Romelu Lukaku | Chelsea

United in sin

Ole got the job because of Pogba, not because Lukaku scored couple of goals in a game.

He wasn't dropped when he scored 27 goals, he was rotated when he stunk the place in second season.

Hatred? Now I should be saying "these fecking Fan boys" or "stop sucking his", well no need I guess.
Lukaku scored 10 goals under Solskjaer, Pogba scored 11 and 5 were penalties. Lukaku scored in four games straight after his first appearance under Solskjaer. Not even Zlatan had a run like that.

He scored goals against Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Reading, got an assist against Chelsea in the FA cup playing on the wings, scored braces against Crystal Palace, Southampton and PSG. Stunk up the place indeed. You simply dislike the man

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
He was not a hindrance to the rest of the team at Inter, he was an important player in their general play. As for the team scoring less, here are Inter's last 10 seasons:

• 11/12: 58 goals, 6th place.
  • 12/13: 55 goals, 9th place.
  • 13/14: 62 goals, 5th place.
  • 14/15: 59 goals, 8th place.
  • 15/16: 50 goals, 4th place.
  • 16/17: 72 goals, 7th place.
  • 17/18: 66 goals, 4th place.
  • 18/19: 57 goals, 4th place.
  • 19/20: 81 goals, 2nd place.
  • 20/21: 89 goals, 1st place.
That's the two highest scoring and best placing seasons with Lukaku in the team, by quite a margin. Of course he didn't do that on his own, but you'd have to do some insane gymnastics to argue that it was in spite of him.
Doubt it has to do with Lukaku. It's on Conte's tactics. At Chelsea they managed 85 goals in his first season (Costa 20, Hazard 16 , Pedro 10, Willian 8). They have yet to score more than 70 goals in the league.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
McTominay is one of the most favored players among the united fanbase. He is indeed unaesthetically pleasing but that's a poor example.

Lukaku has magic, it's just not your flavor. He's not the most expensive player of all time for nothing.
You can maybe favour him for his work rate, mentality and personality but there's no way you can watch him and Pogba play and decide you'd rather watch McTominay. The best players (and most loved/admired) usually combine it all!

I don't think Lukaku has any real magic, he's a good solid goalscorer let down by technical deficiencies which stop him from performing in big games and at the absolute top level. I'd also assume you are a Utd fan so why would you favour a player who 1) left us and 2) did so pretty disrespectfully, I again can't really understand. Clearly, you are a bigger fan of the guy for me but I never wanted him at Utd because he's just the polar opposite to the kind of player I enjoy watching and he proved that ultimately he couldn't cut it for us.

NotThatSoph

Doubt it has to do with Lukaku. It's on Conte's tactics. At Chelsea they managed 85 goals in his first season (Costa 20, Hazard 16 , Pedro 10, Willian 8). They have yet to score more than 70 goals in the league.
Oh, don't worry, everyone knows that you doubt it has anything to do with Lukaku.

Chelsea last 10 years:

• 11/12: 65 goals, 6th place.
  • 12/13: 75 goals, 3rd place.
  • 13/14: 71 goals, 3rd place.
  • 14/15: 73 goals, 1st place.
  • 15/16: 59 goals, 10th place.
  • 16/17: 85 goals, 1st place.
  • 17/18: 62 goals, 5th place.
  • 18/19: 63 goals, 3rd place.
  • 19/20: 69 goals, 4th place.
  • 20/21: 58 goals, 4th place.

One high-scoring season under Conte, one ordinary. In the first season they had a very good Diego Costa up top, in the second they had a shit Morata. In 18/19 they had Morata and Higuain, both shit. In 19/20 Abraham and Giroud, and 20/21 it was Werner and Abraham.

Turns out strikers matter.

GifLord

Oh, don't worry, everyone knows that you doubt it has anything to do with Lukaku.

Chelsea last 10 years:

• 11/12: 65 goals, 6th place.
  • 12/13: 75 goals, 3rd place.
  • 13/14: 71 goals, 3rd place.
  • 14/15: 73 goals, 1st place.
  • 15/16: 59 goals, 10th place.
  • 16/17: 85 goals, 1st place.
  • 17/18: 62 goals, 5th place.
  • 18/19: 63 goals, 3rd place.
  • 19/20: 69 goals, 4th place.
  • 20/21: 58 goals, 4th place.

One high-scoring season under Conte, one ordinary. In the first season they had a very good Diego Costa up top, in the second they had a shit Morata. In 18/19 they had Morata and Higuain, both shit. In 19/20 Abraham and Giroud, and 20/21 it was Werner and Abraham.

Turns out strikers matter.
You're also completely forgetting they played in Europe in his 2nd season and Conte can't play in more than one competition at a time which he's proven at Inter aswell.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
is Lukaku similar player to Heskey or Drogba ?
Never really got the comparisions with Drogba they're nothing alike.

If I had to force a comparison with a striker from that era I would actually say prime Torres.

GifLord

Never really got the comparisions with Drogba they're nothing alike.

If I had to force a comparison with a striker from that era I would actually say prime Torres.
He's nowhere near prime Torres :lol:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Just seems odd that you’d be happy to see a player who you rate so highly join a rival club
I just want to see how much has the player actually improved without the retirement league excuse. I’m looking forward to some of the more bullish posters eating their words. As long as he doesn’t start scoring against us again I don’t really care… I think he was the right signing at wrong time for us. Long term i think it made sense because he had the potential to be one of the best in the country year in year out. Falling out with Pogba and what Jose wanted him to be made the situation all wrong for him. He totally lost motivation and I can see why some fans resent him for that but he’s a good player. If we sold Pogba instead when they fell out we’d have a 100 million striker and money in the bank from the Pogba sale instead of Pogba possibly leaving on a free and searching for a 100 million striker next summer.

NotThatSoph

You're also completely forgetting they played in Europe in his 2nd season and Conte can't play in more than one competition at a time which he's proven at Inter aswell.
You're so hilariously predictable. Conte has won the league with Juve while going further in the CL than he did with Chelsea that season, and finished one point behind a very strong Juve team while reaching the final of the Europa League.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
He's nowhere near prime Torres :lol:
I'm talking in terms of their respective strengths. Both thrive on runs in behind and have excellent acceleration from a standing start.

GifLord

You're so hilariously predictable. Conte has won the league with Juve while going further in the CL than he did with Chelsea that season, and finished one point behind a very strong Juve team while reaching the final of the Europa League.
And you're so obviously fanboying. Strong Juventus team? They lost against Lyon in the Champions League. Inter only won the league last season because they were out of the UCL in DECEMBER and Juve appointed a complete newb as a manager - the number of points they dropped against bottom 10 teams - last time it happened was over 10 years ago.

NotThatSoph

And you're so obviously fanboying. Strong Juventus team? They lost against Lyon in the Champions League. Inter only won the league last season because they were out of the UCL in DECEMBER and Juve appointed a complete newb as a manager - the number of points they dropped against bottom 10 teams - last time it happened was over 10 years ago.
Inter finished with 91 points, eight more than Juve the year before managed by the complete newb Sarri.

But we were talking about Chelsea. The reason he did bad with Chelsea was because they played in Europe, even though he has done well with both Juve and Inter while playing more in Europe. Right? It can't be because having functioning strikers is important, that's impossible. That's me fanboying over ... Costa now I guess. Sure, Costa is a good player, while Morata isn't. That's my whole point, you've really got me there.

Oranges038

If his first touch hasn't improved then I don't see him being any better than he was for Utd or Everton.

He'll still be shit in tight games but will probably rack up 20-25 goals by scoring against the canon fodder or scoring the 3rd or 4th goal in a game that's already done.

Steve 007

The question is how many PL goals is Lukaku worth.
Here is his PL goal record.

Only once has he scored more than 20 compared to Kane who has done it 5 times. Won 3 golden boots and won player of the month 6 times compared to Lukaku’s great tally of 1.

Ole sold Lukaku for a reason, he’s not the messiah some people are making him out to be.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham

Only once has he scored more than 20 compared to Kane who has done it 5 times. Won 3 golden boots and won player of the month 6 times compared to Lukaku’s great tally of 1.

Ole sold Lukaku for a reason, he’s not the messiah some people are making him out to be.
I have a tenner on him being top goal scorer TBH, not that I think he is a world class talent but I think he will suit Chelsea perfectly.

Shark

@NotShark
If his first touch hasn't improved then I don't see him being any better than he was for Utd or Everton.

He'll still be shit in tight games but will probably rack up 20-25 goals by scoring against the canon fodder or scoring the 3rd or 4th goal in a game that's already done.
It's not only his first touch, last time was in the PL he was getting shrugged off the ball by players half his size. This league us notoriously more physical and doesn't grant you half the space Serie A does.

GifLord

Inter finished with 91 points, eight more than Juve the year before managed by the complete newb Sarri.

But we were talking about Chelsea. The reason he did bad with Chelsea was because they played in Europe, even though he has done well with both Juve and Inter while playing more in Europe. Right? It can't be because having functioning strikers is important, that's impossible. That's me fanboying over ... Costa now I guess. Sure, Costa is a good player, while Morata isn't. That's my whole point, you've really got me there.
Are you stupid?!?!?
Under Conte Inter had it's worst ever seasons in Champions League despite spending a shit ton of money. 2019-20 3rd Out of GS - lost in EL Final, 2020-21 Out of GS last - scored 0 goals against mighty Shaktar home and away.
Also finished 3rd in GS with Juventus in 2013-14

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
It's not only his first touch, last time was in the PL he was getting shrugged off the ball by players half his size. This league us notoriously more physical and doesn't grant you half the space Serie A does.

I think the fact he’s fitter, has lots of previous experience in the league and knows what it takes, is going back to the club he supports and has unfinished business at, for a massive fee as the main man… I think it’s a perfect storm. He’ll be like a man possessed. He was clearly lacking in confidence and killer instinct here. I don’t think that will be a problem for him at Chelsea

Steve 007

I have a tenner on him being top goal scorer TBH, not that I think he is a world class talent but I think he will suit Chelsea perfectly.
I am sure he’ll get 20 goals. That doesn’t change Chelsea’s top 4 struggles unless others start putting the ball in the net. Let’s be honest the only reason Chelsea got too 4 last season is because Leceister flopped at the last hurdle.

NotThatSoph

Are you stupid?!?!?
Under Conte Inter had it's worst ever seasons in Champions League despite spending a shit ton of money. 2019-20 3rd Out of GS - lost in EL Final, 2020-21 Out of GS last - scored 0 goals against mighty Shaktar home and away.
Also finished 3rd in GS with Juventus in 2013-14
Yes, and he won the league with Juve while reaching the quarters in the CL, and finished one point behind Juve while reaching the final of the EL with Inter. He clearly can perform in the league while playing in Europe, he has done it several times.

In both of those seasons he played more in Europe than he did with Chelsea the season he finished fifth, a performance you're trying to blame on Chelsea playing in Europe.

Sure, I might be stupid, but that doesn't really help you here. In fact it makes your flailing even worse.

GifLord

Yes, and he won the league with Juve while reaching the quarters in the CL, and finished one point behind Juve while reaching the final of the EL with Inter. He clearly can perform in the league while playing in Europe, he has done it several times.

In both of those seasons he played more in Europe than he did with Chelsea the season he finished fifth, a performance you're trying to blame on Chelsea playing in Europe.

Sure, I might be stupid, but that doesn't really help you here. In fact it makes your flailing even worse.
They played against fecking Ludogorets,Getafe, Neverkusen and Shaktar for crying out loud :lol:

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
I am sure he’ll get 20 goals. That doesn’t change Chelsea’s top 4 struggles unless others start putting the ball in the net. Let’s be honest the only reason Chelsea got too 4 last season is because Leceister flopped at the last hurdle.
Lets be honest, Since Tuchel took over last season, Chelsea had the second most wins in the league and went from 9th to 4th.

Last edited:

NotThatSoph

They played against fecking Ludogorets,Getafe, Neverkusen and Shaktar for crying out loud :lol:
Alright, so when you said playing in more than one competition you didn't mean it. It doesn't matter that Chelsea played eight matches in Europe while Inter played 12. You're still stuck with the fact that he won with Juve while going further in the CL, but I'm sure that won't matter either. The reason Conte finished fifth with Chelsea is that they crashed out at the last 16 in the CL on a 4-1 aggregate vs Barcelona, not because they had an attack that didn't function.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
They had nearly have a season with Fat Frank, I think Chelsea will win the tittle, just my opnion.

Oranges038

I don't think he likes defenders being aggressive and physical with him.

Aside from being lazy and overweight, his first touch and the other aspects of his game really let him down at Utd, like his passing, dribbling and link up play.

I don't see any major improvements in these areas to suggest he'll be much better this time around.

GifLord

Alright, so when you said playing in more than one competition you didn't mean it. It doesn't matter that Chelsea played eight matches in Europe while Inter played 12. You're still stuck with the fact that he won with Juve while going further in the CL, but I'm sure that won't matter either. The reason Conte finished fifth with Chelsea is that they crashed out at the last 16 in the CL on a 4-1 aggregate vs Barcelona, not because they had an attack that didn't function.
That was over 8 years ago mate. In his last season he got fecked by Galatasaray in UCL and then finished 3rd in GS. I very much doubt he'd even win the EPL title with Chelsea if they were playing in UCL because the guy doesn't know how to ROTATE players.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Lukaku scored 10 goals under Solskjaer, Pogba scored 11 and 5 were penalties. Lukaku scored in four games straight after his first appearance under Solskjaer. Not even Zlatan had a run like that.

He scored goals against Huddersfield, Bournemouth, Newcastle, Reading, got an assist against Chelsea in the FA cup playing on the wings, scored braces against Crystal Palace, Southampton and PSG. Stunk up the place indeed. You simply dislike the man
Lukaku scored 9 goals and 2 assists under Ole. Pogba scored 11 goals and 7 assists under Ole. One player is a CF and other player is a CM who was played in deeper role after first few games.

Also Lukaku didn't assist vs Chelsea in FA cup. It was Herrera and Pogba goals with Pogba and Rashford's assist. Also he didn't play against Huddesfield. Must be some great player to score goal without even playing the game.

I don't understand how any ManUtd can't dislike a player who talked big, stunk up the pitch (trying to compete with Mark Henry for strongest man) and then ran away the moment he had to compete for his position.

Yeah I dislike the man which is much better than worshipping him like you do.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

He will score decent number of goals, Chelsea create good chances so he will score decent number of goals. As usual people will lose their shit and start to rewrite his 2018-19 season.

The player was so unprofessional that he wanted out the moment he had to compete for his place, bulked up like a sumo wrestler and then missed preseason training to force the move. Apart from all that he leaked training data to prove some random point. All this while talking like a big man when he was such a cry baby.

NotThatSoph

That was over 8 years ago mate. In his last season he got fecked by Galatasaray in UCL and then finished 3rd in GS. I very much doubt he'd even win the EPL title with Chelsea if they were playing in UCL because the guy doesn't know how to ROTATE players.
Alright, this is what we got:

• Chelsea went from 1st to 5th not because of the players, but because they played some matches in Europe.
  • This is because Conte can't perform in the League while playing in Europe.
    • Well, he can, but the Europa League doesn't count.
    • He also can, but eight years ago doesn't count.
  • Bottom line: It doesn't matter who plays in attack. Morata would have done just as good as Costa if Chelsea didn't have to play some European matches, never mind that he hasn't really performed since.

GifLord

Alright, this is what we got:

• Chelsea went from 1st to 5th not because of the players, but because they played some matches in Europe.
  • This is because Conte can't perform in the League while playing in Europe.
    • Well, he can, but the Europa League doesn't count.
    • He also can, but eight years ago doesn't count.
  • Bottom line: It doesn't matter who plays in attack. Morata would have done just as good as Costa if Chelsea didn't have to play some European matches, never mind that he hasn't really performed since.
Ok im wrong you win. Lukaku's gonna shit the league all hail the firs touch king.
Im done with fanboys

NotThatSoph

Ok im wrong you win. Lukaku's gonna shit the league all hail the firs touch king.
Im done with fanboys
Standard @GifLord.

You make some insane claims, then when you get some oppostion you pretend that those who disagree with you are saying something completely different. You're a joke.

I don't think Lukaku is "gonna shit the league", and while the first touch stuff is exaggerated it's clearly not close to his best trait. I do however think that him being Inter's top scorer and top assister had something to do with how many goals Inter scored, which I admit is something only a fanboy would believe. I also believe that Costa playing orders of magnitude better than Morata impacted how many goals Chelsea scored. Again, crazy fanboy me.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

What tends to be forgotten about that season is we were actually 2nd going into new year and got out of a very tough UCL group, granted we were miles behind City but it was still was a decent season at that point especially factoring in the awful summer window we had.

It was the second half of that season (where we only had two games in Europe) where it all went wrong.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
He's a good striker and will get you goals. I'm just glad he doesn't play for us.

NotThatSoph

What tends to be forgotten about that season is we were actually 2nd going into new year and got out of a very tough UCL group, granted we were miles behind City but it was still was a decent season at that point especially factoring in the awful summer window we had.

It was the second half of that season (where we only had two games in Europe) where it all went wrong.
True. After the new year Morata scored once and Giroud three times.

GifLord

Standard @GifLord.

You make some insane claims, then when you get some oppostion you pretend that those who disagree with you are saying something completely different. You're a joke.

I don't think Lukaku is "gonna shit the league", and while the first touch stuff is exaggerated it's clearly not close to his best trait. I do however think that him being Inter's top scorer and top assister had something to do with how many goals Inter scored, which I admit is something only a fanboy would believe. I also believe that Costa playing orders of magnitude better than Morata impacted how many goals Chelsea scored. Again, crazy fanboy me.
What insane claims? Conte's a joke in Europe thats a proven fact.

Rajiztar

Supports
Chelsea

Conte one of the best if not best managers in the world. Without messi pep still struggle to win champions league and he went to final once despite spent around 1.2 bn including his bayern days. Nobody claimed he is bad manager.

Saf too went out thrice in group stages from cl. Didn't make him bad manager either. Some times cl proved tough even for elite managers.