4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

CallyRed

He is getting more and more hench, even since the WC.

Should have scored, was a good save though.

Just needs to get fit.

el3mel

Announced he'll retire from international football after next Euro (2020). He'll be 27 by then.

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
That seems like a really strange decision considering his work ethic and desire to consistently better himself etc.

But on the other hand, he is basically the last of this 'golden generation' with Belgium not really looking too hot in terms of new prospects and this World Cup just gone (and the Euros upcoming) being their only major chances of silverware within his career. He came up with a lot of those too, starting for the NT since the age of 17. He'll easily go down as the golden boot winner too.

Still quite a strange decision. Especially to make so early.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
He won't actually stop at after Euros. Doesn't matter what he says now.

Inter Yer Nan

That's good for us but a strange decision indeed. Maybe there's something deeper to it than that? He spoke prior to the World Cup about people in Belgium rooting for him to fail, spoke of racism etc;

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
As far as we're concerned that is great news.

He's played a lot of football for his age and the breaks would do him a world of good at that stage in his career.

Brighton 3:2 Man Utd

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Two weeks. Two sitters. Result could've been so different if he had given us the lead.

I have absolutely no confidence in him in those positions. Absurd for a supposedly elite striker who cost £80 fecking million.

kundalini

Scored, otherwise a crap performance. Awful finish for his early chance. Gave the ball away too often.

Minimalist

He missed a really good chance.

Then again, we created sweet fcuk all and he still managed to score.

el3mel

Crap missing.

Very off the form and rusty. When he's bad in one game, he really is. No in between, no 6 or 6.5. He's either 8 or 0.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Terrible, terrible performance. Inexcusable and rusty certainly isn't one.

Really miss the days of having total confidence in a striker.

If only the rest of the team was good enough to flatter him like the Belgium side.

Coops73

Frustrating and poor, maybe yes he’s “rusty” but that’s a pretty lame excuse to be honest.

Rajma

People arrogantly were laughing at me when I kept banging on about Lukaku being not good enough for us, not so much now it seems.

He can still be a weapon for us in fairness but in different role (not central) and under another coach.

Hammondo

I think the fact that he barely needed to touch the ball was the main reason he scored it, if he actually had to do something he would have missed I think.

Raw

He was poor. I don't think he'll be suited for a team that doesn't create enough chances for him, because he isn't as clinical as we need him to be right now.

Meep

Lukaku looks clumsy on the ball. He is trying and sometimes you see him run into spaces that other people should cover so I guess he has a better football brain than most of the others. Looking a bit lazy anyways but sure as hell do not get much to work with so that clumsy touch will be hard to better.

Aloysius's Back 3

People arrogantly were laughing at me when I kept banging on about Lukaku being not good enough for us, not so much now it seems.

He can still be a weapon for us in fairness but in different role (not central) and under another coach.
I keep shut because ultimately he will score goals - however he is not good enough to be put at the central of our attack and to be arguably our main and only attacking option we try to utilize. He is just a better version of Hernandez who again scores goals but ultimately breaks off moves and needs about 5 chances to score a goal.

Even for Belgium; best performance for them was when De bryune played as a false 9 whilst Lukaku moved to be to the right and just a part of their attack. Martinez reverted it back and played Lukaku centrally upfront & unsuprisingly; lost the following game.

Rajma

I keep shut because ultimately he will score goals - however he is not good enough to be put at the central of our attack and to be arguably our main and only attacking option we try to utilize. He is just a better version of Hernandez who again scores goals but ultimately breaks off moves and needs about 5 chances to score a goal.

Even for Belgium; best performance for them was when De bryune played as a false 9 whilst Lukaku moved to be to the right and just a part of their attack. Martinez reverted it back and played Lukaku centrally upfront & unsuprisingly; lost the following game.
You just basically articulated my thoughts, couldn’t agree more.

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
I don’t get why people rate him so highly I was against us signing him and I still stick by it he isn’t an elite striker and we won’t get anywhere near a top trophy with him leading the line.

Un4givableB

I don’t get why people rate him so high
That has been said about Drogba and still said about Diego Costa, the thing is that they are Mourinho players and Mourinho has a master plan, not my kind of football but it's winning football.
Only if he can implement it and not being second guessed by a jumped up marketing manager masquerading, as a chief executive of a FOOTBALL club.

Yes, Lukaku had a poor game today, but to say he's not good enough for United is ridiculous. Have people forgotten how much he progressed last season?

At the beginning of last season his all-round game was lacking despite banging in the goals, whereas (after a mid-season slump) he came back really strongly from around Feb/March time onward, not only scoring plenty of goals again, but also showing immense improvement in his link-up play, dribbling, and crucially his mentality. It seemed to dawn on him that he had to cut the mustard every time he steps onto the pitch in a United shirt, and this was reflected in both his increased work-ethic and willingness to be a leader that became more evident as the season wore on. His big game performances were improving too, though he still needs to find the back of the net in more of them.

Lukaku is the least of our problems. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that people were creaming over his World Cup showings? I seem to remember him having a phenomenal game against those international also rans called Brazil.

Rajma

That has been said about Drogba and still said about Diego Costa, the thing is that they are Mourinho players and Mourinho has a master plan, not my kind of football but it's winning football.
Only if he can implement it and not being second guessed by a jumped up marketing manager masquerading, as a chief executive of a FOOTBALL club.
You good to be kidding me Lukaku has nothing on Costa and Drogba, different players altogether.

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He's not great is he.

That miss. Oh dear. His touch. Oh dear.

His workrate. Oh dear.

That attempted backheel was Sunday league.

Someone said Hernandez but his movement was on another level and he was pretty clinical. His hold up play is similar

Backrow Singer

I really don’t know. He scores goals but seems to miss big chances when we need him to score. He should be putting that into the net today, or at the very least he’s got to do better than he’s done.

His movement was awful as well, makes it difficult for the lads in behind him. Certainly first half, with Mata and Lakaku, we didn’t stretch them at all and they just condensed the middle of the pitch.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Yes, Lukaku had a poor game today, but to say he's not good enough for United is ridiculous. Have people forgotten how much he progressed last season?

At the beginning of last season his all-round game was lacking despite banging in the goals, whereas (after a mid-season slump) he came back really strongly from around Feb/March time onward, not only scoring plenty of goals again, but also showing immense improvement in his link-up play, dribbling, and crucially his mentality. It seemed to dawn on him that he had to cut the mustard every time he steps onto the pitch in a United shirt, and this was reflected in both his increased work-ethic and willingness to be a leader that became more evident as the season wore on. His big game performances were improving too, though he still needs to find the back of the net in more of them.

Lukaku is the least of our problems. Wasn't it just a few weeks ago that people were creaming over his World Cup showings? I seem to remember him having a phenomenal game against those international also rans called Brazil.
That's all well and good but to lead the line for United you need to be able to finish everything. There's no way Lukaku could've done what Aguero did today with that Ederson goal kick. He probably wouldn't have even controlled it.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Start him on the right. I'm not kidding.
And bring in a technically solid CF in the Firmino mould who can allow Lukaku to operate in space rather than trying to control balls all the time.

Godfather

A special mention goes out to Rom who couldn't control a football to save his life today and looked like a compete pub footballer.
Well done lad.

That's all well and good but to lead the line for United you need to be able to finish everything. There's no way Lukaku could've done what Aguero did today with that Ederson goal kick. He probably wouldn't have even controlled it.
Granted there are better finishers out there, but he still has time to improve in this regard given that he's only 25. Also, there are barely any strikers who "finish everything" - they all miss their fair share of chances. Rooney and RVP used to mess up quite a few easy chances, but no one would argue that either weren't great players, especially as they made up for this with bucketloads of great goals. Lukaku largely does the same, as demonstrated by the 27 he pitched in with last year, within a team that had all the attacking impetus of a stoned panda.

Reactions: Penna

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was a bit funny how bad he was today tbh. Can only get better from here, at least he got a goal though. So not completely useless, just mostly.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Two weeks running he’s missed from great situations. He may have scored but it feels like the ghost of Romelu Lukaku returned from Russia 2018 at the moment.

Stadjer

Really bad game. The chance he got when it was still 0-0 didnt even make the goalie work... you would expect better from a world class striker.

Status
Not open for further replies.