Roman Abramovich plans to sell Chelsea | SOLD for £4.25BN

dinostar77

Christensen, Azpi and Rudiger. At least 2 of them were probably off anyway according to reports from before this whole mess).

This will get sorted (one way or another) long before the 2023 contracts become an issue.
Normally a club would try to sell a player the summer before his contract is due to expire, with the current situation Chelsea cant offer new deals nor line deals up to get them off the books.

I just dont think UK gov have thought this one through properly, as in how it affect Chelsea FC in a sporting sense regardless if its owned by Abramovich.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Normally a club would try to sell a player the summer before his contract is due to expire, with the current situation Chelsea cant offer new deals nor line deals up to get them off the books.

I just dont think UK gov have thought this one through properly, as in how it affect Chelsea FC in a sporting sense regardless if its owned by Abramovich.
It seems like it'll get sorted in the next few weeks. New owner, none of these restrictions.

Depending on who the new owner is, we might have to sell a load of players anyway!

TheReligion

Abusive
Getting banned from spending money is probably an embarrassment for the club, of course.
I thought the club would have the money to sort their kits out lying about. Surely not that reliant on RA? Or is it not allowed to do anything with the money?

You’ll have to explain it to us mere mortals!

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
His letter said the proceeds would go to victims of the war. It was left so open he could have easily meant “Russian soldiers”

He obviously supports Chelsea. It’s been his toy for the last two decades. Why wouldn’t he want the club he supports to continue to do well? What is virtuous about that?

They’re sanctioning the club because he owns it. When he doesn’t own it, sanctions will be lifted. I’m not sure what you are finding difficult here. There’s no conspiracy.
Most of what you said isn’t accurate. They could sanction the club and sever its ties to Roman w/o sanctioning things like the clubs ability to fuel vehicles. At this point in time they ARE sanctioning the clubs ability to be sold. The narrative from people is that everything you see from Roman is a fiction and a front and that Chelsea is a secret money laundering enterprise for Russia. He’s doesn’t have controlling interest in anything else, and he has no ties to the invasion or the current Russian apparatus. So what else would they be implying other than saying his ethnicity alone is a reason to seize all he owns.
It will no longer be his “toy” at all, so the fact that he cares for things pertaining to the club so far in the future says a lot frankly.
He’s not setting up the charity… he is donating, and he was empowering non Russians like Bruce Buck to make the decision how.
This a hit job on Chelsea as an institution based on the singing incident.
The power of the distortion field around your brain lad.
When Boris Johnson was just a mayor he used to go regularly to bawdy parties held by the likes of Deripaska so that he could have Russian money funneled to him. It isn’t a secret.
And I was right on everything else as well. More and more people were asking “why?” In regards to the shut down of the club. Since the assets of the club were isolated from Roman, what was the point of making it so they could t even buy gas? They are trying to find ways to back track as we speak because it isn’t a good look. They are specifically punishing the club, not Roman Abramovich. Roman does not have the ability, or desire to draw funds from ticket sales… so why no tickets?
The answer is pretty clear all around: people are using the singing incident as justification to totally annihilate a team. That’s just wrong on many levels. And they are being called out on it.

duffer

Scout
I thought the club would have the money to sort their kits out lying about. Surely not that reliant on RA? Or is it not allowed to do anything with the money?

You’ll have to explain it to us mere mortals!
As I understand it, we can't go on shopping sprees for stuff that we don't really need. A load of new kits is a waste of money, despite Three asking (not telling) us not to use them.

If the choice is between annoying Three or breaking the terms of these sanctions, there's not really a choice.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Most of what you said isn’t accurate. They could sanction the club and sever its ties to Roman w/o sanctioning things like the clubs ability to fuel vehicles. At this point in time they ARE sanctioning the clubs ability to be sold. The narrative from people is that everything you see from Roman is a fiction and a front and that Chelsea is a secret money laundering enterprise for Russia. He’s doesn’t have controlling interest in anything else, and he has no ties to the invasion or the current Russian apparatus. So what else would they be implying other than saying his ethnicity alone is a reason to seize all he owns.
It will no longer be his “toy” at all, so the fact that he cares for things pertaining to the club so far in the future says a lot frankly.
He’s not setting up the charity… he is donating, and he was empowering non Russians like Bruce Buck to make the decision how.
This a hit job on Chelsea as an institution based on the singing incident.

When Boris Johnson was just a mayor he used to go regularly to bawdy parties held by the likes of Deripaska so that he could have Russian money funneled to him. It isn’t a secret.
And I was right on everything else as well. More and more people were asking “why?” In regards to the shut down of the club. Since the assets of the club were isolated from Roman, what was the point of making it so they could t even buy gas? They are trying to find ways to back track as we speak because it isn’t a good look. They are specifically punishing the club, not Roman Abramovich. Roman does not have the ability, or desire to draw funds from ticket sales… so why no tickets?
The answer is pretty clear all around: people are using the singing incident as justification to totally annihilate a team. That’s just wrong on many levels. And they are being called out on it.
I stand by my original quote. You’re living a different reality mate.

UnrelatedPsuedo

As I understand it, we can't go on shopping sprees for stuff that we don't really need. A load of new kits is a waste of money, despite Three asking (not telling) us not to use them.

If the choice is between annoying Three or breaking the terms of these sanctions, there's not really a choice.
Let’s be honest, Nike should be giving you another round of kits if they back you. They’re the kit supplier.

Perhaps I’m being naive. I guess that may cost Nike £hundreds of thousands and not £thousands.

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
I still think the American Boehly and wyss will take over, but if it were the Saudi Media, then how can the EPL allow Newcastle's takeover, and not Saudi Media's. They have no ties to the Saudi govt, they are an entirely private entity. I also think the Saudi Media group already have various businesses currently in the UK, and are already working here so to speak. The head of the takeover lived here for a few yrs
There are no businesses in Saudi Arabia completely separated from the government.
Weren’t 18 of the people killed in the latest mass execution convicted of “deviant ideas”?
And I’m still not ok with the justification of railroading Abramovich, and then letting Saudi royals who are meeting with Putin regularly, helping him to find places for his oil, keeping the war financed, buying ANOTHER team.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Maybe this deserves it's own thread but is it time for the Government to oversee any football club sale ? The Premier League is not up to par, time and time again they've let dodgy business men take over clubs, and it's the clubs that suffer.

duffer

Scout
Let’s be honest, Nike should be giving you another round of kits if they back you. They’re the kit supplier.

Perhaps I’m being naive. I guess that may cost Nike £hundreds of thousands and not £thousands.
It's probably a short notice issue or maybe even an oversight by someone, I would imagine the people in charge at Chelsea have been quite busy in the last few days and getting new kits can't be that high on the list of things that need sorting.

They removed a ton of Three advertising so it's not like it's been ignored totally.

UnrelatedPsuedo

It's probably a short notice issue or maybe even an oversight by someone, I would imagine the people in charge at Chelsea have been quite busy in the last few days and getting new kits can't be that high on the list of things that need sorting.

They removed a ton of Three advertising so it's not like it's been ignored totally.
Probably the case tbf. I’m buying into the reactionary.

TheReligion

Abusive

No doubt it’s a bit chaotic behind the scenes at the moment anyway.

I guess the only downside might be if three pull the plug full stop or find a loophole

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

I suspect Nike are not being proactive and want the whole 3 issue blown away.

Surely it's not just "a round of kits" but every replica they have in stock with that logo on them?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
Roman has done nothing wrong?

I think you and Chelsea (who still haven't condone the war on Ukraine need to look hard at yourselves )
I didn’t say he hadn’t done anything wrong, Boris Johnson, who has access to the 5 eyes and the best intelligence on earth commented, two days before the singing incident specifically on the question of Roman and sanctions. He asked if we really wanted to live in a world where someone could have everything they owned taken without proof of any wrongdoing. So Boris, who would know, said “no wrongdoing”.
Then two days later we had the imbeciles pulling the singing stunt. The optics were REALLY bad. And it went from “no wrongdoing”, to “Crush that club. Freeze everything. Don’t let them even sell tickets”.
It sure seems like an attack on the club. Especially since the sole justification for the sanctions was a rumor that Evraz steel provided the steel for Russian tanks. An accusation that was pretty easily disproven.
OPEC controls this war. Putin has invaded somewhere in the old soviet areas every time oil has risen above 100 a barrel. They could stabilize the price, but after meeting with Putin 3 times decided they were unified… and THEIR teams haven’t been touched.

TheReligion

Abusive
I didn’t say he hadn’t done anything wrong, Boris Johnson, who has access to the 5 eyes and the best intelligence on earth commented, two days before the singing incident specifically on the question of Roman and sanctions. He asked if we really wanted to live in a world where someone could have everything they owned taken without proof of any wrongdoing. So Boris, who would know, said “no wrongdoing”.
Then two days later we had the imbeciles pulling the singing stunt. The optics were REALLY bad. And it went from “no wrongdoing”, to “Crush that club. Freeze everything. Don’t let them even sell tickets”.
It sure seems like an attack on the club. Especially since the sole justification for the sanctions was a rumor that Evraz steel provided the steel for Russian tanks. An accusation that was pretty easily disproven.
OPEC controls this war. Putin has invaded somewhere in the old soviet areas every time oil has risen above 100 a barrel. They could stabilize the price, but after meeting with Putin 3 times decided they were unified… and THEIR teams haven’t been touched.
So you genuinely believe Roman should have been left alone and not faced sanctions?

Bluelion7

Supports
Chelsea
So you genuinely believe Roman should have been left alone and not faced sanctions?
I honestly don’t know. I asked when we would get specifics on involvement like we did with ALL the other people that were sanctioned, and we never did. If he is just rich and ethnically Russian (although he’s actually Ukrainian … but whatevs, right?)? Not really. Do we want to criminalize ethnicity by association?
But that aside, the question at this point is: why the level of attacks on the club? They froze Roman’s shares of Evraz, and suspended trading briefly, but they never shutdown the company’s ability to borrow or do business. That was reserved for JUST the football team. Is that appropriate? If Roman can’t be involved with the team or access it’s funds in any way… why can’t they even sell tickets? There certainly doesn’t seem to be a justifiable reasoning beyond retribution for the singing incident.
I actually used to wish and hope that the various rumors about British billionaires wanting to buy Roman out were true so I could just stop having to hear stuff like Chelski all the time. If it were a different situation and Roman were selling I’d be intrigued. But I also don’t like witch hunts, especially hypocritical ones.

TheReligion

Abusive
I honestly don’t know. I asked when we would get specifics on involvement like we did with ALL the other people that were sanctioned, and we never did. If he is just rich and ethnically Russian (although he’s actually Ukrainian … but whatevs, right?)? Not really. Do we want to criminalize ethnicity by association?
But that aside, the question at this point is: why the level of attacks on the club? They froze Roman’s shares of Evraz, and suspended trading briefly, but they never shutdown the company’s ability to borrow or do business. That was reserved for JUST the football team. Is that appropriate? If Roman can’t be involved with the team or access it’s funds in any way… why can’t they even sell tickets? There certainly doesn’t seem to be a justifiable reasoning beyond retribution for the singing incident.
I actually used to wish and hope that the various rumors about British billionaires wanting to buy Roman out were true so I could just stop having to hear stuff like Chelski all the time. If it were a different situation and Roman were selling I’d be intrigued. But I also don’t like witch hunts, especially hypocritical ones.
Perhaps the sanctions have a bigger impact on you as a club due to the way RA has set it up? You’re very reliant on him so much so you hold literally nothing in cash reserves and he has all your debt.

Perhaps if you were ran like an ordinary self sufficient club these sanctions wouldn’t have such a big impact on you?

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Perhaps the sanctions have a bigger impact on you as a club due to the way RA has set it up? You’re very reliant on him so much so you hold literally nothing in cash reserves and he has all your debt.

Perhaps if you were ran like an ordinary self sufficient club these sanctions wouldn’t have such a big impact on you?
Nobody knows how clubs are operate. This sanction was unprecedented. Perhaps government used club as the tool to force him away. He can't fight in court if he do club will go into adminstration.

I am simply not convinced yet any cruel mind,like many said about him simply write off minimum 2 bn worth assets. What he gained in it if he can't even come to uk anymore.

I try to find a reason even if I want to believe he is bad cruel minded person how he did do so much for charity or helping HMC during pandemic by providing accommadation and food in his premises for free. Any normal person will never do such things let alone evil person.It doesn't make any sense at all.

He can't go against Putin openly. That's for sure if he do he will be dead. He certainly knew that. This club thing aside it's just a sport after all.

Governments need to do more to initiate talks with Putin. This economic sanctions will not stop Putin because chinese and Indian governments buy crude oil from Russia far much cheaper and US sanctions won't stop them. And Putin will continue this stupid war as much as he want.

After the war will be over and those people who gave empty promise to Ukraine will shamelessly pose with Putin for his petrol. Very few differences are there except many innocent Ukrainians gave up their lives.

I am really ashamed for world leaders who could stop this war even before it started including Chinese and Indian heads of the states. These world leaders have really blood in their hands.

Posh Red

Nobody knows how clubs are operate. This sanction was unprecedented. Perhaps government used club as the tool to force him away. He can't fight in court if he do club will go into adminstration.

I am simply not convinced yet any cruel mind,like many said about him simply write off minimum 2 bn worth assets. What he gained in it if he can't even come to uk anymore.

I try to find a reason even if I want to believe he is bad cruel minded person how he did do so much for charity or helping HMC during pandemic by providing accommadation and food in his premises for free. Any normal person will never do such things let alone evil person.It doesn't make any sense at all.

He can't go against Putin openly. That's for sure if he do he will be dead. He certainly knew that. This club thing aside it's just a sport after all.

Governments need to do more to initiate talks with Putin. This economic sanctions will not stop Putin because chinese and Indian governments buy crude oil from Russia far much cheaper and US sanctions won't stop them. And Putin will continue this stupid war as much as he want.

After the war will be over and those people who gave empty promise to Ukraine will shamelessly pose with Putin for his petrol. Very few differences are there except many innocent Ukrainians gave up their lives.

I am really ashamed for world leaders who could stop this war even before it started including Chinese and Indian heads of the states. These world leaders have really blood in their hands.
Come on now

OoopsMisclick

I don't get why everybody is so concerned with the potential fall out of these sanctions.
It's the price you pay for getting funded by shady people.

What's next? A half hour TV special justifying Abramovich horrible actions?
Sky is not far from being a propaganda machine for Abramovich.

I won't shed a tear for CFC.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies

Pathetic.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

This is embarrassing

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He's lost the plot, there's no chance you're fitting the whole squad in a 7 seater.
Well he said nothing about fitting the whole squad into the 7 seater. Just that he'd drive one.

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m sorry but it seems you’ve totally lost track with reality

choccy77

Chelsea fans are really special

I bet 60% of them never heard of the club until the Italian Job.

35% since Putin decided to use UK as his play toy

5% actual fans

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Really is a massive coincidence that Chelsea fans are arguing one thing and the rest of football is arguing the other. Who’d have thought it would have split down such a line

choccy77

Really is a massive coincidence that Chelsea fans are arguing one thing and the rest of football is arguing the other. Who’d have thought it would have split down such a line
Maybe they all watch the same TV news channel that their club membership allows.

I wonder if the Chelsea Membership Packs letter begins, "Dear Comrade"