Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

DepaysCowboyHat

Weird player, always scores goals but somehow never good enough (yeayea no first touch blabla)

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
I hope he does well. Solskjaer never gave him a chance. One of my favorite players
Never game him chance? it was reported that he was injured when Ole took over. After that he played in almost every game.

In PL - He played 15 out of 16 games he was available. He was injured for first couple of games when Ole took over and then he was injured for last 2 league games. He started 10 league games out of 16 he was available and 5 games he came on as a sub.

In CL - We played 4 CL games, he played in all 4 PL games. Started 2 and came on as a sub in 2 games.

In FA cup - He was available for 3 games and he started all 3 games.

So overall he was available for 23 games under Ole, he started 17 games and came on as a sub in 5 games.

In Transfermarkt, they haven't mentioned about Lukaku's injury when Ole took over,, Ole confirmed they were injured in Press conference. Even if add those 2 games, it won't change much.

Sanchez, Martial and Lukaku have all undergone light training sessions and Solskjaer said Scott McTominay and Marcos Rojo would resume first-team training 'soon'. However, Chris Smalling is out until mid-January, at the earliest.

"We've not had a lot of training," Solskjaer said. "So we had yesterday off, today's the first day back. Romelu, Anthony and Alexis were light, light yesterday so hopefully they can join part of the training today and let's see how they come through.
He got chances, only difference was, he wasn't sure starter like he was under Jose and was subbed out of games too.

NotThatSoph

He was a hinderance to the rest of the team. I doubt 2 years under conte are fixing his first touch and interplay. He’s the guy to score all the goals….but the team score less.
He was not a hindrance to the rest of the team at Inter, he was an important player in their general play. As for the team scoring less, here are Inter's last 10 seasons:

• 11/12: 58 goals, 6th place.
  • 12/13: 55 goals, 9th place.
  • 13/14: 62 goals, 5th place.
  • 14/15: 59 goals, 8th place.
  • 15/16: 50 goals, 4th place.
  • 16/17: 72 goals, 7th place.
  • 17/18: 66 goals, 4th place.
  • 18/19: 57 goals, 4th place.
  • 19/20: 81 goals, 2nd place.
  • 20/21: 89 goals, 1st place.
That's the two highest scoring and best placing seasons with Lukaku in the team, by quite a margin. Of course he didn't do that on his own, but you'd have to do some insane gymnastics to argue that it was in spite of him.

Last edited:

Bleu

Supports
New England Revolution
He was not a hindrance to the rest of the team at Inter, he was an important player in their general play. As for the team scoring less, here are Inter's last 10 seasons:

That's the two highest scoring and best placing seasons with Lukaku in the team, by quite a margin. Of course he didn't do that on his own, but you'd have to do some insane gymnastics to argue that it was in spite of him.
Great reaearch. People really love making things up to prove a false point.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
He was a hinderance to the rest of the team. I doubt 2 years under conte are fixing his first touch and interplay. He’s the guy to score all the goals….but the team score less.
Given that our top PL scorer last season was Jorginho with 7 goals, I don't think the rest of the team scoring less is likely to be an issue..

Verbalkint

I am sure he'll do well. Can't see Lukaku missing some of the chances Timo Werner had last season. He'll end up with 30+ goals with the same service.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore

He got 11 Assists for inter last season
next best was hakimi with 9
then barella with 8
martinez and brozovic with 7

so yeah he really was massively important to them
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/inter-milan/top-scorers/assists

Skeezix

As much as I dislike his attitude and all round play while at United. He's done well at Inter under Conte.
Tuchel seems an intense coach much like Conte. So no doubt he'll be fit and score goals. And his hold play during Euros was quite good. But that seems more like an anomaly than the norm.

And will Lukaku be willing to run as much as Werner does considering those two will likely compete for the same CF position. If he does, then he'll be an improvement on Werner.

Otherwise, Chelsea fans will be disappointed again with his poor touches and the follow up obligatory thumbs up to his team mates.

Just like the Chelsea fans warned us about Jose, now United fans are warning Chelsea fans about Lukaku now. Haha

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
He got 11 Assists for inter last season
next best was hakimi with 9
then barella with 8
martinez and brozovic with 7

so yeah he really was massively important to them
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/teams/inter-milan/top-scorers/assists
More or less he will play almost all top teams in first ten games for chelsea I think. Will be easy to judge him sooner than later. It's all about two perceptions that inter version or man utd version. I am more than happy even he is still the same man utd player who can score against mid lower table teams.

Last time man utd got 80+ points he was instrumental in that team.So not much worried about him other than his price tag and chelsea recycled those money by selling players not able to find regular time with first team.

Basically we upgraded the striker position from Tammy to Lukaku without spending money. :D

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
As much as I dislike his attitude and all round play while at United. He's done well at Inter under Conte.
Tuchel seems an intense coach much like Conte. So no doubt he'll be fit and score goals. And his hold play during Euros was quite good. But that seems more like an anomaly than the norm.

And will Lukaku be willing to run as much as Werner does considering those two will likely compete for the same CF position. If he does, then he'll be an improvement on Werner.

Otherwise, Chelsea fans will be disappointed again with his poor touches and the follow up obligatory thumbs up to his team mates.

Just like the Chelsea fans warned us about Jose, now United fans are warning Chelsea fans about Lukaku now. Haha
Everything that has been said is both Werner and Lukaku will be on the field together unless rotation to rest. We will have to see,

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea

Can't see him competing with Werner at all. Werner really isn't a solo CF as he keeping making abundantly clear with his performances, but he has all the hallmarks of an incredibly good supporting attacker or second striker.

Skeezix

Can't see him competing with Werner at all. Werner really isn't a solo CF as he keeping making abundantly clear with his performances, but he has all the hallmarks of an incredibly good supporting attacker or second striker.
Lukaku will be the default CF it seems then. That means Mount, Werner, Ziyech, Pulisic competing for the LF or No 10 role. It will interesting to watch Chelsea matches this season.

But I'm also looking forward to some of the youtube compilations of misses. Werner and Lukaku in the same team. Morata shouldn't have left :lol:

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
But I'm also looking forward to some of the youtube compilations of misses. Werner and Lukaku in the same team. Morata shouldn't have left :lol:
If Lukaku can come close to his Inter numbers, then you'll hear no complaints from me. :)

United in sin

Never game him chance? it was reported that he was injured when Ole took over. After that he played in almost every game.

In PL - He played 15 out of 16 games he was available. He was injured for first couple of games when Ole took over and then he was injured for last 2 league games. He started 10 league games out of 16 he was available and 5 games he came on as a sub.

In CL - We played 4 CL games, he played in all 4 PL games. Started 2 and came on as a sub in 2 games.

In FA cup - He was available for 3 games and he started all 3 games.

So overall he was available for 23 games under Ole, he started 17 games and came on as a sub in 5 games.

In Transfermarkt, they haven't mentioned about Lukaku's injury when Ole took over,, Ole confirmed they were injured in Press conference. Even if add those 2 games, it won't change much.

He got chances, only difference was, he wasn't sure starter like he was under Jose and was subbed out of games too.
You don't have to break down his appearances for me, im well aware. He did get to play but the last part of your post is really what I'm talking about. Solskjaer never backed him as our leading forward.

When I say he wasn't given a chance I'm alluding to Solskjaer coming in with plans to make Rashford our main CF not too long after he took the helm. I don't think he ever had him in his long term plans and it was pretty evident.

Solskjaer asked Lukaku, a proven PL goalscorer with more experience and better finishing than both Rashford and Martial, to play on the wings. Lukaku himself mentioned this as being a pivotal step towards his eventual exit from the club

How can Lukaku be one of your favourite players? Modern football fans everybody!
How is Januzaj doing these days? We all have our shortcomings! Seriously though, I've always admired Lukaku. He's grown into a world class forward

You are named for Adnan Januzaj. My username is a tribute to Damien Duff!

Neither of us can throw stones about favourite players!
Haha!
That's nonsense.
See my first response

Mike Phelan's Former Tash

He scores some goals, mainly against fodder and goes missing against better teams more often than not and is streaky with his goals.

How many of his goals club and country are decisive? Winners? Equalisers?

His stats look great but if you actually watch him play he's not an elite striker and never will be.

He'll do well for Chelsea sure but I wonder how long it will take until the fans are frustrated at his 'link up' play and arm waving, blaming everyone else because he can't trap a ball.

I find it strange that there are still United fans who rate this guy to be honest. Its even stranger that they dont trust our manager's decision to get rid seeing as he is a club legend striker and knows exactly what it takes at United. Look at our team now, we're far better for letting Lukaku go.

We should never have signed him.

roonster09

Scout
You don't have to break down his appearances for me, im well aware. He did get to play but the last part of your post is really what I'm talking about. Solskjaer never backed him as our leading forward.

When I say he wasn't given a chance I'm alluding to Solskjaer coming in with plans to make Rashford our main CF not too long after he took the helm.

Solskjaer asked Lukaku, a proven PL goalscorer with more experience and better finishing than both Rashford and Martial, to play on the wings. Lukaku himself mentioned this as being a pivotal step towards his eventual exit from the club
Lukaku gave around 10 versions on why he wanted to leave, starting with "He wanted to leave from game 2". Lukaku barely played as winger, at best it was 2-4 games.

Shame Ole didnt worship Lukaku like Jose did, imagine asking player to fight for his position, that too for a mentally strong player like Lukaku who came up with "you are a grown ass man, deal with it" in the interview when talking about his teammates.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'

When I say he wasn't given a chance I'm alluding to Solskjaer coming in with plans to make Rashford our main CF not too long after he took the helm. I don't think he ever had him in his long term plans and it was pretty evident.

How is Januzaj doing these days? We all have our shortcomings! Seriously though, I've always admired Lukaku. He's grown into a world class forward

Haha!

See my first response
It’s definitely abit weird to favour a player who is so unaesthetically pleasing. It’s like if my favourite player was McTominay, he’s not a bad player but hardly makes you go wow. Personal opinion but I’d always favour a player with a bit of magic in them.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Loves Chelsea so much he chose to join us from Everton.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea
Werner will compete for two attacking mid spots behind striker role not no.9 spot with Lukaku in my opinion. Will also see two striker formation with Lukaku and Werner work in tandem in 5-3-2. The 5-3-2 will be used against mid and lower table teams with less of pressing needed.

Tuchel wanted Lukaku mostly for bringing other attackers into play with of course his goalscoring ability in my opinion. Havertz,werner,ziyech and pulisic all will benifit with Lukaku s arrival.

Chelsea were too one dimensional in attack with only Giroud able to hold the ball up but he was too slow in movement. With Lukaku chelsea hope his ability to hold the ball up and give outlet to play other attackers around him.

Despite this chelsea created some very good chances without compromising our defensive stability unlike Frank's tenure. Under Frank chelsea slightly created more chances but we played one more attacker in attacking third but compromised our defense as a result.

United in sin

Lukaku gave around 10 versions on why he wanted to leave, starting with "He wanted to leave from game 2". Lukaku barely played as winger, at best it was 2-4 games.

Shame Ole didnt worship Lukaku like Jose did, imagine asking player to fight for his position, that too for a mentally strong player like Lukaku who came up with "you are a grown ass man, deal with it" in the interview when talking about his teammates.
Do you think any top forward in any top league would accept a lesser role under new management and turn down a more experienced and proven manager willing to fight for them (Conte)? Kane, Zlatan, Lewandowski? I'm sure you'll laugh off my examples because I don't think you rate Lukaku highly, but it applies.

Last edited:

United in sin

It’s definitely abit weird to favour a player who is so unaesthetically pleasing. It’s like if my favourite player was McTominay, he’s not a bad player but hardly makes you go wow. Personal opinion but I’d always favour a player with a bit of magic in them.
McTominay is one of the most favored players among the united fanbase. He is indeed unaesthetically pleasing but that's a poor example.

Lukaku has magic, it's just not your flavor. He's not the most expensive player of all time for nothing.

roonster09

Scout
Do you think any top forward in any top league would accept a lesser role under new management? Kane, Zlatan, Lewandowski? I'm sure you'll laugh off my examples because I don't think you rate Lukaku highly, but it applies.
Thanks for saving the time by saying those examples are laughable.

If they stink up the place like Lukaku did then they will be dropped, they didn't/won't.

United in sin

Thanks for saving the time by saying those examples are laughable.

If they stink up the place like Lukaku did then they will be dropped, they didn't/won't.
Stink up the place? Geez! He scored one less goal in his opening season for us (27) than Zlatan did in his and he never took penalties, and scored more with his weaker foot, more variety of goals.

Season two was a disaster of a season under Mourinho for everyone but he provided us with our most memorable moments thus far in the post Fergie era by scoring twice against PSG in that 1-3 win and thereby securing Solskjaer the permanent position. You dislike the guy for whatever reason, but you're willfully being ignorant of his contributions even in our worst season in the PL era. He won us more points than Zlatan, helped us finish second in our best season since Fergie left.

Last edited:

roonster09

Scout
Stink up the place? Geez. Give over with your hatred of the man. He scored one less goal in his opening season for us (27) than Zlatan did in his and he never took penalties, and scored more with his weaker foot.

Season two was a disaster of a season under Mourinho for everyone but he provided us with our most memorable moments in the list Fergie era by scoring twice against PSG in that 1-3 win and thereby securing Solskjaer the permanent position. You dislike the guy for whatever reason, but you're willfully being ignorant of his contributions
Ole got the job because of Pogba, not because Lukaku scored couple of goals in a game.

He wasn't dropped when he scored 27 goals, he was rotated when he stunk the place in second season.

Hatred? Now I should be saying "these fecking Fan boys" or "stop sucking his", well no need I guess.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
First post in here since he signed for Chelsea. I’ve stuck with him since he left. He’s not nearly as bad as he has been made out to be by some on here. He’s going to do really well. 20 plus goals in an already successful side just crying out for a focal point in the final third. Hopefully for us he continues to struggle to impose himself in the bigger matches with less space to run into and tighter marking but I can see him becoming bordline unplayable for spells. He’s going to score two against Arsenal for starters. Glad he’s come back so we can put this argument to bed for once and for all.

He looks lean mean and motivated to be fair to him. Ugh. If we’d kept him we wouldn’t have had the Ighalo and whatever else journey. I prefer Cavani as he’s a better technical footballer and more intense but this is Cavanis last year. I think Rom will be a leading PL striker from now till he leaves and the narrative will always be about how we didn’t rate him or treat him well enough. If we don’t end up with Haaland and get some middling player instead it’s going to go on and on while he bangs them in.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Stink up the place? Geez! He scored one less goal in his opening season for us (27) than Zlatan did in his and he never took penalties, and scored more with his weaker foot, more variety of goals.

Season two was a disaster of a season under Mourinho for everyone but he provided us with our most memorable moments thus far in the post Fergie era by scoring twice against PSG in that 1-3 win and thereby securing Solskjaer the permanent position. You dislike the guy for whatever reason, but you're willfully being ignorant of his contributions even in our worst season in the PL era. He won us more points than Zlatan, helped us finish second in our best season since Fergie left.
To be fair Lukaku started like a house on fire, but then for some reason around christmas he tailed off.

It doesn't help that he looked fat and unfit when he played for us, and then the comments when he did leave left a bitter taste in most fans mouths.

He wasn't ready for a big club at that point.
I guess that's why he flopped at one then.

Threesus

I think he will be a hit for Chelsea. Shame that it didn’t work out for him here.

Also, why does he speak like he is from America? Bro, you are from Antwerp.

Posh Red

First post in here since he signed for Chelsea. I’ve stuck with him since he left. He’s not nearly as bad as he has been made out to be by some on here. He’s going to do really well. 20 plus goals in an already successful side just crying out for a focal point in the final third. Hopefully for us he continues to struggle to impose himself in the bigger matches with less space to run into and tighter marking but I can see him becoming bordline unplayable for spells. He’s going to score two against Arsenal for starters. Glad he’s come back so we can put this argument to bed for once and for all.

He looks lean mean and motivated to be fair to him. Ugh. If we’d kept him we wouldn’t have had the Ighalo and whatever else journey. I prefer Cavani as he’s a better technical footballer and more intense but this is Cavanis last year. I think Rom will be a leading PL striker from now till he leaves and the narrative will always be about how we didn’t rate him or treat him well enough. If we don’t end up with Haaland and get some middling player instead it’s going to go on and on while he bangs them in.
This seems like a strange point of view given you seem to rate him quite highly, and he plays for a direct rival