Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

Water Melon

Rumour has it that Roman Abramovich is planning to set up a continental football league which would include the best football clubs from Russia, China, Serbia, Bulgaria and Israel.

Last edited by a moderator:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
Thank you for explaining why he is a bad character. I of course agree, although I think a lot of people are just angry because he’s Russian and nothing to do with the situation you have mentioned.

Research what, can you be more specific? I am not trying to be dumb here but I don’t have hours to research him. Is it his business dealings? Has he ordered hits on people? please explain and educate me. There are posters like you who are very angry but your not providing any context/ evidence as to why. Sorry if you have already done that in a previous post but this thread is huge now
It’s not that hard these days. Google him.Suffice to say he is the one who recommended Putin for the top job to Yeltsin.

croadyman

Guaranteed someone will ride to Chelsea's rescue whereas Utd, Spurs continued to be lumbered with uncaring shite

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
The least surprising thing ever, said it before, the matchgoing Chelsea fan base or at least a large portion of them are horrible vile pricks. Up there with the worst in the league.

Ferrers

Supports
Chelsea
The least surprising thing ever, said it before, the matchgoing Chelsea fan base or at least a large portion of them are horrible vile pricks. Up there with the worst in the league.
Obviously you know them all personally and not making a sweeping statement. Maybe you could get a t-shirt printed up for it?

dubplate warrior

As an owner Roman was as good as it got. He loved the club from top to bottom so I can understand why the fans there love him, if you can't, it's purely due to football.

Most of the American owners in the Premier League have donated large sums to governments responsible for war crimes. Saudi Arabia is responsible for a humanitarian disaster in Yemen, and City's owners are guilty of numerous breaches of human rights, particularly towards the LGBT community and slave labour. All their fans are aware the success they may have is partially down to them but continue to support the team and in Newcastles case, actively glorify their owners.

Most really rich people are scumbags.

Last edited:

Liver_bird

Supports
Liverpool
Obviously you know them all personally and not making a sweeping statement. Maybe you could get a t-shirt printed up for it?
I’ve been around them enough to know, but don’t let that stop you fella

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
I don't think any will in the UK. It's all talk in the UK with no action. Our Government is corrupt from top to bottom and it's not just the Tories, it's Labour as well.

Not that the public seems to give a feck mind.
Saw a post from a fellow chelsea fan on our website chat claims the sale will drag on and on, and when the tragedy in Ukraine ends... the sale will mysteriously fall through and he will stay owner.

I doubt that

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
You boo your own national anthem at Wembley just two weeks ago.

And as for as I know most notorious match going fans and attacking opponents team buses and all none other than Liverpool fans.

Who is vile here. Don't generalise good fella.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
As an owner Roman was as good as it got. He loved the club from top to bottom so I can understand why the fans there love him, if you can't, it's purely due to football.

Most of the American owners in the Premier League have donated large sums to governments responsible for war crimes. Saudi Arabia is responsible for a humanitarian disaster in Yemen, and City's owners are guilty of numerous breaches of human rights, particularly towards the LGBT community and slave labour. All their fans are aware the success they may have is partially down to them but continue to support the team and in Newcastles case, actively glorify their owners.

Most really rich people are scumbags.
fecking hell Chelsea fans are something else.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
fecking hell Chelsea fans are something else.
No we are loyal to some one who did lot for us. Is that a problem for you.

All we are asking is show us evidence that he is still working with Putin. Only Russian billionaire still not banned by Europe or us or uk.

Even Putin s assets are frozen. Why we have to hate him if all the government's reluctant to ban him.He is flying to Dubai turkey in past four days suggests he is a free man in this world.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Exactly this. Sportswashing works.
You think Roman had his reputation washed or cleaned after buying Chelsea?

The vast majority of people who know anything about Roman thinks he's (at least) a bit of a crook.

Before he bought Chelsea, 99% of people had never even heard of him, let alone thought badly of him.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
There is nothing off-limits for the most tribal of football fans; that's the depressing reality of it.

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
You boo your own national anthem at Wembley just two weeks ago.

And as for as I know most notorious match going fans and attacking opponents team buses and all none other than Liverpool fans.

Who is vile here. Don't generalise good fella.
You're acting very strange about all this.

Kag

The vast majority of people who know anything about Roman thinks he's (at least) a bit of a crook.

Before he bought Chelsea, 99% of people had never even heard of him, let alone thought badly of him.
Owning Chelsea has opened many social, political and financial doors within the West for Abramovich. He has the adoration of thousands of people who attribute the success of their football team, in part, to him.

The reality is that most people don’t know very much about him at all. Your average arsehole on the street thinks that Russia and the US are on the other side of the world to one another; they don’t know about the political and financial affiliations of a Russian oligarch.

Sportswashing works because reasonable people are happy to live with hostility elsewhere in the knowledge that things are going well for their chosen sports team. In some cases these same people actively justify that hostility. Today is your case in point.

RyRoc

No we are loyal to some one who did lot for us. Is that a problem for you.

All we are asking is show us evidence that he is still working with Putin. Only Russian billionaire still not banned by Europe or us or uk.

Even Putin s assets are frozen. Why we have to hate him if all the government's reluctant to ban him.He is flying to Dubai turkey in past four days suggests he is a free man in this world.
Even if that is true - why not wait until after the minutes applause to sing it? Singing it during that moment was absolutely vile and extremely distasteful to the people of Ukraine.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Even if that is true - why not wait until after the minutes applause to sing it? Singing it during that moment was absolutely vile and extremely distasteful to the people of Ukraine.
Look I am not justified for some fools chanted Roman s name during the moment of applause. It will give Roman bad name only. But during match we are entitled to sing his name. There is nothing wrong with that. And the person quoted most match going Chelsea fans are vile ,why the generalisation if some fools do stupid things.

There is difference if he said some Chelsea fans are vile nobody will care about it but saying most Chelsea fans that's branding people.

Last edited:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Sportswashing works because reasonable people are happy to live with hostility elsewhere in the knowledge that things are going well for their chosen sports team. In some cases these same people actively justify that hostility. Today is your case in point.
I guess we have differing views on what Sportswashing is.

Owning Chelsea has put a spotlight on Roman in my opinion, not washed his sins in the eyes any meaningful % of people who know who he is.

frostbite

Chelsea fans side with the Russian dictator, Newcastle fans side with the Saudi dictators... it is really sad that people will support any murderer if he is in their team.

Dan_F

Not sure about sports washing in this case. I’d argue it’s a tiny minority of the overall amount of football fans who actively support him. Even the majority of Chelsea fans are probably neutral about him in public at best.

Gawge

Tribalism in football is pretty evenly spread club to club.

Any club with an owner throwing money at the club for the last two decades would probably be doing similar to Chelsea fans now.

Tribalism can be a fun thing when it comes to passionately believing John McGinn is better than James Ward-Prowse, or having less empty seats is a real victory etc... Unfortunately it extends to things like protecting people who do pretty horrible things, whether it is source of finance for an owner, or the crimes of a star striker.

I do think it is becoming more common for fans to criticise their own club, and no longer feel like a complete outlier. In order to get that to be reflected in away followings chants is probably asking a bit much, but I hope it becomes more common for fans to be able to criticise and make change within their club.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.

Oh absolutely. Abramovich has become to be seen as a benign figure through his ownership of Chelsea and the money he throws at Jewish causes.

Abramovich would have nobody crying about his sanctions or persona non grata status in the UK were he not a football club owner. As it is, he has thousands, if not millions, of fans and high profile figures associated with football willing to engage in whataboutism and putting a positive spin on his name. Just by owning Chelsea, or by the Saudis owning Newcastle and doing a reasonable job, you have a significant amount of people who are willing to give you a free pass.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Chelsea fans side with the Russian dictator, Newcastle fans side with the Saudi dictators... it is really sad that people will support any murderer if he is in their team.
There's raging argument on twitter about this sort of thing. It's not as black and white as that. The chanting his name during the moment of solidarity was met with pretty robust criticism from other Chelsea fans online.