Rodrigo Possebon

prateik

so what next for him

loan to a championship club where he gets games ?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think he's returning to form. Against Villa he put in a good shift and defended well. He's only 20 so it depends. I think he'll feature in the reserves or perhaps if someone shows an interest he may go on loan for experience but then again for me it should be a premiership club and there should be some sort of promise that he will get games in a good percentage of games

But I don't think that will happen and we've seen how lower clubs have more respect for our players development. It'll be an interesting summer that's for sure.

datura

I think he's returning to form. Against Villa he put in a good shift and defended well. He's only 20 so it depends. I think he'll feature in the reserves or perhaps if someone shows an interest he may go on loan for experience but then again for me it should be a premiership club and there should be some sort of promise that he will get games in a good percentage of games

But I don't think that will happen and we've seen how lower clubs have more respect for our players development. It'll be an interesting summer that's for sure.
It's not about respect for our players development, it's about doing the best for their club, ie their jobs. Very strange comment.

Brophs

The One and Only
I thought he looked a good prospect in his early days with us. He was composed on the ball, and he looked like he knew the position well.

Since then he's stalled. His only hope is going somewhere on loan where they'll play him every week. Otherwise I don't see him having a chance.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
I think he's improved in his last few games, after looking hopeless in his first few weeks/months back at the club. He didn't look to be holding back in tackles against Villa, that's for sure.

Feck know where he goes from here but he got a fair few first-team opportunities (right up until he got nailed by Pogatetz) so the coaching staff must see something they like and he is still quite young...

UnitedBoy

Redcafe Yahoo Pool champion 2007
looked really promising before the injury. then he went on loan where it was a disaster apparently, so tht must have been a kick in the teeth and a big confidence blow.

He is back playing for the reserves, and looking quite good recently.
i think he will get a few more fiirst team chances, then go from there.
Really like his name.

Striker10

It's not about respect for our players development, it's about doing the best for their club, ie their jobs. Very strange comment.
it's not a strange comment and we can only speculate on what they tell our players ie rossi. You'll get games....still haven't forgiven the feckers for that.

Lower devision clubs give our kids a chance time and time again because they know 9/10 they're better then what they have and that's enough. If Rodrigo went to a premiership club, no one could say he'd get games and therefore you have to ask why they want him in the first place - taking him away from a club that perhaps really wants him and trusts he can do a good job.

What is perhaps strange is you writing him off once he's coming into a bit of form if you want to talk like that but then we talk about opinions again don't we?

datura

it's not a strange comment and we can only speculate on what they tell our players ie rossi. You'll get games....still haven't forgiven the feckers for that.

Lower devision clubs give our kids a chance time and time again because they know 9/10 they're better then what they have and that's enough. If Rodrigo went to a premiership club, no one could say he'd get games and therefore you have to ask why they want him in the first place - taking him away from a club that perhaps really wants him and trusts he can do a good job.

What is perhaps strange is you writing him off once he's coming into a bit of form if you want to talk like that but then we talk about opinions again don't we?
I was responding to your specific statement about clubs having no respect for our players development and you have just effectively agreed with me.

I didn't actually write him off, I just don't think he will be here in the summer. I thought loaning him out to a Portuguese side rather than a Championship side was fairly illuminating on his future. If you want to prepare him for Premiership football surely a loan at a good Championship club would be more advantageous?

I also don't think his form has been great at all, and he wasn't particularly good against Villa.

x42bn6

Loan with a view to a permanent deal, maybe on the continent, methinks.

With the 25-player rule coming into play you have to consider whether he's really going to make it or not and he will be expendable.

A shame because he's a classy player with great vision and passing, but I don't think he'll make it here. But he has a good career in front of him.

Eto'odinho

Retard magnet
Curtains for him. He is a decent passer, but he looks like another Carrick in that he doesn't impose himself and at best can only be described as a water carrier.

Fitzjames

Appears to be on his way out.
No squad number this year. And he is listed with the Reserves on website while others like Gill and Dudgeon are shown in the First Team Squad.
Also shown in error as on loan to Sporting Braga (which he was last year).

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
The listings are out of date - they reflect last season's squad numbers. Gill and Dudgeon both had shirts because they were named on the bench I think.

So, no news - but still, you're probably right.

Striker10

think he'll be loaned out at some point, hopefully to an English club

Fitzjames

The listings are out of date - they reflect last season's squad numbers. Gill and Dudgeon both had shirts because they were named on the bench I think.

So, no news - but still, you're probably right.
Id been watching the MUFC website for a few days to see Hernandez and Smalling.
Until today both were shown as "TBC". Now they have 14/12.
Possebon until today was listed with the First term squad as 34 with the on loan sign accross him.
Now he is with the Reserve squad and still has the on loan sign. So youre right that its unchanged except hes demoted to Reserve squad.

Yesterday the website "Football squads" added Chelsea and United but in Uniteds case only went as far as #31

PS18

Possebon wasn't assigned a squad number last season though, so it's possible they were just correcting an error ahead of rejigging things when the new numbers are released presumably later this week.

Just as an example - Craig Cathcart's on there still as #37, despite it looking almost certain that he's leaving to join Blackpool. He's still on there and he genuinely is (by the looks of it) 'on the way out', so I wouldn't read too much into it.

kevg

About to join Santos on a 4 year deal according to manutd.com

Jake

Mine's too big and gay.
Is there any more news on this lad? I thought he was going to turn into a good player for us and he has just slipped off the radar.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Brazilian teens lured by riches of European soccer often bypass childhood

BY TALES AZZONI
Associated Press

SAO PAULO (AP) -Hat tipped cockily backward, thick silver chain dangling around his neck, Andrigo talks breezily about his brilliant future in European football, where riches and all manner of off-field delights await.

He could ply his trade for teams such as Barcelona, Manchester United or Inter Milan, dazzling European fans with the brilliant footwork that seems a Brazilian birthright.

Never mind that Andrigo is just a pimply faced 15-year-old. He's already orchestrating his multimillionaire future while his peers navigate first dates and master the latest video games.

For teens such as Andrigo, personal growth isn't all that's jeopardized by leapfrogging childhood. Their development as players can also suffer, derailing their careers and possibly costing Brazil a future star.

Psychologists and other experts say many will not cope with the pressure of having to succeed so early in life, increasing the chances that off-field problems will affect their performances before they can deliver on their athletic potential.

"These kids sign huge deals, but most of the time they can't keep up to the expectations that come along with these multimillion dollar transactions," said sports psychologist Joao Ricardo Cozac, president of a sports psychology association in Sao Paulo. "If they are not prepared emotionally, they won't be able to perform as well as they did when they signed the deals and ultimately will fail and return to Brazil earlier than expected."

For years, European teams have craved Brazil's talented players, flocking to the nation looking for the next wonder Pele or Ronaldo.

More and more Brazilian youngsters, often from poor backgrounds, look to cash in at the first opportunity to play in Europe, no matter the cost to their social development and family life.

But many don't adapt to being away from home. About 1,000 Brazilian players leave to play abroad every year, but in 2009 alone more than 700 returned to Brazil, according to the country's football federation.

Midfielder Rodrigo Possebon was one of them. He signed with Manchester United as a promising 17-year-old, but was unable to establish himself with the English team and now is back with Brazilian club Santos, where he is not even a regular in the reserves.

Possebon, now 21, said the lack of a family structure abroad unquestionably plays a role in the performance of young players, but he thinks it's a risk worth taking.

"It's not easy to be away from your friends and from your family, to have to adapt to a different culture, to a different weather," he said. "But I don't think any teenager would reject an offer like the one I got, to play for Manchester United, so I would definitely do it again, it was a good experience."

Brazilian club Internacional signed a pre-contract with Andrigo, but the agreement doesn't guarantee that he will stay in Brazil for much longer. Team directors acknowledge that it's hard to hold on to young players who are promised the good life abroad.

"Sometimes it's hard to contain the anxiety and the expectations of the kid and his family," said Internacional club director Bernardo Stein, who is in charge of the team's youth squads. "We have many cases of kids who leave and then after a year or so they are back asking if they can play for us again."

The goal for Andrigo and others like him has been to try to sign deals with clubs abroad but stay in Brazil until they turn 18, the age at which FIFA removes some restrictions on international transfers and when players are better prepared to handle life away from home.

This was the case of playmaker Philippe Coutinho, who reached a deal with Inter Milan when he was 16 but stayed with Brazil's Vasco da Gama for two years before moving to Europe. Coutinho's patience paid off and he is now a regular on Brazil's national team.

"It varies from player to player, but in general, they have better chances to keep playing well if they stay longer in Brazil," said Rodrigo Falcao, another Brazilian sports psychologist. "There are more things that can go wrong if they leave the country too early."

Andrigo needed only one tournament to impress international scouts. After playing well with Internacional at a competition in England in June, several teams reportedly became interested in the forward, known for his powerful shots and bursts toward the goal.

The player's agents said Manchester United, Manchester City, Tottenham, Chelsea and Udinese contacted them about the possibility of signing the teenager.

Internacional said Barcelona offered a partnership to sign the young player, and Andrigo said Inter Milan also contacted his family to talk about a possible transfer.

"I don't really have a preference, I want to go to a place where I know I'll be happy, that's all," Andrigo told The Associated Press at his agents' office in Sao Paulo.

Andrigo was 11 when he left his home just outside the southern city of Porto Alegre to play for Internacional. For the past four years he has been living at the team's headquarters, going to school in the morning before dedicating himself almost completely to football the rest of the day.

His parents make a living selling homemade sandwiches, earning just enough to take care of Andrigo and his two brothers and two sisters. Their biggest chance of leaving their modest two-bedroom house in the farming town of Estrela lies with Andrigo's future, which they have fully supported even though it keeps them apart for now.

"In Brazil, these kids necessarily need to give up their normal lives in order to dedicate themselves to football," Cozac said. "They end up missing on key phases of their lives, going from childhood to adulthood faster than everybody else. Most of the time, this ends up hurting them in the future."

Cozac and other psychologists say it's imperative that these young players and their families get counseling as early as possible to avoid behavioral problems.

Andrigo is attracting attention just months after 18-year-old sensation Neymar got into trouble for swearing at teammates and his coach after not being allowed to take a penalty in a Brazilian league match. The rant earned him a fine and a suspension, and cost him a place on the Brazilian squad in recent friendlies against Iran and Ukraine.

Just days earlier he had rejected a multimillion dollar offer from Chelsea and extended his contract with Santos until 2015, in an unusual decision that made headlines in Brazil and abroad.

"They are only kids but people look at them differently," Cozac said. "They have bigger responsibilities now."

Andrigo talks like a grown-up and already has many of the responsibilities of one, including an agreement with Nike that requires him to wear the company's gear every time he is photographed or videotaped by the media.

The deal does not involve money, but Andrigo's agent, Cleber Desiderio, says another agreement will likely be negotiated when the youngster turns 16 and is allowed to have a professional contract.

"In the beginning it's all great," Cozac said. "They start making all this money and start buying a lot of things that they've always wanted to buy, all at an early age. But if they are not well prepared, this becomes a problem later in their lives."

Andrigo isn't worried.

"I'm a lot more mature than most 15-year-old boys out there," he says before returning his attention to text messages on his cell phone.

© 2010 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Possebon's progress was surely stalled by the leg break. He had broken into the United squad albeit in the League Cup.

The only way Brazil can stop the outflow of youngsters is to create a rule preventing them from leaving before age 18/19/20.