Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Good bye to the deals of lukaku,pulisic,morotta and welcome to more deals of Kante, azpilicuetta,kovasic please.

Welcome to the American dream from the Russian dream fellow Chelsea fans. Never dull to follow this club. Many daydreamers had to wake up from Chelsea going to fold. :lol:

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Great to see boehly and co highly rated tuchel and had deep discussion with him during last match day against Watford.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Sold for £2.5bn in the end which is remarkable. As others have mentioned we have no debt tied to this deal so we’re starting from scratch, I also think the £1.75bn pledged investment over 10 years has to be done without loading debt onto the club also. So all in all a fantastic base to start from.

I’d imagine £750m will go into the stadium and the other £1bn will be spread out as £100m per season of general investment.

I am however not naive, Clearlake are still an investment company and will have to get a return after 10 years. I think they‘ll aim to return the club to BE and raise the value of the club above the £4.25bn. To do this they will have to raise sponsorship (new stadium and sponsors) and lower the overall wage bill. It can be done but we won’t be spunking massive fees every summer, it‘s going to have to be more considered now. With our starting point, the academy and growth potential I’m not overly worried.
We've ended up in the best situation we could have hoped for considering the circumstances. Now that this ownership have officially got their feet under the table, we'll get to see the kind of ownership they want to be. They talk a good game, I have to say but now the work starts.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
So that means Roman only took about 500 mil. That’s unreal. He’s been god to their club and left them in good order to be fair.
Seeing what they managed to win under him yeah he really was a god for their club.
An ethical God? Well that's another discussion.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Nah, Mourinho can't stay more than 3 years, he'll implode, even at his peak.
I don't know, apart from his beef with Abramovich, the team was doing extremely well and he was well loved by the players and the fans. Inter aside, that early Chelsea period was probably the most blissful time of the last 20-ish years of his career in terms of dressing room dynamics and relationships. We could carried that momentum on for another year or two.

Last edited:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I don't know, apart from his beef with Abramovich, the team was doing extremely well and he was well loved by the players and the fans. Inter aside, that early Chelsea period was probably the most blissful time of the last 20-ish years of career in terms of dressing room dynamics and relationships. We could carried that momentum on for another year or two.
I'm constantly flip flopping my opinion on that one.

On one hand I look at how Klopp and to an extent Pep revigorated Pool and City respectively when it was looking like the beginning of decline/stagnation but on the other we looked very very average at the start of 07/08 (and the end of 06/07 in truth, between both we won 3 of Mou's last 11 all be it only 1 loss). We were still defensively sound but attacking wise we looked every bit as out of ideas as 15/16 and it didn't get better until we got an attacking coach (Ten Cate).

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I don't know, apart from his beef with Abramovich, the team was doing extremely well and he was well loved by the players and the fans. Inter aside, that early Chelsea period was probably the most blissful time of the last 20-ish years of career in terms of dressing room dynamics and relationships. We could carried that momentum on for another year or two.
Well i don't know, even if somehow didn't implode the avenue of him winning trophies till 2009 were kinda limited, we were hitting overdrive and Fergie seemed to have found his number as we beat his inter quite comfortably and almost did the say to his Madrid side before Nani being sent off.
Him going to inter was probably the best move for his career, you lot and inter fit his personality to a tee.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
So that means Roman only took about 500 mil. That’s unreal. He’s been god to their club and left them in good order to be fair.
Was Roman allowed to keep anything? He is under sanctions, the British government was very adamant he not earn a single pound. I havent read the spesifics on the deal yet so I assume its explained there.

A very important thing thats casually omitted is that Chelsea had enormous debt, almost 3 times as much as Manchester Uniteds current debt.

The difference is that Roman never took dividends, or made the club take loans in the bank. Chelsea had over £2bn in debt to Roman, which he forfeited when the club was sold.

Roman wasnt only good to Chelsea, he is the only reason they are where they are.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
The man drove away Kevin Be Bruyne. I do t want him touching our squad again. He’ll come I and chop Reece James for not being skinny enough or something .

Players having legitimate questions about wether their contracts would be honored, employees having to bring their own toilet paper to work…. A nearly worst case possible scenario, and we finished third. I don’t see how manager is an issue unless Tuchel demands to leave.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I'm constantly flip flopping my opinion on that one.

On one hand I look at how Klopp and to an extent Pep revigorated Pool and City respectively when it was looking like the beginning of decline/stagnation but on the other we looked very very average at the start of 07/08 (and the end of 06/07 in truth, between both we won 3 of Mou's last 11 all be it only 1 loss). We were still defensively sound but attacking wise we looked every bit as out of ideas as 15/16 and it didn't get better until we got an attacking coach (Ten Cate).
It's obviously just guess work, but Lampard, Drogba etc were at their literal peak in that period. We got to the CL final and lost out on the league by 2 points with Grant that same season and the SF in Europe the following season despite the Big Phil fiasco. There's a chance Moruinho could have swayed one of those 2 CL's in our favour and maybe the 2008 title that required just 1 extra win.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Well i don't know, even if somehow didn't implode the avenue of him winning trophies till 2009 were kinda limited, we were hitting overdrive and Fergie seemed to have found his number as we beat his inter quite comfortably and almost did the say to his Madrid side before Nani being sent off.
Him going to inter was probably the best move for his career, you lot and inter fit his personality to a tee.
But he didn't implode, and although we obviously don't know what would have happened, in 2007, there were no signs of any impending implosion. I think we could have nicked at least 1 title away from United during that run of 3 consecutive titles had Mourinho stayed.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
The man drove away Kevin Be Bruyne. I do t want him touching our squad again. He’ll come I and chop Reece James for not being skinny enough or something .

Players having legitimate questions about wether their contracts would be honored, employees having to bring their own toilet paper to work…. A nearly worst case possible scenario, and we finished third. I don’t see how manager is an issue unless Tuchel demands to leave.
You've misunderstood the conversation. No-one is suggesting we should bring Mourinho back to Chelsea or getting rid of Tuchel.

OverratedOpinion

You've misunderstood the conversation. No-one is suggesting we should bring Mourinho back to Chelsea or getting rid of Tuchel.
You should, it would be fecking fantastic. Do you have any more pretty physios for him to hound out of the club?

Red the Bear

Something less generic
But he didn't implode, and although we obviously don't know what would have happened, in 2007, there were no signs of any impending implosion. I think we could have nicked at least 1 title away from United during that run of 3 consecutive titles had Mourinho stayed.
I consider Falling out with the owner implosion but fair enough the locker room didn't turn on him the way later ones did.

Honestly its pretty hard to know what would have happened, maybe mou would have beaten us in the 2008 final, maybe you lot would have beaten barca in 2009 and then we would have defended our title so pep wouldn't be who he is today.

It would be so difficult to predict how things would have gone considering how our games were going on, but as I said before it felt that Fergie was finding his number as even though we had two draws and loss in the final to you lot I thought we had the upper hand in all of them.

Would have been extremely exciting to be sure.

Last edited:

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I consider Falling out with the owner implosion but fair enough the locker room didn't turn on him the way later ones did.

Honestly its pretty hard to know what would have happened, maybe mou would have beaten us in the 2008 final, maybe you lot would have beaten barca in 2009 and then we would have defended our title so pep wouldn't be who he is today.

It would so hard to predict how things would have gone considering how our games were going on but as I said before it felt that Fergie was finding his number as even though we had two draws and loss in the final to you lot I thought we had the upper hand in all of them.

Would have been extremely exciting to be sure.
Fair enough, I suppose it wasn't the kind of implosion we've become used to with Mourinho in the years since, and also considering Abramovich had hired and fired about a million managers since it kinda puts the Mourinho firing into perspective.

Yeah it's just guesswork. I was just saying considering just how close we got to that 2008 United team with Avram Grant, having Mourinho around might have swayed that season in our favour. Fergie had absolutely rebuilt the team with Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez. A lot of United fans cite that 2008 team as the best ever in the Fergie era.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised no mention of Marina Granovskaia leaving?

Multiple reports confirming what I called many months ago.
The 2019 sporting director of the year incoming, potentially?

To be honest, Mariana was well liked or pretty disliked by different pockets of the fanbase. It makes sense for her (and Buck) to follow Abramovich out of the club, but I'd hoped it would be a smoother exit over a 12-18 months period rather than ripping the band-aid off immediately.

TheReligion

Abusive
The 2019 sporting director of the year incoming, potentially?

To be honest, Mariana was well liked or pretty disliked by different pockets of the fanbase. It makes sense for her (and Buck) to follow Abramovich out of the club, but I'd hoped it would be a smoother exit over a 12-18 months period rather than ripping the band-aid off immediately.
Yeah I think that’s the issue. Much like what happened to United when Fergie, Gill and the rest left in one go.

The benefit you do have is a consistent manager in Tuchel. We lost all of our structure, manager and coaches in one summer.

Ridiculous really looking back and no real wonder we are where we are now having to build from scratch.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Surprised no mention of Marina Granovskaia leaving?

Multiple reports confirming what I called many months ago.
Seems like she's staying on through the summer at least to ease the transition - glad to hear that as her ability to sell players will be sorely needed!

Will be interested to see who gets appointed. I doubt it'd happen but if Michael Edwards can somehow be convinced that'd surely be the best option.

Powderfinger

Supports
Arsenal
Some reports seem to be mooting Andrea Berta from Atletico as the top choice for a new sporting director.

I'm not sure what to think about that. He had an amazing start to his tenure at Atletico but the last few years have been pretty ugly.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Seems like she's staying on through the summer at least to ease the transition - glad to hear that as her ability to sell players will be sorely needed!

Will be interested to see who gets appointed. I doubt it'd happen but if Michael Edwards can somehow be convinced that'd surely be the best option.
Paul Mitchell at Monaco is linked. Luis Campos would have been a good pick up, has a real eye for talent. As did Emenalo tbf, more often than not

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
You know who has an eye for talent? Peter Cech and our board ignored him last year when he wanted us to buy Camavinga

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea
Paul Mitchell at Monaco is linked. Luis Campos would have been a good pick up, has a real eye for talent. As did Emenalo tbf, more often than not
Emenalo did sign a lot of good young players, he has a lot of connections and that’s why there were fans and people at the club who could never fully trust him or his motives.

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
He's one ugly fecker, isn't he. Predator, Connecticut fratboy vibes
Having watched him on videos, I don’t get those vibes at all. I know two people that have spoke to him at Stamford Bridge and they echo what everyone else says. Genuine down to earth guy.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
All those who were sceptical of the ‘proceeds will go to the victims of war’ statement Abramovich gave without ever specifying Ukrainian victims have been proven correct it seems.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
All those who were sceptical of the ‘proceeds will go to the victims of war’ statement Abramovich gave without ever specifying Ukrainian victims have been proven correct it seems.

Everyone knew he was talking about both sides, didn't they? I don't see how anyone can be surprised, his statement was pretty obvious.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Everyone knew he was talking about both sides, didn't they? I don't see how anyone can be surprised, his statement was pretty obvious.
It didn’t seem clear to me. Fair enough if it was clear to everyone else but at the time I thought he was heavily implying it would go to Ukrainians only.

frostbite

Russians are not victims in this war. Russians are the perpetrators, the invaders, the sole cause of this war.

All the money should go to Ukrainians. Confiscated if there is no other way.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Who can explain to me all that Chelsea sale? It was his club but he was forced to sell it without getting his money? Too many holes in my understanding of that whole process. What if he refused to sell it? Where is that money?

Any kind person to explain it (short version is enough:)).

pacifictheme

Who can explain to me all that Chelsea sale? It was his club but he was forced to sell it without getting his money? Too many holes in my understanding of that whole process. What if he refused to sell it? Where is that money?

He's russian and close to Putin. The club was effectively taken away from him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge

He wasnt exactly given a choice.

Giving it to charity (in this case Ukrainian war victims) was his last efford to at least get something

It was wrong in my eyes. He wasn't even proven to have anything directly to do with the whole war