Roger Federer

Zen

LeBron is in that company. The god of all freak athletes.
Not really, given not many would have him as the GOAT in his own sport, yet. Certified 2nd though. Clearly a freak of an athlete though, and an unreal talent. What he did last summer, hell even this summer, stunning stuff.

Brady though.....ageing like a fine wine similar to Federer, Brady turns 40 this year, we all know what happened to Peyton Manning in his 39-40 seasons, shocking, but he still clawed his way to a second Superbowl, Brady DOMINATED his way to his fifth Superbowl.

But yeah, Fed-Nadal....impressive as hell this year, Fed just because, Nadal because he's defying relentless injuries to continue chugging away at the top. You've got a long ass retirement, these two are proving you don't have to give the game up if you are willing to put the effort in.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
Not really, given not many would have him as the GOAT in his own sport, yet. Certified 2nd though. Clearly a freak of an athlete though, and an unreal talent. What he did last summer, hell even this summer, stunning stuff.

Brady though.....ageing like a fine wine similar to Federer, Brady turns 40 this year, we all know what happened to Peyton Manning in his 39-40 seasons, shocking, but he still clawed his way to a second Superbowl, Brady DOMINATED his way to his fifth Superbowl.

But yeah, Fed-Nadal....impressive as hell this year, Fed just because, Nadal because he's defying relentless injuries to continue chugging away at the top. You've got a long ass retirement, these two are proving you don't have to give the game up if you are willing to put the effort in.
I always tend to rate players of team sports a little lower when compiling my inner "goat ranking". Federer has to do it all himself while a good team can compensate for its star players physical decline.

I hear this said a lot about him; what makes him so?
He's a freak of nature, the perfect mix of strength, speed, size, stamina and jumping power. James is also supremely gifted technically and has a very high basketball IQ. The complete package.

Skills

Snitch
I hear this said a lot about him; what makes him so?
He's basically just so big & strong, yet so quick and explosive that makes him so freaky. At his best he could guard through 1-4 in the NBA (1 being the point guard usually the smallest, quickest & most nimble player, with 4 being one of the big 6 ft 9/10 brutes). He shutdown Derrick Rose the reigning MVP in the 2011 Eastern Conference finals, when a player of his size has no right to do that.

Even when he was in high school, most people thought it was a sure bet that he would eventually be the best player in basketball - so much that his high school games were broadcast live nationally. He then got drafted straight first overall straight from high school (most players play a season or 2 at college level), and was NBA ready. Averaged 20/5/6 - star players once they're settled into the NBA average that, not teenagers straight from school. He's basically been the best player in the league (or at the very least one of the top 3) since his second season.

He lead both teams in all statistical categories in both the 2016 finals, which nobody has ever done before. He was scoring the most points, getting the most assists, getting the most rebounds, steals & blocks along with being one of the best man-to-man defenders on the court.

Here's an example of his freakish athleticism (at the age of 31). The speed, explosion and timing is incredible to block the shot (if he's a millisecond late that's a goaltend).

Zen

I always tend to rate players of team sports a little lower when compiling my inner "goat ranking". Federer has to do it all himself while a good team can compensate for its star players physical decline.
Well he has a lot to thank Edberg for most of what he's done post 2013.....so it's not all on one person at all, it never is. Yes on the face of it, it is, but theres always a massive team behind every individual. Edberg is just the key addition to the coaching setup in terms of his game, but his fitness coach is clearly talented, and there will be many others involved in his very tight regime.

You can't just write off the extra pressures that do come with the team too, you have tons of egos to work around...more drama, more infighting, as the leader(generally the talent), you are playing a key part in taming all that shit, people like LeBron, Brady clearly play massive parts in the team as a whole. Something Federer or Woods wouldn't have to contend with, they are the sole talent.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
He's basically just so big & strong, yet so quick and explosive that makes him so freaky. At his best he could guard through 1-4 in the NBA (1 being the point guard usually the smallest, quickest & most nimble player, with 4 being one of the big 6 ft 9/10 brutes). He shutdown Derrick Rose the reigning MVP in the 2011 Eastern Conference finals, when a player of his size has no right to do that.

Even when he was in high school, most people thought it was a sure bet that he would eventually be the best player in basketball - so much that his high school games were broadcast live nationally. He then got drafted straight first overall straight from high school (most players play a season or 2 at college level), and was NBA ready. Averaged 20/5/6 - star players once they're settled into the NBA average that, not teenagers straight from school. He's basically been the best player in the league (or at the very least one of the top 3) since his second season.

He lead both teams in all statistical categories in both the 2016 finals, which nobody has ever done before. He was scoring the most points, getting the most assists, getting the most rebounds, steals & blocks along with being one of the best man-to-man defenders on the court.

Here's an example of his freakish athleticism (at the age of 31). The speed, explosion and timing is incredible to block the shot (if he's a millisecond late that's a goaltend).

Thanks for the detailed response. I don't know much about him so this was informative.

Supports
Barcelona
He learned/improved two new skills at the age of 35!! Backhand and drop shot. I hope he doesn't retire anytime soon so that we continue to enjoy these new skills of his.
"

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
His backhand improvement really is something else. He's absolutely belting it these days. It's gone from a weakness you could target to a real weapon to fear.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If we talk GOAT and Basketball, there is only one Michael Jordan imo. Roger is up there with Ali, Jordan - why? He is the absolute king in his sports and changed so much about it

MichaelKorleone

His backhand improvement really is something else. He's absolutely belting it these days. It's gone from a weakness you could target to a real weapon to fear.
Has to be because of using a bigger racket on par with his contemporaries, I guess? He used a standard size one with the sweet spot of a pea for several years which made his shots vulnerable but also added to the aura. When I first read this around a decade ago I was in awe that his amazing shots were produced with such a small margin for error. He switched from 90-inch racket to 97-inch for the first time in his career in 2013.

Found an article from 2014 Jan talking about his change -
https://www.nytimes.com/2014/01/17/...good-federer-with-new-racket-to-find-out.html

Stefan Edberg worked on his net play and backhand improvement - which gave us SABR in 2015 when Federer actively tried to end points quickly. Once Ljubicic became his coach, he converted Federer's backhand into an attacking weapon which we saw this season. His Slam record since switching to 97-inch is 4 SF (Nadal, Cilic, Djokovic, Raonic), 3 runners-up (all to Djokovic) and 2 titles in 12 tournaments and his Slam record since turning 30 is eight semis, three runners up and three titles (also one Olympic Silver).

dumbo

Don't Just Fly…Soar!
Scout
Popped up on youtube recommends:
watched twice, first with eyes on federer and then his opponent.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
And his wife is slightly annoying whistling at opponents.

Ain't I right prof @Kevin?
Got me banned for this you little bundle of delighful surprises. Not commenting.

Edit: just kidding. She is an annoying runt.

Bojan11

Got me banned for this you little bundle of delighful surprises. Not commenting.

Edit: just kidding. She is an annoying runt.
Sorry prof, didn't mean to get your banned. Just wanted your opinion.

Revan

Assumptionman
Mandatory bump.

Greatest sportman of my lifetime. I've seen Messi and James, but Federer has been something else.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
Wasn't in form for most of the match I felt, but raised his game in the decider.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Mandatory bump.

Greatest sportman of my lifetime. I've seen Messi and James, but Federer has been something else.
Agreed. Phenomenal.

Gonna miss him when he retires...

AndyJ1985

A truly phenomenal tennis player. 36 years old and still showing the young guys how it's done. His consistency and longevity at the very top is just incredible.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Does anyone here actually still believe Nadal is higher than Federer in the GOAT debate ? Seems Roger has put this issue to bed.

Enigma_87

You know who
Does anyone here actually still believe Nadal is higher than Federer in the GOAT debate ? Seems Roger has put this issue to bed.
He did it with his 18th I think, beating him last year at the AO. It's all about the GS titles and there's no catching him now. Nadal is the clay GOAT and that's about it. Federer everywhere else.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Even if Rafa ends up with more slams than Fed most people will see Fed as the greater player

Nadal did have Fed's number for a long time but had the game that was a nightmare for Fed to play against

Fed has been able to dramatically change his game for his opponents and his own physical condition winning with different styles and dominating on different surfaces

Rafa is a special player as well but most of his success has been on one surface and has had mixed results when leaving clay

If I had to pick one player who was at the highest level and most difficult to play against for any player I would say Djokovic was probably the one who peaked the highest out of all of them

Almost unbeatable in his prime I don't know why he has taken such a hit to his form probably personal life issues and the hunger not being there anymore

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Greatest sportsman of all time.
I don't even think it's debatable.

Number1

Fantastic to still be at the highest level of fitness at the age of 36
Having just turned 36 myself, comments like this make me feel old :(

Still feel and look mid-20's but yeah not been putting my body through top level sports like Federer as for 20 years, so when you look at all that, it is some quite achievement to win a slam at 36, i don't recall Federer really having a serious injury though.

Similar story with C.Ronaldo and why he's been able to win 3 Ballon d'Or's into his 30's.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Even if Rafa ends up with more slams than Fed most people will see Fed as the greater player

Nadal did have Fed's number for a long time but had the game that was a nightmare for Fed to play against

Fed has been able to dramatically change his game for his opponents and his own physical condition winning with different styles and dominating on different surfaces

Rafa is a special player as well but most of his success has been on one surface and has had mixed results when leaving clay

If I had to pick one player who was at the highest level and most difficult to play against for any player I would say Djokovic was probably the one who peaked the highest out of all of them

Almost unbeatable in his prime I don't know why he has taken such a hit to his form probably personal life issues and the hunger not being there anymore
Also worth noting is that Federer has won significantly more singles titles than Nadal and has a chance at catching Connors' all time singles title record of 109 (Fed has 96 now)

InfiniteBoredom

Also worth noting is that Federer has won significantly more singles titles than Nadal and has a chance at catching Connors' all time singles title record of 109 (Fed has 96 now)
That's a superfluous record to chase, rather 1 Slam than 20 ATP 250 events.

John McEnroe has the most titles combined (singles+ doubles). No one calls him the GOAT.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
That's a good point you make very impressive from him

Realistically Nadal with injuries wouldn't be close to him in that department

It's quite incredible, I knew Roger had one more grand slam in him and had a feeling it would come in 2017 but I had no idea he would actually start dominating and playing like the old Federer was in his prime

He moves like a much younger person and you would not realise he is on average a good 10 years older than the average guy out there when he's playing

18 for me was the best moment watching him all these years since I first seen him compete, anything after 18 is just a bonus for him in my eye's as he pretty much knew himself his days were numbered and was unlikely to win another slam

I hope he at least tries to play Rolland Garros this year as he has as good of a chance as ever to win another clay title even if it means only playing one clay tournament or two

saivet

John McEnroe has the most titles combined (singles+ doubles). No one calls him the GOAT.
True. For example believe Nadal and Djokovic lead on the number of Masters 1000 titles.

Mourinhonista

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Seen some talk that Federer received special treatment during the tournament: Meaning roof closed and ac on (Federer asked for it apparently) to play to Federer's strength as much as possible because indoor conditions are where Federer is at his best. Furthermore opponents such as Nadal or Djoker had to play during the day and get on with about 40 degrees. Apparently Federer told them to toughen up.

Not sure what to make of this, but because of the turnover which Federer brings to the game, i think there might be a little truth to it.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

Indeed, but then again the likes of McEnroe or Lendl don't have 20 slams to their name. When you combine slams and singles titles, its pretty clear who the greatest of all time is.

InfiniteBoredom

Seen some talk that Federer received special treatment during the tournament: Meaning roof closed and ac on (Federer asked for it apparently) to play to Federer's strength as much as possible because indoor conditions are where Federer is at his best. Furthermore opponents such as Nadal or Djoker had to play during the day and get on with about 40 degrees. Apparently Federer told them to toughen up.

Not sure what to make of this, but because of the turnover which Federer brings to the game, i think there might be a little truth to it.
Nadal played mostly during the night sessions.

Prior to his match with Gael Monfils, Djokovic didn't ask to be scheduled at night.

The roof was closed tonight because 1) heat rule is in effect and 2) it was bloody 35C outside when the match started, you have 15k people inside the stadium as well.

And yes, organisers would put Fed on night time slots mostly because he's Tennis's golden goose. They want the biggest audience/advertising revenue.

saivet

Nadal played mostly during the night sessions.

Prior to his match with Gael Monfils, Djokovic didn't ask to be scheduled at night.

The roof was closed tonight because 1) heat rule is in effect and 2) it was bloody 35C outside when the match started, you have 15k people inside the stadium as well.

And yes, organisers would put Fed on night time slots mostly because he's Tennis's golden goose. They want the biggest audience/advertising revenue.
Based on the commentators anyway, they were suggesting the conditions were worse during the day session when Djokovic played.

I think it is a bit unfair, and makes it a bit strange that Cilic practiced outdoors before, whereas Federer practiced indoors. From reading Cilic's comments, he seemed a little annoyed.

InfiniteBoredom

Based on the commentators anyway, they were suggesting the conditions were worse during the day session when Djokovic played.

I think it is a bit unfair, and makes it a bit strange that Cilic practiced outdoors before, whereas Federer practiced indoors. From reading Cilic's comments, he seemed a little annoyed.
It's 32C right now at 1 am. You can feel annoyed all you want but 15k people in a 35C, 93% humidity arena = over 40, possibly 50C on the court. It would be a shitfest of a final.

The condition the day Djokovic played was worse, yes, but he didn't request a night slot, so all the moanings of his fans about ' preferential treatment' = lul what? Had he requested it at the very least they would put him in twilight session starting at 5 pm or so.