Simple house. He is not corrupt. He is on record saying that he doesn't want any of his children running for President.
He is a man of the street. He is most popular outside of Manila and the big cities.
He has banned any official in the government from cursing in public. He said only he is allowed to curse.
He is fairly educated and was a prosecutor for a long time. He is very tolerant as far as religion is concerned. He made Islamic holidays mandatory in Mindanano. He calls it as he sees it.
That said I feel he is just waiting to get out. He is sick and old and just wants to get back home and relax and ride his motorcycle.
Don't believe the western narrative of jailing reporters. No reporter has been jailed by him. His most vitriolic critics are still around and saying what they want to say. The biggest news outlets are owned by the opposition.