4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

fallengt

He's a con-artist. It must be it, even sunday league players ain't this bad.

Keeps It tidy

Hates Messi
It is amazing that as soon Rooney leaves we have a lot of player where everyone complains about their weight and touch. Lukaku was even bought from Everton.

AgentP

One of his better recent performances to me. Funny how we all see the game differently. I saw Pogba’s performance called garbage and disgraceful too.

The bar isn’t high for Lukaku, but, under a certain light, from a certain angle, he actually looked like a footballer at times today. Got the ball and passed to teammates on a few occasions, and I’ll take that for now.
It's sad that this is what we have come to expect from our 90 million striker! I hope he doesn't start against Liverpool. Van Dijk will eat him alive.

DanNistelrooy

Lineup Prediction & Last Man Standing winner 2017
It's sad that this is what we have come to expect from our 90 million striker! I hope he doesn't start against Liverpool. Van Dijk will eat him alive.
I couldn't work out whether Lukaku being substituted was a sign he would play on Sunday or whether Jose wanted to give Lingard and Rashford a run out up top together before they both started on Sunday.

You've got to hope for the latter, especially when the performance significantly improved after the subs. This is coming from a fan of 2017/18 Lukaku too, but so far this season he has honestly been one of the worst performing United players I have ever seen - sad to watch.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
He's basically having a 15/16 Hazard-esque season. Fully expect him to improve somewhere in March.

youmeletsfly

He's basically having a 15/16 Hazard-esque season. Fully expect him to improve somewhere in March.
Yes, and score a total of 10 goals in a season, a player that we spent 100 mil on.

He is league 2 quality atm. Having 7-10 months of being off form for a top level club should get you axed.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
It is a vicious circle. Players pass the ball to him and he cannot control the ball. They then don't trust passing the ball to him and people say he is getting no service.

OldTrevil

It’s not Mourinhos fault he can’t trap a ball.
Jose's fault is that he plays him in a system that gravely exposes his weakness, it's like he never scouted the player before signing him.

Playing dreadfully but there's no way I'd sell him; he has a number of flaws but a majority of the time he's a very good goalscorer, this season notwithstanding. Plus his overall game showed a lot of improvement from around February on of last season before this year's nosedive.

I honestly think a lot of his poor play is simply a result of the bulking up he was ordered to do for the World Cup. My solution would be to take him out of the firing line for a few weeks and get him down to the weight he was at last season, then put him back in and re-assess. I'd put money on him then getting back to his 17/18 form within a few weeks.

I also think people constantly overlook the fact that a large majority of players, including outstanding ones, will go through lengthy periods of bad form throughout their career that can even last a season or more. Hell, almost all of us here love Michael Carrick, and for good reason, yet it's often forgotten that he had a pretty awful spell of form that lasted around 2.5 years (if I recall my dates correctly it was from the middle of 09/10 up until the beginning of 12/13, when he returned to phenomenal form and had probably his best season for us). Then there's the case of Ryan Giggs, who was so poor for a large stretch of 02/03 that he was booed at Old Trafford and a fair few fans wanted him gone. Teddy Sheringham scored TWO league goals in our Treble winning season.

Some might argue that the aforementioned players had built up more leeway having had many more good seasons at the club than Romelu (though Sheringham's lean year was only his 2nd at the club), but given the amount of goals he scored at Everton prior to moving here (and let's not forget he became Belgium's record goalscorer at the age of 24 too), he deserves the same leeway too.

If we'd sold every player who had an extended run of poor form in the Fergie era, we would have lost a ton of amazing players and subsequently won bugger all trophies. A bit of perspective is in order here.

Last edited:

El Presidente

Playing dreadfully but there's no way I'd sell him; he has a number of flaws but a majority of the time he's a very good goalscorer, this season notwithstanding. Plus his overall game showed a lot of improvement from around February on of last season before this year's nosedive.

I honestly think a lot of his poor play is simply a result of the bulking up he was ordered to do for the World Cup. My solution would be to take him out of the firing line for a few weeks and get him down to the weight he was at last season, then put him back in and re-assess. I'd put money on him then getting back to his 17/18 form within a few weeks.

I also think people constantly overlook the fact that a large majority of players, including outstanding ones, will go through lengthy periods of bad form throughout their career that can even last a season or more. Hell, almost all of us here love Michael Carrick, and for good reason, yet it's often forgotten that he had a pretty awful spell of form that lasted around 2.5 years (if I recall my dates correctly it was from the middle of 09/10 up until the beginning of 12/13, when he returned to phenomenal form and had probably his best season for us). Then there's the case of Ryan Giggs, who was so poor for a large stretch of 02/03 that he was booed at Old Trafford and a fair few fans wanted him gone. Teddy Sheringham scored TWO league goals in our Treble winning season.

Some might argue that the aforementioned players had built up more leeway having had many more good seasons at the club than Romelu (though Sheringham's lean year was only his 2nd at the club), but given the amount of goals he scored at Everton prior to moving here (and let's not forget he became Belgium's record goalscorer at the age of 24 too), he deserves the same leeway too.

If we'd sold every player who had an extended run of poor form in the Fergie era, we would have lost a ton of amazing players and subsequently won bugger all trophies. A bit of perspective is in order here.
Yeah, he is in bad form, but many in here believe, myself included, that he was never really that good to begin with. We can talk on and on, for his first touch, positioning, technique etc. In the end it all comes down to a one simple question - is he a Suarez, Lewa, Aguero, Kane, Cavani? No. Than he has no business in this club. Just because the board has lowered the standards, doesn’t mean that the fans should, too.

Yeah, he is in bad form, but many in here believe, myself included, that he was never really that good to begin with. We can talk on and on, for his first touch, positioning, technique etc. In the end it all comes down to a one simple question - is he a Suarez, Lewa, Aguero, Kane, Cavani? No. Than he has no business in this club. Just because the board has lowered the standards, doesn’t mean that the fans should, too.
I see what you're saying mate, and for what it's worth, I'd ideally like to upgrade on Lukaku with a striker who has a better all-round game (and especially movement) that allows us to play more aesthetically pleasing football than the lumping up the field that we're often subjected to.

That said, there's a lot of middle ground between a player being indispensable and needing to be sold, and too often these threads about any player who is under-performing veer towards the latter.

I also wouldn't be against trying Rom out as a RWF at some point - drifting out to the wing has often showcased his best football for me, as he seems to use his pace more effectively to knock it past defenders and get past his man. He's probably our best crosser too, which is kinda sad really.

youngrell

Another bad game for Rom. He could do with some serious coaching from a former forward who was renowned for their movement.

He should start runs from deeper and then maybe the midfield will be able to spot his run and make the pass. As it is, he stands level with the defence and points forward. How he expects the midfield to see that and play an inch perfect ball for him to run onto is baffling. Much easier to see a run over an arm.

El Presidente

I see what you're saying mate, and for what it's worth, I'd ideally like to upgrade on Lukaku with a striker who has a better all-round game (and especially movement) that allows us to play more aesthetically pleasing football than the lumping up the field that we're often subjected to.

That said, there's a lot of middle ground between a player being indispensable and needing to be sold, and too often these threads about any player who is under-performing veer towards the latter.

I also wouldn't be against trying Rom out as a RWF at some point - drifting out to the wing has often showcased his best football for me, as he seems to use his pace more effectively to knock it past defenders and get past his man. He's probably our best crosser too, which is kinda sad really.
Sure, he would have been a decent backup option if he wasn’t actually one of the top earners in the league (which is wrong on so many levels btw). I don’t think there is a club that could nor should afford to have a reserve player on 250k/week. And that makes him useless. Not good enough to be a starter, unaffordable to be used as a sub.

Needham

It is a vicious circle. Players pass the ball to him and he cannot control the ball. They then don't trust passing the ball to him and people say he is getting no service.
No sarcasm whatsoever but this should be extended into an article. Sums up the relationship between everyone at the club at the moment.

Siorac

The thing about him is that even at his best he's VERY streaky, and offers relatively little - compared to top strikers - during his goal droughts. And when he's low on confidence and struggling for form like this, he looks like a competition winner who got a chance to play with his favourite players in a friendly.

Someone with his ability would be a half-decent backup for games when we are dominating but the ball just would not go in. But that's not exactly what you would expect from a 75m striker who is presumably on high wages, too.

Gordon S

I will never understand why the club so stubbornly persists with underperforming players.
Rooney was no better than current Lukaku for a lot of games under LvG, but he was always playing 90 min, every game.

Zlatan was better but still had a far too long spell where he couldn't score to save his life, was of course untouchable throughout the spell.

Now Lukaku has been in terrible form from the start of the season but it is only now, 4 months into the season you get the feeling that Rashford and/or Martial is closer to a starting spot up front than him.

Lukaku is a better striker than he is showing right now, but i think it would be fair if he had to force his way back by working his socks off in every training session and showing continous improvement over extended time.

PGLFC91

Supports
Liverpool
He has always struggled at Anfield but he actually had a golden chance to score last season.

Can see why Mourinho would start him Sunday as he is an outball and think we can expect a few long balls to beat the Liverpool press.

If I was a United fan and/or manager I'd go with Lingard Rashford Martial though.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
He is not good enough to be deployed as a striker in 4231. Think Jose also realizes this and probably the reason why we are playing Rashford closer to him.

He is still a very good goal scorer mind you. This is one of the worst season for him and yet he has scored 6 goals which is not actually a bad return . Keep him and let him be the flat track bully. Just keep him away for the big matches though.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Lukaku’s United career (like most things to do with the club these days) has to be some kind of cosmic joke.

After years listening to United fans complain about Wayne Rooney and how impossible it is to accommodate an inconsistent striker with such a low level of performance when he’s not on form, I can only assume that some supernatural being has intervened to teach us all a lesson....

You cnuts think Rooney blew hot and cold?! Well fecking check THIS out!!

Mailo

Lukaku’s United career (like most things to do with the club these days) has to be some kind of cosmic joke.

After years listening to United fans complain about Wayne Rooney and how impossible it is to accommodate an inconsistent striker with such a low level of performance when he’s not on form, I can only assume that some supernatural being has intervened to teach us all a lesson....

You cnuts think Rooney blew hot and cold?! Well fecking check THIS out!!
LOL!

Suv666

The most depressing thing is knowing United he would probably play here for years just like the likes of Jones, Young etc

laughtersassassin

The most depressing thing is knowing United he would probably play here for years just like the likes of Jones, Young etc

This is another major reasons why we are awful. We hang on to Mediocre players long after their expirey date. The funny thing is a lot of our fans are fine with it and even ask for such players to be given new contracts.

Darlington Padgett

I never thought Id say this but Rooney in his latter days actually brought more to the pitch than Lukaku does now.
We need to sell him this summer no question. Either Rash or Martial will do the trick for now. He is just a terrible footballer
I genuinely believe he's done as a footballer. I don't think we'll get any money for him. He's so big yet so weak and can't hold the ball, his first touch needs no explanation. I can't believe Rooney and Zlatan left and he's here...

red4ever 79

Fecking terrible football. How many cra*p players have we got in out starting line up. Him, Valencia, Jones, Fellaini, Matic. Depressing. The only thing you can hope for is that Martial and Rashford continue to show this guy how to move, how to run and score, and you just hope to god the manager will drop him.

marko goalo

What makes me laugh is when people think he just needs to "work on his first touch". It's something you either have, or you don't. Lukaku has never had a good first touch. He has never been a technically gifted player. He's always been a physically gifted player, but never had that quality on the ball. It's not a matter of just working on it. Some parts of your game you can improve, some you can't. Technique is very much something that is evident from a very young age, and it doesn't change too much from that. Refining what you have a bit, sure. But Lukaku needs a complete overhaul in his whole technique, and that's impossible. He's been playing football every day for ages, and his first touch and technique has always been his weakness. People who thought that by joining United this would magically change were kidding themselves. Never was good enough and never going to be good enough. The sooner we cut our losses, the better.
A perfect analysis of the player. He's 25 or thereabouts now not some 18/19 year old still looking to iron out issues such as decision making ala Rashford. The technique or lack of would have improved by now if it was ever there. He isn't going to improve any part of his game now.

Vanya

He has to stop playing with his back to goal. instead he needs to play on the shoulder of the last defender on the half turn ALL the time. Thats where his strength lies.

Sylar

Given his performance, and given Rashfords when he came on, surely Jose will put Lukaku on the bench, at most?

Status
Not open for further replies.