Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

cyberman

We can't sell anyone even if we wanted to.

There's three players out of contract but I don't think that qualifies as a mass exodus.
If it drags on and you can’t pay them then they can leave on a free? Or even playing for a sanctioned club could see some players push to be let go?

Nk9

Supports
Chelsea
Have to say it's a bit ironic that English fans of other clubs are feeling Chelsea should be punished because of Romans money.

Where do you think UKs money came from. Eh? Need a history lesson on colonization.

By this measure, the UK should have relegated itself to how it was before the colonial era after the 50s when the likes of India got independent. This logic is cynical.

Colonization while deplorable doesn't necissate you ignore the effort put in by ordinary people. The scientists, engineers who's ingenuity helped the world and the UK through industrial revolution.

It is precisely because of this reasons UK citizens shouldn't be held responsible and are not punishable for a colonial past.

Punish Roman by all accounts but the club is more than that. Do you think the club you support is defined by your owner?

Absolving the UK, but to find Chelsea punishable because of an owner and who's money were perfectly acceptable to the UK government when the sale was made 19 years ago is hypocritical. Especially coming from English fans.

Last edited:

AFC NimbleThumb

Agreed even if that meant us diving down the league's (it won't but even if it did some things go beyond football).

My worry for the entire pyramid now (with us being punished as an overall club) is does it set a precedence? Will pressure eventually build to do the same to Newcastle due to the Yemen situation or next time someone head gets chopped off? Will the same have to happen to an American owned team if their owners get caught up in the metoo movement?

When can of worms are opened they tend to stay open.
It’s a little absurd that this is what worries you for the footballing pyramid as opposed to the glass ceiling that oil clubs have imposed on the clubs in said pyramid.

There of over 90 clubs in the football leagues, I’d be far more concerned for a Nottingham Forest fan who’s seen their club lift multiple European Cups that knows their club will never compete with Man City or a Sunderland fan whose club to this day still has as many league titles as Chelsea.

This is a terrible worst case scenario for Chelsea, although I’m sure some allowances will be made to keep you operational but in all honesty it’s hard to listen to your sudden concern for the pyramid when you’ve capped it for 10s of other sides.

USREDEVIL

When will the day of reckoning come for the other oil clubs funded by Saudi rights abusers skirting the FFP rules for fun?
Maybe we'll soon be happy to be owned by Americans :lol:

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a little absurd that this is what worries you for the footballing pyramid as opposed to the glass ceiling that oil clubs have imposed on the clubs in said pyramid.

There of over 90 clubs in the football leagues, I’d be far more concerned for a Nottingham Forest fan who’s seen their club lift multiple European Cups that knows their club will never compete with Man City or a Sunderland fan whose club to this day still has as many league titles as Chelsea.

This is a terrible worst case scenario for Chelsea, although I’m sure some allowances will be made to keep you operational but in all honesty it’s hard to listen to your sudden concern for the pyramid when you’ve capped it for 10s of other sides.
Actually around the super league time I made systematic posts about the football league pyramid and how inflation (which yes part of it was down to our ownership) has shut off the dream for many clubs. I have a soft spot for a town I use to live in (Plymouth, get to that in a minute) so I can firmly see things from both angles. The reason I struggled to join in the outrage (which in my opinion was only as ferocious as it was because Gary Neville whipped the country into a frenzy on almost certainly the orders of his employers) was because in my opinion the PL and UCL are both super leagues in all but name.

The worst thing for the pyramid was the TV money and parachute payments. Granted it was a by-product of the Fizsman, Roman, Sheikh etc using their resources to propel their respective sides to titles and improve the PL brand but not one club decided to take a stand against such inflation of 'reward' money.

It means the likes of Norwich and Fulham can just get relegated and buy promotion again without breaking sweat (£180m is the "reward" for finishing bottom). In 2007 Colchester United made a genuine push for the Championship play off narrowly missing out, three years later Blackpool actually went two better and made the big time. That route is now cut off for clubs like that barring extraordinarily good coaching and about 1000 other things falling neatly into place. Look at this years Championship table as a reference point, utterly dominated by recent PL clubs. Two of the clubs relegated the season before last bounced straight back and the other is almost certain to follow suit this season (alongside a team relegated last campaign). None of those clubs are particularly well run yet because of the parachute payments they don't need to be to outmuscle most of that league.

I know someone connected to Plymouth and pre TV money they believe the plan and structure they now have in place would have got them to the top flight, now they'll settle for just being a mid table Championship club because they simply cannot compete with the teams yo yoing off TV money.

People slate clubs down the bottom for binning the cups to focus on avoid relegation but look at two that didn't, Birmingham and Wigan, they went down the same season they won a domestic Cup and it was at a very bad time (with reward money slowly becoming very prominent) and probably won't see the light of the top flight again in our lifetime.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I didn’t click on this thread right away - I assumed the thread title referred to his sale of Chelsea being sanctioned by whoever permits these things. Was pleasantly surprised when I saw the news elsewhere.

Barnslig

So he owns a company that according to the government potentially have supplied the Russian army with metal that might have been used for tanks? Seems like an awful lot of nothing compared to directly selling rockets and weapons already manufactured and ready to kill innocents. Like the ones enforcing these sanctions are.

Last edited:

giggs-beckham

Clueless
If the club is valued at 3bn and there's a debt of 1.5 billion, guess how much any buyer will pay?

The only reason that debt would prohibit a sale is not wanting to get entangled with him. Not sure I'd want to 'owe' an individual sanctioned for being in league with Putin mind you.
4.5b?

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Glad to see this happening to be honest. Some things are far bigger than football and this is one of them - especially with today's revelations that Roman is profiting from the ongoing invasion. That said, it is odious to see the likes of Newcastle and City acting holier-than-thou; can only hope they get what's coming as well.

Only question is whether Roman will put his money where is mouth is - he's talked a lot about how he loves football and Chelsea, and if that's the case then his only choice can be to walk away now. Given that he already said publicly that he would write off all outstanding debts and donate any proceeds from a potential sale, perhaps this isn't so far-fetched.

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation

Decent post this

Barnslig

:houllier::lol:
Can't see the trees because the forrest is right in front of you.
The smile on his face as he realises the journo asking him that question, is never ever in a million years going to connect the dots and ask him about his best pals atrocious human rights violations. Pep agrees managers needs to do their due dilligence, unless you're at City, then you just deliver journalists and government officials brown envelopes and get away with everything.

Ludens the Red

Chelsea fans always seem to be a bit more cnuty with things than other fan bases.
I mean chanting for Roman is just not a great look right now. There may be some people sympathising with their fans/players but that sort of shit just makes you think “ah well feck you lot then”.
Chelsea are the type of fans who I think if one of their players went around murdering people they’d make it a point to sing songs about him.

Beans

Supports
Neutral
It's probably a fault in my character that I hope this ends with the club being dissolved and struck from the record books?

Nothing person its just that disasters are exciting but usually too serious to enjoy.

AussieDevil

It would’ve been better if they let him sell the club and donate the profits. At least that would have helped those in Ukraine. Sanctions are stupid as they literally will not affect Roman, he is a multi billionaire, he will not care about making his money back and will have no issue leaving the club. The issue is that it affects the fans, the community, the players and employees who have nothing else other than the club.