Rodrigo Duterte Phillipine 'Vigilante' President Elect

InfiniteBoredom

Ok, so I haven't been to a lot of places...nine or ten countries but I've never needed to bring along extra cash to grease officials and I think that any nation in which a tourist needs to do this has significant issues.
I was speaking in general terms. If you don't have any intention of violating the laws then you don't need it, but in case you get entangled in some sort of trouble and law enforcement is called in, some dough wouldn't go amiss.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I was speaking in general terms. If you don't have any intention of violating the laws then you don't need it, but in case you get entangled in some sort of trouble and law enforcement is called in, some dough wouldn't go amiss.
Not even thinkable in Canada, the US, England, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, etc. Indeed, attempting to do so in these countries and others like them will actually land you in jail not keep you out of it.

As I said, having to commit resources to use for bribing law enforcement in a particular country while you're visiting belies serious problems.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
Not even thinkable in Canada, the US, England, Germany, France, Luxembourg, Belgium, etc. Indeed, attempting to do so in these countries and others like them will actually land you in jail not keep you out of it.

As I said, having to commit resources to use for bribing law enforcement in a particular country while you're visiting belies serious problems.
True, but bribing police in a foreign country with $20-$40 is still cheaper than a $200 traffic ticket in the US/Canada. So yes, it's wrong - but not always bad.
The bigger problem is that some people can afford bigger bribes to make more serious crimes go away.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
True, but bribing police in a foreign country with $20-$40 is still cheaper than a $200 traffic ticket in the US/Canada. So yes, it's wrong - but not always bad.
The bigger problem is that some people can afford bigger bribes to make more serious crimes go away.
True, it was the bigger stuff that I was referring to.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
The guy is a maniac. A Christain fundamentalist is just as dangerous as a Muslim one.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
If you have no intention of doing blows, you'd be fairly safe there.

The way you lot go on and on in this thread, it sounds like Syria.

I've been chased by crack heads with knives in Singapore, you'd have thought it's the safest place on earth.
What kind of shit you stir at singapore.

Even a guy like me is feared down there. Lol

InfiniteBoredom

What kind of shit you stir at singapore.

Even a guy like me is feared down there. Lol
I was at Kallang having hotpot, then headed over with a couple of friends to Geylang for a... uhm... session. We went into a fairly shady spot where the usual gangsters congregate (cracking ladies, mind). They were having a fight that day and we got caught in the crossfire (or cross-knives?). They were off their tits on drugs and alcohol.

Minutes after we escaped the scene, the police came and rounded them up.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
A couple decades ago, he wouldn't last long given the risks he's taking with the Philippines' alliance with the US. Maybe he'll be deposed in the next year or so. :lol:

lem8sh

Philippines secret death squads: officer claims police teams behind wave of killings

“We are not that bad policemen or bad individuals. We are just a tool, we are just angels that God gave talent to, you know, to get these bad souls back to heaven and cleanse them.”

The words flow unnervingly from the mouth of the policeman, a senior officer in the Philippines national police (PNP), as he explains his role in 87 killings in the past three months.

It’s not about killing for pleasure, or being a “homicidal maniac”, he says. There is a higher purpose at play.

“We are here as angels. Like St Michael and St Gabriel, right,” he says.

Well in excess of 3,600 people have been killed in the Philippines since 1 July this year, when Rodrigo Duterte was inaugurated as president and initiated his war on drugs and crime. More than half of those murders have been perpetrated by unknown vigilantes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-squads-police-officer-teams-behind-killings

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Philippines secret death squads: officer claims police teams behind wave of killings

“We are not that bad policemen or bad individuals. We are just a tool, we are just angels that God gave talent to, you know, to get these bad souls back to heaven and cleanse them.”

The words flow unnervingly from the mouth of the policeman, a senior officer in the Philippines national police (PNP), as he explains his role in 87 killings in the past three months.

It’s not about killing for pleasure, or being a “homicidal maniac”, he says. There is a higher purpose at play.

“We are here as angels. Like St Michael and St Gabriel, right,” he says.

Well in excess of 3,600 people have been killed in the Philippines since 1 July this year, when Rodrigo Duterte was inaugurated as president and initiated his war on drugs and crime. More than half of those murders have been perpetrated by unknown vigilantes.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...h-squads-police-officer-teams-behind-killings
Brutal face of capitalism#578

Gavekal did a report today on whether 'the mayhem caused by Duterte's death squads is fully priced into the market'. Buy when there's blood on the streets!

Adisa

Religion is often used to justify horrible acts. Nothing else, bar cocaine and amphetamines, instills agents of destruction with the courage to commit these atrocities.
They believe God will forgive them for carrying out his will. It is incredible, the things people will do in the name of God.
These lot forgot to read the Ten Commandments.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
It's crazy what's going on over there (some nsfw pics).

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-duterte-philippines-drugs-killings.html?_r=0

They tricked users (not just dealers) into turning themselves in, thinking they were going to be put into a drug treatment programme, and are now killing them.

Oh, and Trump supports these methods.

Side note, the NY Times website is on another level
That was an insightful article. You can clearly see the direction in which this is going, start with the drug pushers, then the users and finally it ends as an instrument for settling scores. In Bangladesh they call these types of killings "Crossfire" as opposed to the Filipino term "Nanlaban".

Abizzz

So Duterte has notched up the murders one more bit:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...rders-police-to-kill-idiots-who-resist-arrest

Now he's giving the police license to kill anybody they see fit to kill. When will the west sanction this regime? Thousands upon thousands dead without trial, and a president who celebrates it.

Surely this must be the most inhumane government currently in power in any major nation. What can/should Europe and the United States do to stop this, and at which point are we complicit in supporting this regime by trading with it (including the bullets used to kill)?

Neutral

BTV
That was an insightful article. You can clearly see the direction in which this is going, start with the drug pushers, then the users and finally it ends as an instrument for settling scores. In Bangladesh they call these types of killings "Crossfire" as opposed to the Filipino term "Nanlaban".
Crossfire and encounters are the only thing that stopped Bangladesh from becoming a failed state. Were some innocent people killed - without doubt. Is it acceptable? No.

But...and there is always a but, because the world and reality doesn't work in absolutes.

A lack of credible judicial institutions is why crossfire/encounters took/take place in countries like Bangladesh. In Bangladesh at least historically - very few politicians or political opponents have been taken out in this manner. The BNP prefers to throw grenades at public events or try to wipe out an entire extended family of the nations founder - including pregnant women and children.

And when the special forces cross an unspoken line - this is what happens

Narayanganj 7-murder: HC gives death to 15, life to 11

The High Court today upheld death for 15 convicts while commuting the penalty of 11 others – all of whom were sentenced to death by lower court in the sensational Narayanganj seven-murder cases.

However, the court upheld the jail sentence of the other accused.

Former Awami League man Nur Hossain, the then commanding officer of Rab-11 in Narayanganj Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, the then company commanders of Rab-11 Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander Masud Rana are among the convicts who were awarded the capital punishment.

http://www.thedailystar.net/country...urt-bangladesh-death-reference-appeal-1452373

Commissioned Army Officers being sentenced to death - so there is recourse for victims.

In the Philippines - he's taking out drug dealers but also people he considers to be 'opponents'

Last edited:

RedTiger

Half mast
Crossfire and encounters are the only thing that stopped Bangladesh from becoming a failed state. Were some innocent people killed - without doubt. Is it acceptable? No.

But...and there is always a but, because the world and reality doesn't work in absolutes.

A lack of credible judicial institutions is why crossfire/encounters took/take place in countries like Bangladesh. In Bangladesh at least historically - very few politicians or political opponents have been taken out in this manner. The BNP prefers to throw grenades at public events or try to wipe out an entire extended family of the nations founder - including pregnant women and children.

And when the special forces cross an unspoken line - this is what happens

Narayanganj 7-murder: HC gives death to 15, life to 11

The High Court today upheld death for 15 convicts while commuting the penalty of 11 others – all of whom were sentenced to death by lower court in the sensational Narayanganj seven-murder cases.

However, the court upheld the jail sentence of the other accused.

Former Awami League man Nur Hossain, the then commanding officer of Rab-11 in Narayanganj Lt Col Tareque Sayeed Mohammad, the then company commanders of Rab-11 Maj Arif Hossain and Lt Commander Masud Rana are among the convicts who were awarded the capital punishment.

http://www.thedailystar.net/country...urt-bangladesh-death-reference-appeal-1452373

Commissioned Army Officers being sentenced to death - so there is recourse for victims.

In the Philippines - he's taking out drug dealers but also people he considers to be 'opponents'
That's actually uplifting, the fact that one of them was an AL activist is even better.

Abizzz

We can't do anything. We are also not complicit. Ending trade with them would just create additional harm.
All sanctions create additional harm initially, why should that make a difference? He won't be stopped from abroad, that much I agree with, but shouldn't the little influence we do have be used to weaken him? I'm sure international isolation would weaken his position at home dramatically, there is no way the Phillipines could sustain their current wealth without international trade with the worlds largest economies.

Does anybody still believe this is a 'war on drugs'? He is cementing his position by killing off opposition, and he's not even trying to hide it. He's gone from killing 'Traffickers' to 'users' and now to 'idiots'. In my opinion we are complicit if we continue to trade with them and act as if nothing is happening, because we help sustain the economic situation that allows his presidency.

I'd boycott them on a personal level, but their main exports aren't consumer goods, and there is no way of knowing if the electronics I buy contain wiring, circuits or semicondocturs sourced there.

RedTiger

Half mast
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/oct/12/philippines-rodrigo-duterte-police-war-drugs

Police told to stop the 'war on drugs' and to leave it to the 'Drug enforcement agency'. Not sure if this is good news... might reduce the killing but also create an all out 'death squad' ?
Pretty sure it's because of the post I made above yours.

His son was implicated in drug trafficking and now he doesn't want to kill his little boy so he's stopping the "war" on drugs.

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Pretty sure it's because of the post I made above yours.

His son was implicated in drug trafficking and now he doesn't want to kill his little boy so he's stopping the "war" on drugs.
Didnt he say a while ago that he would even kill his own son if he was ever caught with drugs? What a fecking pussy!

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Didnt he say a while ago that he would even kill his own son if he was ever caught with drugs? What a fecking pussy!
So he's a psychopath but still not as much as Stalin?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yakov_Dzhugashvili#Second_World_War

The Germans later offered to exchange Yakov for Friedrich Paulus, the German Field Marshal captured by the Soviets after the Battle of Stalingrad, but Stalin turned the offer down, allegedly saying, "I will not trade a Marshal for a Lieutenant."[7] According to some sources, there was another proposition as well, that Hitler wanted to exchange Yakov for Hitler's nephew Leo Raubal; this proposition was not accepted either.[8] While Soviet propaganda always asserted that Dzhugashvili was captured[citation needed], Stalin’s daughter, Svetlana Alliluyeva, wrote in her memoirs that her father believed his son deliberately surrendered to the Germans after being encouraged to do so by his wife. Stalin, she wrote, had Yulia imprisoned and interrogated as a result.

Adisa

Reminder that some countries have already elected anarchy.