4.8 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zlatattack

He's having a bad patch, needs rotating. Unfortunately I don't think we have a proper 9 in the team at the moment. Rashford and Martial both excel with space to run into at people, Sanchez could do it but he's so so out of form. Idk if you drop him anyway or let him play back into form.

Zlatattack

Last season we had alot of cheeky buggers around laughing at his doubters when he got on these tap in streaks.

Hello, lurking much?
No such thing as a tap in streak. A striker scored goals, doesn't matter how.

Dong Fanzhou, Manucho Goncalves, David Hellion, Falcao, Alan Smith? We've dropped some proper clangers.
Alan Smith was plenty good enough. He was just blighted by lots of minor injuries and one horrific one.

BusbyMalone

First Man Falling
Some predictably hyperbolic comments in here. But he should be dropped at the moment. He's just so out of form at the moment. I'd play Sanchez up front (not thats he's setting the world alight) as i think it's probably his best position. Don't like him out wide for us.

Frank Grimes

Have been a big supporter of Lukaku but it's become obvious that he needs dropping. Guarantee you we would be a better side with even an off form Sanchez up top flanked by Martial and Rashford.

kerryman

I've said it many times before but he is nowhere near the quality of striker we need and we won't come close to winning the league with him as our number 9.
He's on track for another return of 16/17 goals this campaign (4 goals in first 9 games) which is nowhere near good enough for a team that want to compete for the title.

The thing that most annoys me is that Jose seems to see him as undroppable. His goal return for minutes played is woeful!

Watching him and Morata yesterday I couldn't decide who was more rubbish...to think they were the 'marquee' strikers who were available that summer and for that money is amazing.

I'd happily take Arnautovic over Lukaku any day, similar stats in a much worse team, but looks a lot more skilful. Would be interesting to see what he could do in our team given the chances Lukaku has had.

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
100% agree. Worst CF (or indeed footballer) I've seen at United and I've been supporting since '83
Since I started supporting United I don't remember any striker worse than him who played for us bar Falcao and Welbeck and they weren't starters.

RVN, Ole, Saha, Rooney, Tevez, Berbatov, Chicharito, RVP, Zlatan.

I'll take all of them ahead of him any time.
He's the worst number 9 I have seen in my time following United without a doubt.
Diego Forlan?

Also for a player that is apparently useless he has a goals to game ratio of 1:2. Not bad for a terrible footballer.

Canagel

Diego Forlan?

Also for a player that is apparently useless he has a goals to game ratio of 1:2. Not bad for a terrible footballer.
His goal scoring record confuses me. :lol: a player with such poor skills shouldn't have as many goals as this. Actually someone was saying the Lukaku situation is worse than our CB situation and I agree. He needs dropping ASAP.
It is a shame because I liked his determination to succeed and I liked his story from Belgium but it's clear we can't progress forward with Lukaku in a key role. Maybe as a squad player yes but not starting.

Last edited:

SWE-Chucky

Supports
AIK Stockholm

De Gea
Dalot Bailly Lindelöf Shaw
Fred Matic Pogba
Alexis
Rashford Martial​

Its time to try something new.

kr0nix

Had Manucho even played a game for us ? I don't remember. Signed and then got hyped due to CAN 2008, but he ceased to exist later. :lol:
If I remember correctly he made one substitute appearance for us.

meamth

well played, admin.

I think Pogba, Rashford and Martial are annoyed at this point when they passed the ball to Lukaku.

We can see Pogba's body language everytime he delivers a beautiful pass to him. He just.... seems defeated and didnt expect more from Lukaku.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Today was the undisputed heavyweight battle of the shit strikers. Strikers that two top clubs inexplicably pretended were worth expensively battling it out for in the halcyon summer of ol’ ‘17, because there was literally no one else to buy, and, well, ‘spose you gotta buy sommin’!

In a way it lived up to its billing.. at least in the sense that both were incredibly shit, and did almost next to nothing. Our shit striker stayed on for longer though. So that’s something... not necessarily a good thing, but still...

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Today was the undisputed heavyweight battle of the shit strikers. Strikers that two top clubs inexplicably pretended were worth expensively battling it out for in the halcyon summer of ol’ ‘17, because there was literally no one else to buy, and, well, ‘spose you gotta buy sommin’!

In a way it lived up to its billing.. at least in the sense that both were incredibly shit, and did almost next to nothing. Our shit striker stayed on for longer though. So that’s something... not necessarily a good thing, but still...
Fraudley v Sprott

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Remember watching him at a training session at the Albion and thinking how on earth is this guy a professional footballer - no word of a lie he was struggling to dribble through cones and his touch was horrendous. The strides he has made since those days has been remarkable but he probably all in all - is found wanting at this level at this moment in time.

What I will say is that it is very easy to write off players in this situation where it’s almost like dead man walking and the squad is trying to play somewhat but the long term picture is very uncertain and especially the lack of any real gameplay in attack. When he drifts to the right he looks dangerous but how many times do you see us actually incorporate that into our attack is a tactical ploy? It seems ad hoc and used only when we are losing.

Never wanted him at this club but many players we have at the moment who look very bad at the moment but could be revitalised under new management. He seems to be doing alright for Belgium - he might not be the long term solution - but he’s certainly better than what he is showing at the moment.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Fraudley v Sprott
I remember leaving Stockholm absolutely buzzing, not just cos we’d won a European trophy we’d never won before, but also because it meant we’d almost certainly sign Greizmann. Or someone like Greizmann, and definitively stake out claim to being back! Capital B!

Instead we signed Matic and Lukaku and bent over backwards convincing ourselves that was a great summer - despite deep down knowing it wasn’t, and absolutely no one coveting them beforehand - cos we beat West Ham and Swansea early doors.

Happy fecking days.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Remember watching him at a training session at the Albion and thinking how on earth is this guy a professional footballer - no word of a lie he was struggling to dribble through cones and his touch was horrendous. The strides he has made since those days has been remarkable but he probably all in all - is found wanting at this level at this moment in time.

What I will say is that it is very easy to write off players in this situation where it’s almost like dead man walking and the squad is trying to play somewhat but the long term picture is very uncertain and especially the lack of any real gameplay in attack. When he drifts to the right he looks dangerous but how many times do you see us actually incorporate that into our attack is a tactical ploy? It seems ad hoc and used only when we are losing.

Never wanted him at this club but many players we have at the moment who look very bad at the moment but could be revitalised under new management. He seems to be doing alright for Belgium - he might not be the long term solution - but he’s certainly better than what he is showing at the moment.
I actually went to watch Everton - West Brom with my then football team in March before we bought him. The Everton warm up was taking place right in front of our seats and none of us could believe how incredibly lazy his warm up was compared to everyone else. He was never closing to getting to all the cones put out by Everton's coach. I would have given a bollocking to anyone warming up like that in my amateur team yet here he was doing it in the premier league. :lol:

Fergietime@99

He's having a bad patch, needs rotating. Unfortunately I don't think we have a proper 9 in the team at the moment. Rashford and Martial both excel with space to run into at people, Sanchez could do it but he's so so out of form. Idk if you drop him anyway or let him play back into form.
his bad patch in front of goal for us is becoming the norm. It's when he scores he is going through a good patch, right now he is playing as his usual self.

Rajma

I actually went to watch Everton - West Brom with my then football team in March before we bought him. The Everton warm up was taking place right in front of our seats and none of us could believe how incredibly lazy his warm up was compared to everyone else. He was never closing to getting to all the cones put out by Everton's coach. I would have given a bollocking to anyone warming up like that in my amateur team yet here he was doing it in the premier league. :lol:
People were giving me hard time last season because I called him out for his laziness. Lukaku somehow managed to con people into thinking that he’s hardworking it’s incredible actually.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Does he have respiratory issue? Everytime he run a bit, you can see he’s like out of breath. That’s just not normal for an athlete.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite

:lol: :lol: I’m just so easily amused. That opening sentence is gold.

LoneStar

Does he have respiratory issue? Everytime he run a bit, you can see he’s like out of breath. That’s just not normal for an athlete.
He's put on way too much muscle. His body looks more akin to a bodybuilder than an athlete. Really needs to lose some of that muscle.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
People were giving me hard time last season because I called him out for his laziness. Lukaku somehow managed to con people into thinking that he’s hardworking it’s incredible actually.
I think he still works hard defensively but you don't your striker to not show that energy when attacking. I hate it so much when he asks for the ball at his feet, like he is some kinda playmaking genius :lol:

He's put on way too much muscle. His body looks more akin to a bodybuilder than an athlete. Really needs to lose some of that muscle.
I'd say he looks like a 100m sprinter and that doesn't help at all when playing football. It's about balance, he was perfect before. I don't understand this need to put on muscle like that and how everyone seems fine with it at the club. Ronaldo is the perfect athlete for football and he isn't huge, just ripped

LoneStar

Another game, another terrible performance. I have completely given up any hope on him. I am now certain that we will never win anything significant with Lukaku leading the line. He is a mid-table level striker.

Unless we have a team full of world class players ready to feed him, he will continue to look average. Can never score a stunner or create a chance himself.

But yesterday was a pretty even match, consiering Morata was shite as well. Can't believe these two players went for such a huge price tag.

At this point play Sanchez or even Fellaini up top and we will play far better. Contributing absolutely nothing to the team.

kouroux

I'd say he looks like a 100m sprinter and that doesn't help at all when playing football

:lol::lol:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I mean, don’t we have a physical trainer/coach for this sort of thing? If you can see that, why is this allowed?

LoneStar

I mean, don’t we have a physical trainer/coach for this sort of thing? If you can see that, why is this allowed?
Yes it's definitely very wierd. Modern strikers should prioritise agility over raw strength, especially when he doesn't even use his physicality much.

kouroux

Yes it's definitely very wierd. Modern strikers should prioritise agility over raw strength, especially when he doesn't even use his physicality much.
The crazy thing is that he was already very strong before. In terms of battling with defenders,I also don't think it's just about strength but the agility you also mentioned. It's about having a good balance of everything, Lukaku prioritising strength fecks up the rest of his game.

LoneStar

The crazy thing is that he was already very strong before. In terms of battling with defenders,I also don't think it's just about strength but the agility you also mentioned. It's about having a good balance of everything, Lukaku prioritising strength fecks up the rest of his game.
Yup, agreed. He doesn't have good balance of strength, agility and techinque.

Litch

Comments are well overboard and I'm in no doubt he's a top, top goal scorer as the 100 goals in 230 games (or something like that) you don't score over so many seasons in a Everton or WBA shirt if you are not. That said, his weaknesses are more apparent for me as he's expected to do more here and do it higher up the pitch in the way we play. Whilst Martial is technically much better, I don't think it's his game either playing with his back to CB.

Yes Rom is struggling but I still say it's the style of attacking football where in modern football none of the top teams play with a traditional target man any more.

Gordon S

Remember an Everton fan writing in Lukakus transfer thread, sayin we would be frustrated with his lack of quality on the pitch, he could do nothing of note for 88 minutes then suddenly pop up with two goals and decide the game.

His strength is that he is clinical when the chance comes to him. Or thats what it's supposed to be.
When that is gone there is nothing left. Can't understand what Jose is thinking when he is leaving him on for the full 90 every game. Surely one of Rashford, Martial or Alexis could play there for atleast the last 20 minutes every now and then, to give the big guy some rest and perhaps a kick up the arse.

If this form continues for Lukaku, even Greenwood will soon be a better option.

Status
Not open for further replies.